Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167823 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #7800 on: November 20, 2012, 05:36:09 PM »
So Metro Last Light isn't coming to the Wii U because the developer claims the console's CPU is "horrible and slow".

How could Nintendo build a console that's technically weaker than 6-year-old machines? It's impossible.

Source: GoNintendo
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: November 20, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »
Here's the link.

Sounds more like 4A Games can't be bothered to optimize their code. New hardware takes time to learn the ins and outs of. If you put in a half-assed effort, you get half-assed results. Launch ports of PS3/360 titles hold up pretty well, but they're still launch titles handled by smaller teams.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: November 20, 2012, 06:01:51 PM »
THQ is on the verge of going out of business, they can't afford to port Metro Last Light to the Wii U. This is a handy excuse.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: November 21, 2012, 01:33:38 AM »
How could Nintendo build a console that's technically weaker than 6-year-old machines? It's impossible.
I can totally believe that.

Nintendo is cheap, lazy and dumb sometimes.

Still hyped for european launch, my august pre-order is ready
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: November 21, 2012, 01:44:22 AM »
We've known the CPU was slower for a long time now. Wii U just isn't as CPU reliant as past consoles. According to developers it is capable of creating better visuals the the PS360. That's all that anyone is going to care about in the end.

Worry about the U's graphics when the PS420 come out.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: November 21, 2012, 02:45:05 AM »
But how can the Wii U's more modern CPU be slower than the 6-year-old Xbox 360's? Did Nintendo tell IBM to deliberately design an outdated chip?

Slower than the PS3 I can understand, because that thing was (and in some cases, still is) way ahead of its time.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: November 21, 2012, 03:10:47 AM »
supposedly the clock-speed is lower, but it's designed to offload work to the DSP & GPU so maybe Nintendo figured that it didn't need to be as beefy as it could've been.

Nintendo loves to optimize hardware towards optimal performance over raw power, so I'm sure on paper somewhere, they have their reasons.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: November 21, 2012, 03:16:43 AM »
supposedly the clock-speed is lower, but it's designed to offload work to the DSP & GPU so maybe Nintendo figured that it didn't need to be as beefy as it could've been.

Nintendo loves to optimize hardware towards optimal performance over raw power, so I'm sure on paper somewhere, they have their reasons.

I still think it can kick ass and chew gum at the same time! And unfortunately it'll all out of gum :D

Soon BnM I'll have my Wii U, I want to add you and the regs here, it'll be a blast. Still haven't decide on what to get for Christmas, I'm leaning on Super Mario Bros. U, not sure what else. Any games coming in December worth looking at? eShop sounds like it's hitting off well, Trine 2: Directors Cut and Mighty Hyper switch force HD look fun and Nano assault.

Also looking at getting Hori screen protector for the gamepad, is Hori's easy and simple to apply then most? I want an easy and clean and bubbleless process as possible lol.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 03:18:42 AM by MysticGohan »
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: November 21, 2012, 08:43:56 AM »
Best Skins Ever (not pr0n) has awesome screen protectors and are easy to apply. They're pretty cheap too. Not sure they have one for the Wii U GamePad yet.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: November 21, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »
For some reason nintendo was concerned with low watts & form factor so the CPU/Memory/GPU is very much underclock.  Most of the time the WII U is running less than 40 watts (think the average is 30 in most games) which is 1/4 or 1/3 what MS or Sony are running at.

As for using GPGPU, Metro's team is one of the first ones to use those features (Metro 2033 was one of the first DX11 games).  There's still plenty of stuff the CPU handles in modern gaming, AI, Objects, stats, ect and any PC builder will tell you the same, you really can't skimp on the CPU.  Games, especially ones like RTS and RPG require quite abit of CPU power. 

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: November 21, 2012, 10:22:54 AM »
But how can the Wii U's more modern CPU be slower than the 6-year-old Xbox 360's? Did Nintendo tell IBM to deliberately design an outdated chip?

Slower than the PS3 I can understand, because that thing was (and in some cases, still is) way ahead of its time.
I'm going to say the same thing that I said earlier in the thread (or a similar one)  Technically almost every CPU today is "Slower" than something in the past.  How many of us use a computer or device that is running consistently at over 3.1GHz?  We aren't.  Most of are processors are in the 2.something to upper 1 GHz range.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: November 21, 2012, 10:44:33 AM »
GPC/CPU/RAM...

I, for one, don't care.

Give me the games for my console and i'll buy them (well, provided i'm interested in it in the first place).

Can't deal with my console? Sorry, pal, my money go elsewere.

Okay, i actually kinda care since i'm pretty tech savvy mostly pc guy, but in Nintendo's case as long as games are there, they can run on abacus for all i care.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: November 21, 2012, 10:45:55 AM »
they can run on abacus for all i care.
That would be a trick.  Those human processors are glitchy and rarely follow instructions.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: November 27, 2012, 09:44:32 PM »
So apparently there was this giant Miiverse leak, and one of those things shown was a game called "Yoshi Land".

And where there's smoke... there's a retail listing.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/nintendo-wii-yoshi-s-land-nintendo-wii-u-400100624975/10233565.aspx?path=dda434935b6fe7de496bacec7db51837en02#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&sku=10233565&lang=en-CA
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/nintendo-wii-yoshi-s-land-nintendo-wii-u-400100624975/10233565.aspx?path=e4768593576af6e744f8febb6da02aa8en02

Release date suggests a 2013 release.

Yeah I meant to bring this up a while ago. Please please please god be an honest to goodness Yoshi's island. Preferably 3D, but if it's co-op then all my child hood gaming fantasies will have almost been completed.

Sounds like this is the game Reggie hinted at when he said there were more unannounced launch window games.

RomanceDawn

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7815 on: November 27, 2012, 10:09:23 PM »
Assuming that this is a genuine Yoshi's Island, then this will be the game that will sell me a Wii U. That is of course as long as Nintendo does something about the freezing issues.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7816 on: November 27, 2012, 10:26:52 PM »
If there is a new Yoshi's Island then it's guaranteed to be Good Feel's new game.  There was a two year gap between Wario Land and Epic Yarn and now it's been two years since Epic Yarn.  Plus Yoshi's Island is a platformer, which is the types of games Good Feel's previous two were, and the Yoshi Island series is known for having a more artsy looking style, which Good Feel's last two games has also specialized in.

When you put all the facts together, everything points very heavily to Good Feel.  Which is great since they have a good track record so far.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 11:12:51 PM by Luigi Dude »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #7817 on: November 27, 2012, 10:45:20 PM »
Whoa. Fantastic. As long as it plays just as perfectly well as Yoshi's Island does, then great. I look forward to this one!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7818 on: November 27, 2012, 11:08:37 PM »
Oh, I would love for a glorified 2D Yoshi's Island for Wii U...at the same time though, I can't help but think a fantastic 3D Yoshi game is the direction the 3D Mario games should go next to keep it fresh and original. 

I would love to play as Yoshi in 3D, protecting Baby Mario and doing grand crazy platforming feats that only Yoshi can do.  Add into the mix some fresh new egg mechanics and transformations and you have a stellar 3D game.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #7819 on: November 27, 2012, 11:16:11 PM »
Good Feel did Yoshi's Island DS right? It wasn't a bad game by any means, but I thought multiple baby's switching off gave me a DK 64 kind of vibe. It wasn't a bad game by any means just really underwhelming to me.

RomanceDawn

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #7820 on: November 27, 2012, 11:32:29 PM »
Good Feel did Yoshi's Island DS right? It wasn't a bad game by any means, but I thought multiple baby's switching off gave me a DK 64 kind of vibe. It wasn't a bad game by any means just really underwhelming to me.

Artoon did that game. They were founded by one of the creators of Sonic the Hedgehog (not Yuji Naka), and they also created that Blinx The Timesweeper game for the original Xbox.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #7821 on: November 28, 2012, 12:01:37 AM »
Yoshi's Island DS...

I played it first and kinda liked it.

Then i got GBA port of the original.

WOW. One of the best games of all time.

Don't screw this up, Nintendo.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #7822 on: November 28, 2012, 08:27:01 PM »
So all the people who guessed a Yoshi game was coming based on all those videos of key Nintendo staff staring down fruit were right!?

I'm pretty sure I'll be all over this game. I looooove Yoshi's island (haven't played 2, dammit!) so revisiting that world, with or without a baby, will be a pleasure. Plus the thought of it being in 3D gives me this giddy feeling like the first time I saw Mario 64 in action. I'm sure the team behind it could use assets established in Mario Galaxy 3 that had a the first good use of Yoshi in 3D, so I'm confident it would be good. Even if it is 2D, I'm sure it'll make me drool.

Bring it!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #7823 on: November 28, 2012, 11:41:52 PM »
It's just a rumor based on what some hacker allegedly found in the Miiverse system data. Don't take these things seriously.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #7824 on: November 29, 2012, 01:10:12 AM »
It's just a rumor based on what some hacker allegedly found in the Miiverse system data. Don't take these things seriously.

We're discussing a rumor in a thread about rumors that even warns us to bring our own salt. I don't know how many people here believe it to be true, just a lot of us showing excitement for something that is a genuine possibility.

Don't take forums so seriously.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.