Author Topic: Nintendo Wii Battery Report  (Read 4588 times)

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Nintendo Wii Battery Report
« on: November 26, 2006, 08:05:07 AM »
Ok So its been only one week and my Wii remotes batteries have already died.  THIS SUCKS!

I know I played quit a bit but I thought I would get more than a meesely week out of these things.

SO if I am going to be buying 2 double AA bateries every friggin week PS3 IS turining out to be the cheaper system.

Has anyone tried using rechargables? I knwo the manual and everything else says not to but is it safe to use these? I sure hope they make a rechargabel battery pack soon cuz this bytes.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo Wii Battery Report
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 08:08:01 AM »
If you played the Wavebird for two weeks straight you'd probably find the same thing and it doesn't do nearly as much as the Wiimote. Just buy the rechargeable, every electronic system says not to use them but they never hurt anything.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
RE:Nintendo Wii Battery Report
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 08:09:52 AM »
I knoew the 360 didnt last for very long my friend is constanly recharging his. I guess I am going to get rechargables as long as it doest void the warrenty or anything. But still if i get mroe remotes that means more batteries. I hadnbt even thought of that till now.  
You can call me

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 08:37:28 AM »
Why the hell does the manual say not to use rechargables? That's retarded.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 08:38:16 AM »
You ask as if rechargables are wholly without precedent, a new questionable technology with unproven merits.

Yeah, get rechargables. They work fine.  
"wow."

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 08:41:42 AM »
you could have gone to your message board and calculated your playtime... that would have been more useful.  I'm still on my original set from launch and they have full charge in all of them.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 08:50:17 AM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo

Agreed.

I just grabbed a bunch of Rayovacs and I can't wait to start using these instead of the current alkalines.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 09:49:02 AM »
In 8 days I went through the 4 batteries that I got from Nintendo, 2 inside console package and the other 2 from an extra remote I bought, luckily I had thought in advance and I had bought a charger with 10 rechargeable NiMH 2500 batteries.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 09:52:33 AM »

They want you to support capitalism by buying new batteries every week.

THAT'S why...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 10:30:03 AM »
Yep, I was wondering when other ppl would come to this conclusion. I got a pack of 40 AAs for about $8 (yet another slickdeal), and I'm trying to get a hold of NiMH AA chargers and batteries, but I don't know where to get those from.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 11:23:35 AM »
Between me and my friends, I've gone through the batteries 2 and a half times at least, on all four of my remotes.  Needless to say, it's been a hit around my house and my friends.

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 12:13:54 PM »
I've replaced all of the batteries in the house with rechargables.  You get more to each charge, and recharging nowadays takes less than an hour.

I'll never touch an alkaline battery again.

Offline MANTI5

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 12:18:24 PM »
Used up the ones that came packed in then went to rechargeables, no problem.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 12:38:03 PM »
Methinks its the rumble.  Just going around the menu the controller rumbles quiet a bit when going over buttons and like.  So it used quiet a bit.  The annoying part is that I really like the controller gloves and there annoying to move up to get to the compartment.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 03:18:09 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
In 8 days I went through the 4 batteries that I got from Nintendo, 2 inside console package and the other 2 from an extra remote I bought, luckily I had thought in advance and I had bought a charger with 10 rechargeable NiMH 2500 batteries.

Exactly what I did to a T. Rechargeables are really the only way to go. But I do agree with Ceric those damn Controller Gloves are a real pain in the ass to take off and as a result make swapping batteries extremely frustrating.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline D_MaN87

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 03:30:05 PM »
My batteries (original) died within 4 days.  That is at 7-8 hours turned on (not only me but friends and family) a day.  Id say that aint too bad.  I can imagine duracell or energizer lasting even longer.  But yeah rechargable are the way to go.  At the wii event here in toronto they were giving out flyers for these new panasonic rechargable batteries.  If NINTENDO was promoting these, then they cant be bad for the wii.
Wii Number: 1080 3358 2033 2880
FF3 Number: 2620 7985 5351
Diddy Kong Racing DS: 0688 1563 4718

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 04:10:49 PM »
With the controller gloves... can you not just cut out a portion of the rubber where the battery lid cover is? If you like the extra grip the rubber gives you.. you could just use double sided tape or some other kind of adhesive to stick the rubber to the battery lid, yet allow you to switch the batteries easy.  
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 04:54:53 PM »
Mine died too yesterday.  5 days or so of heavy use.  I'll see how long this fresh pair lasts before passing judgement.  I will get rechargeables  soon.  Actually I probably take 'em out of my wavebirds.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 04:58:26 PM »

At the wii event here in toronto they were giving out flyers for these new panasonic rechargable batteries. If NINTENDO was promoting these, then they cant be bad for the wii.
Didn't Panasonic batteries come with the Wavebird?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 05:12:48 PM »
Nintendo usually partners with Panasonic and sharp in Japan so thats why you will see Panasonic batteries as the pack in batteries. The reason why the manual says don't use rechargeables because the olders ones(7 - 10 years ago) used to leak battery acid if they were too hot or if you recharged them longer when you werent supposed to but now that issue is gone.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 05:15:13 PM »
I have 5 Wiimotes and two see heavy use each day. So my brother and I both bought 8 rechargables.

The problem with rechargable batteries are if you get bad ones they have tendency of leaking, starting fires, or exploding. (Just ask Sony how bad, bad recharables can be. ;P ) Nintendo is just covering themselves from liablity if someone bought bad recharables and something happened they then couldn't go an sue Nintendo. Now a days a simple cup of hot coffee comes with a warning. (This also goes to help prove that the average intellengence of society as a whole is dropping rapidly.)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 05:48:37 PM »
Well thanks that helps a lot. I got some new regular battweries today form work cuz I have a charge acocunt but when i get the money agian Imma get some rechargeables for sure. thats what I have in my ten year old Nomad and they work fine.  
You can call me

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2006, 07:21:04 PM »
I have Panasonics for my wavebird and bluetooth mouse. They last a long time and charge quickly. Plus they cost just $17 CDN for four w/ charger.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 04:52:56 AM »

I can only assume that's a CYA thing.  If you misuse rechargeable batteries and ruin your remote, Nintendo can say you voided your warranty.  The good news is the way the console handles dead batteries during a game.  It froze everything while I replaced them, then just picked up right where it left off.  I never have to worry about losing a game over it.

My first batteries lasted more than thirty hours according to my gameplay stats, and that doesn't include time spent on the menu tweaking settings and registering Wii numbers.