Author Topic: REVIEWS: Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon  (Read 13702 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: REVIEWS: Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 06:23:19 AM »
Dying in order to learn a lesson is trial and error, players don't enjoy it because dying is seen as a punishment for bad play but in trial and error scenarios it is unavoidable. A good game lets the player realize something will kill him before it will kill him (and it will let him avoid the death, of course). Trial and error is made even worse by making deaths remove a lot of progress since it means endlessly replaying the parts you already know like the back of your hand anyway. Generally gives a feeling of "how the **** did you expect me to know that?"

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2008, 10:28:52 AM »
Svlad, I just wanted to take point on a couple of things you noted in your last response.

As far as how much of your review is coming to grips with roguellike properties, 50% of the listed "cons" are standard roguelike features.

Unfortunately, they really are cons for the average player. As I said earlier the review isn't written for a roguelike audience it is written to approach even someone who was never played a game before. If someone looks at that from a completely unbiased or untrained eye, hearing that the game includes excessive death alongside major consequences and excessive grinding, that could be enough for them to say, "Hey, this game's not for me." The pros and cons list, at least in my reviews, are meant to bring so intrinsic details of the review into an easy to consume list for a reader skimming the review.

What I expect of a roguelike is, more or less, to die until I learn how not to die.

I think this is really what it all comes down to right here. Expectation of a game in general. Most games have evolved (for better of worse) to be much more forgiving than they once were. I think that is where the primitive comments come from and where much of love it or hate it comments come from as well. I tend to agree with KDR above, a game should let you flirt with death to learn a lesson rather than deal it. Especially in a roguelike, death is not only a lesson but a damn hard lesson at that.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, what death teaches you is grind, grind, grind, and again in my opinion, grinding is a failure of game design. Now I won't stretch this point to all mystery dungeon games, but this game in particular majorly failed in that department. Too much covering of old ground to experience new ground.

What that also did for me, discounting the grinding, was actually made the game boring because it was never actually challenging. Once I learned grinding was the key, I would grind until I could just slaughter my enemies, get to the next stage, see how hard they were, die purposely, go back to the last dungeon and grind until I could repeat the cycle again. Pretty much at all times I dominated my enemies once I "figured out" how to succeed, and that is no fun either.

I won't beat my point to death, but at least in this game, either better randomization or better level design would've made for a much more enjoyable experience. Just for fun, what would you consider a game that follows all other conventions of a roguelike and doesn't contain random dungeons?

As a wanderer from outside, though, I must say that I am very pleasantly surprised by the discussion that's evolved here.  I'll have to lurk around and see if this happens again, even if your reviews aren't aimed at me. :)

I'm glad to hear that, and I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on a variety of other topics that come up in daily discussion in here. Welcome to the NWR forums!
Check out PixlBit!

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2008, 10:47:42 AM »
We're going to run out of staff to review Mystery Dungeon games.  How come when I reviewed one it was like "YOU IS STUPID!  THER EARE HARDER ONES OUT THEY'RE!  YOU COMPAINT NOT VALID CUZ IT NOT TEH HARDIST!" and Nick gets the most civil discourse in a review thread ever?

Maybe because Nick didn't spend weeks ranting on the podcast about how he wanted to kill everyone involved in the production of the game?  (He only did that one week.)

I think you'll also find that many of Svlad's points are similar to the ones I tried to make about PMD at the time, but expressed much more eloquently.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2008, 04:07:46 PM »
Why does this happen after every single review of a Square-Enix game?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2008, 04:21:54 PM »
The Mystery Dungeon series is bad and you should feel bad.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 04:35:04 PM »
Mystery Dungeon is the most amazing game ever, the random dungeons are STUNNING. The pure genius of putting your character right by the exit or not pacing your character's leveling up via an inconsistent random dungeon system is proof of excellence of the game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 02:29:49 AM »
You made me do that GP.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Svlad

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2008, 04:22:19 PM »
Unfortunately, in my opinion, what death teaches you is grind, grind, grind, and again in my opinion, grinding is a failure of game design.

What that also did for me, discounting the grinding, was actually made the game boring because it was never actually challenging. Once I learned grinding was the key, I would grind until I could just slaughter my enemies.

This response made very little sense from what I understood, so I went back to looking at the game.  My wife has been the primary player of this game so far; I've spent a fair bit of time watching her, and a few things have slowly dawned on me.  Such as a revelation that explains why people keep talking about grinding and getting blank looks from me.  A confession is in order - while I have plenty of experience with the roguelike subgenre, my knowledge specifically of this particular series is nil.  So I was surprised to learn that, well..

You don't lose all of your levels when you die?!

I might not have to spell out what consequences this has, but I'll give it a shot anyway.  In most games in the subgenre, all character development is utterly ephemeral.  At any moment the classic "It breathes.  You die." event may make all of your leveling and equipment collection and effort instantly irrelevant.  This alters all sorts of strategic issues; if there's a very long leveling game, one hopes that death becomes increasingly unlikely towards the end of it, because at that point the stakes are very high.  There are several roguelikes with gameplay like this, including Angband and Nethack.  Dying near the end of these is not uncommon, but you do in fact generally have warning that it's going to happen and lots of ways to avoid it.  If you didn't, they'd be awful games.

This game essentially removes the "permanent death" aspect of roguelikes, and n my opinion it suffers very much for this decision..  Why?  Because it means that you can just power through dungeons by going elsewhere and gaining ten levels.  The developers have no control over what overall and job level you bring to the dungeon, so content can be obviated by overwhelming power.  In other words.. it makes grinding possible, and since it's possible it becomes mandatory in short order.  It shouldn't even be meaningful to grind in a short roguelike.. but here we are.  Ugh.

And yes, that means I feel that a major problem with the game is that the death consequence is not harsh enough; it breaks the fundamental gameplay.

Especially in a roguelike, death is not only a lesson but a damn hard lesson at that.

In this particular case, where the only thing death has to say to you is "grind more," there's not much positive to be said about it.  Let's pick a more useful example.. say, IVAN.  It comes up frequently enough in discussions of roguelikes that despite it being very obscure compared to mainstream games I feel comfortable saying it's relatively well-known.  IVAN's full name is Iter Vehemens ad Necem, and the webpage for it helpfully reminds me that that translates to A Violent Road to Death.. which is a fair description.  Among other nasty features, IVAN makes becoming more powerful a major risk; your enemies will without fail become more powerful to match.

I have never won a game of IVAN.  I've come very close, close enough that I'm fairly sure I know how it's done, but I must nonetheless admit defeat.  The duration of my longest game has been perhaps three hours.. and that is really the core of my point.  Most of my deaths have taken up less than twenty minutes of gameplay.  The ones that have lasted longer have been desperate, odds-defying exercises of wit, strategy, and sheer luck.  For all that they were the product of a simple turn-based game, they were exciting and difficult and.. yes, in the end, frustrating.  But I got all the way to the Enner Beast that time!  And after a while, something becomes apparent: when you find a strange, unknown room, item, creature, what-have-you, it is imperative that you try it out.  Even, or perhaps especially, if it kills you instantly.. because if it doesn't, it may lead to learning something that will keep your next character alive a little bit longer.

It is also very important to note that each character is a wildly different experience in IVAN; it is very important that you become familiar with all the things the game can possibly throw at you, because you will only see a small subset of them in each game.. and it is imperative that you exploit whatever oddities the game grants you this time around to have a chance of survival.  There are all sorts of things you can do to hugely increase the power of your character.. if only you are lucky enough to have access to them.

This game does not dream of recreating that experience.  To reiterate, I agree.  The grinding it teaches you represents a serious failure.

Just for fun, what would you consider a game that follows all other conventions of a roguelike and doesn't contain random dungeons?

It depends on just how much randomness you're subtracting.

If you go for a completely static world.. IVAN would not be the same at all if I knew, every single time, that I could get shrines of gods X, Y, and Z at certain points in the game and that I should therefore hang onto certain sets of items to sacrifice to them so that I could instantly gain their favor, pray to them, and get various huge advantages.   

I think the mechanics of sudden, permanent death and randomness are fairly strongly tied together.  If the world is the same or even very similar each time you trek through it, we are reduced to the scenario occurring in multitudes of games consisting of a save point that's too far from a difficult boss.  Your eighth trip through the first couple levels is no longer interesting because this time the game gave you a wand of lightning and some major problems were obviated; instead, it's a humdrum trip through "open secret door Y, pick up wand of lightning, fry monster Z, blah".

Maybe some truly inspired designer could decouple those two mechanics.  I would be very interested in seeing the game that would make it fun.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 12:18:42 AM »
Svlad, I'm sure it hasn't escaped your attention that these Mystery Dungeon games (which may or may not subscribe to your exact definition of roguelikes) have been applied to family-friendly and extremely mainstream licenses such as Pokemon and Final Fantasy.  Let us assume that the publishers aspire to sales reaching far beyond the built-in audience for the subgenre.  That means they are hoping to introduce this type of gameplay to a userbase of which a likely majority will have never played anything like it before.  I'm sure they are very pleased, in theory, to get feedback from players such as Nick who are trying their first roguelikes and who may not even have heard that term or known that such a subgenre exists.  In that sense, I hope you can see how Nick is not only a perfectly appropriate and reasonable choice to review this game (he being a fan of Final Fantasy) and that his review is perfectly legitimate.  In fact, as you have surmised by now, Nick knew what he was getting into much better than the typical player of this game.  When he writes about disliking the random dungeon structure and other elements that you consider inseparable from the game, he is not showing any ignorance or institutional bias.  That is his earnest opinion from playing the game extensively.  Obviously you disagree, and your perspective is valued here, but I hope you will reconsider and retract your suggestion that we should retract this review.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 01:13:24 AM »
Yeah I agree with you Jonny me and Nick sometimes discussed the mystery dungeon games via instant messenger and his thoughts through those conversations are echoed in this review. He does acknowledge that the core gameplay and depth in the game mechanics are pretty deep (since you can pick what class you want and roll in with them). Nick just has a distaste in the random dungeons and I can see how people can dislike it  since a lot of people favor good level design to a random generated floors.

This genre is really a love it or hate it because of how archaic this design is, I personally like them if the core gameplay has a lot of depth like the customization of character or weapons, interesting story and if the gameplay is enjoyable enough that it makes me want to come back to it (which is what Izuna 2 is doing to me currently).
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 05:56:19 AM »
Supposedly the MD games usually reset you to level 1 when you die (Shiren the Wanderer does) but the recent ones based on mainstream RPG franchises don't.

One critical point is also how well-designed the random generator is, the Japanese will often slap something together that creates an ugly and pointless maze of twisty passages, all alike. There are no special random events or points of interest like shrines for sacrifices or other optional hazards, usually it's just floor after floor of random geometry filled with monsters picked from a small list, there's rarely much difference between the playthroughs except of course things are moved around on the map (not that it matters since you're expected to kill everything on a floor anyway and thus always take the stairs last). Oh and because the number of levels in a dungeon can be increased just by changing a number in a file (instead of designing parts by hand) they tend to turn it up to 11 for good measure.

Offline Svlad

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 03:43:26 PM »
Obviously you disagree, and your perspective is valued here, but I hope you will reconsider and retract your suggestion that we should retract this review.

Turnabout is fair play, I see!  Well, I respectfully request that you retract your respectful requect that I retract my respectful request to retract the review.  Not for any actual reason, but because it was fun to type.

More seriously, see the next quote from a previous post.

As far as how much of your review is coming to grips with roguellike properties, 50% of the listed "cons" are standard roguelike features.  However.. If this is the sort of review that you feel will appeal to your target market, you presumably know your business.  I don't feel it's a good review of a roguelike, but it seems that you're saying that isn't what your readers are likely to want.  More power to you, then - you are not here to appeal to my ideal of a perfect review.

Please note the last couple sentences.  I've already implied it there, but I will formally say it here: I apologize for requesting the review be altered.  It serves its target market well, even if it's not me.

I cannot ask others to eat crow unless I'm willing to pick up a fork.

I have nothing to say about this game's failure to generate sufficiently interesting randomness other than insightful comments like "yeah, it sucks."  I could reword it and pontificate a bit if you like, as in "This demonstrates exactly why strong randomness is so important to roguelike design."  But.. same thing.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »
Okay, I wasn't sure if that earlier quote was intended to be a full retraction of your call for a retraction.  Glad we got that cleared up.  :-)

By the way, Nick wasn't writing his review for any particular audience.  We don't pander to demographics; see Game Informer's infamous review of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door for an example of why that's a terrible idea.  All you can ask of any reviewer is to be honest, thorough, and direct.  It's up to the reader to decide how to interpret or apply the review to his or her own decisions.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 05:41:29 PM »
We don't pander to demographics; see Game Informer's infamous review of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door for an example of why that's a terrible idea.

???  Care to explain for those of us who don't generally give a **** about Game Informer?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2008, 03:31:11 AM »
They gave it a significantly lower rating because, while they liked the game and all, they thought it's not something the mainstream would like (coincidentally they also gave Bangai-O Spirits a bad rating lately).

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2008, 09:20:30 AM »
This whole thread is reminding me how there seem to be two distinct groups in gaming.
One who likes rogue-like games and another who wants to burn Chunsoft to the ground. Because of that, there will probably always be a disagreement on every future Mystery Dungeon review on NWR.

Note: I know Chunsoft didn't develop this game (pretty sure at least)
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2008, 09:33:29 PM »
Note: I know Chunsoft didn't develop this game (pretty sure at least)

That's correct while Chunsoft did launch the mystery dungeon series back with Shiren on the SNES(theres a DS remake in america) they don't make a lot of mystery dungeon games. H.A.N.D. developed this game.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2008, 09:41:13 PM »
Grrr, there's too many words in this thread.

The heart of the issue is that the design of the dungeons aren't that good.  There's little reason to explore any given level, because there's little motivation other than gaining experience.  That's a problem.  The only reason to stay on a floor is to find the best saddle and claws of the ten levels before item selection changes, and after that, it's experience, solely experience.  It's a flaw because gaining experience for the sake of having experience is tedious and pointless.

Now, the game does have unique dungeons, basically challenge dungeons that limit your items, equipment and levels.  Those are fun, and the random dungeons are appropriate, for that matter, since things like the items you pick up and your energy are much more important in most of these dungeons.

The crafting system is also an annoyance.  If you want to upgrade your equipment to the highest point, you have to have tons of money or cheat and reset.  Either way, it takes a long time to reach the desired effects, and this all takes place outside of normal gameplay, it's all outside of the player's influence.  I know what Svlad said was a part of the genre, but to most gamers, the genre needs a makeover, and this type of gameplay will frustrate the Final Fantasy fans who picked up a game with "Final Fantasy" in the title.

Another disappointment is that the co-op play was completely removed from the game.  I was really hoping to see it expanded on, but unfortunately, I'm sad to say it was removed.

To me, the previous Chocobo's Dungeon iteration got a lot of things much better than this game did.  It's fun to play, yes, but not nearly as good as the one before it, which had greater point to explore dungeons, allowed greater levels of interaction with enemies, and had co-op play.  In exchange, this title offers a slightly different spin on challenge dungeons and a class system.  Personally, I think most players would lean to the former rather than the latter.

Oh, and there was also a better system for item usage before, too.  Claws and Saddles could break from use.  It was very challenging to balance everything necessary to win, and while tedious leveling did happen, most of the time, you'd also be able be hunting for great items, rather than the generic, mostly useless, offerings in this game.

I think the rating was fair.  Fans of the genre will pick it up and be satisfied, but not truly pleased, IMO.