Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3168024 times)

Offline Infinitys_End

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #7175 on: June 11, 2012, 10:31:09 AM »
S-K is probably the most overrated developer ever.  They screwed up so poorly that they had to fire over half their staff.  Too Human was the most worthless piece of trash ever to grace a console.  Moreso than Duke Nukem Forever.  They should just shut down forever; they've lost all their credibility, and they'll probably never make a good game ever again.

Speaking of insanity effects, you guys ever play Amnesia: The Dark Descent?  Think first person ED without combat, and an emphasis on barricading and hiding.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:32:43 AM by Infinitys_End »

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: June 12, 2012, 11:14:17 AM »
S-K is probably the most overrated developer ever.  They screwed up so poorly that they had to fire over half their staff.  Too Human was the most worthless piece of trash ever to grace a console.  Moreso than Duke Nukem Forever.  They should just shut down forever; they've lost all their credibility, and they'll probably never make a good game ever again.

Speaking of insanity effects, you guys ever play Amnesia: The Dark Descent?  Think first person ED without combat, and an emphasis on barricading and hiding.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is one of the most memorable gaming experiences of the GCN era. The update of MGS wasn't too shabby either.  If Miyamoto and Kojima trust SK enough to handle their published titles, they're a competent developer.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: June 12, 2012, 12:37:48 PM »
If Miyamoto and Kojima trust SK enough to handle their published titles, they're a competent developer.

With adult supervision, most children can appear competent.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: June 12, 2012, 01:12:53 PM »
If Miyamoto and Kojima trust SK enough to handle their published titles, they're a competent developer.

Doesn't this happen with all Nintendo 2nd parties?  Nintendo lets them work alone until they are scheduled to show the project.  The project is no where near Nintendo's standards and they delay the game for a long time while hand holding the developer to guide them in the right direction.  The game finally comes out to critical praise.  Then Nintendo decides not to buy or re-up their commitment to the developer who them goes on to another platform where the game they make there sucks universally and the company is barely heard from again.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: June 12, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »

Doesn't this happen with all Nintendo 2nd parties?  Nintendo lets them work alone until they are scheduled to show the project.  The project is no where near Nintendo's standards and they delay the game for a long time while hand holding the developer to guide them in the right direction.  The game finally comes out to critical praise.  Then Nintendo decides not to buy or re-up their commitment to the developer who them goes on to another platform where the game they make there sucks universally and the company is barely heard from again.

unless its Squaresoft, then the game becomes a major system seller phenomenon and creates a cult of hungry zombie fans.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: June 12, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »

Yeah, that sounds about right.  Though when the game came it fuckin' delivered.

Rare is all sucky now so a common opinion is that it was good Nintendo got rid of them.  Nintendo didn't ditch Rare they ditched the Rare/Nintendo team.  THAT was worth hanging on to.  The collaboration between those two companies consistently delivered amazing games.  It isn't like if Rare was still with Nintendo we would get the same lukewarm games MS got out of them.  That would only happen if Nintendo allowed it to be that way.  Odds are we would have continued to get great stuff out of them because of Nintendo's involvement.

Nintendo works really well as QA for someone else's work.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: June 12, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »

Rare is all sucky now so a common opinion is that it was good Nintendo got rid of them.  Nintendo didn't ditch Rare they ditched the Rare/Nintendo team.  THAT was worth hanging on to.  The collaboration between those two companies consistently delivered amazing games.  It isn't like if Rare was still with Nintendo we would get the same lukewarm games MS got out of them.  That would only happen if Nintendo allowed it to be that way.  Odds are we would have continued to get great stuff out of them because of Nintendo's involvement.

Conker's Bad Fur Day 2.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: June 13, 2012, 02:24:31 PM »

Conker's Bad Fur Day 2.
Probably wouldn't happen due to the dismal sales of the first one.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: June 13, 2012, 10:47:59 PM »
Retro in trouble?????? 

I'm on my cell so I can't post much but I ran into this story in gonintendo and I hope its not true.  The article seems in depth but I've never heard of this site or if the info is accurate. 

http://emilyrogersblog.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/trouble-brewing-at-retro-studios-rocky-development-for-wii-u-project/

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: June 13, 2012, 11:06:01 PM »
Retro in trouble? :confused; ?? 

I'm on my cell so I can't post much but I ran into this story in gonintendo and I hope its not true.  The article seems in depth but I've never heard of this site or if the info is accurate. 

http://emilyrogersblog.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/trouble-brewing-at-retro-studios-rocky-development-for-wii-u-project/

Without reading past the link, its Emily Rogers, everything she has "rumored" to date has been bullshit or never come to light. I wouldn't just take with some salt, I would get a whole salt lick for this one.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:12:05 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7185 on: June 14, 2012, 02:49:46 AM »

Without reading past the link, its Emily Rogers, everything she has "rumored" to date has been bullshit or never come to light. I wouldn't just take with some salt, I would get a whole salt lick for this one.

well idk, it sounds pretty reasonably true if you follow the rumor mill. I think by now things would have stabilized though. However, That must be why we didn't see anything from Retro this year though. It just seems odd what went on after Prime. Does a 2d DK sound like the right series for the Metroid Prime team? No of course not, and thats probably why the 3 key Metroid People left. What other GOOD reasons would people leave to work with the same people? However, like in the rumor mill they have been hiring some good talent up lately. Good artists and stuff. It says so in their Linked-in Resumes they are now working for Retro and working on a secret games, and their work before now was GREAT. So, by now Retro is stabilized and full of experienced talent.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: June 14, 2012, 07:34:49 AM »
Is Emily Rogers the chick who said she slept with someone for a news scoop? Her name sounds so familiar but I don't remember why.

Even if that rumor is true, does it matter? Metroid Prime had a pretty rocky development cycle too. The game came together at the end and that's what matters. Didn't Retro/Nintendo also say that Donkey Kong Country Returns only started to come together within the last year of development? As long as they don't put out garbage, I don't think there's any reason to panic.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:44:36 AM by Adrock »

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: June 14, 2012, 07:46:28 AM »
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Retro has been bleeding staff since the beginning. They are really living up to Rare's reputation of staff turnover. The thing is they have been replacing their ex staff with developers from other highly well regarded studios. What surprises me is that Nintendo sent people from NST to Retro to help out, I wonder what NST is doing, I highly doubt that they are working on another Mario vs Donkey Kong. They did hire that co founder of Sonic earlier this year, I swear they are working on something.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: June 14, 2012, 09:13:28 AM »
Is Emily Rogers the chick who said she slept with someone for a news scoop? Her name sounds so familiar but I don't remember why.

Yes she is, and if you check the 2011 rumor consolidation, she was the one who had "leaked pics of pikmin and some other game, but both pics were more than likely BS. She also had a bunch of rumors leading up to E3 2011, none of which came true (iirc), so I wouldn't take anything she says that isn't backed up with something besides her word as probably false.

Even if that rumor is true, does it matter? Metroid Prime had a pretty rocky development cycle too. The game came together at the end and that's what matters. Didn't Retro/Nintendo also say that Donkey Kong Country Returns only started to come together within the last year of development? As long as they don't put out garbage, I don't think there's any reason to panic.

well idk, it sounds pretty reasonably true if you follow the rumor mill. I think by now things would have stabilized though. However, That must be why we didn't see anything from Retro this year though. It just seems odd what went on after Prime. Does a 2d DK sound like the right series for the Metroid Prime team? No of course not, and thats probably why the 3 key Metroid People left. What other GOOD reasons would people leave to work with the same people?

If I remember correctly, Retro had asked to do DK, but now I'm pretty sure they are working on something new.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: June 14, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »
Does Retro include any of the old talent that made up Rare? If so, that would explain why they would have asked to do DKCR. Otherwise, they might just perceive themselves as the reincarnation of Rare.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: June 14, 2012, 02:38:04 PM »
Does Retro include any of the old talent that made up Rare? If so, that would explain why they would have asked to do DKCR. Otherwise, they might just perceive themselves as the reincarnation of Rare.
If they did, then that would mean people moved from Europe to the US for the job.  It's highly unlikely unless they loved either the IP or Nintendo that much.

Offline Zzyzx

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: June 15, 2012, 02:08:45 AM »

I'm not too concerned. The key developers leaving Retro over the last 5 years has been nothing really hidden or secretive, the info has been out there. The article just seems like complete BS to me based on the way it's written. It's so doom and gloom and it reminds me of cable news networks, like its trying to paint a more dramatic picture than is actually the case to grab your attention. It's so negative about Retro but I didn't see (not sure if it's in it or not but there's no big mention of it) the article mentioned how they just hired developers from Naughty Dog, id, and Vigil games. If you managed to snag developers from Naughty Dog, than that's a great sign.

I often worry that Retro may become what Rare has, but there's a key difference between Rare and Retro: Retro still has Nintendo backing them, which has some of the best developers in the industry. Bare in mind that Retro initially cancelled like 4 games when they started and the initial development of Metroid Prime was a complete mess to the point that they had to bring Miyamoto in. If you have to bring in Miyamoto, that's not a good sign. But hey, turned out great. So let's just hope either way someone from Nintendo is looking over their shoulder.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: June 15, 2012, 03:01:53 AM »
this might be a good thing in the long run anyhow, because Nintendo wouldn't want to go through this mess again. Also, it might give them some insight into starting new studios from scratch, which i would say they need 2-3 Retro class studios.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: June 15, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250189/miyamoto-interested-in-developing-a-first-person-shooter/

Miyamoto may not have the time, but like he did with Retro with Metroid Prime, he could put Retro on the task.

Speaking of first person, i play a first person game that is not a shooter all the time. Minecraft. which is brilliant.
Well, not in the last couple of weeks much, but there was a year where thats all i did. It was fun going down in caves with Stratos and Shyguy trying to see what we could find. We got lost and stuck a few times, and that was scary.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: June 15, 2012, 05:24:25 PM »
I always hate it when people accuse me of wanting Nintendo to just make some Halo or CoD clone.  No, what I would like is to see what Nintendo's take on a first person shooter would be like.  Unless they put Miis in it, I figure Nintendo would make one of the best games of that genre around.  I think that with almost any genre.  Miyamoto making an FPS would be sweet, because it wouldn't be just some generic FPS.  He would probably think of some new element that the entire genre would copy from here on out.

Part of what I loved about Goldeneye/Perfect Dark was that those games were first person shooters with that Nintendo level of polish.  The irony is that Nintendo pretty much made the FPS genre viable on consoles and now they're like completely disassociated from it.  Before they sold Rare I figured that Perfect Dark would be a major series for Nintendo by this point.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: June 15, 2012, 06:35:11 PM »
Goldeneye had polish? lol

If that isn't the very definition of being "blinded by nostalgia" I don't know what is. I'll give you Perfect Dark, but not Goldeneye at all.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: June 15, 2012, 06:56:51 PM »
I don't think he means visual polish.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #7197 on: June 15, 2012, 08:08:31 PM »
Oh, definitely. GoldenEye is a very well-polished game. Still has great gameplay, solid play-control, a decent soundtrack, awesome multiplayer... yeah, it's still a great game.

How can one not see that? o_O
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: June 15, 2012, 08:34:14 PM »
I think FPS games have changed so much since the Nintendo 64 days that it's difficult for a newcomer to understand what made Goldeneye a big deal back in the day. They now have a lot more realism and spectacle, which is what I think most people these days want from an FPS game. Even although I don't feel they make games in its particular style anymore, Goldeneye is not a game I would recommend to the new generation of gamers.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: June 15, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »
PD64>GE64
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;