Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167434 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #7400 on: August 05, 2012, 09:15:17 PM »
It's called Wine now.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: August 06, 2012, 08:06:55 AM »
How is Wine not an emulator? Isn't an "emulator" EXACTLY what it is?
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: August 06, 2012, 09:28:16 AM »
Because it doesn't emulate anything. Emulators let you "pretend" you're using a different machine, you emulate the hardware. With Wine you are not emulating a Windows PC, you're basically using a middle man of sorts to run Windows software on a non-Windows-running machine.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:30:19 AM by Brandogg »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: August 06, 2012, 10:26:41 AM »
Yeah, Wine is like using the terminology from McDonalds to order food from Burger King.  It just steps in the middle and goes "Hey this translates to this".
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: August 06, 2012, 10:28:45 AM »
That's probably the best analogy for anything, ever.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: August 06, 2012, 11:13:17 AM »
Yeah, Wine is like using the terminology from McDonalds to order food from Burger King.  It just steps in the middle and goes "Hey this translates to this".
That's probably the best analogy for anything, ever.
pretty much

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: August 06, 2012, 11:33:46 AM »
But in order to be that middle-man, doesn't Wine have to trick the programs into thinking they are running on Windows even though they are not? That seems to kinda fit the definition of emulate. Maybe the serious business stuff isn't being emulated, but the go between stuff is still emulated, right?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:36:53 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: August 06, 2012, 12:19:04 PM »
From Wikipedia:
"Wine is a compatibility layer. It duplicates functions of a Windows computer by providing alternative implementations of the DLLs that Windows programs call, and a process to substitute for the Windows NT. This method of duplication differs from other methods that might also be considered emulation, where Windows programs run in a virtual machine.Wine is predominantly written using black-box testing reverse-engineering, to avoid copyright issues.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:21:09 PM by Tamazoid »
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: August 07, 2012, 05:33:19 AM »
A rumor has been spreading on the web that suggests publisher EA and Nintendo tried to work out a deal for Wii U online component. Reportedly, Nintendo was in talks with several third parties to improve the Wii U’s online capabilities, and EA was one of them. However, the talks broke down when EA wanted all of Wii U’s online network — including the Nintendo Network — to be run through its Origin system. As expected, Nintendo walked out of the negotiations after such outrageous demands by EA.

Well, looks like that fell through. Better for Nintendo to not give the keys to the Wii U online kingdom to a third party.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: August 07, 2012, 09:02:54 AM »
If I was Nintendo I walk out too.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7410 on: August 07, 2012, 09:54:59 AM »
Good to see that Nintendo refuses to negotiate with terrorists.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7411 on: August 07, 2012, 09:57:27 AM »
I'm glad Nintendo didn't cede that much control to EA, but I'd bet the system EA would have put in place would have been better and more full-featured than what we'll get.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: August 07, 2012, 10:08:14 AM »
I'm glad Nintendo didn't cede that much control to EA, but I'd bet the system EA would have put in place would have been better and more full-featured than what we'll get.
Probably, but as an American I fully understand fighting to the death to be allow to make hard and difficult choices that I'm not qualified to make in my life.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: August 07, 2012, 02:26:46 PM »
Maybe, but I'm still hoping something is worked out similar to Portal 2 on PS3 where you bought the PS3 version, you get a Steam copy for free.  It'd be where you buy a copy of Mass Effect 3 on Wii U and you get an Origin copy for free and you can link your Nintendo account with Origin.  I'd love to see something like that.  Maybe it's not feasible to include cross network play but that would be awesome as well.

I'm just hoping the talks aren't completely done and EA and Nintendo find a way to work together with their online networks in some capacity.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: August 07, 2012, 02:37:22 PM »
Maybe, but I'm still hoping something is worked out similar to Portal 2 on PS3 where you bought the PS3 version, you get a Steam copy for free.  It'd be where you buy a copy of Mass Effect 3 on Wii U and you get an Origin copy for free and you can link your Nintendo account with Origin.  I'd love to see something like that.  Maybe it's not feasible to include cross network play but that would be awesome as well.

I'm just hoping the talks aren't completely done and EA and Nintendo find a way to work together with their online networks in some capacity.
I rather that work the other way because I have an Origin Copy >,> <.<

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7415 on: August 07, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »
Probably, but as an American I fully understand fighting to the death to be allow to make hard and difficult choices that I'm not qualified to make in my life.

You don't have that choice on others really. Every game on Xbox 360 (except EA) runs trough Microsoft. Sony is the same way with PS3 (with minor exceptions). The only difference here is that EA would be doing it rather than Nintendo themselves.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: August 07, 2012, 05:24:39 PM »

You don't have that choice on others really. Every game on Xbox 360 (except EA) runs trough Microsoft. Sony is the same way with PS3 (with minor exceptions). The only difference here is that EA would be doing it rather than Nintendo themselves.
But all your examples the platform holder is also running the service.  The EA deal would be like letting the company you work for dictate where you take your vacation and what you eat.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7417 on: August 07, 2012, 07:07:08 PM »
Which is what I even said in that statement. It would be the same thing, but just EA doing it rather than Nintendo themselves.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: August 07, 2012, 07:58:22 PM »
Which is what I even said in that statement. It would be the same thing, but just EA doing it rather than Nintendo themselves.

It wouldn't be the same thing to Nintendo. And it wouldn't be the same thing to other third parties on the Nintendo platform.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: August 07, 2012, 08:21:39 PM »
There some context missing. Did you mean:

A) If EA had there own Platform
B) If EA ran the Nintendo Network

A my statement doesn't work and it wasn't intended for.  B is what it was intended for.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7420 on: August 07, 2012, 08:34:05 PM »
I guess it's all a moot point regardless.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: August 09, 2012, 01:28:33 PM »

It wouldn't be the same thing to Nintendo. And it wouldn't be the same thing to other third parties on the Nintendo platform.
True, but if EA ran the Nintendo Network, don't you think the EA games on the Wii U will get better features?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: August 09, 2012, 03:59:20 PM »

True, but if EA ran the Nintendo Network, don't you think the EA games on the Wii U will get better features?

And maybe Activision, Ubisoft, Squaresoft, and etc. would get worse features?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: August 09, 2012, 07:36:45 PM »

And maybe Activision, Ubisoft, Squaresoft, and etc. would get worse features?
Maybe.  Never said I was for it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: August 09, 2012, 07:40:45 PM »
Third parties don't need any more excuses not to support Nintendo hardware (I'm sure they'll find enough of those on their own). So its good that EA won't have the online thing lock, stock, and barrel, because if they did every other company which isn't EA would have that as yet another excuse to not support Nintendo.
is your sanity...