Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3168301 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #7125 on: June 03, 2012, 04:30:08 PM »
Wii U Controller will have a 3DS Card Slot in it.

Wii it? I thought the understanding was the controller just has content streamed to it and that it doesn't really do any major processing of its own? In order to process the 3DS games, the controller would end up being as expensive (or close to it) as the 3DS itself, and considering the 3DS is $170 that probably wouldn't fly.

I don't think the Wii U controller will feature 3DS capability, but this connectivity feature is still very significant and if Nintendo backs it 100% then it could be a success where the connectivity with the GC/GBA failed.
is your sanity...

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: June 03, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »
Nintendo should put all their 3DS demos on the eShop. Not just trailers.

I wonder if the Wii's Nintendo Channel and 3DS eShop will show the press conference after E3 is over? The press conference from E3 2011 is still on the Nintendo Channel.

I don't know what's sadder: the fact that I didn't know this, or the fact that I'm in the vast majority.

Does the Nintendo Channel even still update?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: June 03, 2012, 04:34:44 PM »
Wii U Controller will have a 3DS Card Slot in it.

Wii it? I thought the understanding was the controller just has content streamed to it and that it doesn't really do any major processing of its own? In order to process the 3DS games, the controller would end up being as expensive (or close to it) as the 3DS itself, and considering the 3DS is $170 that probably wouldn't fly.

Just a hunch.  But, again, I didn't say it'd be a 3DS player - just that it'd have a card slot.  Could be for accessing data/save info/etc.

And, besides, couldn't the controller send the card info to the Wii U and let it do all the processing?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: June 03, 2012, 07:31:58 PM »
And, besides, couldn't the controller send the card info to the Wii U and let it do all the processing?

I don't know. But wouldn't it make more sense to just have the 3DS card slot on the system itself? That way instead of the data having to stream forward and then back, it would only have to be streamed out once after it was already processed? Since the uMOTE thing can't operate independently of the Wii U anyway there's nothing to be gained by having the 3DS card slot on the controller instead of on the console.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: June 03, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »
Not having to get up and walk over to the system is gained.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: June 03, 2012, 10:09:10 PM »

I don't know. But wouldn't it make more sense to just have the 3DS card slot on the system itself? That way instead of the data having to stream forward and then back, it would only have to be streamed out once after it was already processed? Since the uMOTE thing can't operate independently of the Wii U anyway there's nothing to be gained by having the 3DS card slot on the controller instead of on the console.
Iwata said that the WiiU Game Pad could be used even when the WiiU is not turned on. I'm sure that functionality will be very limited...but there will at least be some functionality.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: June 03, 2012, 10:40:53 PM »
They should be able to have the tablet controller run original Gameboy games, because weren't those extremely simple and required very minimal processing power? With DS and especially 3DS games that might be out of the question, but GB-GBA titles could work, I would think. NES titles probably wouldn't be a problem either.

ETA: I mean run them in a digital virtual console form. I don't mean include the actual cartridge slots, which would be absurd.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: June 04, 2012, 12:25:17 AM »
This is from a couple of days ago, and I though I had already copied it over, but I just looked back and i never did. So grab some limes, and obviously more salt as you know the usual routine. Cheers.

Blizzard has 2 Wii U games in the works? Diablo 3 & StarCraft 2 perhaps?
From NeoGAF:
Quote from: Lupin the Wolf
I just heard some info from someone who seems trustworthy and I wanted to share the few details I was given. Feel free to believe it or not.

-My source was told by his industry contacts that Blizzard has two unannounced games in the works "that cannot [yet] be discussed" that are scheduled to be released by year's end.

Now, speculation from my source (a fellow Gaffer who wants to protect his sources) based on what he knows about his contacts:
-He is confident that at least one of them is for Wii U, if not both.
-He believes Blizzcon 2012 was cancelled for more reasons than just to focus on SC2 and Diablo 3. If Blizzard had more titles coming out by the end of the year, why would they not show it off at their own show? Unless their hands were tied by heavy-duty NDAs...the kind Nintendo likes to issue...
-He believes Diablo III and StarCraft II are the safest guesses: Diablo III is, of course, officially confirmed to be coming to consoles, but Blizzard won't say which ones (NDA again?).
-His more "crazy-out-there" theory (again, all pieced together from hints dropped by his own sources and what he knows about them) is the MMO Project "Titan," which he believes might have a Free-to-Play model (downloadable from the Wii U eShop-equivalent) with microtransaction support and possibly NFC items at retail.

Maybe they will also port over WoW with all the expansions while they are at it.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: June 04, 2012, 02:36:18 PM »
WoW sounds more likely than SC2.  You need precision timing and speed with building units in that game and a touch screen will not give you enough of that, especially if it isn't multitouch.  WoW seems like one that would work better.  I do think D3 is coming to all three major consoles though.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: June 04, 2012, 02:55:19 PM »
C'mon Rock 'n Roll Racing....
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: June 04, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »
I would probably buy both Diablo III and Starcraft 2 if they came to the Wii U. It's been several years since I have stopped playing games on my PC, and I think they would work fairly well on the Wii U.

Louieturkey, keep in mind that Warcraft 2 and Diablo were both released on the PS1, and Starfraft was released on the N64. Sure, these probably weren't the ideal platforms for these games, but Wii U is a much better fit for their sequels. The Wii U Game Pad may not have multi-touch, but neither does a mouse connected to a PC.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: June 04, 2012, 03:46:37 PM »
Diablo 3 I think be an excellent fit.  Maybe even WoW.  SC2 on the other hand.  Single Player be fine but Multiplayer prepare to be super creamed.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: June 04, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »
Diablo 3 I think be an excellent fit.  Maybe even WoW.  SC2 on the other hand.  Single Player be fine but Multiplayer prepare to be super creamed.

Actually, for SC2 using the Wiimote to point at the TV while you scrolled around with the tablet would give you ridiculous amounts of control.

I could be wrong though. I haven't played an RTS since Starcraft.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: June 04, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: June 04, 2012, 04:28:52 PM »
Too slow, champ. Talkback already gots it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #7140 on: June 04, 2012, 08:09:55 PM »

If both players are equally handicapped, the fight's still fair, no?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7141 on: June 04, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »

Only if their isn't a Korean.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: June 05, 2012, 12:35:47 AM »

Only if their isn't a Korean.

That's why I said "equally"! Maybe the Korean dude can only use one hand or something...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7143 on: June 05, 2012, 10:57:05 AM »
I have a feeling Koreans would never buy a Wii U version anyways so we're all in luck.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: June 05, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »
Old Picture.  No Sale.

Also didn't we already get confirmed 6 USB ports.

And One More Thing Jackie, the lack of a network port on that system is very disheartening to me in this spec.  Especially since my wireless router I'm forced to use gets fussy after more than 3 devices.  A USB adaptor is not as good as a true wired network connection.  I'm sure SUPER would agree with me.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:48:37 AM by Ceric »

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: June 05, 2012, 11:53:32 AM »
Give me wired.  I'm perfectly fine with adding another 8 port green switch to my network.  My wifi tends to have problems with too many wifi devices and we already have 3 iphones, an ipad, and two laptops and Directv VOD and my Wii (when it's hooked up).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: June 05, 2012, 12:00:45 PM »
Wii U specs leaked?
 http://www.vgleaks.com/world-premiere-wii-u-specs/

These specs are supposedly from an earlier sdk, not the most recent upgraded one.
So I would expect a slightly beefier GPU and more RAM.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: June 05, 2012, 01:23:41 PM »
Odd that they keep calling it Cafe.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: June 05, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »
Odd that they keep calling it Cafe.

That proves it's old info from last year.

I was highly disappointed with Nintendo's E3 conference. They didn't talk about any of the online features except for Miiverse. Miiverse seems very interesting and a big step forward from their past efforts, but it's just a social networking feature (like Twitter or Facebook). Where was the info on Nintendo Network, Achievements, eShop / Virtual Console games, system-wide voice chat?

Most of the games were casual titles. Didn't Iwata say that they were making the Wii U for more "core" gamers? Games like Nintendo Land won't win over many people from the Xbox / PlayStation side.

Games like Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition, and Zombi U seem very innovative and ambitious, more so than Nintendo's own games. I guess Nintendo wasn't really prepared to show their own titles. Pikmin 3 looks like a GameCube game with higher resolution, it doesn't seem to be really taking advantage of the Wii U's extra power.

I'm surprised that 3rd-party publishers like Ubisoft and WB Games are bringing more "core" games to the Wii U, because the rest of what Nintendo showed makes it look like the original Wii all over again. Casual games, family stuff, no big online features.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:05:56 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931