Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553464 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3475 on: September 09, 2012, 11:08:10 PM »
American Psycho - What the ****? What a pointless stupid movie. I can't believe this movie is critically acclaimed.
Kung Fu Panda 2 - While not as brilliant as the first one, it's a very solid movie. I can't wait to see what they do with the third one.
The Incredibles - Still my second favorite Pixar movie.
Ratatouille - My other favorite Pixar movie.
Se7en - Kevin Spacey was fucking brilliant.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: September 10, 2012, 03:05:12 AM »
The Possession - I normally don't watch horror movies but i quite enjoyed this. It was tense and nicely paced.

I was going to see Dredd, but the 2D showings are limited release while the 3D ones are normal release. Therefore i'm not going to watch it.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3477 on: September 10, 2012, 03:21:39 PM »
Well, the movie's name IS Dredd 3D for a reason. I don't mind, I prefer watching them in 3D (although I don't like paying an extra $2.50 for it).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: September 10, 2012, 03:26:50 PM »
American Psycho - What the ****? What a pointless stupid movie. I can't believe this movie is critically acclaimed.
Kung Fu Panda 2 - While not as brilliant as the first one, it's a very solid movie. I can't wait to see what they do with the third one.

Seriously? American Psycho pointless and stupid? Did you even watch it? I'm disgusted by your comment.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: September 10, 2012, 04:22:39 PM »

Seriously? American Psycho pointless and stupid? Did you even watch it? I'm disgusted by your comment.
Yeah, gotta agree, American Psycho is fantastic. Such a great, extremely dark comedy. Such a great comment on American excess and vapid culture (in the '80s in particular). Such a great comment on shitty men's attitudes to women. I think that the director really brought out that aspect particularly well. I have seen interviews with her where she focusses on this aspect and the fact that the script really struck her in this way (intentionally or not).

I think the business card scene is my favourite. That and "Sussudio".
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3480 on: September 10, 2012, 05:31:58 PM »
Well, the movie's name IS Dredd 3D for a reason. I don't mind, I prefer watching them in 3D (although I don't like paying an extra $2.50 for it).

All 3D films give me headaches. It's not worth the money for a headache.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: September 10, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »
They make anti-3D glasses too, don't they?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3482 on: September 10, 2012, 06:45:14 PM »
What I think is surprising is how Dredd has a 95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Wow.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: September 10, 2012, 07:04:36 PM »
I am hearing a lot of good things about Dredd. I might actually go to the trouble of seeing it in the cinemas when it gets here. It's a turn around from the pessimism early on and the apparently mistaken parallels drawn to The Raid.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: September 10, 2012, 07:32:48 PM »

No, I didn't fucking watch it at all.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #3485 on: September 10, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »
Seconding that American Psycho owns. I'm sure it's filled with clever allegories and such, but what I mostly took from it were the funny catchphrases like "do you like Huey Lewis & The News?" and "FEED ME A STRAY CAT."

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: September 10, 2012, 08:14:11 PM »
i thought American Psycho is great. However, I'm still totally baffled by its Ambiguous ending. You could read it 2 ways.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: September 10, 2012, 08:19:28 PM »
Why is everyone (Chozo Ghost, ThePerm, Oblivion) now using the same Kirby avatar? Did you guys all lose a bet or something?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: September 10, 2012, 08:20:21 PM »
read the funhouse
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3489 on: September 10, 2012, 08:20:56 PM »
It started as a joke after a new member of the forum started using it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: September 10, 2012, 08:39:14 PM »
I tried turning it into a new "Lettuce Cat is so last week. Mock me for being behind the times." thing and it really hasn't worked yet. I got Caterpillar to think I was Chozo, though.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: September 11, 2012, 03:25:12 AM »

I never knew they existed. It's extremely stupid though. I have to pay more to see it, only to pay again for glasses to cancel out the 3D effect.

Offline MisterE13

• Student of the NWR Forums
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: September 11, 2012, 12:04:34 PM »

I never knew they existed. It's extremely stupid though. I have to pay more to see it, only to pay again for glasses to cancel out the 3D effect.

They're really easy to make yourself if you can get your hands on 2 pairs of 3D glasses.  Of course it really would be a waste to pay for the movie in 3D then cancel it out for yourself.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: September 13, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »
Please tell me you have seen The Iron Giant. It is another Brad Bird animated film.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: September 13, 2012, 06:06:55 PM »
I just saw Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows last night.  I really enjoyed it, though it felt like it didn't know who its audience was.  It was first trying to be extremely smart with the dialogue and making everything intertwine.  But then it would constantly telegraph what was going to happen next so people who didn't "get" the first movie could "get" this one.  I feel like it made less money (in the US) because it didn't know who its audience was.

I did very much enjoy it though.

I also went and saw the Bourne Legacy.  I honestly thought it was my favorite Bourne movie so far and I'm a big fan of Matt Damon.  I just thought they worked this one right.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: September 13, 2012, 11:49:19 PM »
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - Saw this on fake IMAX at the local AMC. I was really disappointed by the quality of the projection. When they announced this was being put back into theaters, Spielberg was talking about good the new print and restoration they just did for the blurays looked. And the fake IMAX was just a 2K projection. Couldn't even get a 4K. Some shots were simply ugly. Total let down.

However, it doesn't matter because the movie is FUCKING AWESOME. The pacing, the set pieces, the way the characters are introduced, the cinematography, the score, holy **** this is one of my favorite movies ever. I had never seen it on the big screen, so even a shitty projection was mindblowing to me. One of the best.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3496 on: September 15, 2012, 06:06:49 PM »
Advent Children: WTF/10

Even in the context of a sequel to FFVII, this movie makes NO sense, and its Japanese anime sensibilities really bite it in the ass. The bad guy characters are just plain stupid, it's not at all clear where their particular McGuffin came from or even WHO OR WHAT THEY ARE. The whole movie is a poorly-paced leadup to a five minute battle between Cloud and You-Know-Who. The most impressive fight in the scene is between the FFVII team and Bahumut, but even that is a little silly, because WHERE DID THEY ALL COME FROM?

Also, Cloud being a self-pitying sadsack really made me dislike him, and they made Tifa look complete different. She doesn't even have the whale-tail ponytail anymore. Just play FFVII instead.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: September 16, 2012, 10:55:48 PM »
Did you watch the original or Complete? The latter makes a little more sense and adds some character development.

I believe Kadaj and the other 2 (who, honestly, don't really matter) were created because Sephiroth's will was so strong that he refused to be absorbed into the Lifestream. They each represent a part of Sephiroth, but only Kadaj is important (which is mostly poor writing). I'm not defending it; just trying to offer an explanation. They didn't make any of that especially clear. It's vaguely inferred.

I liked the movie for the eye-candy, but it was a little too convoluted and emo.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3498 on: September 17, 2012, 12:28:15 AM »
If memory serves (and it doesn't always), Sephiroth's ultimate goal was to become a part of the Lifestream so he could take control of the planet. Or something. It's been fifteen years.

Anyway.

I watched Piranha DD. I liked the original. It was SyFy-level camp with some bewbs. Piranha DD is one of the worst movies ever made--I recommend avoiding it hardcore.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: September 17, 2012, 12:42:32 AM »
In VII, I thought Sephiroth wanted to merge with the Lifestream to become a god which he can't do if he's dead. On that planet, when you die, your energy is recycled to create new life or something and that's the part that Sephiroth rejected according to Advent Children which spawned Kadaj and co. I'm not sure of that's correct. Just my interpretation. I've watched the movie a couple times, but I only completed VII once 11 years ago.