Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167735 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #7350 on: July 20, 2012, 10:39:11 PM »
Miyamoto later admitted he war just being harsh because he was still upset at Nintendo's marketing team telling him to make Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island look more like DKC (of course, Miyamoto then went and make it look even more like hand drawn art).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7351 on: July 21, 2012, 01:34:47 AM »
At what point did the talent leave Rare?  When defending Nintendo's decision to sell them all I hear is that "well everyone who was any good had left".  Uh huh.  When did this happen?  Conker's Bad Fur Day kicked ass.  Star Fox Adventures is a pretty low note to end the Nintendo/Rare era on but it isn't just outright crap.  I would call it a well-made game with some major flawed ideas (and made by a team that had clearly lost their passion for the project when the big company execs shoehorned an unrelated IP into their game).  Did everyone skip out between Conker and SFA or is this revisionist history to defend the all-mighty infallible Nintendo.  All I get is vague answers.  Who left and when?  And no, don't point out DK64 and say "that game sucked" to defend yourself because Rare still released awesome games, including Perfect Dark, after DK64.

To me it seems like Nintendo sold off the company that almost single-handedly kept the N64 afloat in North America because their consistently great and successful games were often delayed even though Nintendo themselves always did that anyway.  And while Rare sucked with Microsoft, that's the point.  They sucked with Microsoft.  The Nintendo/Rare collaboration was what created the magic.

I look at the Rare sale as Nintendo pretty much signing the Cube's death certificate.  Okay so we're going in with the image that we're some kiddy company and the only cool stuff we got is Rare and Zelda.  So let's sell Rare and turn Zelda into a cartoon and then act completely befuddled when the system underperforms.

Did Star Fox Adventures suck because Rare had lost it or because Nintendo meddled with it in a way I would expect out of Activision or EA?  Hell the game came out around the same time Rare was sold.  The sale didn't happen overnight.  Is it possible that the impending sale could have had some effect on the SFA team's work?  You start off with this ambitious N64 game and then you have to move it to another system and then some meddling exec (ironically a fellow game designer) sabotages your whole creative vision and insists you insert an unrelated IP (with ridiculous gameplay elements like the Arwing levels that would naturally have to be thrown in) and this is all happening while there is talk that your company might be sold to someone else.  Could there be a less inspiring work environment?  Dinosaur Planet was likely ruined by outside factors.

its not so much that they left all at once, but they are 80% gone now. First Free Radicals left so no more Goldeneye/PD team, then slowly more people left, and finally the stampers themselves left.

but back to the wishing Rare would come back. I think i mentioned earlier, but its worth mentioning again...Microsoft posted their first quarterly loss ever, and a good Hollywood accounting way for making that as if it never happened is to sell some IPs that don't make them much money. They might make more money selling those IPs then holding on to them. If their long term global domination goals are to be believed, then they will get them back in the long run anyhow.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:37:22 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7352 on: July 21, 2012, 02:07:00 AM »
I would like to chime in and say that Starfox Adventures was INDEED crap.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7353 on: July 21, 2012, 09:45:41 AM »
At what point did the talent leave Rare?  When defending Nintendo's decision to sell them all I hear is that "well everyone who was any good had left".  Uh huh.  When did this happen?  Conker's Bad Fur Day kicked ass.  Star Fox Adventures is a pretty low note to end the Nintendo/Rare era on but it isn't just outright crap.  I would call it a well-made game with some major flawed ideas (and made by a team that had clearly lost their passion for the project when the big company execs shoehorned an unrelated IP into their game).  Did everyone skip out between Conker and SFA or is this revisionist history to defend the all-mighty infallible Nintendo.  All I get is vague answers.  Who left and when?  And no, don't point out DK64 and say "that game sucked" to defend yourself because Rare still released awesome games, including Perfect Dark, after DK64.

To me it seems like Nintendo sold off the company that almost single-handedly kept the N64 afloat in North America because their consistently great and successful games were often delayed even though Nintendo themselves always did that anyway.  And while Rare sucked with Microsoft, that's the point.  They sucked with Microsoft.  The Nintendo/Rare collaboration was what created the magic.

I look at the Rare sale as Nintendo pretty much signing the Cube's death certificate.  Okay so we're going in with the image that we're some kiddy company and the only cool stuff we got is Rare and Zelda.  So let's sell Rare and turn Zelda into a cartoon and then act completely befuddled when the system underperforms.

Did Star Fox Adventures suck because Rare had lost it or because Nintendo meddled with it in a way I would expect out of Activision or EA?  Hell the game came out around the same time Rare was sold.  The sale didn't happen overnight.  Is it possible that the impending sale could have had some effect on the SFA team's work?  You start off with this ambitious N64 game and then you have to move it to another system and then some meddling exec (ironically a fellow game designer) sabotages your whole creative vision and insists you insert an unrelated IP (with ridiculous gameplay elements like the Arwing levels that would naturally have to be thrown in) and this is all happening while there is talk that your company might be sold to someone else.  Could there be a less inspiring work environment?  Dinosaur Planet was likely ruined by outside factors.

its not so much that they left all at once, but they are 80% gone now. First Free Radicals left so no more Goldeneye/PD team, then slowly more people left, and finally the stampers themselves left.

but back to the wishing Rare would come back. I think i mentioned earlier, but its worth mentioning again...Microsoft posted their first quarterly loss ever, and a good Hollywood accounting way for making that as if it never happened is to sell some IPs that don't make them much money. They might make more money selling those IPs then holding on to them. If their long term global domination goals are to be believed, then they will get them back in the long run anyhow.

You do realize that that loss was due to a write off so it doesn't mean anything in the long run and they made 7billion in profits with 16billion in revenue. That and microsoft is looking are to what people are looking to what could be there most profitable holiday season ever with multiple product launches. That and if Nintendo has a good change or chunk accumulated and apple has a warchest I. The billions hownmuch money do you think Microsoft has.

That ans Microsoft aren't known for selling IP. They usually lisence it to other companies to use.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7354 on: July 21, 2012, 10:28:06 AM »
SFA was indeed crap, but it was a graphically stunning game on the GameCube. It's one of the only GCN games I've ever played that isn't plagued by aliasing issues.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7355 on: July 23, 2012, 09:13:12 PM »
SFA was indeed crap, but it was a graphically stunning game on the GameCube. It's one of the only GCN games I've ever played that isn't plagued by aliasing issues.

I sure wish more 3DS games had anti-aliasing. The fucking N64 had anti-aliasing built in, so why don't all their newer systems have it?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7356 on: July 23, 2012, 10:58:27 PM »
It's actually very taxing performance-wise, at least on older hardware.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #7357 on: July 24, 2012, 07:38:34 PM »

If the N64 could do AA, then the GameCube and Wii can do it since they are more powerful.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7358 on: July 24, 2012, 08:04:54 PM »
Didn't the Nintendo 64 have a specially designed graphics cheap that AA?  Perhaps that is why, and Nintendo decided that wasn't the best resource and did something different.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #7359 on: July 24, 2012, 08:11:29 PM »

If the N64 could do AA, then the GameCube and Wii can do it since they are more powerful.

Your avatar could benefit from some AA.
is your sanity...

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7360 on: July 25, 2012, 11:57:07 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed Dinosaur Planet. I may have been initially disappointed that it was nothing like Lylat Wars(probably one of my favourite games) but it was still a great near launch title for the Gamecube. I don't really see where all the hate comes from.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7361 on: July 25, 2012, 12:50:01 PM »
The problem is that it doesn't hold up too well, and it's a Zelda game, not a Star Fox game.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7362 on: July 25, 2012, 02:03:38 PM »
WiiU releasing on or about October 1?
On Amazon.ca, you pre-order Zombi-U and Sports Connection (Ubisoft games) and the info page for each game states they will be rleased on October 1. Zombi-U is $59.99, Sports Connection is $39.99.

ZombiU - Trilingual - WiiU by Ubisoft
 Platform: Nintendo Wii | Rated: Mature 
This title has been rated Mature Learn more about ESRB ratings
Like 1343238810 false 1 1 1 0 (1)

Price:CDN$ 59.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.
   o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o[/t]
This item will be released on October 1, 2012.
Pre-order now!
Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca. Gift-wrap available             Sports Connection - Trilingual - WiiU by Ubisoft
 Platform: Nintendo Wii | Rated: Everyone 10+ 
This title has been rated Everyone 10+ Learn more about ESRB ratings
Like 1343239243 false 1 0 0 0 (0) 

Price:CDN$ 39.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
   o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o[/t]
Pre-order now!
Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca. Gift-wrap available.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7363 on: July 25, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
I wouldn't mind that all. The sooner the better for me.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7364 on: July 25, 2012, 02:30:18 PM »
October 1 is a Monday and the 1st day of Q4. October 7 is a possibility if this is to be believed unless Nintendo wants to pull the nostalgia card and launch 16 years after N64. In any case, that gives Nintendo plenty of time to start the hype train. It might not be smart to launch so close to Resident Evil 6 if they're not getting it at the same time.

I won't be buying a Wii U this year. I just spent an arm and testicle on new out of network eyeglasses. For anyone who is 3DS friends with me, my Mii is accurate.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #7365 on: July 25, 2012, 05:14:35 PM »
October 1 is a Monday and the 1st day of Q4. October 7 is a possibility if this is to be believed unless Nintendo wants to pull the nostalgia card and launch 16 years after N64. In any case, that gives Nintendo plenty of time to start the hype train. It might not be smart to launch so close to Resident Evil 6 if they're not getting it at the same time.

I won't be buying a Wii U this year. I just spent an arm and testicle on new out of network eyeglasses. For anyone who is 3DS friends with me, my Mii is accurate.

Hey can I add you to my 3DS? PM me your friend code if you'd like.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #7366 on: July 25, 2012, 05:15:15 PM »
On Amazon.ca, you pre-order Zombi-U and Sports Connection (Ubisoft games) and the info page for each game states they will be rleased on October 1. Zombi-U is $59.99, Sports Connection is $39.99.

Pre-order now!
Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca. Gift-wrap available             Sports Connection - Trilingual - WiiU by Ubisoft

Pre-order now!

They list the platform as "Nintendo Wii". Good way to confuse customers, Amazon.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7367 on: July 30, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »

Pre-order now!

Pre-order now!

They list the platform as "Nintendo Wii". Good way to confuse customers, Amazon.

Jeez. Didn't CNN tell them that it's for the Wii add-on?

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7368 on: July 30, 2012, 06:44:40 PM »
The worst rumor ever. Good god, I don't even...

Smash Bros rumor.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/rumor-next-smash-to-be-a-retro-throwback
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7369 on: July 30, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »
Sounds BS to me, really hope this doesn't happen.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7370 on: July 30, 2012, 08:34:16 PM »
I don't know that may be really fun.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7371 on: July 30, 2012, 10:03:47 PM »
The worst rumor ever. Good god, I don't even...

Smash Bros rumor.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/rumor-next-smash-to-be-a-retro-throwback

Zeldainformer

Seriously, don't ever post Zelda Informer rumors because they are always wrong.  They're not even like other rumor sites that have gotten some rumors right in the past, so what they say might be true.  Zelda Informer has never gotten anything rumors right at all in the history of the site.  They are nothing more then a joke site and don't deserve the attention they get from constantly making up false rumors.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7372 on: July 30, 2012, 11:02:15 PM »
Well, you gotta give Zelda Informer credit for trying. Its not like there are a lot of "real" rumors in circulation at the moment, but they didn't let that stop them.... they just made rumors up. Sure, those rumors are almost certainly false, but anything is better than nothing, right? It gives people something to talk about where otherwise there would be nothing.
is your sanity...

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7373 on: July 30, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »
Well, you gotta give Zelda Informer credit for trying. Its not like there are a lot of "real" rumors in circulation at the moment, but they didn't let that stop them.... they just made rumors up. Sure, those rumors are almost certainly false, but anything is better than nothing, right? It gives people something to talk about where otherwise there would be nothing.

But if we know the rumors are false, there really isn't much to talk about.  If we're going to talk about things we already know are fake, then we might as well start making up our own false rumors on this site then.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7374 on: July 31, 2012, 12:02:09 AM »
That's actually not a bad idea. Why don't we make up our own rumors?
is your sanity...