Author Topic: GC Big Time Drawback  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Zerofire

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
GC Big Time Drawback
« on: December 26, 2005, 08:31:45 PM »
Hi,

First and foremost, hello. Newbie here. Newbie to forums, not to GC ^_^,

Now, this that I am about to report may habe been reported before but I'm new so, here goes. Language. Yes, it really isn't a big case for many but for me and others it is. I own a normal GC, no mods. Now. I just got FIFA 06, Shadow the hedgehog, and Sims Bustin' Out. Deal is, I had played FIFA 06 in Mexico and I loved the way it was commentated over there. So, I thought it had a language setting. What do you know, it doesn't. But, if you own an X-Box or PS2, you can change the language in the console and it changes it in the game, and many other games. GC. No Language selection -_-...

Anyways, the game rules in gameplay and grpahics. Anyone else wish they could change their games language?

Laterz.....  
Images are prohibited in signatures.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: GC Big Time Drawback
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 08:46:09 PM »
I wish I could put japanese subtitres and voice acting in every game kekekekek ^^;;;

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
RE:GC Big Time Drawback
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 09:06:05 PM »
I agree. One of my first games for the cube was Sonic Adventure 2. I played the game in English for a long time and was going througn the options and decided to switch it to Japanese. And I loved it. The Japanese voices were better sounding than the English ones. Now, I always like to compare languages whenever I can.  
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 10:01:36 PM »
I like the way FREE KEVIN was being sarcastic and deriding language selection as a useless option. (unless of course you can't understand the game because you're illiterate in English.)

But yeah this sounds like a terrible and huge drawback withthe GC. If I were you I'd consider migrating to Europe or Australia where all the games have langue options.
So anyway I was in the shopping center demanding to know where they kept the western potatoes when Drive Safe came around with Simple Plan blaring out telling me that driving on the wrong side of the road is ok if the other guy is drunk while I immediately jumped on my dirt racer to zoom out of ther

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 10:11:08 PM »

I just got FIFA 06, Shadow the hedgehog, and Sims Bustin' Out

Hahahaha!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 10:26:28 PM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey

I just got FIFA 06, Shadow the hedgehog, and Sims Bustin' Out

Hahahaha!
Don't laugh... we need all the 3rd party sales we can get
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 05:55:57 AM »
You mean people

Ive became one of those annoying purists, and since I can understand english pretty well most of the times, I despise with all my heart and soul translations on my games, thats why I downloaded HW2 even though I have the original game with its original disk, but its in spanish ( and worst, from Spain >_< god if the talk ugly). But indeed this is another disadvantage for Nintendo around here.

Question: does Europe really translates all its games? is the Wind Waker in spanish for instance? because I havent seen that in my life.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 10:38:41 AM »
I heard FIFA was supposed to actually be of pretty good quality...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 12:51:02 PM »
The thing is FIFA and Sims is understandable but Shadow the hedgehog thats hillarious.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 04:10:12 PM »
The European Wind Waker is in English, German, Spanish, Italian and French.
So anyway I was in the shopping center demanding to know where they kept the western potatoes when Drive Safe came around with Simple Plan blaring out telling me that driving on the wrong side of the road is ok if the other guy is drunk while I immediately jumped on my dirt racer to zoom out of ther

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 04:43:08 AM »
Despite the option being on the other game consoles directly, publishers would still need to translate and program each and every game.  And really, requiring publishers to do that would be worthless in most cases, taking up large amounts of disc space for big adventure and RPG titles.  Most people outside of Japan are not seriously interested in Japanese settings.  In North America, there is a market for French and Spanish, and some publishers do accomodate that.  Europeans get a standard set of languages to select from.

Considering the DS has a good selection of languages to select from in the firmware, there's a better chance that Nintendo may do the same with Revolution.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 05:05:00 PM »
In some cases (FIFA) a choice probably has to be made what to drop to make everything fit on a Cube disc. When it comes to North American localization I'd much rather it be foreign language options that only appeal to a very limited audience than cutting out game modes or doing like they did on the DS version of Madden and putting only one song on it.

I mean, I love foreign language options as much as the next guy... I played Broken Sword for the GBA through entirely in French... but having a whole additional color commentary team for each language option in a sports game is a major storage hog.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 10:07:20 PM »
Most games only get translated text, the voice acting often remains untranslated. Depends on the publisher obviously but the games I buy are from the publishers that don't translate voices (I think EA and Ubi do that). The only Nintendo game with translated voice acting I've ever seen was Doshin (and to a certain extend SSBM, Pokemon names change in every language so they have to change the voice samples for those).

Some text-heavy games don't even get the text translated, at least on the PS2. Arcade ports often remain engrish for all as well.

On the PC all games are fully translated and have no release delays (in the rare case that a translation takes too long you'll see the english version on sale).