Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1200349 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #1800 on: December 07, 2011, 12:12:22 AM »
Curb Your Enthusiasm s4e1

To put it mildly, I looooove this show. I saw the first four seasons a few years ago as they were coming out on DVD but I had forgotten just how awesome it is. It might take you a while to get past some of the awkward/painful moments of the show, but once you do and accept Larry for the wonderful bastard that he is, it's gravy. I've rewatched the first 31 episodes and every one of them has been awesome. I want to be Larry David when I grow up.

unfortunately, I think I already am, but the difference.... Im broke.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: December 07, 2011, 02:37:45 AM »
Larry David is the man, but he's an idiot. So many situations could be avoided if he simply had the foresight to see them. But that's the point of the show.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1802 on: December 07, 2011, 09:57:49 AM »
Seasons 6 and 7 of CYE are both great. I hear 8 is great as well, haven't seen it though.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1803 on: December 08, 2011, 01:27:19 AM »
I have recently gotten into The Vampire Diaries. I had no interest in the show because is a CW show, but my girlfriend made me give it a shot an I am glad she did. The show is really good, the vampires are pretty bad ass (not Twilight non-sense), and interesting storylines. I finished catching up with the most recent episode, it returns in January and the mid-season finale had Stefan telling Klaus that he had the bodies of Klaus's family (Klaus is on of the original vampires, but his mother had had an affair with a werewolf and resulted in him being a wolf/vampire hybrid).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:10:31 AM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: December 08, 2011, 01:53:00 AM »
*spoilers*?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1805 on: December 08, 2011, 02:09:40 AM »
Can it really be considered a spoiler? The episode aired almost a month ago. Shouldn't the statute of limitations on spoilers expire several weeks after a TV episode has aired?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: December 08, 2011, 02:11:11 AM »
Can it really be considered a spoiler? The episode aired almost a month ago. Shouldn't the statute of limitations on spoilers expire several weeks after a TV episode has aired?

Considering the tendency, especially here, for people to catch up on shows via torrents; Netflix; and whatnot, I tend to er on the side of caution when it comes to spoilers just to be safe.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1807 on: December 08, 2011, 02:15:30 AM »
I think something is fair game once it airs. However, I have decided to put part of my post in spoiler brackets. With TV shows, movies, and video games, there has to be a point where something is not considered a spoiler anymore. For example, saying that Maggie Simpson shot Mr. Burns is fine now, or that Aeris dies in Final Fantasy VII.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: December 08, 2011, 02:47:03 AM »
Yes, but you are rating a show that you admit you are playing catch up on yourself.

Had I already seen VD and decided to detail some of the finer plot points before you got a chance to get into the show, then you might not appreciate that.

It's not like we are talking classic stuff that everyone knows, like Vader is Luke's father, so it should be possible for you to talk about the show without actually telling the details about what is happening, and if you must... spoiler brackets are much appreciated.

Vampire Diaries is on my list of shows to watch at some point, and now that you've confirmed that it is no Twilight bastardization of the genre, I will probably get to it sooner rather than later.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: December 08, 2011, 03:45:29 AM »
Is it me or is the general rise of vampires and werewolves caused the sudden death of anything else scifi (Stargate Universe, Caprica both cancelled, Fringe is struggling etc)?

And going back to my Family Guy dislike this season: I got half way through last week's episode and stopped. The fact that they can't even set up the story of WHY they were put into prison correctly, including directly ignoring that Joe (a police officer!!!!) has his badge thrown away and their car headlights smashed in by another police officer, but does nothing to report it and calls the trial a fix. What happened to laywers?

If this increasing flop of a show ain't going to make an effort then i'll just stop watching at the end of the season.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: December 08, 2011, 03:50:02 AM »
I haven't seen a single episode this season.
Not of FG, AD or TCS.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: December 08, 2011, 08:18:54 AM »
If in doubt, just spoiler it.

This is a fairly international forum with people from all over the world and some are months, seasons and sometimes years behind. Sure some people could torrent them etc, but between data/speed caps, no doubt the incessant bitching from TJ Spyke over PIRACY!!!!?!?!, it might not always an option for whatever reason.

So yeah, a "Month" is very well within spoiler zone. Hell, significant plot points from old shows are spoiler territory if the show is a bit obscure or someone has stated they are catching up on it. It's not hard to spoiler something. Just do it out of common courtesy.

I asked for it quite a while ago, but never got an answer as to whether a spoiler button could be added to the tool bar.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: December 08, 2011, 09:36:50 AM »
I have to agree with the spoilers talk now.  Since Netflix and Hulu a lot of us our playing catch up more than we use to.  Especially using the recommendations here.

I tend to go be the general rule of:

1. Common Knowledge- Its just been known for so long that even before I watched the show I had known it.  Bruce Wayne is Batman. Optimus Prime Dies.
2. Core Part of the Shows Concept- I wouldn't spoiler out the Walking Dead has Zombies or that Captian Marvel is really a little boy.

Things I would spoiler ... I can't think of anything off the top of my head right now.  I think that because I haven't really been watching much lately.  Wait I thought of one.  In Transformers Animated Sari Sumdac is a very advanced Autobot.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: December 08, 2011, 10:38:04 AM »
I haven't seen a single episode this season.
Not of FG, AD or TCS.

Skip the other two, just watch AD. It's been hitting its stride this season with a string of great episodes.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: December 08, 2011, 01:26:37 PM »
I've been catching up on some shows.
Stargate Universe's ending was a bit lackluster. If they could just have one more season to decently finish it off.
I almost finished with Supernatural's season 6. I'm glad the show started to go back to normal i.e. Sam got his soul back, and now they could focus on just being who they are. I took a glimpse at the ending of season 6 and hot diggity damn are the Winchesters in for a ride. Of course I know season 7 is running, but hey it's still an epic situation.
Primeval, season 5. I'm still enjoying this series despite my favorite character not being in it since he got killed off, but it's still fun to watch.
Dexter's latest season has been good I think, I liked the recent twist.
Boardwalk Empire has been stale as of late I think, but it's somewhat enjoyable to watch.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: December 08, 2011, 03:47:03 PM »
I finished BSG yesterday....

"How did you do that so quickly!?"

I'm a FRACKIN' CYLON. I don't need no frackin' sleep.

S1 - Good, really pulled me into the show. Sense of near hopelessness of the situation yet they all hold onto the belief that there is an Earth out there (well, most of them anyway).
Tricia Helfer (Blonde Cylon) is was not that attractive to me, but they just keep prancing her around sometimes fully naked... she started to grow on me... well, something started to grow on me, but enough about that.
 :) :P: :cool;

s2 - Another good season... minus the slight shift to inter politics.
I have to say that Kara Thrace (Hot Shot female pilot "Star Buck") was actually kinda attractive herself once she started to grow her hair out. The boy cut was not doing her any favors. The longer her hair, the prettier she was. And Boomer would get it.
 :D ;D :confused;

But back to the show.... I seriously don't see why more people didn't think that Gias Baltar was a nut case. I know some thought he was odd since he is often looking off in random directions, but they often caught him having conversations and interacting with no one. He even got caught humping a FRACKIN' table!!

and WHAT THE FRAK is up with the self censorship? FRAK THIS!! NO. FRAK YOU!!!

s3 - This one started off alright, but the dynamic of the show changes somewhere around the middle. If I had to wait a week between episodes and months inbetween seasons, I might've quit somewhere in the middle of s3. But I was watching on Netflix and powering though 4-6 episodes a night, knocking out a season in a few days time, so it was easy to overlook some of the things that may have turned a bunch of people off to the show at that point.
so I figured I would just see it though to the end since I've come this far....
 :confused; :-\ :(

s4 - What The FRAK is going on now!? Now I'm not exactly sure where one season ended and the next one started, but all things aside... I think this is truly were things have just gotten stupid. back from the dead... harbinger of death who is actually already dead but is there to lead you to the true earth?. It's a good thing this is the last season.

But after it was all said and done, I enjoyed the show. "It's all happened before and will all happen again." and the message at the end about humanity's pursuit of technology ultimately being it's undoing tied in nicely with the overall message of the show.
 :Q :-\ :)

Overall - 3.25/5

I've also started Caprica....
more on that some other day.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:10:27 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: December 08, 2011, 04:03:37 PM »
What no Faces?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: December 08, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »
Well, Black, I did warn you to turn back before the end of Season 3.  Now you endured the spiral of awfulness that that show became just as we did.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: December 08, 2011, 11:12:51 PM »
I have seen the pilot to Caprica. It wastes absolutely no time going from zero to season 4 awful in 10 minutes. The whole thing is pointlessly irrelevant and pretentious especially when you know that A. Everything gets nuked. B. They rip open the same packet of instant philosophy. C. The underlying "Culture" and world that is BSG is no near deep enough to support drama only.

Torchwood Miracle day might have spent too much time building a world that already exists, but the fun has always been seeing the subtle differences between theirs and ours. Caprica has the subtlety and the impact of a foam bat with frack and pointless use of polytheism. BSG before it crashed and burned, worked quite well with it's weird paper because the underlying culture was quick an easy to understand since it was contained. Everybody are on ships and they have to deal with each other. Sure they invoke the Gods here and there, but the end of that day they still had to confront the problem with fairly normal human manner.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: December 08, 2011, 11:53:12 PM »
I have seen the pilot to Caprica. It wastes absolutely no time going from zero to season 4 awful in 10 minutes. The whole thing is pointlessly irrelevant and pretentious especially when you know that A. Everything gets nuked. B. They rip open the same packet of instant philosophy. C. The underlying "Culture" and world that is BSG is no near deep enough to support drama only.

Torchwood Miracle day might have spent too much time building a world that already exists, but the fun has always been seeing the subtle differences between theirs and ours. Caprica has the subtlety and the impact of a foam bat with frack and pointless use of polytheism. BSG before it crashed and burned, worked quite well with it's weird paper because the underlying culture was quick an easy to understand since it was contained. Everybody are on ships and they have to deal with each other. Sure they invoke the Gods here and there, but the end of that day they still had to confront the problem with fairly normal human manner.

I also thought the progress of technology depicted in Caprica made absolutely no sense, less even than the glimpses we see of it in Battlestar.  They have paper that can connect to a holographic internet, but they still use 1950s-style cars and a fairly standard subway-style mass transit system.  They can travel the stars, but they still use guns with bullets and knives.  It just makes no sense.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: December 09, 2011, 01:11:59 PM »
Torchwood Miracle day really could have benefitted from having 1 or 2 typical Torchwood alien episodes in there to break up what was essentially a SUPER long Torchwood episodes.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: December 10, 2011, 03:26:29 AM »
i can see the cars thing, 1950s cars have good style, they are retro.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1822 on: December 10, 2011, 06:25:46 PM »
Just started watching Community.

Dude. It's so awesome.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: December 10, 2011, 06:28:56 PM »
Can I spoil you with gifs from the latest episode?

sample:
http://i.imgur.com/0vSUt.gif
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:37:44 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: December 10, 2011, 06:32:19 PM »
Please don't, as I haven't gotten around to watching any of the episodes from the current season yet.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent