Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553625 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4725 on: May 24, 2014, 04:32:25 AM »
The 2nd is a massive improvement on the first. Compared to the pedigree it came from, it's still not a very good movie, but if you want to see some old actors do some scenery chewing, it's not bad. The 3rd is going to be a train wreak with the number of MMA fighters they have cast.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: May 24, 2014, 09:08:46 AM »
I think the 3rd is also going to be PG-13.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: May 24, 2014, 12:13:53 PM »
Saw Amazing Spiderman 2, enjoyed it more than the first one. When they killed Gwen Stacy the audience let out a gasp

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: May 25, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Excellent. They did a really good job of bringing the original cast and the First Class cast together as well as correcting a lot of the discrepancies between all the movies. Still, much of that involved pretending some things didn't happen or focusing on certain things (e.g. flashbacks show Brian Cox as William Stryker from X2: X-Men United, not Danny Huston X-Men Origins: Screw Deadpool). Days of Future Past effectively resets the series and only First Class remains unchanged by the events of Days of Future Past.

Also, the future Sentinels were pretty cool. I'll have to watch it again, but I don't recall disliking anything. The stakes are high and the characters drive the plot, their actions are given real weight. Each relationship is complex and handled well. And I'll eat this crow and admit that Quicksilver was awesome. I suppose if I had to nitpick, the movie could have used more Quicksilver.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: May 25, 2014, 12:32:15 PM »
Quicksilver being so good is why people need to stop bitching and moaning about casting choices and what prerelease photos show you about a character. You don't know how many times I had to say this on reddit and other websites, and no one ever listened. And guess what? They are eating their words. I believe that people shouldn't hate on things like Bat-fleck until they see the movie. Who knows, they might actually enjoy the film instead of going in hating it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: May 25, 2014, 02:29:04 PM »
I didn't have any major issues with the casting (I thought Evan Peters was alright in American Horror Story) or design (according to a friend, the Internet really hated those goggles while I just figured Quicksilver didn't want **** getting in his eyes so it made sense to me). I'm pretty open to casting and design choices until I see it in action. That said, I was referring to the Carl's Jr. Quicksilver commercial which was an awful way to introduce the character.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:30:55 PM by Adrock »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: May 25, 2014, 02:38:37 PM »
Just saw it too, awesome movie. Kind of weird that they don't ever explain how Professor X was still alive before they send Wolverine back, obviously Jean Grey never became the Phoenix, because the stuff in the first two X-Men movies never happened now, but that only explains why he's alive at the end of the movie. They probably will explain it in the next movie, and I'm sure it'll have something to do with Kitty Pride and the post-credits scene from X-Men 3. Don't forget to stay for the post-credits scene where a youthful Apocalypse is building the pyramids with his mind.

Awesome movie, and yes, it could have used more Quicksilver. Kind of funny when he sort of figures out that Magneto is his father, and yes, "that scene" is totally awesome and redeems the stupid Carls Jr. commercial.

In general, most of the remaining inconsistencies are from X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but in general it's best to pretend like that movie never happened anyway.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:25:39 PM by Brandogg »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: May 26, 2014, 11:31:53 AM »
Say what you want about Quicksilver in the Carl's Jr commercial, but he made that sandwich look damn good.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: May 26, 2014, 06:15:02 PM »
The sandwich would have looked good regardless of Quicksilver's involvement in the ad. Sure made me want a bacon cheese burger.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: May 26, 2014, 06:56:50 PM »
He was so into it, and eating it in slow-mo.... that made me hungry.
Quicksilver himself looked like a doofus, but he made that sandwich look oh so yummy.

I still haven't had one, but it was only because I made it to Carl's Jr just too late for breakfast the last 2 times I went there.

But I find it funny that Quicksilver was the shining light in the DoFP movie. I'm still not hyped to go see it (way too much disappointment in X3 & XO: Wolverine), even though this does what it can to right the ship. I might go next weekend, but now that I hear Godzilla may not even be all that... that only leaves me with The Neighbors... yet another movie I wasn't rushing to the theater to go see, to round out my movie day.

It could be a good day. I'm sure I'll like all 3 even thought I've not super excited to watch any of them.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:04:27 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: May 26, 2014, 08:44:42 PM »
If you liked X-Men First Class and X-Men 2, then you will like X-Men DOFP.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4736 on: May 27, 2014, 09:26:11 AM »
Godzilla: I-Max 3D

Honestly, the movie would've been better if I wasn't expecting Godzilla. Although, waiting for him to appear built up a lot tension and suspense.  Plus the build up involving the other two monsters was pretty cool.  The movie looked great, and I think there was just the right amount of shaky-cam.  There's a lot of holding off on showing Godzilla in full force until the end, but I felt like that was worth it.  One gripe: so many fucking kids in this movie.  And all of them get closeups of them not acting.  It was weird.

8/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: May 28, 2014, 05:03:36 AM »
Can someone fill in a plot point for me?

In The Wolverine Magneto/Xavier appears and talks to him in the airport at the tail of that film, with his bone claws. In DOFP he's with them and he has adamantium claws back (in the future scenes). How did he get them back when he lost them in the film before?

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: May 28, 2014, 05:26:04 AM »
^
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: May 28, 2014, 07:58:41 AM »

In The Wolverine Magneto/Xavier appears and talks to him in the airport at the tail of that film, with his bone claws. In DOFP he's with them and he has adamantium claws back (in the future scenes). How did he get them back when he lost them in the film before?
Apparently, they cut a scene where Magneto puts the adamantium back on Wolverine's bones. Not sure if that needed spoiler tags, but it's there just in case.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4740 on: May 28, 2014, 09:58:23 AM »

Apparently, they cut a scene where Magneto puts the adamantium back on Wolverine's bones. Not sure if that needed spoiler tags, but it's there just in case.

From what I've read, it wasn't a cut scene, but the director of The Wolverine wasn't aware of what was going on with DoFP and was already halfway into filming before details of the movie started surfacing (like Director & script). So B. Singer conceptualized a scene w/ Magneto doing the assist to explain the inconcistency (on twitter) as another fan already asked the same question.

From what I hear it's just one of many continuity errors in DoFP. I can't confirm that as I haven't seen the movie or read the many spoiler articles pointing them all out yet.

« Reply #4741 on: May 29, 2014, 09:49:34 PM »
Hick-

I just watched this on Netflix, got it as a suggestion from Max.

I am not sure what to think, it was a slow, boring ride but somehow I kept going. I had high hopes considering the talents of the actress playing the lead, but after getting through this movie I now have my doubts about her future. The movie had one of those Hollywood endings that ruined the rest of the movie. I didn't feel any tension whatsoever for the character, it was just like no matter what happened she just kept going along with it. The movie got a little dark near the end and had one of those moments that you could spot coming a mile away but in the end it kind of worked. The resolution was not that great considering how the story ended. You had no reason at all to feel anything for the characters and the way it ended just felt rushed. The actress was pretty good for what it was but the other characters were just flat and lifeless. The leading man was kind of just there he didn't convey any real emotion at all. All things considered despite it's flaws and a few darker moments, I like a movie having an happy ending so I rated it 3 out of 5 stars. I know I said I like happy endings and that the ending ruined the movie, well it was because there was no tension to get me to feel relieved for her outcome in the first place, it just felt almost I don't know like the ending was planned and the rest of the movie was made up as they went along.

Pumpkin-

This was a weird little movie. I also got this from Max and I gotta say it was a nice surprise. I had never heard of this movie, being a fan of Christina Ricci I was surprised I had never heard of it. It was one of those movies that should have been creepy but ended up being just weird instead. It had some good moments and some odd moments but over all I actually kind of liked it. I tend to like weird movies, especially those that make the "establishment" look bad and regular freaks out to be normal.

The acting in this one was much better than Hick, the story was a bit better developed and the characters were actually believable. It has some unbelievably ridiculous moments especially towards the ending , but overall it was kind of interesting. I gave it also 3 out of four stars but the very last shot kind of really made the rest of the movie worth it. It was a little slow but it had a good pay off. Also again I like happy endings for these kinds of movies so that was nice. It was a little bittersweet but not too bad. If I had seen this when it was new I might have liked it more but I am well past my watch anything she is in phase just for the hell of it, phase.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:51:09 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: May 30, 2014, 01:47:52 PM »
In The Blood

I basically just watch whatever people are showing on Veetle when I'm at work, if you're looking at an explanation for all the horrible movies I've been posting about.

Anyway, terrible movie, and Gina Carano is a horrible actress. Probably not her fault, as this was just pure garbage, but she could have at least put some effort into her speaking parts and not just talked every line like it was an every day conversation.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: May 30, 2014, 03:58:07 PM »
She is a terrible actress, which is probably why she wasn't cast as Wonder Woman beside her real life hubby Superman in BvS:DoJ.
In her big theater debut they dubbed over her voice it was so bad.
In FastSix I don't think she actually had a spoken line.
She does action well, but spoken lines are her downfall.

« Reply #4744 on: May 31, 2014, 11:48:46 AM »
I decided to give the Hunger Games a try, since it is so popular right now and Netflix seriously seems to think I might like it. I could not get very far it was boring as all hell and really stupid plot. It kind of reminded me of Running Man only minus the spectacle that made Running Man tolerable despite how terrible of a movie it was. Maybe that was where they got the suggestion from was because I did add Running Man to my list recently when they first added it. Anyways I don't think I will even try giving it another shot it clearly looks like it was made for todays youth audience which is not me.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: May 31, 2014, 05:35:26 PM »
lol

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: May 31, 2014, 08:10:14 PM »
Anyways I don't think I will even try giving it another shot it clearly looks like it was made for todays youth audience which is not me.

If you don't mind me asking, as it's not in your profile, how old are you?
I think the average age of the active posters here are around 30+yrs old (children of the 80's).

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: June 01, 2014, 02:55:09 PM »
Maleficent - A film in which "why?" makes the primary plot fall down hard, but Angelina Jolie completely nailed the title character.

Edge of Tomorrow - If you have Netflix or other VOD i'd recommend watching an episode of Stargate SG1 called Window of Opportunity (in season 4), as that episode is better than the movie i say. However i really do like Emily Blunt as a hardass soldier. The film skips over why the aliens comes here - except that they do and why does it matter? - and skips even harder over how does the power remain with the person and why does blood transfusions make you lose the power to reset time? Except it does and that's that.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: June 01, 2014, 07:34:39 PM »
Or you could just read the source material which is probably better than both the movie and that Stargate episode.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #4749 on: June 01, 2014, 10:12:23 PM »
The Devil's Backbone -- from what I understand, this is del Toro's first "big" film. It was billed as a horror movie, but it's not really that at all. It's about orphans in a middle-of-nowhere boarding school (or something) and there's a mean dude who wants to steal some supposedly hidden gold? It's not super-clear. The "horror" angle comes from a ghost who appears to one of the kids every now and then, but none of the creepy horror elements from other del Toro elements show up here.

Also takes place during, or shortly after, the Spanish Civil War, which is also when Pan's Labyrinth is set.

I didn't really like it, mainly because it was slow-moving and I didn't get what I was promised.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.