Author Topic: No GameCube Support For Wii U  (Read 14813 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: No GameCube Support For Wii U 
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 09:05:31 PM »
Yeah, Sony seems to have taken that approach. They could work on some kind of software BC, but they'd much rather sell you the games again via compilation discs.

The thing about those compilation discs is that they usually contain more than one game, are remastered with higher-resolution textures, and occasionally have the odd extra feature and trophy support to make the compilation worth the $40 or so.  Nintendo would rather sell you one game practically unaltered for a premium price.  I find greater value in the former.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 09:08:10 PM »
Yeah, Sony seems to have taken that approach. They could work on some kind of software BC, but they'd much rather sell you the games again via compilation discs.

The thing about those compilation discs is that they usually contain more than one game, are remastered with higher-resolution textures, and occasionally have the odd extra feature and trophy support to make the compilation worth the $40 or so.  Nintendo would rather sell you one game practically unaltered for a premium price.  I find greater value in the former.

But to be fair, Nintendo games are usually better than Sony's games.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 09:11:59 PM »

But to be fair, Nintendo games are usually better than Sony's games.

With certainly some exceptions.  I'll put the Sly Collection up there with anything Nintendo would re-release any day of the week.  And if the Sands of Time HD port wasn't remastered so sloppily (thanks, Ubisoft), I'd put the Prince of Persia Trilogy Collection up there as well.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:17:29 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 09:53:19 PM »
Wow, being able to play my GameCube games would have been a major factor in deciding whether or not to buy this thing.  Looks like I'm skipping yet another generation of Nintendo consoles.

If the ability to play games from a two-generations-old console is a "deciding" factor, why would you even consider getting a new system in the first place? Clearly you have no interest in modern games, so why would you even think about it?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 11:14:35 PM »
I'm okay with this. I rarely used the Wii to play Gamecube games. Whenever I even played Gamecube games, I dusted off the old Gamecube.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 11:29:33 PM »
I still have a GC, so I don't give a ****.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 11:45:53 PM »
<hugs his GameCube>

It's OK, little buddy.  We don't need them.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2011, 12:14:48 AM »
Jon's GameCube is still in its original packaging. He intends to open it and start playing all the games he bought for it after he finishes Chrono Trigger.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2011, 12:33:54 AM »
No Jon's next mission is Chrono Cross!
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2011, 12:42:28 AM »
Not really a big deal.  I welcome the availability of Gamecube titles as a future addition to virtual console.
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2011, 12:49:18 AM »
This isn't a big deal because I don't think my GC can die honestly. It'll probably out live me. It's been dropped, burned, kicked, smashed, thrown, rained on....Still works perfectly.

The things a trooper.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 08:41:41 AM »
...burned?

You monster.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 12:14:02 PM »
Hey...blame the 6' cords. Smoking hookah and playing GC shouldn't be difficult.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
Well this follows the convention of the 3DS.  No GBC support for the DS.  No GBA support for the 3DS.  They always cut out the oldest one.  I guess having it go back as far as possible is better but it is not that big of a deal.

Want to continue to play Gamecube games?  I'm assuming you own a Wii, right?  Well HANG ON TO IT.  Problem solved.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »
For once I am going to agree with Ian. I think people that want to be able to play gamecube games will just hang on to their systems if Gamecube support is important to them. I have gotten rid of past systems in the past for the newest systems and have regreted it. I still have my GBA SP and DS Lite for compatability for past games for the handhelds. It just makes sense.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2011, 03:33:58 PM »
I'd get rid of the Wii and get a GameCube.  Game Boy Player ftw.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2011, 03:37:09 PM »
My problem is finding all the parts of my GameCube.  I just don't know where my Component Cables, Power Supply, Composite Cables, VGA Connector, and Battery pack are at the moment.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2011, 03:39:10 PM »
That's because you're a bastard who unhooked your GameCube and left it to rot.

So many uncaring, heartless people here...  I'm gonna go hug all of my GameCubes now.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2011, 03:42:08 PM »
That's because you're a bastard who unhooked your GameCube and left it to rot.

So many uncaring, heartless people here...  I'm gonna go hug all of my GameCubes now.
It had to be done.  Was running out of room.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »
I'd get rid of the Wii and get a GameCube.  Game Boy Player ftw.

Yeah, there are some Gamecube peripherals which are not compatible with the Wii. The Gameboy Player is of course one of them. As is the LAN adapter and modem and so on. Another funny thing is you can't get DVD playback on the Wii, but you actually can get a version of the Gamecube which supports it.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 03:55:33 PM »
hmmm, no gamecube support.... Buy a Wii..they'll be dirt cheap by then. In fact Gamecubes price will go up in second hand stores because its an antique.
If dropping backward compatability to gamecube somehow meant I get a power advantage without a price hike then count me in. Count me in anyways, I still have All Nintendo Systems except Super Nintendo, and I wish I had a Super Nintendo. I also have all Sega Systems except Master System, which I might be able to nab off my cousin....or maybe not! Maybe he'll fiercely guard it. I'd want all Nintendo handhelds, but theres alot of variations.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:05:16 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2011, 03:57:53 PM »
You know my brother got me a SNES, which I actually haven't used, but we can't find the N64 and then I too would have all them. (But not every revision).

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2011, 05:51:35 PM »
I recently was gifted two original Gameboys.  I gave away my GBC so that no longer is here.  But I have every other system minus the VB.

This isn't a big deal.  It may force me to hook the GCN back up to the tv.  I'm glad I have one that can use the component cables. :)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 06:06:53 PM »
I lost my Link cable, or it was stolen...one of the two. I dont have much in the way of Nintendo handhelds post gba, i do have virtual boy..which we cannot call a handheld.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2011, 06:19:24 PM »
I will gladly buy every Gamecube game on Virtual Console.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.