Author Topic: Microsoft and Bungie Part Ways  (Read 7594 times)

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Microsoft and Bungie Part Ways
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 04:25:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Bungie is past its prime if history has taught me anything.

My gut says "experimental" projects will be the new plans for Bungie, so I'm tempted to agree with this.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: Microsoft and Bungie Part Ways
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2007, 05:19:53 PM »
I don't think Bungie's time in the spotlight is over. This is a developer that is internally driven, and I suspect they have a strong self-image and a strong vision for who they are and where they're going. Just look at what has happened: Bungie has bought ownership of themself. Microsoft has right of first refusal, so they're gonna remain MS exclusive for the foreseeable future, fanboi dreams be damned. What Bungie has just bought is a vision of itself and the creative freedom to create new IPs and break away from the Halo franchise. I think they've got a bright future ahead of them, and could become a real diversified weapon in MS' arsenal.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2007, 05:24:52 PM »
I think they really just wanted to make Viva Pinata spin-offs, and were a little too close to Microsoft to be allowed to do so.

Viva Pinata 3:  Finish the Swing.

Offline denjet78

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2007, 07:33:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Brandogg
You guys are reading this wrong, at least I think

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/oct07/10-05BungieEvolvesPR.mspx

Microsoft will retain an equity interest in Bungie, at the same time continuing its long-standing publishing agreement between Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie for the Microsoft-owned “Halo” intellectual property as well as other future properties developed by Bungie.

I'm pretty sure this just means Microsoft might let Bungie make games on other systems, but they'll be published under Microsoft Games Studios, just like RARE's GBA and DS games are. I don't think this is a split by any means, if anything, it's just going to make Microsoft more money. Notice the part about "other future properties developed by Bungie" part.

Does no one else find it strange that MS basically let go of a company that they already owned? This is MS here people. They're not interested in making money. They're interested in owning the world. This move would be akin to Nintendo releasing EAD as it's own company, although still maintaining a publishing agreement with them. How quickly would the news stories appear about "Nintendo Doomed!" or "EAD Goes Multi-Platform!"? Yet Bungie makes the same move and people assume that nothing is going to change just because MS says so? Uh... no.

To put it bluntly, Bungie is breaking away. Hell, MS is probably slamming them with anything and everything they can find just to keep them in the position they have them in now. We'll have to see just how long this "publishing agreement" holds out.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2007, 02:40:11 PM »
I think MS has finally learnt the lesson that Nintendo taught when they brought that poison pill that was Rare.

You can buy a company, but you can't buy the people in the company.

That is why Nintendo rarely buys out a company and is happy to let developers go when it is time. Now we can collectively stop asking Nintendo to use that "War chest" because it isn't going to happen.

Either way, it is MS's lost and al Bungie's gain. From a PR stand point alone, MS has effectively lost their golden developer. Even though they have held on to the IP, an IP a game is not. MS could milk the same engine and gameplay, but without the controlling vision behind it, it just wouldn't be the same. I doubt Bungie does any of that imparting wisdom stuff that Miyamoto does.

Bungie wins. They are already rich, potentially rich enough to self publish, even if not, got the kudo's to get almost any publisher to do it for them. They are not longer slaves to MS. They can work on what ever dream project they want. Corporate deadlines and milestones are gone. They are no longer constrained by the demographic of the console they work with.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline UERD

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2007, 03:04:05 PM »
I'd say that there was a significant chance that some of Bungie's developers were threatening to leave and form their own studio, especially because they were afraid that MS would turn them into the 'Halo factory'. By pre-empting that, MS retains some control over Bungie's assets.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2007, 08:52:27 AM »
Guys, MS has rights of first refusal. Meaning Bugnie has to go to MS first for EVERY game they make. MS would have to be out-of-their-mind to say no to whatever Bungie wants to make, be it Master Chief's Tea Party or Awesome Sci-Fi/Fantasy Epic # 2, so it's pretty much a given that they stay MS exclusive.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2007, 12:22:08 PM »
I was under the impression that Bungie could potentially develop for other platforms and that ROFR referred to the publishing of Bungie's future titles. So, for example, if Bungie made a Wii game, Microsoft can opt or refuse to publish the game though they'd probably refuse since they'd have to pay licensing fees.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2007, 12:48:38 PM »
LOL. I didn't think of it like that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2007, 01:21:47 PM »
Oh, don't take that as fact. That was just my understanding of the deal.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
I was under the impression that Bungie could potentially develop for other platforms and that ROFR referred to the publishing of Bungie's future titles. So, for example, if Bungie made a Wii game, Microsoft can opt or refuse to publish the game though they'd probably refuse since they'd have to pay licensing fees.

Adrock has this mostly right.

Essentially, rights of first refusal in this case means that Microsoft gets first dibs on publishing rights for anything Bungie creates. If they choose to not publish the product, then it's open to other publishers to step up to the plate.

It's worth noting that, if Microsoft was inclined to make this difficult, they could greatly delay the overall process if it was in their best interest and depending on what the original documents relating to this state.  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2007, 02:50:22 PM »
this first refusal stuff will probably be temporary, and wear off in a few years. Meanwhile Bungie should be devlopinga stronger cash flow with greater independance. Its like college for some folks, you live at home, then you move away, but your parents still basically support you, and then your done with your education and you can make money for yourself.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2007, 05:08:41 PM »
Oh boy, a mediocre game developer is third-party. Hooray.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2007, 05:10:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo

You're not GoldenPhoenix.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2007, 09:38:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo

You're not GoldenPhoenix.

GP is too busy playing Halo 3, so he's the temp.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2007, 05:24:23 PM »

I'd say that there was a significant chance that some of Bungie's developers were threatening to leave and form their own studio, especially because they were afraid that MS would turn them into the 'Halo factory'. By pre-empting that, MS retains some control over Bungie's assets.

After every Halo game was completed, some staff members left. Maybe after this one, a great deal of them would have jumped ship had MS didn't have the foresight?

Essentially, rights of first refusal in this case means that Microsoft gets first dibs on publishing rights for anything Bungie creates. If they choose to not publish the product, then it's open to other publishers to step up to the plate.

MS has done this before. Psychonaughts was originally and Xbox exclusive, MS game studios dropped them because they didn't think it would sell. I believe Majesco then offered their publishing hand. I'm sure if Bungie's next project doesn't gel with MS's vision, MS would just walk away from this one, prior history be damned.

It seems awfully similiar to what David Jaffe did. He's now an independent developer, so what are his next 3 projects? All Sony related...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa