Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553956 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3750 on: December 19, 2012, 12:05:45 PM »
Why is no one talking about Life of Pi? Probably the best movie of the year. I actually don't feel like going to the theater to see anymore movies this year since I just don't see any other films being this good.

That said, it's not a perfect movie and the final message seems contrary to what the movie was setting up the whole time. But the main story of the film, the survival/adventure aspect, is fantastic and more than outweighs the philisophical stuff that doesn't quite make sense.

When I first saw the posters and the trailer for the movie, I had no interest in seeing it. But then the I started seeing all these reviews come in and positive reviews from sources I wasn't expecting so I figured I'd give the movie chance and I'm so glad I did.

You have to see this movie in 3D. There is no other way to experience it. As the credits were playing, I was thinking to myself that I can never see this movie again because there is no way it would ever be the same experience watching it in 2D on a small screen. Much of this movie would be lost in such a format. I may have to see this movie again once more before it stops playing in theaters as I feel a sadness at losing it so soon after being acquainted with it. There are times when watching a movie that certain images will come on and just instantly ingrain themselves in my memory with their majesty.

For instance, for whatever reason, last year when I saw Shrelock Holmes 2, the close-up image of Sherlock and Moriarty's faces as they plunge down the falls with Moriarty screaming and Sherlock calm just sticks in my mind. As I watched it, something about it, the colors, the size, the moment it encapsulated between these classic figures just struck me as perfect and I can still recall that feeling and moment in my mind. Anyways, this movie has tons of those images and moments. I'd love to get into them but I really don't want to spoil anything or hype things up to much. I'd just like people to go in with not much knowledge of the story and some anticipation and let if lead you on its journey.

Just wow.

4 stars out of 5.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:54:16 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: December 19, 2012, 12:42:18 PM »
If you hype it up this much, I'm going to feel disappointed.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3752 on: December 19, 2012, 02:21:53 PM »
Well, I'll have to put it on my list since you feel so strongly about it. I was gonna wait for home viewing originally.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: December 19, 2012, 02:30:25 PM »
Why is no one talking about Life of Pi? Probably the best movie of the year.

I've been looking forward to it for months now, but it's not out until the 20th over here.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:07:46 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: December 19, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »
If you hype it up this much, I'm going to feel disappointed.

I hyped it up like this to other people and they still came away liking it after. Plus, as I do warn in the second paragraph, it's not completely perfect. But I don't think my hype will do anything to detract from the experience which is what I'm trying to sell the most. This is one of the few movies where the 3D effects help to create a memorable experience and it is for the film's ability to create this experience that I think can survive any hype and praise I put on it.

Let me qualify it in this way. I would say The Dark Knight Rises is still the most fun movie I've seen this year. But it and Life of Pi are two different types of films with different purposes. But for the master class on film making and imagery that Life of Pi is, I think anyone can appreciate it no matter the hype. However, only if they see it on the big screen in 3D. After that, all bets are off.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3755 on: December 19, 2012, 04:08:48 PM »
It looks terrible from the trailer, so that is why I haven't seen it. And I had more fun watching The Avengers than The Dark Knight Rises.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: December 19, 2012, 04:18:53 PM »
The most fun I've had at the cinema this year has been between 'The Avengers' and 'The Master'. Very different films, but both were hugely entertaining.
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: December 19, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »
I wasn't planning on seeing Life of Pi, but if TJ Spyke says it looks terrible I guess I'll give it a shot.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3758 on: December 19, 2012, 04:30:09 PM »
I didn't say the movie is terrible, I said the trailer makes it look terrible.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: December 19, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »
On a different note, quick review of Anna Karenina which I saw last night. It's a rental if that. Personally, I like period peice dramas / adaptations of famous works like Dickens and Austin. The Pride and Prejudice film starring Keira Knightley a few years ago is one of my top favorite films from the last decade. Not really knowing the story of Anna Karenina either I was intrigued to see it.

Never have I wanted to walk out of a film more in the first 20 minutes than this movie. I was ready to just give up on the 8.00 bucks I spent and do something far better than watch this movie. The reason is for a completely horrible decision to start the movie as if all the characters inhabit a theater and move around on stage. Characters walk down stage hallways on to a new stage and have a little scene. Backdrops get changed and moved and just keep the viewer very disoriented. This is even worse as the movie tries to introduce all the players but you are left bewildered at first as to who's with whom or what is real or where this is all going. I then began to wonder if maybe the director was trying to mimic Hitchcock's Rope by having what looks like a continuous unbroken shot yet finding a way to switch scenes by having people and backdrops move around in such manner but no, the movie still cuts to different scenes.

Fortunately, I'd say about 40 minutes in, the movie finally gives up this technique or at least uses it far, far more sparingly and we finally get a more traditional movie which helps improve the movie so much more. I was so glad and yet so frustrated when I think about how much better things could have been without this odd, bizarre choice.

If you can't figure out what I'm describing, I don't blame you. It's hard to explain without actually seeing it. So, in a way, it's worth checking out to see what it is all about but it drove me mad. I'm not the only one. After the movie was over, two dames sitting behind me started talking about the movie and seemingly agreeing with each other that they both liked it. One then commented to the other that they were worried at the start that this movie was going to be too artsy for them and was lost in the beginning and the other agreed and I agree.

Which is a shame because in the end, there are some good performances here and it is still a strong story although not one I find as emotionally moving as say Pride and Prejudice. I find I sympathize more with Jude Law's character than Anna herself. There's also a secondary love story running through the movie involving a character called Kitty and her rejected would-be-suitor which I also ended up finding more interesting in the end. Even wierder is the R rating this move gets which seem to come about because a man is killed by a train and you see some of his intestines after yet there is no other violence aside from say the ending since Anna kills herself and a horse gets shot. There is no full frontal nudity or anything. The language is very tame so I don't get that. Here in Canada, it has PG rating which makes perfect sense.

In the end and to wrap up this lengthy post, if you like this type of movie, it might be worth checking out one night if you feel like seeing something abit more experimental and a bit of a downer. Unfortunately, this movie shoots itself in the foot in the beginning and works hard to lose the audience that a solid second half cannot overcome that opening hurdle. Also, I really did like the ballroom dancing with all the arm movements.

2.5 stars out of 5.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:57:32 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: December 19, 2012, 04:53:35 PM »
It looks terrible from the trailer, so that is why I haven't seen it. And I had more fun watching The Avengers than The Dark Knight Rises.

I said the same thing in my post. The trailer does nothing to convey why you should see this movie. Can't comment on The Avengers since I haven't seen it yet.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: December 19, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »
given TJ's opionion on CG, he can't enjoy it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: December 19, 2012, 07:43:46 PM »
The book Life of Pi has been one of my favourites since high school, so I've been looking forward to the film since it was first announced, especially seeing as Ang Lee is directing.

It unfortuntately doesn't come out until New Years day here.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: December 24, 2012, 12:59:42 AM »
Devil - 3/10

M. Night Shyamalan would be better off just not ending his movies. I think the only other movie of his that I saw was Signs, and it was good...until the ending. Just like this, it was at least pretty decent...until the end. Then it just turns into complete ****. I will admit the reveal towards the end kind of caught me off guard, but then it just went down the toilet. It's basically Spider-Man 3 with the devil and blood.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: December 24, 2012, 01:04:56 AM »
That's an odd comparison to make. How are those two movies similar at all? One is a giant, overstuffed superhero movie and the other takes place mostly in an elevator.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3765 on: December 24, 2012, 01:40:26 AM »
Devil was not directed by M. Night Shymalan. He just shoved his name on it with money.

I can see the Spider-man 3 comparison.

I also saw the ending coming miles away. I tend to be able to pick out twist endings from a mile away because im good at picking out foreshadowing or just really observant. Or maybe because i read goosebump books and nearly every one of them has a twist ending. 6th sense had the plotline of an Are you Afraid of the Dark episode. I figured out the Village just because one character had a tie that didn't belong to the time period. The Saw series is hard to follow because it throws one dozen red herrings. when the dead body got up at the end that was a shock...which is why I expected the end of Devil
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:46:28 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: December 24, 2012, 03:55:55 AM »
The Man With The Iron Fists - I love that it pays homage to older kung fu movies but RZA was the wrong person to basically the (at the end) central role to that film.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: December 24, 2012, 10:32:05 AM »
That's an odd comparison to make. How are those two movies similar at all? One is a giant, overstuffed superhero movie and the other takes place mostly in an elevator.

The "bad guy" killed the protagonist's family by accident, the antagonist doesn't find out for several years, and then forgives the guy who killed the family. That's Spider-man 3. The other thing they have in common is they both suck.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3768 on: December 24, 2012, 01:42:18 PM »
Spider-Man 3 was not that bad, def better than Spider-Man 2 (which is far too over-rated). I will say that it was a terrible decision to have Venom be such a minor villian when he he much better and much cooler than the lame Sandman. Venom should have been the focus of the movie (they could have even put in teases for Carnage in-case they did Spider-Man 4). Also, Peter forgave Flint because the experience with the Venom symbiote made him realize you can't hang onto hate and bitterness..

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: December 24, 2012, 02:48:09 PM »
Did you actually just say that Spider-Man 3 was better than the second one?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3770 on: December 24, 2012, 02:52:26 PM »
It's true. Parts of SM2 was good, but they screwed up Dr. Octopus and the movie was just not that entertaining to me. SM3 improved on it.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: December 24, 2012, 05:24:47 PM »
No no no. Spider-Man 3 was completely overdone. Sam Raimi tried to cram it full of a nonsensical plot, too many characters and villains doing their stuff, and a pointless "emo Peter" subplot ruined the whole thing for me. J K Simmons saved the movie for me. Topher Grace as Venom was a terrible casting choice. The guy's a nerdy comedian (in real life), not super-villain material at all.

I'm guessing this is why Sony decided to completely reboot the series, though they could have done without another origin story. We've seen that done so many times already. Why couldn't they just turn "The Amazing Spider-Man" into a proper "Spider-Man 4"? Continue where Spider-Man 2 left off, and disregard the 3rd movie...
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3772 on: December 24, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »
The 3rd one was still better than the 2nd. The only real complain I have is with Venom being so minor (he should have been the main focus) and Topher Grace being picked to play Eddie Brock (who is pretty big in  muscles).

Sony re-booted the series because it was cheaper than keeping the same cast. Andrew Garfield was a lot cheaper to hire (his only real role was in The Social Connection) than Tobey Maguire. And the new film was better than any of the Sam Raimi films.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: December 24, 2012, 08:49:33 PM »
TJ you're probably the only person that thinks Spider-Man 3 was better than Spider-Man 2.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: December 24, 2012, 10:16:26 PM »
The Social Network, not Connection. And no, they made another one so Disney couldn't get the rights for The Avengers.