Author Topic: Official SSBB SmashDate Discussion  (Read 464472 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion
« Reply #1300 on: October 05, 2007, 08:49:31 AM »
"Not just because Mario's about to get a rocketing air bubble up his butt but because hes actually looking at it. If they add that head and eye turning feature to all the characters, it would make the game so much more convincing to me."

You've been able to see that in screens for quite a while now!  It APPEARS as if your character will "lock on" (with their gaze) at the nearest opponent... =)  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion
« Reply #1301 on: October 05, 2007, 09:02:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
BEST...UPDATE...YET!

Not just for co-op (an idea I had a while back) but perhaps this means that two Nintendo characters will always be journeying together anyway, hence why you can play co-op mode.

SSBB now has online play and a promising single player mode which trains you in how to play online multiplayer.

This, my friends, is the proper equation for a Halo-killer. As much as I hate to admit it, I like Halo's method of having a single player campaign which preps you for the multiplayer and tells a decent story.

If the story mode can provide some blatant Nintendo fanservice, with Pit and Mario teaming up, Link and Yoshi teaming up, etc. then this should be the single player mode which is finally good enough to rival SSB's awesome multiplayer mode.

Yeah, the two player mode could end up being a disappoBIG MONKEY SAY WHAT?????

IT'S A MIRACLE!

S_B HAS SAID SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT A BRAWL UPDATE!!!!

*Angelic choir

HALLELUJAH!
HALLELUJAH!
HALLELUJAH!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: October 05, 2007, 09:04:39 AM »
Yeah, since I didn't have anything negative to say about the SSBB blog updates, I went and rated your blog updates negatively instead.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1303 on: October 05, 2007, 09:12:27 AM »

Yeah, since I didn't have anything negative to say about the SSBB blog updates, I went and rated your blog updates negatively instead.

Uh, what?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: October 05, 2007, 09:31:55 AM »

*Angelic choir

I'm surprised he had something positive to say about Adventure Mode. Then again, they did make it multiplayer so it's almost like the comments don't count.

Online co-op seems like a stretch. I have reasons for this opinion, but I have to go to work in about 10 minutes so it'll have to wait. Not that I wouldn't want to see it happen (who wouldn't, really?), I just have to keep up a healthy level of skepticism.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1305 on: October 05, 2007, 09:54:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Adrock

*Angelic choir

I'm surprised he had something positive to say about Adventure Mode. Then again, they did make it multiplayer so it's almost like the comments don't count.

Online co-op seems like a stretch. I have reasons for this opinion, but I have to go to work in about 10 minutes so it'll have to wait. Not that I wouldn't want to see it happen (who wouldn't, really?), I just have to keep up a healthy level of skepticism.

Online co-op would be awesome, but like you said that would be too much. If for some reason it does happen then I'll be stunned.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: October 05, 2007, 11:38:45 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
"Not just because Mario's about to get a rocketing air bubble up his butt but because hes actually looking at it. If they add that head and eye turning feature to all the characters, it would make the game so much more convincing to me."

You've been able to see that in screens for quite a while now!  It APPEARS as if your character will"lock eyes"... =)

HOW ROMANTIC!

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: October 05, 2007, 12:28:29 PM »
In a "If I don't watch out I'll take a Mr. Saturn to the back of the head" kind of way, maybe!

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: October 05, 2007, 12:39:35 PM »
I wonder if I'll be able to play Adventure mode co-op with items off on final destination...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: October 05, 2007, 03:30:45 PM »

In a "If I don't watch out I'll take a Mr. Saturn to the back of the head" kind of way, maybe!

Stop Throwing me....

Anyway, Smash is setting a bar so high that I don't think any game is going to reach it.  Between it and Galaxy...  Third parties are just going to be depressed.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: October 05, 2007, 05:21:08 PM »
Serves them right, the bastards.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: October 05, 2007, 10:24:46 PM »

Online co-op would be awesome, but like you said that would be too much. If for some reason it does happen then I'll be stunned.

Well, I think a major hurdle would be the lack of communication between players. How do work together if you can't talk to your teammate/partner? Does that really count as co-op when you take cooperation out of the equation? I just don't see that being much different than having a CPU partner besides a human teammate perhaps being better than a bot in terms of skills.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1312 on: October 06, 2007, 04:06:19 AM »

Well, I think a major hurdle would be the lack of communication between players. How do work together if you can't talk to your teammate/partner? Does that really count as co-op when you take cooperation out of the equation? I just don't see that being much different than having a CPU partner besides a human teammate perhaps being better than a bot in terms of skills.

Which begs the question how is CO-OP going to work in Battalion Wars Wii?  Because in Adventure Mode Brawl it works because you can see what your partner is doing and watch his back...but in BWii you need to actually use strategy to beat the levels.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: October 06, 2007, 07:47:37 AM »

SSBB to include voice chat.

Nintendo headset confirmed.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: October 06, 2007, 07:55:30 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64

Uh, what?

Heh, but seriously, unlike the Pollyanna-types around here, my praise is a challenge to earn and as such is actually meaningful. That's what sets me apart from people who want to jump on Sakurai's sack when he rocks their world with stickers.

This is good news for both SSB fans and people who were considering giving the game a try but have never owned a SSB game. The adventure mode in the last one was kind of a playful romp down Nintendo memory lane which was nothing more than a mild distraction.

If this one can deliver us into situations where time-honored Nintendo icons team up to defeat a common evil, then as Dirk Temporo so eloquently puts it, we Nintendo fans will return to these forums afterward saying, "I came buckets".

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1315 on: October 06, 2007, 02:06:43 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64

Uh, what?

Heh, but seriously, unlike the Pollyanna-types around here, my praise is a challenge to earn and as such is actually meaningful. That's what sets me apart from people who want to jump on Sakurai's sack when he rocks their world with stickers.

This is good news for both SSB fans and people who were considering giving the game a try but have never owned a SSB game. The adventure mode in the last one was kind of a playful romp down Nintendo memory lane which was nothing more than a mild distraction.

If this one can deliver us into situations where time-honored Nintendo icons team up to defeat a common evil, then as Dirk Temporo so eloquently puts it, we Nintendo fans will return to these forums afterward saying, "I came buckets".

Hey, just so you know, I don't jump around like a rabid fanboy at every update. I thought the Pit cinema was a dull update, the stickers was neat but nothing overly exciting, I think the Pokemon updates are lame and the "how to play" updates are OK if you haven't played the game.

Hell, I wouldn't even call the 2 player co-op "the best update ever" as we have yet to see how solid the single player adventure will be.I suspect the cutscenes to be very short and I'm willing to bet the story will not make sense. Not even the fanservice will help it.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: October 06, 2007, 02:20:30 PM »
Well if you are expecting anything other than the classic Nintendo "A badguy descends and the heroes go to kick ass" storyline, then prepare to be disappointed...Those of us who just want something fun most likely won't be... =)

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1317 on: October 06, 2007, 02:23:23 PM »

Well if you are expecting anything other than the classic Nintendo "A badguy descends and the heroes go to kick ass" storyline, then prepare to be disappointed...Those of us who just want something fun most likely won't be... =)

I'm definitely expecting a crossover event with Nintendo characters. What I am worried about is how long these moments will last, like the cutscenes are like a minute each while the stages are obnoxiously long.

But we won't know till the game is released.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: October 06, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
"What I am worried about is how long these moments will last, like the cutscenes are like a minute each while the stages are obnoxiously long.

W...What!?  That's what I WANT!  And my desire for this is greater than your desire for it not to be, so I guess you're screwed!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1319 on: October 06, 2007, 02:59:14 PM »

"What I am worried about is how long these moments will last, like the cutscenes are like a minute each while the stages are obnoxiously long.

W...What!?  That's what I WANT!  And my desire for this is greater than your desire for it not to be, so I guess you're screwed!

All I'm hoping for is that the deeper adventure more is balanced, fun and engaging. The reason I am worried is that it reminds me a bit of those "side scroller beat 'em up" mini games in fighting games and those tend to be so-so at best.

Again, I'm not saying that the mode will suck but I am keeping a watchful eye on it as like I said, adventure modes in fighting game tend to be a hit or miss.

If it makes you feel better if done right Brawl could be one of the biggest games Nintendo has ever released. Its already brimming with extra features and game options, lord knows the type of stuff we don't know about yet...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: October 06, 2007, 03:10:19 PM »
1)  Smash Brothers isn't a standard fighting game...It is an action game that happens to have fighting in it...Unlike other fighting games, Smash Brothers has a very heavy platforming aspect that applies itself well to this sort of mode...
2)  A much better comparison would be Kirby Super Star, which was awesome...
3)  This isn't Namco, it's Nintendo...

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: October 06, 2007, 03:54:06 PM »
4) Obnoxiously long cutscenes (lol hi MGS and FF)=/=deep. Good and varied gameplay, enemies, and areas=deep.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: October 06, 2007, 04:20:40 PM »

Which begs the question how is CO-OP going to work in Battalion Wars Wii? Because in Adventure Mode Brawl it works because you can see what your partner is doing and watch his back...but in BWii you need to actually use strategy to beat the levels.

An online multiplayer Adventure Mode in Brawl works, but I wouldn't call it co-op because without communication, cooperation fails. It's more than simply "watch your partner's back." Good co-op games require a great deal of teamwork.

Now I'm not saying that Brawl needs voice chat or anything. The game is already loaded as it is. It'd be nice but not necessary. Team in Adventure Mode is kind of a bonus since it seems built mainly as a single player game. In any case, while I'm all for online bells and whistles, nothing beats having another player right next to you in the same room.

Hell, I wouldn't even call the 2 player co-op "the best update ever" as we have yet to see how solid the single player adventure will be.I suspect the cutscenes to be very short and I'm willing to bet the story will not make sense. Not even the fanservice will help it.

Not that the story is really a deal breaker by any means.... I just fully expect the Subspace storyline to fail. There was a good opportunity to do something special here. I wish they built the storyline around existing franchises. I'm still not a fan of the Subspace enemies, with the exception of Poppant who is the best enemy ever created.  

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: October 06, 2007, 08:06:56 PM »
The best update ever title is reserved for when Crono and Frog are announced for the game, thank you very much!  

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #1324 on: October 07, 2007, 01:14:07 AM »
Oh, I would be absolutely thrilled to death if Crono makes it in.  Square has got to realize how popular of a character he is...
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!