Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553591 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #1875 on: December 27, 2010, 12:37:16 PM »
The music stood out as being very well done. I had only heard of Daft Punk by name before.

I wish the theater we saw the film in had better sound.  Sometimes louder isn't always better, as actually being able to hear the music instead of "feeling" the beat would have been a better option.
NNID: ejamer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: December 27, 2010, 07:33:30 PM »
I got the DVD for Despicable Me for Christmas and I just finished watching it.  Eh, it was OK.  It tries to straddle the line between Pixar and Dreamworks, and as an effort from a Rookie studio it's a pretty decent movie.  The animation has a good sense of movement, the music isn't cringe-worthy, the voice acting is competent, and the writing is passable.  The big problem is that the movie only exceeds my expectations in that it didn't suck.  There is no depth to the movie, and the story goes exactly as you would think it would.  I'm on the fence about the Minions, which can be fun to watch but also feel somewhat fake, like they were focus-grouped into existence for the purpose of selling a spin-off property.  There are certainly worse CG movies you could see this year, though, and for a first attempt from a new studio it's certainly watchable.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1877 on: December 31, 2010, 07:47:08 PM »
Death of a President - Mediocre (not good, but not bad either) mockumentary about George W. Bush being assassinated and Dick Cheney becoming president. It's about how Cheney further expanded the USA PATRIOT Act to take away even more of our civil liberties than the original PATRIOT Act did. The government frames a Syrian for the murder and continues to keep him on death row even after it is proven that someone else did it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1878 on: December 31, 2010, 09:25:18 PM »
The King's Speech: SEE THIS MOVIE/10. Colin Firth is an incredibly gifted actor, and this movie is fantastic.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1879 on: January 01, 2011, 06:41:11 PM »
The Fighter - Pretty Great/10

Wow! Those accents! Man, they were thick. The charaters were all pretty interesting. The boxing matches were good. I heard they used actual HBO stuff to do it. Somebody REALLY wants an oscar, and you can tell the whole time.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1880 on: January 01, 2011, 06:48:37 PM »
The HBO stuff wasn't that noteworthy to me since Rocky Balboa did the same thing several years ago. I still like that they presented it like something you might actually see though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: January 01, 2011, 06:53:34 PM »
Nearly at the end of The Expendables now, and man I hate this movie.  I can admire any movie that's this open about how stupid and action-focused it is, but the movie's just so...boring.  The action is pretty average outside of some gore and one set piece involving a plane and a dock, the acting is pretty so-so, and the dialogue isn't even lovably cheesy in the way that the great action films of the 80s were.  If you're going to make a movie that is this earnest about being over-the-top, the movie actually needs to be over-the-top: over-acting, cheesy dialogue, wild explosions, the whole works.  This movie is just surprisingly...tame, and the camera work makes me feel ill.  Meh.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: January 01, 2011, 11:58:44 PM »
The Fighter - Pretty Great/10

Wow! Those accents! Man, they were thick. The charaters were all pretty interesting. The boxing matches were good. I heard they used actual HBO stuff to do it. Somebody REALLY wants an oscar, and you can tell the whole time.

If Christian Bale doesn't win an Oscar for best supporting actor I'd be shocked--he did an amazing job.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: January 02, 2011, 02:12:00 AM »
Drop Dead Sexy
Pretty lame. I watched this because Jason Lee and Crispin Glover were in it. The a few decent scenes, but on a whole this was weak. On a side note for Nintendo fans, Melissa Keller, the model from the Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Who Are You? commercial, is in this. She's super attractive but attractive models/actresses never made a mediocre movie into a good one.

Superman: Doomsday
Oh Jeez, facepalm. It's obviously an adaptation of "The Death of Superman" arc was pretty lame itself and they managed to make it worse here. The animation is terrible and Anne Heche as Lois Lane made me wish I didn't have eardrums.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1884 on: January 02, 2011, 03:10:08 AM »
Yeah, Superman: Doomsday was definately the worst DCAU movie made so far. Yesterday I bought Superman/Batman: Public Enemies for $6. Fair price, I think. I bought it largely thanks to the presence of Power Girl but I also liked the fight sequences.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1885 on: January 02, 2011, 10:26:11 AM »
I have to disagree. I didn't like the ending, but the rest of the movie wasn't that bad. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is terrible (although at least they got Kevin Conroy to do Batman and Tim Daly as Superman.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1886 on: January 02, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »
Apocalpyse was certainly uneven, and I didn't like the art style.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #1887 on: January 02, 2011, 09:08:27 PM »
What? Apocalypse was great, I thought. The art was a decent job of translating Michael Turner's (rest in peace) work, and the story was pretty much non-stop action. I didn't like Superman's big brother act, but I liked the fights with the Fatal Furies, and the show down at the end with Darkseid.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: January 02, 2011, 11:03:28 PM »
Inglorious Basterds - 10/10
Seriously, this has to be one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life. I wish I saw it sooner, but I'm glad I finally did.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: January 02, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
i need to watch that again
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: January 03, 2011, 04:54:14 PM »
True Grit

8/10

Need subtitles. Still I laughed multiple times and even yelled out in excitement a few times. Which is just like any other Coen Brothers movies I've seen.

Black Swan

10/10

My movie of the year. Darren Aronofsky's fast becoming my new favorite director.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: January 03, 2011, 05:23:35 PM »
the town 8/10, pretty good crime film
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: January 03, 2011, 10:13:17 PM »
Black Swan

10/10

My movie of the year. Darren Aronofsky's fast becoming my new favorite director.

Good to hear I think I am going to see it later this week.  I was asked by a friend and thought I would but after coming home and looking up a bit more about it I have to call her and tell her I will definitely go.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: January 03, 2011, 10:43:41 PM »
Darren Aronofsky's fast becoming my new favorite director.

Only just now? He had me with Pi.

I'm still trying to get around to see Black Swan.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: January 04, 2011, 10:56:05 PM »
The Fighter 10/10

Just amazing acting the whole way through and a great movie overall!
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: January 05, 2011, 12:56:17 AM »
Tomorrow When the War Began.  7/10.

I don't know if this movie came outside Australia.  But I can honestly say it is the ONLY piece of Australian cinema that I have ever completely watched enjoyed.  While I didn't think it was Oscar worthy or anything like that, it was an enjoyable way to spend 2 hrs.  Hopefully they continue with the rest of the series.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: January 05, 2011, 03:45:57 AM »
That Australian horror movie about sharks is pretty good.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: January 05, 2011, 06:40:58 AM »
I'm afraid I don't ever remember hearing about it.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: January 05, 2011, 06:48:12 AM »
Indecent Proposal: 7/10
Somehow I missed seeing this movie over the last seventeen years, but I saw it yesterday. It started out good, got pretty boring and somewhat inconsistent in the middle, then redeemed itself with a decent ending. The story, acting, and directing are all pretty good and hold up to modern standards, and the story in particular is still relevant.

Paper Heart: 8/10
Documentary with Charlyne(sp?) Yi (the stoned Asian chick from Knocked Up) about true love. The actress herself doesn't believe in love, interviews people on it, and even finds some romance herself with Michael Cera which is affected by her disbelief in love. I didn't think I would enjoy this documentary at all, but it was surprisingly good, well thought out, and very engaging.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: January 05, 2011, 10:33:05 AM »
The Sleeping Dictionary

Fairly typical date movie that probably could've been worse.  Surely having Jessica Alba in a prominent role has to be worth something..?  But don't be fooled.  Even my wife agrees that it wasn't worth watching.

Best moment of the movie: When my wife laughed and pointed out that the main character was sleeping with sisters, and got both of them pregnant. She wondered if he was going to hit on the mom next.

Worst moment of the movie: Pretty much everything else.
NNID: ejamer