Author Topic: RealTriggers for DualShock 3  (Read 7656 times)

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RealTriggers for DualShock 3
« on: January 30, 2009, 01:25:18 PM »
Sony has a tendency to add new features to their DualShock controller without giving comfort a whole lot of thought.  The most familiar example to most people is the non-primary position of the left analog stick, but the DualShock 3 (and Sixaxis) have analog triggers that give the stick a run for its money.  They have convex button style faces, but they move like triggers, i.e. they pivot.  This leads to what should have been an obvious problem during the design phase.  While I won't go so far as to say that my fingers easily slip off the triggers when I pull them, I will say that the things feel terribly wrong.

I stumbled across the RealTriggers while ordering a game on Amazon.  I saw that they were well reviewed, if only by a few people in total, and dirt cheap, so I casually tacked them onto my order much as I imagine Sony tacked the analog triggers to the controller in the first place.  The package included two of the trigger covers and "instructions" printed in the font used to put the little letter 'D's on pennies.  It's just one sentence, and it's vague enough that you'll have to puzzle out how to attach the things from the picture anyway.  Thankfully, it's easy enough.

The trigger covers cleverly snap into place over the original buttons with no adhesive required, and they hold on more than well enough to stay in place during gameplay.  They can stand up to a very hard squeeze without slipping, in fact, but they can be removed simply by pulling them off with your fingers.  Not that you'd ever want to remove them, unless you have a charging stand that covers the triggers for some reason.  No, they do their job perfectly.  The shape makes a nice resting place for your fingers, and they keep your fingers in place when you pull on them.  They don't interfere with the trigger movement in the slightest, either, which was my biggest concern.  They even blend in well enough to look like they were always part of the controller.

Overall, I recommend them wholeheartedly.  I'd give them five silly pictures out of five, if I had any silly pictures.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: RealTriggers for DualShock 3
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 01:59:41 PM »
The package included two of the trigger covers and "instructions" printed in the font used to put the little letter 'D's on pennies.

I prefer the Ps, myself. ;)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 02:08:05 AM »
That's a brilliant product.  If/when I get a PS3 ($300 or bust), I'll definitely pick up a set.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 02:25:40 AM »
Good lookin' out, UPB.  Picked up a set for my DualShock 3.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 07:07:53 PM »
These are awesome, BTW.  No idea why Sony didn't shape the controller buttons like this.  I had no problems with the originals, but these are so much better.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 08:49:06 PM »
These are wayyy better
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.