Author Topic: REVIEWS: Mario Kart Wii  (Read 32936 times)

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: REVIEWS: Mario Kart Wii
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 12:31:36 AM »
Bah complain MK Wii is the same, but then you don't use the Wheel because it's too hard.  :'( Absurd.

Wheel is great and much less sensitive than Excite Truck.  I get the sense some gamers are snobs and can't learn new tricks.  It's ok if you're not quite as good with the Wheel when you first use it as you are with the analog stick.  It's new and all.  Capeche?

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 12:36:26 AM »
A note about the bikes.  I have a feeling that everyone loves the bikes so much because Nintendo practically gimped the Karts just to give the Bikes some sort of meaning. The control almost identical to the karts but go faster and give you the ability to do wheelies. I wish they weren't introduced at the expense of the karts, considering this game is still called Mario KART.

On the wheel; I personally don't like it, but it still provides all of the functions of every other controller so I don't consider it worse. But when using it, it feels like you are steering a semi rather than a go-kart.

On the Galaxy NSMB comment: I think this just further exposes how Nintendo needs to open up Mario Kart to include the full Nintendo roster. I'd much rather see Nintendo explore other universes in Nintendo IPs than constantly stretching for new material within the Mario universe.

On the whole though, I think the game is decent, but that 7.5 just feels right to me. In order of preference I would say this is my third favorite Mario Kart behind 64 and DS respectively. I couldn't agree more about the game feeling more like a sidestep than a step forward. I see the two major accomplishments of the game being the new tracks and superb online. But the first accomplishment is nothing special because I think most Mario Kart games bring great tracks, so that doesn't really set this one out any further in front of the rest.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 12:54:31 AM »
Bikes are handy for time trial, but in the heat of a tight race they pose no distinct advantage.

And LOL @ the suggestion that there is no galaxy themed tracks, have you played Rainbow Road?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2008, 01:00:33 AM »
I think the game warrants an 8.5 or 8.0 the very least, it has compelling online features the first game in North America to install a channel application to handle online features like friends list, tournament info, online records and all that fun stuff I think that feature is a nice innovation, if Nintendo and the 3rd party crew would allow optional channel installation or run the channel off the disc I'm for it.

And while it offers Wii specific control schemes with the Wii Wheel and Nunchuk+remote controllers and classic schemes with gamecube and Classic Controllers I think the Wii specific controllers win whether it is the Wheel or Nunchuk styles of control since its easier to pull off tricks for precious boost moments.

For me the best thing ever about this game is that they fixed the annoying snaking that alone makes this game amazing. For all the people whining about the rubber band AI and unbalanced items should ask themselves what Mario Kart did have balanced AI or balanced items.

PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2008, 02:08:25 AM »
Uh nope. This is just how Nintendo does Mario Kart. We only learned of Double Dash's existence 5-6 months before it came out too. Have you played it Pap? Jonny is comparing a game he played for 2 hours to ones he probably played for hundreds.

Played it? I thought it was a great game!

But what I mean is that Nintendo's insistence on getting MK Wii out might have killed some potential hype and even developer time.

The earlier karts were released at a time in which nothing else was available and thus the hype was staggering. For example, Mario kart 64 was released near the beginning of the year and it quickly became the game to own, especially since the N64 was experiencing a dry spell.

Super Circuit pretty much became the GBA's poster boy, being one of the first games revealed for the handheld.

Double Dash!! did come out unexpectedly, being announced at E3 then released a few months later, but the game was likely in development for a long time (it WAS kind of unveiled at the GC's very first E3) and once again, was released at a time where Nintendo had no big games for the system.

MK DS also became the DS's main game, and once again, was Nintendo's big killer app for the DS during the fall season.

MK Wii, however, came a month after the hype that was Brawl, another online based multiplayer centric Nintendo title.

The hype for that game was ridiculous, one that was building up since the first teaser was released. MK Wii was just announced and forgotten, since all eyes were on Brawl. Nintendo then made the mistake of finally unveiling new footage and detail just as Brawl's release was getting near.

I know a lot of you were disinterested in MK Wii because all you could think about was Brawl, especially with all the rumors about new characters and such. And when MK Wii was released many were surprised that it had come out.

Sales in Japan, Europe and the US prove that the game could have been released at any time and still be a massive hit, so why was Nintendo so itching to release this NOW when people are still tinkering with Brawl?

If anything, releasing MK Wii on the summer would have...
-Created better awareness and hype for it
-Given Nintendo time to polish the game and add more features
-Given gamers a BIG killer app to look forward to during the dreaded summer dry spell

So to sum all of this, I believe the reason MK Wii is receiving so many lukewarm reactions is because it came out too soon and right after Brawl. A delay would have helped it in many ways.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 02:10:56 AM by pap64 »
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2008, 02:11:55 AM »
Well half the world still hasn't got Brawl yet :P

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2008, 02:15:25 AM »
The control almost identical to the karts but go faster and give you the ability to do wheelies. I wish they weren't introduced at the expense of the karts, considering this game is still called Mario KART.
I think some bikes especially the Mach Bike are completely different to karts. I agree though that karts should be a bit better.
But when using it, it feels like you are steering a semi rather than a go-kart.
Have you been karting before?

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2008, 02:26:16 AM »
Yup, and I feel like this doesn't do the greatest job of emulating that experience. Excite Truck felt much better to me in terms of motion control, and Speed Racer (which I am currently reviewing) also does motion control with the Wii Wheel better than Mario Kart.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2008, 02:45:27 AM »
On the Galaxy NSMB comment: I think this just further exposes how Nintendo needs to open up Mario Kart to include the full Nintendo roster. I'd much rather see Nintendo explore other universes in Nintendo IPs than constantly stretching for new material within the Mario universe.

Yeah Metroid could bring never before seen locales like...  Uhhh... Outer Space, and Fire Levels...  And Zelda would bring...  Death Mountain?  Some kind of Ice Level?  This is a ridiculous idea.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2008, 03:03:55 AM »

Yeah Metroid could bring never before seen locales like...  Uhhh... Outer Space, and Fire Levels...  And Zelda would bring...  Death Mountain?  Some kind of Ice Level?  This is a ridiculous idea.

Well that's an awfully restrictive way of looking at it. There have been countless unique and interesting areas in a variety of Nintendo games that include series other than Metroid/Zelda. But if we want to look at those, how about Hyrule Field or Kakariko Village, and for the Prime games, how about a "best of" level for each Prime game where you are traveling through the various areas seen in each Prime game.

Brawl certainly had no problem coming up with interesting levels and scenarios from many Nintendo games. I don't see how the idea is any more ridiculous than kart racing through the Mario universe.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2008, 03:43:04 AM »
Why can't this game get the Halo treatment, good reviews based off the online mode which is GREAT with single player as secondary? Well at least MK Wii did more then previous iterations than GTAIV (ZING!).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2008, 04:07:43 AM »
words words words. Seriously, this sort of score is nothing new for the series, and a 7.5 doesn't mean you aren't allowed to have fun. Heck, GameSpot gave Mario Kart 64 a 6.4!
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2008, 04:18:45 AM »
You will, however, probably get angry on the rare occasions when you do lose races, as it will almost always be due to item assaults on the final lap, when it's too late for you to recover. 

This is an ontological complaint without much merit, mainly because a lot of the times Mario Kart is won and lost is through the snatching of victory by using an item on a CPU opponents right as he would cross the finish line.  It certainly FEELS frustrating, but how would they win otherwise?

There is a glaringly obvious answer: make the AI pose a real threat.  They don't need to be the god of racing like some of the later levels in F-Zero GX but they don't need to be completely incapable of driving in a straight line either.

The problem with the "you would use it too" argument is that the AI is incapable of getting you in a position where you would need to use it.  Essentially you will almost always be winning the race.  As such, the Blue Shells affect the player disproportionately

Make the AI a good challenge and then you wont need to give out stupid items like the blue shell.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 04:20:25 AM by Crimm »
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2008, 04:30:10 AM »
words words words. Seriously, this sort of score is nothing new for the series, and a 7.5 doesn't mean you aren't allowed to have fun. Heck, GameSpot gave Mario Kart 64 a 6.4!

Well Gamespot is stupid. Regardless I respect Johnny's opinion and think people are getting way too upset and personal with it. I may not agree with his review, but I think he brings up some legitimate points.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2008, 07:49:13 AM »
Personally, adding some giant floating star bits and a minor musical reference to the long-established Rainbow Road theme does not satisfy as an homage to Galaxy, and feels rather token.

I also think James is right about the AI issue - make them capable opponents that we compete with head to head, as opposed to increasing the difficulty by simply ratcheting up the frequency with which we are struck by items activated by distant, unseen opponents. Funnily enough, I think Jonny has played a Mario Kart game before and is very familiar with how the 1player mode has worked in the past, so if he singles it out for being especially frustrating, it isn't just on a whim - it's made in the context of his experience of the series as a whole.

Ultimately, I'm glad to have GP behind me with everythng unlocked and continue to enjoy racing online, which transcends a lot of these issues from 1 player and will provide a lot of fun for a long time. 
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2008, 07:56:14 AM »
By the way the Mega Mushroom is from New SMB. An entire item dedicated to it. Not to mention the millions of Sunshine references. You know, the game NWR gave a 10?

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2008, 07:58:50 AM »
I'm going to shorten and fix this review.

The sixth game in Nintendo's mascot racing series is now available [....]

Final: 10
Mario Kart Wii does deliver

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2008, 10:35:20 AM »
Well MK 64 is the worst in the series, I'd actually say 6.4 is a little generous.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2008, 10:42:07 AM »

The number isn't what people are getting into Jonny about (and I had a good laugh at IGN7.9 all over again) but rather some of the comments in the review.

I'm not going to criticise it, after all it is an opinion piece and should be treated as such. Just a couple of queries:

Why was cooperative play needlessly removed?
Sure, you're not double-dashing (it never sat well with me) but offline multiplayer Grand Prix races can be done in teams (Red Vs Blue) and is great fun because items are safe from "friendly fire". Does that fill the void?

I'm not sure that the Mario Kart gameplay is the best example of something you'd want to do online
Could you elaborate on this? It seems to be the only bad thing you can say about the online experience but I don't really understand the point you are conveying.

EDIT: argh quote tags

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2008, 10:55:44 AM »
No one was asking for motion controls
Well. . . .since the Wii controller was shown, a lot of people wanted motion controls for certain games including Mario Kart.  Can you imagine if they didnt put it in this game?  Reviewers would of torn it to shreds that Nintendo is supposed to be innovating the industry with this console and all they have done is put out their same old games like Smash and Mario Kart and had basic GC controls. 

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2008, 12:43:38 PM »
I won't address every criticism of my criticism; you are all entitled to your opinions.  The review isn't meant to support or attack the view of a game that you have already established after playing it for a week or more.  I hope it is useful for people who don't already have the game and need some help deciding whether to get it.  For many people, my answer would be "yes, go get it!"

Regarding Mario's unnecessary personal attacks, I will answer that I played Mario Kart Wii for fifteen hours before publishing this review, including a couple of hours of online play and a couple of hours of local multiplayer.  I'd have liked more of the latter, but logistics always come into play.  I was contagiously sick most of the week and had two other new Wii games and a new DS game also vying for my attention, not to mention a final exam.  However, Mario Kart was my highest priority throughout, and I am very comfortable with how much time I spent playing it and thinking about it before writing my review.  This insinuation that I only played the game for two hours before reviewing it is highly offensive and frankly ridiculous given my track record at this site.  I suggest you refrain from these ad hominem attacks in the future.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2008, 01:59:06 PM »
Mario Kart is actually my favorite game series of all time and I certainly agree w/ this review.  Though I've had tons of fun with the new iteration and will spend months competing online, there are just too many defects preventing it from a higher score.  That said, you'll love this game if you're a fan of the series while at the same time, wishing they'd applied a bit more polish to the product. 
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2008, 02:05:28 PM »
This is the best game of all time! **** anyone who disagrees.

Also the Wii Wheel is solely reserved for champions. Every day me and Mario go online with the wheel and utterly destroy thumbstick faggots. Counter-steering with the wheel feels so awesome and allows for the kind of careful precision that is impossible with the thumbstick.

The game is not perfect though. Here are the real criticisms
* Funky Kong. No one likes Funky Kong, he's a dickhead and a relic of the dark days of Rareware.
* All the Baby characters, **** these brats. And why invent baby Daisy when baby Wario would be infinitely more hilarious?
* No Donut Plains 4, how are we supposed to separate the men from the boys?

Positives include:
* Rosalina, whom my heart aches for.
* Koopa Cape, the craziest track ever.
* Bikes
* Stunts
* Donkey Kong's successive orgasms
* Pretty much everything except for Funky Kong.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 02:17:52 PM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »
I guess it makes a difference with the whole two items thing.  But I'd argue how much more advanced the drifting is, as well as the trick system and wheelies.  In combination with the choice of motorcycle or kart, I feel like I'm playing Brawl.
Not that I'm debating your statement, but would you care to explain your opinion of the new drifting mechanic? It seems to me that the drifting in Double Dash was more "advanced", as it required you to work the control stick back and forth to build up the desired mini-boost. This led to boosting in many small turns that would be impossible with the new mechanic. I don't foresee any specialized techniques like snaking (like it or not) effectively coming from the new mechanic either.

I don't mind the new mechanic at all. It does still take a little knowhow, since mini-boosts are gained quicker by making sharper drifts. I do sometimes miss being able to quickly wiggle the analog stick in smaller turns however. To be fair though, the wheelies make up for this if you're on a motorcycle. I hate having to make my Mii shorter to use the Mach Bike though! :P

Because instead of just clicking the stick back and forth a couple of times you actually STEER AGAINST the turn to keep yourself from steering too far when drifting and then correct once your ready to straighten out and take of down the straight away.  It's a  lot deeper.  If your not sure what I'm talking about, try out the middle weight racing bikes.

No one was asking for motion controls
Well. . . .since the Wii controller was shown, a lot of people wanted motion controls for certain games including Mario Kart.  Can you imagine if they didnt put it in this game?  Reviewers would of torn it to shreds that Nintendo is supposed to be innovating the industry with this console and all they have done is put out their same old games like Smash and Mario Kart and had basic GC controls. 

QFT.

Comments regarding Wii Wheel

I disagree with your opinion that the Wii Wheel is seen as a handicap by most, if only because you undermined said opinion by saying you get beat by people using the Wii Wheel.  Obviously THEY don't see it as a handicap and use it to achieve victory.  I dunno what the source of the comment is.  Either bitterness over being beaten by somebody more interested in having fun (using Wheel) or being beaten by someone using a control method deemed "less effective."  As Grub stated, it is possible to mount effective and game-winning strategies using it.  It really may be a "wheel that gives more turning"

Once again, these are just functional complaints.  I'm sure when I play the game, I'll find time to agree or disagree more.

I really like the wheel too, I would definitely debate it's accuracy. I've beaten every cup on 150cc and feeling great about the wheel.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 03:27:50 PM by DAaaMan64 »
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2008, 03:36:51 PM »
I've actually been playing with the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo, and I kind of wish that had been the "standard" control, because then they could have done something awesome using the pointer for items.