Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3163477 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #3000 on: November 03, 2008, 08:57:47 PM »
It just show's how Microsoft's QA is abysmal.

It's as if they don't think we have enough evidence of that already. T_T

Well my limited edition of fable 2 had the bonus disc off it's spindle but people had issues of having either: game disc, bonus disc, Limited Edition code card  missing. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that had everything. I think this is the last time I genuinely trust Lionhead.

Why Lionhead? It looks like MS handled the distribution and more than likely the play testing.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: November 03, 2008, 10:59:24 PM »
Lionhead let a bunch of glitches through in B and W but that game is just too good to care.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: November 04, 2008, 01:59:56 AM »
Lionhead let a bunch of glitches through in B and W but that game is just too bad to care.

fixed.

I guess MS just puts the barrier very low so third parties are happy... The problem is they tend to be happy about having to do less work. Hell, MS doesn't even care that the text in a game causes eye strain or is impossible to read.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3003 on: November 04, 2008, 11:53:01 PM »
35 million sold with 47.6% percent of the market according to VGChartz.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: November 05, 2008, 05:14:51 PM »
Should reach 50% by the end of the year.  Then hopefully third parties realize that the Wii is, in fact, the market leader and will adjust accordingly.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: November 05, 2008, 05:17:36 PM »
Nah.  You still gotta take into account the dying PC market.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: November 05, 2008, 06:06:41 PM »
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3007 on: November 05, 2008, 06:18:35 PM »
I saw some numbers earlier but those were estimates.I am sure those are the same numbers. I think we should wait for the final numbers.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3008 on: November 05, 2008, 06:20:04 PM »
The Wiis I saw piling up at Fry's are trying to tell me something.

IT'S A PARADIGM SHIFT
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: November 05, 2008, 08:16:59 PM »
Whaaat?
PS3 outsells Wii

Am I to assume your  joking? It was posted Nov 16th 2007
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3010 on: November 05, 2008, 08:24:20 PM »
OMG it is from 2007.BFS you should keep current and not in the past.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: November 05, 2008, 10:03:02 PM »
Should reach 50% by the end of the year.  Then hopefully third parties realize that the Wii is, in fact, the market leader and will adjust accordingly.

This will happen to some extent, but I do believe that the HD systems (PC-PS2-360) are still very viable as a separate userbase if the companies involved can exploit that audience. I definitely don't believe we'll see a repeat of PlayStation2 style market consolidation.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3012 on: November 05, 2008, 10:48:21 PM »
separate but shrinking

wii is the new psx

wiitoo will have ps2 dominance

OH WHO I AM KIDDING, WII IS ALREADY DOMINANT

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: November 06, 2008, 01:38:29 AM »
Bethesda isn't exactly bullish about Wii.  Not surprising, since the type of games they make probably wouldn't sell very well on the console anyways.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/bethesda-pencils-in-new-elder-scrolls-title-for-2010
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: November 06, 2008, 02:02:07 AM »

This will happen to some extent, but I do believe that the HD systems (PC-PS2-360) are still very viable as a separate userbase if the companies involved can exploit that audience. I definitely don't believe we'll see a repeat of PlayStation2 style market consolidation.

It's funny that third parties suddenly care what's "viable" when last generation they mostly cut support for consoles once they discovered that weren't selling well (GC, Xbox never got much in the way of exclusives.)  But anyway, you're already seeing this happen in Japan.  PS3 game announcements are drying up, and 360 games do very poorly there and most from Japan do poorly here, too.  Third parties have reached the point where developing for the HD consoles doesn't outweigh the potential of a hit Wii game in their repertoire, and the highest selling Wii games, aside from Wii Play, are the games with the most effort put into them.  So those resources are needed to please the much larger Wii market, and cannot be solely allocated to two consoles that will constitute less than half the total market.  The habit of giving the 360 and PS3 more resources simply because they require more will be over.

I mean think about it.  Say you're Capcom, and you just got a telegram from the future.  The Wii is the #1 console in every market, by a large margin.  Would you then focus on making 2 or 3 360/PS3 games when you could make 6 or 7 Wii games with equivalent effort (both into game quality and manpower) and time?  Resident Evil 5 is just hogging all the developers and resources, your profits are falling and the most exciting thing you've made in 3 years is a 2-D game with NES graphics that sold the best on Wii.  Would you sincerely think more 360 games is the answer?

Say you are Konami.  You put all your eggs into this one Metal Gear Basket, it comes out, and sells less than the previous game and fails to excite the PS3 consumers much.  The game cost SIGNIFICANTLY more than the previous, which was a PS2 game of all things.  Would you then greenlight another gigantic, expensive, PS3 exclusive, especially if you couldn't use the fading brand of Metal Gear again so soon?

Say you are Square Enix.  Your biggest game that you've announced is Final Fantasy 13, a game with a release date at some day at some point in the future, sometime.  Your actual biggest game this gen, based on unit sales is Dragon Quest Swords, a game that sold 710,000 worldwide and was even developed FOR you by a Nintendo second party.  Everything else is a flop because Japan doesn't buy 360's and American 360 owners don't buy RPGs from non-American companies.  You are funding your albatross of a Main Series Final Fantasy game with DS sales that you've even had to jack up $10 over the standard.  If you knew then what you know now, would you have seriously put Final Fantasy 13 on the last place, loser console this generation when you could have put it on the market leader and actually have released it by now?

These questions are being asked every single day at these companies, and if they aren't, then they deserve to get replaced by the rising third parties like Marvelous that see the Wii as an opportunity rather than a dumping ground to scrape funding for unsustainable products, no matter what magazine scores they get.

EDIT: Lindy, that guy's opinion kinda sucks, because he's using the tired meme of "The Wii will stop selling at some point," and "Wii's days are numbered." Which is the sort of thing Gamefaqs GC fanboy said of the PS2 in 2002.  And the sales totally refute this but if that's what the Bethesda guy wants to believe, he can.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:11:23 AM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3015 on: November 06, 2008, 02:25:24 AM »
Bethesda isn't exactly bullish about Wii.  Not surprising, since the type of games they make probably wouldn't sell very well on the console anyways.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/bethesda-pencils-in-new-elder-scrolls-title-for-2010

::shakes head:: Not going to touch that one.

Though I will say isn't it funny people know so much about what is going to sell and what isn't even when particular titles haven't even came to the system with development resources or marketing behind them.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:27:07 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: November 06, 2008, 02:50:02 AM »
Would you sincerely think more 360 games is the answer?

If I was Capcom, probably. Their minds seem to work differently from ours.

Would you then greenlight another gigantic, expensive, PS3 exclusive, especially if you couldn't use the fading brand of Metal Gear again so soon?

Obviously they'd finance it with their PES and Castlevania brands :P

If you knew then what you know now, would you have seriously put Final Fantasy 13 on the last place, loser console this generation when you could have put it on the market leader and actually have released it by now?

Between two consoles with too few users and too high costs and a console with users who don't want lengthy, low-challenge games, would FF13 really be a good idea on any of them?

Too many think "we've got this great game idea, which console will we make it for" and then accept compromises. First think of a customer, THEN you can decide on the requirements!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3017 on: November 06, 2008, 03:05:10 AM »
The customers work 3 jobs already.  That much is known.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: November 06, 2008, 08:03:50 AM »
At the end of the day, I just want some fucking good Wii shooting games.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: November 06, 2008, 01:36:54 PM »
10/27 - 11/02 Media Create

01. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (Capcom) 133,000 / NEW
02. [NDS] Valkyrie Profile: Toga o Seoumono (Square Enix) 80,000 / NEW
03. [PS3] LittleBigPlanet (SCE) 52,000 / NEW
04. [NDS] Pokémon Platinum (Pokémon) 47,000 / 1,853,400
05. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion Girls Mode (Nintendo) 40,000 / 117,000
06. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) 39,000 / 1,089,000
07. [360] Grand Theft Auto IV (Capcom) 34,000 / NEW
08. [NDS] Personal Trainer: Walking (Nintendo) 26,000 / NEW
09. [NDS] Cid to Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon: Toki Wasure no Meikyuu + (Square Enix) 26,000 / NEW
10. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (Capcom) 26,000 / NEW

11. [WII] Wii Music (Nintendo)
12. [NDS] Avalon Code
13. [WII] Shape Boxing: Wii de Enjoy! Diet (Imagine)
14. [PSP] Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida Or 2 (SCE)
15. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)
16. [WII] Bokujou Monogatari: Waku Waku Animal March
17. [NDS] Yes! Precure 5 Go Go Zenin Shu Go! Dream Festival (Namco Bandai)
18. [PS3] SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Confrontation
19. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
20. [PS2] Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Special (KOEI)
21. [NDS] Vitamin Y (D3)
22. [PS2] Thunder Force VI (SEGA)
23. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5)
24. [PSP] Bleach: Soul Carnival (SCE)
25. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
26. [PSP] Macross Ace Frontier (Namco Bandai)
27. [NDS] Dragonball DS (Namco Bandai)
28. [NDS] Dr. Slump & Arale-Chan (Namco Bandai)
29. [NDS] Culdcept DS (SEGA)
30. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III (SCE)

DSi 171,925
PSP 50,358
PS3 39,587
Wii 23,123
DS Lite 16,369
PS2 6,714
Xbox 360 6,119
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:52:25 PM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: November 06, 2008, 01:48:02 PM »
I think Bethesda's stance makes sense for their company in particular.  I think most of the people that buy their epic-scale RPGs already do so on PC/360/PS3, and since they're a small company they can typically only focus on/fund one project at a time.  On top of that, they seem very risk-averse (viewing Wii development as a risk, since they probably aren't sure what kind of Wii game they could make that would actually sell) and are content to make money with their built-in audience.  I can't fault them for that, since Fallout 3 is moving a lot of units and they're obviously making money.

I just think it's interesting that many developers seem to view Wii as a risk rather than an opportunity.  It seems that they look at that big userbase and instead of saying "Wow there's a lot of people out there that could buy my game", they say "Wow, there's a lot of people out there that won't buy my game".  Rockstar is the same way.  I never thought I'd see the day when the Nintendo DS would be the developer Nintendo system of choice for adult-themed games (e.g. Chinatown Wars).
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: November 06, 2008, 02:05:25 PM »
I can't fault them for that, since Fallout 3 is moving a lot of units and they're obviously making money.

The two don't necessarily go hand-in-hand this generation.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: November 06, 2008, 02:13:50 PM »
This generation is pretty damn broken anyway. Everybody develops for the HD twins yet those don't have many good games either (or at least none caught my eye when standing in front of a shelf full of XBox 360 games)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: November 06, 2008, 02:23:40 PM »
There's no denying that one can come up with a very logical argument for third parties to support the Wii.  Hell, it's EASY to make that argument.  Wii has the largest marketshare.  Done.  That's the best argument.  That's the reason to support it.

You know when Nintendo was acting like the Wii was not in competition with the other consoles?  It's like the third parties BELIEVE that.  They seem to regard the Wii as the casual non-gamer console and the other two as the traditional gamer consoles and think if they make a, you know, good game with depth and stuff on the Wii it won't sell.  Is it the hardware difference?  Is is the controller?  It's like before all anyone cared about was money and then Nintendo releases the ultimate money maker and all these third parties get all artistic.  Can't compromise my artistic vision with the Wii's last gen hardware and waggle controller even though like three years ago I even ported my games to the N-Gage.

When Nintendo said they weren't competing with Sony and MS it was a "cover our ass" comment.  Companies spout that crap all the time.  Nintendo said the DS a third pillar to not discourage GBA sales and to preserve the Game Boy name if the DS bombed.  They said the Wii wasn't competing to save face if they got creamed.

I really hope once they hit 50% third party support comes with it but it makes no sense why it's taken this long.  They honestly must really think the Wii userbase is nothing but grandmas.  I suppose it would be nice if Nintendo didn't see fit to emphasize those stats each time.  Just once let us know how many 13-35 year old males own a Wii.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: November 06, 2008, 04:13:34 PM »
The Wii is not in competition with the other consoles, it made the other consoles irrelevant to most of the market (well, actually they were irrelevant from the start and the Wii made those markets a part of gaming). Many people simply don't even consider other consoles an option with their craptons of buttons that are all needed to play the game (seriously, how many buttons does a run and gun shooter need?). It's simply a part of the business strategy. But I think we've told you that often enough and you still don't get it so I guess explaining it again is pointless.