Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553805 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4200 on: May 23, 2013, 02:07:44 AM »
**** yeah, "The Constant" was brilliant. Should've almost been its own movie.

Just got done with Children of Men. Probably one of the best movies of seen all year. Don't even look up what the movie is about: just go into it blind.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: May 23, 2013, 02:54:33 AM »
Alfonso Cuaron is amazing.

Hyped for his next movie, Gravity.

This year promises to be amazing for sci-fi movies.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: May 23, 2013, 03:05:57 AM »
imagine if he did a wii u panorama video?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: June 17, 2013, 11:10:44 AM »
My gf dragged me to see Fast and Furious 6 and while I knew I wouldn't like it because I've never been a fan of the series, I couldn't believe how bad it really was. I was hoping it would at least have decent action but it was all so dull to me.

The worst part is they "hint" at yet another sequel which means if I'm still with this girl and she still has a crush on Vin Diesel, I'll have to sit through that garbage too.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #4204 on: June 17, 2013, 11:35:09 AM »
So.... Man of Steel...

I guess it's a thing to remake sequels. First, Star Trek II, now Superman II.

It made $130 million over the weekend, everyone loves it. Woo. Not me, though. Its a summer blockbuster, not a story of the character. So, if you see the film, leave your fanboy shirt at the door.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #4205 on: June 17, 2013, 12:15:13 PM »
Its a summer blockbuster

As opposed to all those superhero movies that aren't summer blockbusters... ?
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4206 on: June 17, 2013, 12:32:17 PM »
gbuell is right, being a summer blockbuster has nothing to do with quality. It's like assuming all indie movies are good. There are good indie movies, but MANY bad ones. "Summer blockbuster" just refers to a movie with a big budget that is released in summer.

And I loved Fast Five (great theatre type movie), but a friend who saw it with me says she didn't like Fast & Furious 6 because it didn't have anywhere near as much action.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4207 on: June 17, 2013, 07:50:54 PM »
I liked Fast 6. As one of several movies I've seen recently, it was one of the best. Gave me everything I wanted. Was it dumb? Yes. But **** you, anyway.

Man of Steel: Yeah, leave the fanboy **** at the door. BUT there were so many moments in the film that I hated. The script was a bit too heavy handed. One thing that irked me on both a movie and fanboy level: It was flat out stated that Earth's yellow sun gave Superman his powers, but the "atmosphere" also did? Like, he lost his powers because of the atmosphere on the ship, and Zod (et al.) gained some when they started breathing Earth's air? But they already had the super strength? What? Also, after all the marketing around it, they don't tell you how he shaves. He just does.

Now You See Me: They get away without explaining a lot of the tricks by only explaining the big ones. The characters are good. Very fun movie.

Star Trek: I liked this too. But Kirk's character had some changes to develop, but they just decided to gloss over all of them. And that bothered me.

After Earth: Jaden Smith wasn't good enough for this role. The script seemed like it was made to make it easy for him, but he couldn't do it. The accents probably didn't help.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: June 17, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »
You kids and your superhero movies. I don't think of the original Superman as a 'summer blockbuster' film, and that's the bar I hold for all future Superman films. I also didn't say it was good or bad. Instead of being a masterpiece of storytelling or whatever, it's "just" a summer blockbuster.

Superman doesn't kill, at least not with his bare hands.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: June 18, 2013, 01:19:33 AM »
I sat through 5 movies at the theater yesterday (Happy Fathers Day to me!!... 11hours at the theater)

Star Trek - Once again, a Trek Movie for new people to the series, as I can only imagine how actual Trekkies must hate these new versions. It has a few call backs for fans of old, but I enjoy this new series.

Fast 6 - LONGEST RUNWAY EVER!!!! seriously. 15 minutes down a runway at almost flight speeds and still didn't run out of room... Enjoyable movie otherwise.
and not to ruin it, but it looks like they have made a list of what order the movies go in:
Fast & the Furious; 2Fast & 2Furious; Fast & The Furious 4; Fast 5; Furious 6; F&F3: Tokyo Drift
and then the upcoming Fast 7

Man of Steel - better than I expected but still not as good as I hoped. and as pointed out before, some things just didn't seem right. but it was enjoyable. I'm interested to see where they go next.
even more interested to see if the success of this movie leads to the rumored Justice League movie.
edit: Can I just say that after watching Smallville for all 10 seasons and that being what I picture when you say Clark Kent, Hencry Cavill very much looked like Clark Kent.
BUT... his Superman should have kept the beard.

Now You See Me - Not as good of a movie as The Prestige & (what was that other magic movie that came out around the same time?) but was very entertaining. Some of it was CG Magic and not "OOOhhh how did they do that" magic, but I enjoyed it overall.

The Purge - I kinda fell asleep trough this one, it was the 10th & 11th hour of movies for the day. But WTF is wrong with people. I'm not sure how or why some of the things in this movie were supposed to make sense, but it wasn't a horrible movie. It was actually pretty entertaining (for the parts I was awake for).
edit: there is a part where an older boy wants to date the teenage daughter but the dad won't let them, so on the night of the purge, he holds up in the house, surprises his "girlfriend" in her room, turns down sex, and then proceed to attempted murder her dad so that he can final be with the daughter...
I'm not sure what made him think that's the best way to win the affections of your GF... not very well thought out at all.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:29:49 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4210 on: June 18, 2013, 01:38:41 AM »
and not to ruin it, but it looks like they have made a list of what order the movies go in:

Not really ruining, the timeline has been out there for a long time:
The Fast and the Furious
Turbo-Charged Prelude (a series of shorts totaling 6 minutes)
2 Fast 2 Furious
Fast & Furious
Los Bandoleros (a 20 minute short film released for free)
Fast Five
Fast & Furious 6
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fast & Furious 7
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: June 18, 2013, 02:01:53 AM »
I didn't know about the short, but I was just basing it off the clips form teh beginning and end of the movie leading into the teaser for Fast 7 starring Jason Statham

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: June 18, 2013, 02:37:05 AM »
You kids and your superhero movies. I don't think of the original Superman as a 'summer blockbuster' film, and that's the bar I hold for all future Superman films. I also didn't say it was good or bad. Instead of being a masterpiece of storytelling or whatever, it's "just" a summer blockbuster.

Superman doesn't kill, at least not with his bare hands.

superman used to throw random somewhat innocent people around in the 40s. Superman's decision was tough. Superman felt like an outsider, alone. When Zod came to his planet his first message was "you are not alone", Zod could have been another father. He was a man who lost 2 fathers, and had to kill this one in order to save some random innocent people. Superman had an even tougher choice, Genocide of humans or Genocide of his own people, he picked killing off his own people. By murdering Zod he did exactly the opposite of what Jor-El would have wanted. Either way the bloodline of Jor El is the one bloodline in a twisted way

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: June 18, 2013, 02:57:43 AM »
Henry Cavill's beard was magnificent.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: June 18, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
I'm waiting to see Man of Steel to help support the Special Effects people.  Still don't know if I'll see the Star Trek movie as a Light-Core Trekkie I find the movies to similar to Star Wars for me to really care.   The Purge I'm never going to see simply because I rather not think of a World where that is considered a good idea.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4215 on: June 18, 2013, 10:45:31 AM »
Yes, they should have had Henry keep the beard for the whole movie. If he went shirtless, the ladies would have seen it multiple times.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: June 18, 2013, 11:31:04 AM »
Now You See Me - Not as good of a movie as The Prestige & (what was that other magic movie that came out around the same time?) but was very entertaining. Some of it was CG Magic and not "OOOhhh how did they do that" magic, but I enjoyed it overall.

Probably thinking of The Illusionist.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #4217 on: June 22, 2013, 01:39:53 AM »
Side Effects (the new one, with Jude Law)

Good movie, although I was led to believe it was a "what is reality" kind of movie. The last act seems a little weird, but...maybe it makes sense? I'd have to rewatch it to be sure. It was good, though, definitely worth seeing.

Star Trek: The Wrath of Cumberbatch

From the opening sequence to the credit roll, this movie is WALL TO WALL ACTION SEQUENCES, which bothered me, because that's not what Star Trek has ever been. The first movie struck a good balance, but this one is nothing but explosions and uppercuts. HOWEVER, Alice Eve's mere presence basically makes up for any shortcomings, and Peter Weller is, as usual, awesome.

This is the End

Dude, just see it. You will laugh SO HARD.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: June 23, 2013, 05:49:30 AM »
Ooga Booga

10 out of perfectly racist 10
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: June 23, 2013, 09:15:42 AM »
World War Z

Went in expecting a shitfest. Got an alright generic zombie movie. I haven't read the source material, but know enough of it to know this would piss the fans off. The first quarter or so pisses me off with fucking useless kids. The rest of movie is an ok somewhat different take on zombies acting like a literal force of nature. Had some laughs and watched a bit of ridiculous product placement.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: June 23, 2013, 09:17:51 AM »
Just came back from Man of Steel.

I was expecting something really bad and stupid, and i got more than i expected. A good action movie.

Normal viewers will like action, comic fans like me will also enjoy seeing numerous Superman characters and cameos: Pete Ross (the character is kinda not here nor there though), Lana, Steve Lombard (could have picked a more beefier guy, but whatever), professor Hamilton, i think i also heard general Eiling's name (?), Wayne Tech, LexCorp truck.

I also noticed how close, almost word to word, this movie was to Byrne's Man of Steel series. Krypton is the same scientific, rotten from inside society from Byrne's reboot, they kept those flying robots and some designs in clothing.

Man of Steel shows what Superman movies actually never actually had: complete no holds barred fight between superpowered combatants in the city. Okay, Superman: Doomsday had that and so did few episodes of JLU but you know general public doesn't care about cartoons. I'm thankful that many people will see and enjoy amazing Superman action.

My friend thought Pa Kent's death was stupid, i thought it was okay. In general Costner's scenes were very well done, it's sappy, even corny stuff but you need it to make a good Superman story.

Farm scenes reminded me of "For All Seasons" (which is my favourite Superman book), they had just right dose of Americana which i enjoyed a lot in that book.

Micheal Shannon was great, and did a great job as always (loved Shelter, and he is absolutely amazing in Boardwalk Empire, my favorite character by far), but i still think he was miscast.

I liked how they dodged the whole Clark Kent glasses dilemma. I still preferred if they went "For All Seasons"/"All Star Superman" where Superman was kinda beefy and Kent looked fat by wearing shirts and pants size too big, which is the most working explanation to the whole disguise thing.

I enjoyed the movie, first half kinda drags too much with the whole explanations (even though i loved seeing Superman mythos on a screen) and but the latter half is almost all action.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4221 on: June 23, 2013, 04:10:44 PM »
My friend thought Pa Kent's death was stupid, i thought it was okay. In general Costner's scenes were very well done, it's sappy, even corny stuff but you need it to make a good Superman story.

I thought that scen was so fucking stupid. He died over a fucking dog. That bit alone killed any significance of the scene for me.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: June 23, 2013, 08:18:40 PM »
So being the Manly Man that I am I can admit that today I saw Equestria Girls

When 12 o'clock hit BAM Ponies.  No Theme.  No Previews.  Insta-Pony.  This movie was an Hour 12 My Little Pony episode.  Even had the Cutie Mark Crusaders.  They re-did the theme in Techno and if you watch the show you could catch a lot of little in-jokes and the human analogs for a lot of ponies.  It has did a good job of setting up and re-iterating some points for next season.

In the end this movie was made for the MLP Fans.  If you don't like watching an Episode of MLP there are a few moments you may still like, like Transformers sounds when Pinkie Pie unfolds herself near the beginning, in general though this movie isn't for you.  If you only watch the show casual and get a kick out of it when its on, you'll probably like this movie.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: June 24, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »
Upstream Color not as good as primer/10

kinda an art film, and not in the good way like Primer was. Its like s hipster movie thats trying to seem cool by being vague, but I can see right through it.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: June 25, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »
I did not do what is now my favorite movie of 2013 so far with my review from earlier. Ahem...

Dear 'Ooga Booga',

If racism were poetry, you'd be put along side T.S. Eliot and Sir Walter Raleigh. You'd be cherish for all time. If not for all time, then at least by Oprah. There is a point in your movie where you have a white neighbor barge into a black neighbor's house, and the ensuing diatribe is something that I like to call "perfect racism." I laughed so hard I had to immediately re-watch it again. There are in fact several parts of this movie I needed to re-watch again, either for the terrible acting or brilliant writing. If you were meant to be taken seriously, I didn't. Hell, I couldn't. You made sure of that in the first minute of your movie when you had a wasted children's show star throw up on set in front of all the little kids. And really, your better off for it. Everything about your movie is awful. And that's why I'll probably watch you again.

Your innocent African American friend,
Stogi

10 out of 10
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:10:46 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports