Author Topic: The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread  (Read 51150 times)

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2008, 09:35:40 AM »
I don't think the DS has plateaued here in the US.  It has it's best year last year and it's best month last month.

Offline ProlificPoet

• View Profile
RE:The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2008, 03:15:40 PM »
As to why there are so few questions, I've tried to submit a question several days now and keep getting errors (timeout, etc.). I'm guessing others are having the same problem as the error report is coming from the server.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
Re: The NWR Mailbag Talkback Thread
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2008, 03:21:27 AM »
The Wii video hardware is simply incapable of outputting an HD signal at an optimal display rate. The best it can muster is 480p at 60hz (or 576p at 50hz for our European friends). While the Wii could technically output at an HD resolution, say 720p, it could only be done at a refresh rate of 40hz.
what what WHAT?
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2008, 11:43:16 AM »
Nintendo published both Banjo games. When Nintendo sold their 49% share of Rare to Microsoft though, part of the agreement was that they also gave up their rights to the Banjo series.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2008, 12:31:22 PM »
I just wanted to say that the Sheik/Young Link screen game from a hacked bunch of screenshots that I stumbled upon some time ago.  It was the best angle of Sheik I had.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2008, 02:48:54 PM »
The Wii video hardware is simply incapable of outputting an HD signal at an optimal display rate. The best it can muster is 480p at 60hz (or 576p at 50hz for our European friends). While the Wii could technically output at an HD resolution, say 720p, it could only be done at a refresh rate of 40hz.
what what WHAT?
The Wii cannot display games at 720p.  It simply cannot.

However, if someone did something like hack the Wii's video chip, it could technically output in 720p.  The Wii can only output 28,800 scan lines per second in progressive mode, though, so it could only do it at 40hz.  That is, 480x60 = 576x50 = 720x40 = 28,800.

Don't get any ideas of homebrew HD Wii games unless someone gets a'hackin', though.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2008, 03:05:31 PM »
Do you say that 28,800 number becuz the Wii was designed to that spec, or becuz it's common to NTSC and PAL traditions?  We know it CAN output that many, but who says that's the hardware's LIMIT?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 03:07:29 PM by NinGurl 69 *huggles »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »
But could you imagine the uproar if Nintendo tried dumbing down parts of Fire Emblem or the next Zelda game to make it easier for your grandmother to play it?

They started 'toning' down Zelda since Wind Waker, and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the next Zelda has accessibility to everyone in mind...

Don't get any ideas of homebrew HD Wii games unless someone gets a 'hackin', though.

The Wii hacking scene has been doing some interesting things already, so again, don't be surprised when someone has at least a proof-of-concept of Wii HD.

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2008, 11:05:15 PM »
what what WHAT?
The Wii cannot display games at 720p.  It simply cannot.

However, if someone did something like hack the Wii's video chip, it could technically output in 720p.  The Wii can only output 28,800 scan lines per second in progressive mode, though, so it could only do it at 40hz.  That is, 480x60 = 576x50 = 720x40 = 28,800.

Don't get any ideas of homebrew HD Wii games unless someone gets a'hackin', though.
The Wii doesn't output in HD because the framebuffer is too small for that (plus some other limitations), which makes it impractical (and practically impossible)

I believe that that 28.800 number is BS however (which is your source for that?)... and let's not forget there are no TVs capable of 40Hz... probably no monitors either.
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »
todays was pretty boring

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2008, 03:12:32 PM »
Well, so was E3, which is what today's mailbag discussed. Here's my question(s):

1) Where are all the good Virtual Console games?

2) What's with the diluge of NeoGeo games lately?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2008, 03:16:32 PM »
1)  They already came out.

2)  With the good games out of the way, Neo Geo has less competition.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
Thatguy wins the MVP award for this round of the mailbag.

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2008, 11:00:40 PM »
that was annoying to read. glad Maxi and D_average shook things up a bit
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2008, 11:36:42 PM »
that was annoying to read. glad Maxi and D_average shook things up a bit

Anytime!
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2008, 01:04:03 AM »
Thatguy wins the MVP award for this round of the mailbag.

Not me.  Someone used my name, and used it in a terribly offensive manner.  I always go by "thatguy" or "thatguyjr."  No spaces, no caps, and those emails weren't from me.  Really.  I'm hurt.  I'd ask for the email address, but I know Windy wouldn't play that game.  For the record, I'm thatguyjr_at_gmailDOTcom.  Hopefully I don't get spammed a lot, but Windy, if you got an email from anything but that address, it wasn't me.

Pale probably did it.

FOUND IT! http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=10772
That's our perpetrator! He's the one we want to kill.  Or...well, he's the one that's almost me.  But he's not!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2008, 03:05:58 PM »
Yes, fine, I screwed up Auto's name. I'M SORRY. In my defense, my editor(s) didn't catch that snafu, either. :-)
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline kage1234

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2008, 03:30:05 PM »
i really don't think "hardcore gamers" are complaining about exciting titles (the conduit, Disaster:DoC, etc.) not being made for the wii, but they're more frustrated w/ the fact that very few of them have a solid release date. it's like they are using their own uncertainty of the release dates as a springboard to just have something to complain about. another thing is the whole chain of rumors that are currently hanging over our heads (Kid Icarus for example) gamers see this stuff posted on websites and automatically think there IS a game like this coming soon. but it is still just a rumor; nothing has yet to be confirmed. people then get mad at developers because they (supposedly) didn't give any info on the game...but how could they? as far as anyone knows, there's nothing even in development. nintendo can only do so much at one time, and they have to make certain decisions about holding back games a couple more months or so. heck, Smash bros brawl was supposed to be a launch title, but it ended up not debuting until almost a year and a half later. but in my eyes that's a good thing (otherwise we wouldn't have solid snake, or sonic) the thing is to be patient

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2008, 05:26:29 PM »
Nintendo still isn't showing me any Wii games that I'm interested in until 2009, which I think is pretty lame.  But if they don't want my money it's their loss, not mine.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2008, 05:54:03 PM »
If you guys don't buy Deadly Creatures I will personally beat you all with a stick.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2008, 07:01:01 PM »
Deady Wha??? ;)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2008, 07:02:54 PM »
If you guys don't buy Deadly Creatures I will personally beat you all with a stick.

Please tell me you're joking.  Said game will be a classic example of decent idea, mediocre implementation.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2008, 07:11:48 PM »

Please tell me you're joking.  Said game will be a classic example of decent idea, mediocre implementation.

I take it you have played it? If not please shut up because those who have say it has lots of potential. Though I'll admit it may not be as cool as FPS "fill in the blank" which you are probably dieing to get. Seriously, this bashing of Wii games especially when impressions have shown promise is getting old and it is quite childish. We get it, you hate Wii and its lineup, but no need to insult my recommendation and a game that has been getting positive impressions.

I'd also throw SPRay in there as a game that could be something to keep an eye out for.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:21:41 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2008, 08:29:39 PM »
I played Monster Lab at PAX and it was awesome!
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2008, 08:34:11 PM »
Interesting, it says on wiki that Billy Bob 'I Love Blood' Thornton and Dennis Hopper are voicing characters in DC. That's pretty cool.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€