Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553492 times)

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4125 on: March 19, 2013, 01:25:29 PM »
Rebecca (1941) 9/10
Not a typical "Hitchcock" film but still so good. Beautifully photographed, terrific performances all around. Especially Judith Anderson as the uber-creepy Mrs. Danvers. The housekeeper from Hell!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: March 20, 2013, 03:40:57 AM »
Unstoppable

This is schlock, nothing more, nothing less. The plot is beyond contrived as are the solutions. This is dumb beyond words. But is somewhat entertaining as you get to see a train demolish some stuff and have Denziel Washington ham it up.

As for Chris Pine, **** off and never return you hack. Denziel knew he was in a **** movie, but he still put in 100%.

an unstoppable train, how to stop it? Either:

1 - Take your hands off the dead mans handle. Train calls for you to hit that switch, you don't, emergency brakes stop the train.
2 - Signaller puts all signals ahead to red. Depending on the signalling system in place (which is commonplace across Europe, not sure elsewhere) the train will try to emergency stop before reaching that red signal or the next one.

Those two alone would make the film pretty boring, but that's what would happen in real life.

John Carter - While not a great movie, I don't see the hate it gets. I can understand it maybe bombing because Disney advertised it the wrong way (not the first time a movie did poorly because the studio marketed it the wrong way). A shame that no sequels will be made because it lends itself to future movies.

John Carter was marketed extremely badly from the change of name to adverts asking "who is John Carter?" - you're supposed to tell me that.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:48:37 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Glad0s

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #4127 on: March 21, 2013, 12:09:35 AM »
The Usual Suspects
---------------------

It's pretty much as good as you would expect it to be. Kevin Spacey is UNBELIEVABLY awesome as the main character, Gabriel Bryne's great, and Del Toro is a major badass with wicked fashion sense. It's essentially a crime thriller with the narrative structure of something like Citizen Kane and a KILLER ending that I...kinda guessed right before it happened. Still though, it's brilliant, and it seems like one that'll be just as fun to rewatch as it was to see it the first time. Check it out, definitely -- one of the best movies of the 90s.

The Silence of the Lambs
--------------------------

So I finally saw this, and....am I the only one who thinks it's a bit overrated? Sure, it's a fine movie, but it feels more like a really good one than an all-time GREAT one. I was never really *that* freaked out by it, and that's saying something -- it doesn't take much for a movie to scare me, and this one didn't really hit me at all. With the obvious exception of any moment when Anthony Hopkins was onscreen, it just kinda came off as a decent, well-made FBI thriller -- nothing too special, but definitely enjoyable. However, Hopkins' performance is truly dynamite, albeit a little weakened by its massive level of public awareness. It's sort of like how in The Godfather, the line "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" doesn't hold nearly the same amount of potency now that it did at its release, simply because it's so cliche. That's how I felt about a good deal of Hopkins' work here. But nevertheless -- a fine movie, just not one of my personal favorites.
"Isn't Karl like Mexican or something"

Offline Glad0s

• View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #4128 on: March 21, 2013, 12:19:25 AM »
Oh, and I watched 65 minutes of Primer today as well. I realize I only had 5 minutes left, but I was so fucking lost at that point I didn't even care. I respect it, I admire it, I think it's well done all things considered, and hell, I might even attempt to rewatch it someday, but damn....I don't think I've ever felt that lost in a movie before. Maybe I'm an idiot or something but just....yikes.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4129 on: March 21, 2013, 12:34:43 AM »
I don't think I've ever felt that lost in a movie before. Maybe I'm an idiot or something but just....yikes.

You are not alone, a reviewer for Esquire said "anybody who claims he fully understands what's going on in Primer after seeing it just once is either a savant or a liar".
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: March 21, 2013, 02:59:15 AM »
Primer reminded me of "Seventh Voyage of Ijon Tichy" by Lem (which everyone should read of course). Only short story was funny, comprehensible and much more time paradoxy.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: March 21, 2013, 08:23:18 AM »
I don't think I've ever felt that lost in a movie before. Maybe I'm an idiot or something but just....yikes.

You are not alone, a reviewer for Esquire said "anybody who claims he fully understands what's going on in Primer after seeing it just once is either a savant or a liar".
I felt that way about Inception. But I still loved it.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: March 22, 2013, 01:20:33 AM »
lolwut

Inception is extremely easy to understand. Everything is very plainly explained on screen. The only thing that isn't is the ending, which has been debated about countlessly since the release of the movie. Primer, on the other hand, is completely devoid of any in-story explanation. Whether or not that is a good thing is a matter of opinion.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: March 22, 2013, 08:56:17 AM »
lolwut
I lost the thread in Inception about 3/4 of the way through, all 3 times I saw it. But then, I didn't care. I was in it for the fun.
Remionds me of The Big Sleep. Don't bother to try to solve the mystery, just enjoy the process.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: March 22, 2013, 02:03:16 PM »
When did you lose it? Because I can explain it to you in an easy to understand manner. I'm not trying to be condescending or anything, I just freaking love the movie and I try and spread awareness for what happened so others can fully enjoy it too.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: March 22, 2013, 02:20:15 PM »
Maybe I'll go watch it again, which will be a pleasure, so I can be specific because I can't quite remember now. I have the Blu Ray but its been over a year since I have popped it in.

I think it was around the time JGL was floating around hallways or maybe a bit later when LdiC was in his special crazy-wife world. I just remember some hastily delivered exposition dialogue that explained the new developments in the logical progression of dream worlds that went by so fast I didn't quite catch it and couldn't be bothered to rewind because, much like with The Big Sleep, I was more interested in and enthralled by the immediate on-screen action than with piecing together the overall logic (or lack thereof in the case of The Big Sleep.)
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Glad0s

• View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #4136 on: March 22, 2013, 04:11:32 PM »
Yeah, Fatty, thats a bit like how I felt in Inception. But during that exact part, I paused the movie and thought it all through -- eventually I got to the point where I was confident I knew what was going on. But that last third can be a doozy if you're not paying close attention.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: March 22, 2013, 04:34:06 PM »
RE: Unstoppable

They slowed it down by having Denzel move from the locomotive they attached from the rear to apply the freight breaks and then Chris with a mangled foot jumped from the loco to a truck then back to the run away train to finally stop it.

They had other "Solutions" but they were all equally as retarded as the next. I can't believe this schlock fest got 86% on Rotten Tomatoes. It's a Vodka night movie at best with a lot of booing and hissing. Those with any cognitive ablity should not watch this.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: March 29, 2013, 12:22:47 AM »
Saw 5 Minutes of Red Tails. It instantly caused rage with the sheer inaccuraccy of the flying, awful skills, a complete lack of awareness time and distance. Hell, even the CG planes look like ****. I only saw 5 minutes of this **** and I was already tearing it apart. If I was represented in this movie, I would be loading up and heading out to hunt down George Lucas to this insult to history and the genere in general.

The Company you Keep (2012)

Robert Redford made a movie. While it doesn't suck, it's not that good either. While completely grounded in reality, it still managed to show some tension without some dramatic high speed chase explosion fest. In fact, it makes it through the entire movie without a single shot being fired besides a 30 year old grainy video.

The casting chocie of Shai LaBeouf was either a stroke of genius or madness since even in this movie he comes off as a huge unlikable douche. Redford unfortunately spends way too much time on his character leaving Susan Sarandon's character twisting in the wind, unfinished, nothing more than an interesting plot device.

The biggest flaw in this movie is the lack of why. The characters do some seriously profound things, but why they did it is never explained or even implied. the how is clever, but if you have been hiding from the FBI for 30 years, the how has to be clever. there are a bunch of morality lessions in this film, but without a lot of the contect that comes from the Why, it loses it's meaning.

This is a real actors movie, almost like a play. If you want to see these Veterans act, it's a fine movie to watch, otherwise pass.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: April 05, 2013, 09:46:09 AM »
The Host

A little preamble, this movie is based on a book that was written by the same lady who wrote the Twilight Series.  My Wife had me listen to this book on a long trip we had so, I knew what I was getting into when I agreed to go to the movie.  Also I was falling asleep all day yesterday so I figured if the pacing was like the book, the writer has a tendency to take about 5 times longer to do anything then she needs to, I be out in the first 15 minutes.

I didn't fall asleep.  Let's get that out of the way.  I have to say I'm really impressed with Andrew Niccol work.  I didn't realize this going in but he is the same person who did Gattaca so that makes part of the movie make more sense.  Though its clear he's gotten a lot better in the last 6 years.  While Gattaca and the book this movie is based off of was drawn out, this movie took its 2 hours and 5 minutes and pretty much trimmed all the fat.  This movie has some really good pacing.  Much better then the book.

Their is a clear difference between the contrasting worlds but, their really not that different.  The lead actress it was easy to tell between her two roles.  Unlike a lot of these style of movies I didn't feel like their were parts that were just there to be their to check a box.  The world in its own way is interesting.  They made good use of the limited set of backdrops the story allowed for.

I have to say that I enjoyed the movie.  Though not like laugh out loud enjoy but more like Respect and not disliking enjoy.  This is a chick flick but doesn't go as emo as it easily could have with the source material. 

Though I do have to say the last actress they introduce, and I can't find a name for, their is something physically wrong with her.  If you see the movie you'll understand.

This is not a bad movie.  I think movie classes will probably watch this movie to learn from it but, I don't think its worth seeing at full movie price.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4140 on: April 05, 2013, 02:14:08 PM »
EVIL DEAD 2013. That movie was fucking awesome.

Now lets preface. My favorite 2 films in the series are Evil Dead and Army of Darkness. Evil Dead 2 is great, but its just a comedy remake of the first movie.

So lets get into the details without spoilers. The movie starts off insane in a way I wasn't expecting. Then it moves on to the teenagers. This movie isn't a movie about Teenagers going into the woods to party and have sex. They have a different reason. So they make you care about most of the characters. The acting at the beginning is jilted and forced, but once they get away with the character introductions the movie picks up and never relents. It just becomes balls to the wall Evil Dead.

To some extant THIS IS NOT A REMAKE. Its more of a Reboot, and could have easily been called Evil Dead 4.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: April 07, 2013, 07:17:08 PM »
I just watched not one, but two The Rock movies in a row.

Snitch was good. I was pissed at this being based on a true story.
The war on drugs is a failure, so we really need to reevaluate the approach we take to the problem.
I don't want to get into details, but I commend the son on his decision to not pay it forward as was being suggested. Absolutely disgusting what the justice system is willing to do to justify their inflated budgets to support this failure of a war.

G.I. Joe 2
Very entertaining,  and they were not afraid to cycle through the character roster it appears Duke dies in the first 10 minutes . Not a perfect movie, but I'm interested in seeing who is part of the sequel in this series.

At this pace, The Rock will have earned his way into The Expandables 4 along with Wesley Snipes (who just got out of jail for tax evasion last week)

Next up is EVIL DEAD
 movie I came to see today :)
Can't wait. 20 minutes left till movie start.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: April 07, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »
Oh, and this ad made me laugh. mostly because we didn't know what it was for until the end.

unfortunately the title of the video will give it away, but it's still amusing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Y_naTHPsY
I'll fix it later, NWR and my phone browser are not very compatible.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:37:42 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: April 07, 2013, 10:40:44 PM »
Evil Dead was great BTW
even though you have to ignore a few inconsistencies, starting with the lit candle illuminating the book of the dead in the basement.

But my girl was TERRIFIED almost the entire time.
Highly recommended for horror fans looking for something entertaining this year.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: April 08, 2013, 03:46:46 AM »
G.I. Joe 2
Very entertaining,  and they were not afraid to cycle through the character roster it appears Duke dies in the first 10 minutes . Not a perfect movie, but I'm interested in seeing who is part of the sequel in this series.

It cycled through the character roster by abandoning nearly all of the original lot. All they said was "the group now consists of A B C D". Nothing was said about the original group and where they are.

Side Effects - Probably the best movie of 2013. No spoilers at all, go watch.

Trance - If you liked Inception i would recommend to see this, it is another "of the mind" type of film like Inception but is more introvert rather than blowing everything up in scale.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: April 11, 2013, 04:42:10 PM »
Oblivion - this was a good, expensive, sci-fi movie. Just what i needed. Although it was worse off without (at the very least) the voice of GlaDOS and the turrets in the Portal series

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: April 26, 2013, 03:30:36 AM »
Iron Man 3 - I quite enjoyed this. Robert Downey Jr nailed this. Perfectly.

It's quite heavy on the comedy, admittedly.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: April 26, 2013, 03:06:04 PM »
I also saw Iron Man 3 today.

I thought it was pretty good (certainly better than the second one). The set-pieces perhaps rely a little too much on Stark getting into and out of his various suits, but these sequences do service the story which focuses on the question of who Stark is without his mechanical guardian angels. The film is also surprisingly...surprising. I wouldn't dare spoil anything, but the script manages to give enough direction to all the cast while also introducing one or two neat twists.

I do have a few issues with some of the story beats towards the end and the tone can sometimes be a little scattershot, but overall I thought it was one of the better entries in the Marvel film universe.

I never remain behind for the post-credits scenes (I also always show up 15 minutes late to avoid trailers - so that probably tells you something about me), but I'd be interested to hear whether or not there was an Avengers 2 teaser at the end?
Gouge away.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #4148 on: April 26, 2013, 03:22:26 PM »
Contagion. Pretty good and fairly realistic, though I'm not sure a disease that kills less than 1% of the population would lead to widespread looting and lawlessness.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: April 26, 2013, 03:37:28 PM »
Contagion. Pretty good and fairly realistic, though I'm not sure a disease that kills less than 1% of the population would lead to widespread looting and lawlessness.

You don't think the deaths of over 71,000,000 people could lead to lawlessness? Riots and looting have been instigated over much less. Just look at the 2011 London riots for example.

Gouge away.