Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553984 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5300 on: August 07, 2016, 10:27:02 PM »
If you only went to the theater one in a blue moon, I would have told you not to go see Ghostbusters. Not that that it was terrible or anything, just that it wasn't all that... great.
Not worth the price of admission for several people to watch in the theater "good".

But atleast you enjoyed it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: August 08, 2016, 12:42:26 AM »
I still want to see Suicide Squad. Rotten Tomatoes is deeply flawed as a grading system and I can't trust it's numbers.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5302 on: August 08, 2016, 12:50:00 AM »
No where near as good as Deadpool.
Made you look ****.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: August 08, 2016, 02:45:03 AM »
I still want to see Suicide Squad. Rotten Tomatoes is deeply flawed as a grading system and I can't trust it's numbers.

All RT does is tell you the percentage of reviewers that thought the movie was good vs bad.

and I just got back from Suicide Squad.... and I can't hop on the hate train.
I've read a ton of reviews.. and I just didn't see all of what most people were complaining about.

My biggest gripe would have to be the main badguy, but over all the movie was enjoyable. The jokes weren't really "funny" but there was obviously some humor. You've seem most of what to expect from Harley in the trailers, and there were some scenes in the trailers that weren't in the final movie. The Joker was not exactly what I expected, and didn't really "joker" much, but he was throughout the movie. Not sure how much more of him we were supposed to get.... He had opportunities to "joker" it up and didn't... so it just was what it was I guess.

What I did find funny though is that the need for the Suicide Squad in the first place... well at least their first mission, was because of the 1st member of the squad going rogue. and due to that, the big bad was created almost out of nowhere...

But i'm not going into too much detail. The movie wasn't perfect, but it was entertaining.
The big bad boss plot could have used some work, but overall, I liked the movie.

This was a nice step forward from the hot mess that was BvS, and I don't care what anyone else says about that movie, but it was bad. SS on the other had was fun to watch despite any of it's flaws. This movie gives me hope going forward in the DCCU. Let's hope WW and especially JL don't kill that hope.

edit: I must add that I missed the very first scene and came in when Waller was at dinner.
If someone that has seen the movie would be so kind as to describe the opening to me, that would be nice :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:52:28 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5304 on: August 08, 2016, 12:46:39 PM »
I strongly prefer Metacritic to Rotten Tomatoes.  I just can't get past their "hot or not" style of aggregating.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: August 09, 2016, 01:18:48 AM »
I've had more time to digest SS, and the more I think about it, the more I don't really like Leto's Joker... or atleast what they showed of him in SS. I don't know if the deleted scenes would fix his characterization, but what I saw I wasn't really feeling.

His joker wasn't cRaZy and unpredictable and doing it for the LOL's enough for me. He wasn't quite as twisted and Bi-polar and schitzo as I expect him to be. Not enough Psychotic behavior, no showman ship, and his laugh was kinda terrible.

I'm not sure I want more of the Joker we were shown, but it's the Joker we get... so I really hope they let him loose in the next outting, which I assume will be the Batman solo in 2018. maybe a few peppered appearances throughout the next few movies like Batman in SS.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:50:18 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: August 09, 2016, 05:18:50 PM »
I saw Star Trek Beyond this afternoon. Like its predecessors, it's a big action-adventure movie dressed up as Star Trek, but it's a fun ride. For all the issues I have with the reboot, it's still shocking how well they recast the crew, and I thought this one in particular stuck pretty well to the ideals of Star Trek in between big gratuitous action sequences. There's a moment near the very end where New Spock is going through Old Spock's things and finds a photo of the old crew that convinces him to stay in Starfleet that I thought was really well done.

I think the biggest compliment I can give this movie is it made me want to go back and watch Into Darkness, which I never got around to seeing before now.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: August 09, 2016, 08:27:42 PM »
The first scene is just Waller talking to the dude about forming the team over dinner, and you get brief intros for Deadshot, Harley Quinn, Captain Boomerang, Diablo and Killer Croc. I kinda disagree about Joker though.  This version is just pure evil, much like the comic book and Arkham video game series Joker, just not very comedic. He didn't need to be in the movie much though, he's not part of the Suicide Squad anyway, this was to show why Harley is the way she is, and most likely introduce him before the next Batman movie. At least we'll finally get the same Joker in more than one film.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: August 09, 2016, 10:04:42 PM »
All RT does is tell you the percentage of reviewers that thought the movie was good vs bad.

I'm not even sure it always does that. I've read rotten and fresh reviews from RT that both had a tone of 'the movie has good points and bad points' and it seems they arbitrarily assign fresh or rotten to reviews that are in the middle.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: August 10, 2016, 04:37:28 PM »
I always stick with IMDB and read a couple amateur reviews, good and bad. If the person thinks like me and likes it, that I'll watch. The opposite is true too.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5310 on: August 10, 2016, 07:53:45 PM »
DC really needs to hop of Marvel's Bandwagon and make a strike for themselves.
Made you look ****.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: August 10, 2016, 08:50:05 PM »
DC on Marvel's bandwagon?

If that was the case, the DCCU would be quite a bit different than it is now.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5312 on: August 10, 2016, 08:52:15 PM »
BvS, rip off of the avengers.
Suicide squad, rip-off of Deadpool.
Seeing a trend here?

Plus the fact most of their movies are nowhere near as good as marvels. If you compare them,... DC sucks.
prepares for shitstorm.
Made you look ****.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: August 10, 2016, 10:16:55 PM »
You should like Suicide Squad, it has Captain Boomerang in it.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5314 on: August 10, 2016, 10:47:09 PM »
Isn't Captain Australia already a Marvel thing? XD
Made you look ****.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: August 11, 2016, 09:36:30 PM »
Thought Marvel's was just 'Boomerang'? At least that is the name in one of the Marvel games I play.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: August 12, 2016, 01:02:50 PM »
Suicide Squad is not a Deadpool ripoff. They are really nothing alike, other than someone gets rescued and there are guns and a sword. Anywho...

Star Trek: Beyond - 6/10

This is actually the first Star Trek movie (or anything, really) that I've seen. Probably never would have seen it, but it was part of a team celebration thing from my job. It was fun to watch I guess, but pretty generic. Cool use of Sabotage by Beastie Boys though, but you knew that was coming anyway from the commercials. Also they way they chopped up the song was stupid, they should have just played the whole thing. Maybe it would have been better if I had seen the other movies, maybe not. Whatever.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 03:55:51 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #5317 on: August 13, 2016, 10:26:46 AM »
I saw Star Trek Beyond and it was ok I guess. I enjoyed the nods to Enterprise and it dealt with the deaths of Anton Yelchin and Leonard Nimoy in a touching way. THe movie was at it's best when it was pairs of characters exploring the planet and at its worst in almost all the action scenes. Except when Beastie Boys Sabotage came on, that bit was good.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: August 14, 2016, 04:21:38 AM »
El Cid A classic medieval epic starring Charlton Heston as the hero of Spain. Great period costumes and castles. After watching it, I'm convinced that Dennis O'Neil based Ras Al Ghul in part on this movie.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: August 14, 2016, 01:48:46 PM »
Is that on Netflix? I love the story of El Cid so I'll be sure to check this out.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: August 14, 2016, 02:29:35 PM »
No, for some reason it's a hard one to find. Not on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu. Never seen it on TV either. I watched it on DVD.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: August 15, 2016, 04:00:11 AM »
El Cid A classic medieval epic starring Charlton Heston as the hero of Spain. Great period costumes and castles. After watching it, I'm convinced that Dennis O'Neil based Ras Al Ghul in part on this movie.

What reminded you of Ras Al Ghul from this movie?

El Cid is a movie I was interested in seeing for awhile. It was Heston's next movie after Ben-Hur and Sophia Loren was just hitting the peak of her career having won an Oscar and a couple more of her most famous Italian movie roles were on the way. Martin Scorsese is also a big fan of it. It has its moments and I'm on the positive side to it but there is something about it I find a bit lacking. When it comes to epics, there are others I'd easily put ahead of it. Maybe it's because I have a hard time taking Herbert Lom seriously after the Pink Panther films but he just comes across as a villainous caricature than a real threat and his death doesn't do anything to dispel that notion. The whole ending just seems a little silly. Heston, of course, nails the role of a righteous warrior who upholds his loyalty to his king no matter what mistreatment the king may put upon him. The court intrigues are well done but there's no standout sequence I can think of compared to Lawrence of Arabia, Ben-Hur or even Spartacus of which I can easily think of many different great moments. It's at least 2 years since I saw the film, maybe even 3. A lot has faded from my memory but I do remember liking Loren in the film although it takes some time until close to the intermission where she finally admits love to El Cid that brought me around to liking her. Still, when that happens, it seemed to improve the film and having the two stars working together finally gets the movie into a higher gear.

On the topic of Loren, one movie I've been interested in seeing for quite awhile now is The Fall of the Roman Empire. It's a movie often cited as a big example in the demise of the Epic movie genre and the Roman-era set stories. Sophia Loren stars in it and I see it was also directed by Mann who directed El Cid. It's got some big name talent in it and actors I like such as Alec Guinness, James Mason, Omar Sharif and Christopher Plummer. I'm curious to see just how bad it is and what the actors are like in it.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: August 15, 2016, 10:33:21 AM »
If you look at Charlton Heston's beard, especially at the end of the movie, he has a two streaks in his beard plus intense eyes that make him look a lot like Ras Al Ghul. Not to mention the legend of El Cid has the encounter with Lazarus, which is referenced in the film, and the moors have a middle eastern vibe that Ras has. I can also see the fawning Sophia Loren as a stand in for Talia. Maybe Neal Adams was the one that watched the movie and was inspired. Either way, I can see the influence.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: August 20, 2016, 04:27:59 AM »
Cabin Fever (the new remake)

I went in knowing it would be bad, but I didn't think it would be this bad.
There was literally a Jason Vorheev's moment at the edge of the lake... that's the moment I knew I had to say something.
I don't understand why they can't make a horror movie where people do normal things a person might do... or are we all really just this fucking stupid?

I mean near the end, the love interest is sick... **SPOILER ALERT... not that you should care**
they have her in the shed, and she begs to be killed. He has a rifle and already expended all his ammo killing a sick dog that was trying to gnaw on her. so after she kept begging to be killed, he tried to take her head off with the shovel. Missed, splitting her mouth open like the Joker, then decided he is terrible at this. so she somehow still screams to be killed, so being that he's been in love with her since FOREVER, he decides the merciful way to put her out of her misery is to douse her in gasoline and set her on fire and walk away as she screams out in agony. Literally one of the worst ways to die.

Now mind you not even a minute later, some men that mean to kill him shoot his homeboy in the head who's sitting right in front of him. he grabs his rifle and turns around trying to shoot... but the trigger don't work. The men laugh at him and say "hehehe you got the safety on... hehehe"
He says "thank" undoes the safety and then unloads 20 rounds into them.

Now remember not even a minute ago, his gun was out of ammo. all of sudden he has a full clip.

and there's tons more stupid, like how at the very end, there are somehow pics posted of the gruesomeness and the shovel to face "mercy killing" posted on Instagram or something, when literally no one had their phones out, no one could have snapped the last photo, unless it was the dead dog, and no one survived to post them to their account anyway.

Green Room

Now this was a much more interesting movie. Kinda gruesome in some parts... actually it's downright gory in some parts, with a very unexpected role by someone I never would have thought to be in this kind of movie. This one I would recommend to fans of the horror/thriller with scenes of extreme graphic violence. No spoilers here.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: August 20, 2016, 06:48:47 AM »
Cabin Fever (the new remake)

I went in knowing it would be bad, but I didn't think it would be this bad.
There was literally a Jason Vorheev's moment at the edge of the lake... that's the moment I knew I had to say something.
I don't understand why they can't make a horror movie where people do normal things a person might do... or are we all really just this fucking stupid?

I mean near the end, the love interest is sick... **SPOILER ALERT... not that you should care**
they have her in the shed, and she begs to be killed. He has a rifle and already expended all his ammo killing a sick dog that was trying to gnaw on her. so after she kept begging to be killed, he tried to take her head off with the shovel. Missed, splitting her mouth open like the Joker, then decided he is terrible at this. so she somehow still screams to be killed, so being that he's been in love with her since FOREVER, he decides the merciful way to put her out of her misery is to douse her in gasoline and set her on fire and walk away as she screams out in agony. Literally one of the worst ways to die.

Now mind you not even a minute later, some men that mean to kill him shoot his homeboy in the head who's sitting right in front of him. he grabs his rifle and turns around trying to shoot... but the trigger don't work. The men laugh at him and say "hehehe you got the safety on... hehehe"
He says "thank" undoes the safety and then unloads 20 rounds into them.

Now remember not even a minute ago, his gun was out of ammo. all of sudden he has a full clip.

and there's tons more stupid, like how at the very end, there are somehow pics posted of the gruesomeness and the shovel to face "mercy killing" posted on Instagram or something, when literally no one had their phones out, no one could have snapped the last photo, unless it was the dead dog, and no one survived to post them to their account anyway.

The original Cabin Fever is one of my favorite movies ever. That being said this is the Psycho Remake of Cabin Fever. It's a simulacrum. It's a copy. Very little is changed. I know all of the words to the script in the original. I've probably seen the original 30 or so times. I used to clean my apartment and organize my books, I could listen to music sometimes, but Cabin Fever was just as good. The original was one of those movies where it was a breath of fresh air from all the pg13 movies that had been coming out at the time for years. It harkened back to the 80s and was retro-pie.

I watched the "making of" featurette on the remake. They said they made the movie for the same budget as the original. NO. YOU DID WHAT? I'm pretty sure accounting for inflation that is considerably less money than the original. You used worse actors, a not creepy location, you copied the script 97% word for word. What was the point? A couple other things. The director said he wanted to make a more action-y less comic version of Cabin Fever. Cabin Fever was meant to be somewhat funny. Watch any Eli Roth movie and the guy has a good sense of humor. Wait one day he might just make a Teen Comedy movie. The appeal of the series is a Horror comedy. They had said they wanted to reboot after Patient Zero. So stupid. Patient Zero was actually pretty decent.

If they were going to do a remake they should have done it for the budget of a remake. I think of movies like Friday the 13th or a Nightmare on Elm Street. Those were pretty decent remakes. **** Actually I should say Piranha and Hills Have Eyes, those are fantastic(both directed by Alexander Aja)
I wish a decent horror movie production company like Dimension owned the rights. This was ****. 

I have to say: from the trailer I actually expected worse.  I went in with low low low expectations. It was better than that, but it was still terrible. None of the charm of the original. It's interesting to read posts on it from young people though. They seem to like it, I guess because the characters have facebook. I don't know.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 06:52:39 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post