Author Topic: Taco vs. XL: A Visual Comparison  (Read 5579 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Taco vs. XL: A Visual Comparison
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »

Will it mix?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/31262

In order to better differentiate the two 3DS units available now, I've used my Kung Fu-like grip on the English language to coin a new moniker for the original, or "launch" 3DS unit: the 3DS Taco, named for its unique (read: hideous) three-tier hardware design. So that's what we're calling it from now on, okay? Taco? Are there any questions? Yes, you in the back. No, this is not Advanced Economics Theory; that's down the hall on the right. Anyway, the important thing here is that the 3DS XL just came out, and you've all been thirsting for one of my patented poorly-rendered photo essays coupled with condescending commentary. This, ladies and gentlemen, is a comparison between the 3DS Taco and the 3DS XL. Welcome.

That's the Taco on the left. Photos, by themselves, cannot adequately convey the sheer breadth of the new device. Site Director Neal Ronaghan was here for the unboxing and we both basically pooped our pants. Perhaps the nicest thing about the XL (for OCD victims like myself) is that its interior has a matte finish, which dissuades fingerprint smudges, which are THE BANE OF MY EXISTENCE.

The Taco is larger in one aspect than its replacement: height! Hilariously, the clamshell design of the Taco is just a bit taller than the XL. Still too short to ride Splash Mountain, though.

Exposing unshielded eyes to the heavenly glow of the XL screen would cause eye damage in children younger than seven. I have thus kept them off for now. Note that the screens are approximately 90% larger on the XL. Again, it's a difference that's FAR more obvious in person.

The XL has three levels of "click" to the top screen. The first stopping point is at about 90 degrees. The Taco does not click at this angle, and in fact fights the unyielding pull of gravity instead.

The next click down for the XL is the first click down for the Taco. The angles of attack are roughly the same. The next click down is "flat," which nobody ever uses, and why should they? Maybe if somebody develops a Backgammon game for two players on the same machine? The mind boggles with limitless potential.

Four-eyes.

The XL in left lateral view. Notice how thin the upper half is. Without the clamshell design, you can actually see light through it.

The XL in right lateral view, again emphasizing how freaking thin the upper half is.

The backside of the XL, featuring re-engineered shoulder buttons. Yes, they ARE far superior!

I can feel your indifference toward the Taco increasing with every subsequent photograph. I'm reminded of that great line in "Men in Black 2" (perhaps the film's highlight, in fact) where Will Smith says to Tommy Lee Jones, "Old and busted," then, regarding himself, "new hotness." Couldn't agree more, K.

One of the few downgrades of the XL: the stylus is more like that of a DS system. It doesn't extend, it's not metallic, and it slides in the side of the system instead of the back.

The other downgrade: the SD slot's drawer (door?) isn't as flexible as that of the Taco, and the SD card sits really far down in there, so you'd better have some fingernails.

See? This is bullshit!

By comparison, the Taco's SD card door (drawer?) is more flexible and doesn't jam into the chassis so much. Far superior.

Hide your children! IT HAS AWAKENED. I'd do a comparison with the Taco, but the Taco went back its factory settings after the system transfer and I don't want to redo all the settings. But who cares? I guarantee this is incredible.

VC games actually seem to be larger, in their native resolution, than on the Taco. There is no difference in quality, though. I did notice a strange graphical artifact (vertical black lines) in Wario Land's final level, though. Neal can confirm this.

Different Circle Pads, kids. That of the XL has more abbreviated sides, is a bit deeper, and is a bit more resistant than the Taco's Circle Pad, too. I guess that could be its newness.

Yeah, the face buttons are basically the same.

The improved 3D slider, which no longer tilts in a light breeze, must actually be clicked on and off, so you will no longer activate the 3D while the system is sitting in your pocket in sleep mode.

Obviously, I won't be needing this Circle Pad Pro anymore. I understand a new version is in development, which I'll need if I'm ever going to beat (or play, period) Kid Icarus: Uprising.

OH MY GOD IT STILL WORKS. As impressive as the XL is sitting on a table, its illuminating glory is only increased exponentially by displaying it on a stand FOR THE WORLD TO SEE.

HILARIOUS ASSOCIATIONS! The PS Vita WISHES it had a second screen right? Incidentally, notice that the Vita's screen is about the same size as the XL's top screen. No small feat. #seewhatIdidthere

But still has a bigger screen than the XL's bottom screen. But not by much. By the way, did you know that if you cut Alaska in half, Texas becomes the THIRD-largest state? I like reminding Texans of that fact.

In case you were wondering how a 3DS XL stacked up against a GBA SP, PS Vita, and PSP, well, it's your lucky day. Bottom line? Impressively.

Here's one you don't often see. The PS Vita up against a PSP-3000. They look shockingly similar, as though the PSP-3000 evolved at level 20 or something.

And this is the 3DS XL up against my much-loved DSi. The form factors are quite similar: rounded edges, matte finish, a camera.

Button placement, screen size discrepancy, speaker placement, the mere presence of a Home button, placement of the Power button, you see what I'm saying.

I hope you all enjoyed that little scientific comparison. The XL is a really wonderful piece of hardware and you should totally look for my full review soon, after I've put the thing through its paces. I'm just waiting for that SD card drawer (door?) to snap right off. I also need to somehow transfer all my Swapnote "extra content" (which means stationary, I think) to the system memory from that 2 gig SD card. At any rate, that was fun! You should all buy a 3DS XL.

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Taco vs. XL: A Visual Comparison
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 09:58:26 PM »
So is swap note the only stuff that doesn't transfer?

I got almost all the street pass hats and all panels complete (except new kirby one), no way I 'll start that again.

How do Ambassador games look on it?

How pocket friendly/not friendly is it?

How do 3D pictures taken on 3ds look on XL? 3D on XL?
Do those pictures transfer?

No Green 3D light?
How is speakers? Louder?
Control pad and buttons feel different/better?

How does Netflix/Nintendo Video look on it? Colors 3D ?

DSiware games are they stretched or look good?

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:09:54 PM »
So is swap note the only stuff that doesn't transfer?

Yup.

I got almost all the street pass hats and all panels complete (except new kirby one), no way I 'll start that again.

Don't have to--all your Streetpass Plaza stuff comes across.

How do Ambassador games look on it?

Just fine. No difference, especially in native resolution.

How pocket friendly/not friendly is it?

It fits in my pocket, but it's heavy.

How do 3D pictures taken on 3ds look on XL? 3D on XL? Do those pictures transfer?

They do transfer, and I think they look a little worse on the XL. The 3D effect is stronger, just like in games.

No Green 3D light?

Nope.

How is speakers? Louder?

Maybe a little quieter.

Control pad and buttons feel different/better?

D-pad feels better. Face buttons feel the same. Shoulder buttons feel better.

How does Netflix/Nintendo Video look on it? Colors 3D?

I deleted both video applications a long time ago. Colors 3D looks great.

DSiware games are they stretched or look good?

They look great in native resolution, not as bad as you'd think stretched out.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 10:34:28 PM »
Still have my original DS. Will still have my original 3DS. I think people who fawn over larger, "better" versions of handhelds are kinda silly, but I don't mean that to be insulting in any way. The original 3DS isn't an eyesore by any means, and its form is still really nice.

Plus, matte looks and feels cheap to me... :P
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 10:50:43 PM »
Thanx for all the quick answers zach.

Is it true once you see xl screens you don't want to go back?

Can you fit the stylus from 3ds into the xl stylus hole?

Do game cartridges jump out as easily at it did on 3DS? My 3DS seemed to eject carts really easily and often in my pocket without prompting.

I'll send you new stationary tell me if it works ok

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:17:44 PM »
I was promised tacos, I leave disappointed.

Offline Vahne

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 11:08:56 AM »
XL is finally starting to look less and less ugly to me, probably because of the red. I still think the old model is way more attractive though, especially with those special editions.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 11:29:05 AM »
Zach I'm going to have to correct you on something.  In MiB 2 Will Smith is referring to the Cars.  It was all during the speech on why K isn't driving.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 11:30:21 AM »
I'm so glad to hear the shoulder buttons are better especially after you expressed early reservations.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 11:14:43 PM »
Why no DSi XL vs. 3DS XL picture comparison?
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 02:24:19 AM »
Don't have one.

Offline dave.rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 02:49:39 AM »
what about the mic position?