Author Topic: Official SSBB SmashDate Discussion  (Read 464444 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
All characters but Mario and Kirby are locked.  You must unlock the "Default" roster from going through Subspace Emissary.  Once all the "defaults" are unlocked you can start unlocking secret characters but, not before, even if you meet the requirements.  It worked so well in RRR that it has been mimicked in all its glory.

Hoosah.

On a serious note.  It seems training mode is relatively unchanged.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
We did the math: there are still 12 Melee vets MIA and only 9 weeks left to reveal them before the Japan launch; and that's if there are no more newcomers to be revealed pre-launch.

I certainly hope the entire secret character roster in SSBM isn't going to start as locked again...

Like I said earlier, don't expect anything big until January.  Since the game was delayed by 2 months, everything they were planning for November was moved back until January.  Which more then likely was the remaining characters.

Why else were we getting one character revealed every week until the delay, after the delay we've only gotten 1 character revealed.  Before the delay we had about 6 weeks before the game would have been released.  If you do the math that would equal 6 more characters being revealed before launch.

Since King Dedede was shown after the delay, that means we have about 5 more characters to be revealed before the games release.  Chances are we'll only see 1 or 2 of them in the next month and then the final 3 will be shown in January when the rest of the big info comes.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
They knew the delay was coming LONG before it was announced and the updates would have been done accordingly for a while before as well.

But my point stands. They could be revealing a vet character once per week and still not reveal any newcomers from now until launch, which begs the question of how many vets got the axe or will be locked for some silly reason.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Well, Jigglypuff will probably be locked for the sake of tradition. I could see the same happening to Luigi.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
If you knock off the clones, there are only 8 to be revealed...I also think Jigglypuff and Luigi will be unlockable (that is, of course, if they are only revealing defaults) as TVman said, so that knocks it down to 6...Technically you could knock it down to 5 if Ness is really gone, but I hope not... =3  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
4 if Marth is axed, but that's less likely. I hope Sakurai didn't run out of ammo on his newcomer gun yet...

I think the 'Dorf being back with his own moveset is pretty much a given.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
Oh whoops, I said that all the clones are knocked off from my list, but since I expect Ganondorf to have a new move set, I didn't include him with the clones...

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Do we count Sheik on this list?

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
I wasn't counting him/her/it, no.

There were only 5 "real" secret characters: Marth, G&W, Mewtwo, Luigi and the Jiggs. Ness and Falcon were open from the start, as well as Bowser, Zelda, Climbers and Peach, added to the original 8.

Thus, there were 19 actual characters in SSBM. 12 have been revealed and are neatly denoted as vets on the SSBB site, that leaves 7 to be revealed and 9 weeks to show them off.

We all assume the 'Dorf will be back, considering they delayed Melee to add him (or he was at least requested to the point that they added him). Even if none of the other clones make it back, that's still 8 Melee vets and 9 weeks (assuming Marth and Ness weren't axed).

I just want to say that I think locking characters that have been in past games is downright silly. It's like letting someone watch while you wrap a present and then handing it to them.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile

We all assume the 'Dorf will be back, considering they delayed Melee to add him (or he was at least requested to the point that they added him). Even if none of the other clones make it back, that's still 8 Melee vets and 9 weeks (assuming Marth and Ness weren't axed).

You have to remember that they can show two character in one week as well.  They did it with Pokemon Trainer and Peach in the same week last summer.  Plus when the site first opened Mario and Link were shown on the same update and a week later Pikachu and Kirby were shown on the same update as well.  During a big month like January when the game is about to be released, I wouldn't be surprised if they show more then one character some weeks like they've done in the past.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
In the end, that's still the best explanation, but I'd definitely like to see a character before this week is out.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
Oh, heh.... I just noticed Link's crossbow training released today in many stores and they have a training mode update.... clever.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile

In the end, that's still the best explanation, but I'd definitely like to see a character before this week is out.

CAPTAIN FALCON!!!

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude

You have to remember that they can show two character in one week as well.  They did it with Pokemon Trainer and Peach in the same week last summer.  Plus when the site first opened Mario and Link were shown on the same update and a week later Pikachu and Kirby were shown on the same update as well.  During a big month like January when the game is about to be released, I wouldn't be surprised if they show more then one character some weeks like they've done in the past.

Well, to be fair, Peach was a vet who was in a SSE trailer, IIRC. And when the site first opened, it made since for them to quickly [sic] go through the characters that were in the original trailer.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude

CAPTAIN FALCON!!!

Haha, I say we blame Luigi Dude for officially jinxing Falcon's Dojo appearance!  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
RE: Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - Taste the Rainbow!
« Reply #2416 on: November 20, 2007, 06:07:36 PM »
The color changes are a nice improvement from Melee...I particularly like the Dark Zelda one...

Offline Gylldas

• View Profile
RE:Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - Taste the Rainbow!
« Reply #2417 on: November 20, 2007, 06:20:11 PM »
I do really like a lot of the costumes.  It's nice to get clear pictures of a lot of them.  

I also just have a hunch that we'll be getting something special tomorrow...but I'm probably wrong...

EDIT:

I meant to say Thursday
Wii #: 4257-3057-1441-3307   MKart: 2578-3513-8937
Brawl: 4468-0638-0667           City Folk: 4296-6475-9060(Mike/Seacrest)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: November 20, 2007, 06:28:55 PM »
This certainly makes costumes seem far more unlikely though I wouldn't rule them completely out yet. They at least put more effort into the color palettes this time arround. Dark Link looks awesome and we finally get Fire Mario.

Ganon's Puppet Zelda would be pretty cool.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2419 on: November 20, 2007, 06:53:24 PM »
...Sakurai has oficially lost it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: November 21, 2007, 12:35:42 AM »

They knew the delay was coming LONG before it was announced and the updates would have been done accordingly for a while before as well.

But my point stands. They could be revealing a vet character once per week and still not reveal any newcomers from now until launch, which begs the question of how many vets got the axe or will be locked for some silly reason.

Smash I think your giving the left hand way to much credit.

Anyways, I think this update was pretty much a loser of an update for me.  After all the rumors that we might get full character changing costumes just having the color changes is a let down.  Though they are better than Melee I was sort of hoping to put Mario in his Paper Mario form or his Referee form.  Put Link in his <insert any Link and the one Non-Link from the Zelda series>.  Samus though I still have hope for but I have no real hope for Wario in his original Wario outfit.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: November 21, 2007, 01:29:52 AM »
"After all the rumors that we might get full character changing costumes just having the color changes is a let down."

What?  Rumours?  I've seen nothing but just hopeful speculation...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: November 21, 2007, 01:55:43 AM »
So when people touted Dark Link as a costume and not just color change...

Rumor
1: talk or opinion widely disseminated with no discernible source  

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2423 on: November 21, 2007, 03:52:19 AM »
Well, the difference between color change and costumes is that the costumes would look more like different characters than simple variations of the character. Specifically, Link -> Dark Link; Daisy -> Peach; etc. Also, some costumes were thought to give more variation on the gameplay: Mario -> Dr. Mario: Fireballs -> Pills; etc. With the fusion suit, I can see how there could be other such slight variations, but as for the more in depth changes, those are looking less likely. However, they would certainly merit their own update.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: November 21, 2007, 06:43:09 AM »
hmm, well it looks like their stopping short at skin/palate changes, and minor alterations to pikachu. Too bad. Though i'm probably going to play as link and bowser most of the time anyhow.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post