Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167470 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6500 on: April 14, 2012, 03:18:32 AM »
Weren't there rumors that the system would simply be called the "Nintendo" last year?

Yep. It's on the list if you want to check.

edit: and while you're in there, I just updated the list with 4 rumors.
2 previous ones that got skipped over on accident (2 in 2011 and the other in 2012), and the latest about the Universal uMote.

The previously omitted entries:
April 2011 - Head mounted 3DVR potentially using uMote motion tech being worked on right now bu Nintendo
August 2011 - Patents reveal uMote may use Flash Mem, H.264, WirelessN, Multi-Touch & have a Cradle/Docking Station
Feb 2012 - Nintendo planning to turn Wii U into a media centerpiece taking a page from Xbox LIVE
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:21:20 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: April 15, 2012, 02:25:41 AM »
OMG If true nintendo will own them all! lol
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: April 15, 2012, 02:23:08 PM »
Interesting informed speculation at Beyond3D: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1637040#post1637040

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: April 15, 2012, 03:12:46 PM »
Interesting informed speculation at Beyond3D: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1637040#post1637040
Mind explaining this in layman's terms? All I got from it is that it's trying to be as port-friendly as possible, though I don't understand the reasoning for bringing this up...
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: April 15, 2012, 05:13:18 PM »
Highlights:

Basically, complaints from third parties are not due to technical limitations but due to lack of understanding of the system architecture. The poster seems to be a student who has spoken to developers who have Wii U dev kits.

"Optimized code for the 360 may run sub-par on the Wii U" But Nintendo builds very efficient systems that need to be taken advantage of.

"The performance will scale up considerably on proprietary engines I've been told. (much like the PS3, though even more capable)"

"As far as the lighting is concerned, I tried to describe having some fixed functionality in parallel to programmable shaders. What this yields is stable, predictable performance. This is especially important when rendering a seperate viewpoint on the DRC (display remote controller) from what is shown on the main screen" - Meaning lighting effects don't have to be a programmed shader in the engine, but are built in to the Graphics.

"There is definitely a DSP" - Digital Signal Processor, probably for dedicated audio.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: April 15, 2012, 05:45:55 PM »
Weren't there rumors that the system would simply be called the "Nintendo" last year?

Yep. It's on the list if you want to check.

2 previous ones that got skipped over on accident (2 in 2011 and the other in 2012), and the latest about the Universal uMote.

April 2011 - Head mounted 3DVR potentially using uMote motion tech being worked on right now bu Nintendo
August 2011 - Patents reveal uMote may use Flash Mem, H.264, WirelessN, Multi-Touch & have a Cradle/Docking Station
Feb 2012 - Nintendo planning to turn Wii U into a media centerpiece taking a page from Xbox LIVE

The Wii U controller uses a resistive touch screen and a stylus, similar to the DS / 3DS. This was confirmed by Nintendo at E3 2012, and they even showed pictures of it.

Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: April 15, 2012, 08:48:30 PM »
But is it a Multi-Touch screen? Will it be able to play all iPad games?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: April 15, 2012, 08:50:52 PM »

I don't think you can do multi touch with a resistive screen.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: April 15, 2012, 08:53:11 PM »

If I recall the one shown did NOT have multi touch. Who knows if that has changed. I don't recall playing any games on iPhone that use the multi touch feature of the pad for anything other then simulated touch controls, which are unnecessary for Wii U since it has actual buttons. Not to say they aren't out there, but every game I've played, that has it, could easily use physical buttons instead.

I guess my point is how necessary is multi touch support? It would be nice to have, but it depends on the expense incurred by adding it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:00:57 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6509 on: April 15, 2012, 08:55:59 PM »
Cut the Rope has you use two fingers to cut ropes simultaneously.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6510 on: April 15, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »
The Wii U controller uses a resistive touch screen and a stylus, similar to the DS / 3DS. This was confirmed by Nintendo at E3 2012, and they even showed pictures of it.
The patent application in question says they could opt to use a capacitive one; the hardware shown last year wasn't final. There are special styluses designed for capacitive screens.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: April 15, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »

A shitty iPhone game requires it? That's a reason? God, I hope Nintendo don't included multi-touch so all the horrible iPhone games don't start getting ported over.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: April 15, 2012, 09:30:12 PM »
The patent application in question says they could opt to use a capacitive one; the hardware shown last year wasn't final. There are special styluses designed for capacitive screens.

Nintendo uses that same line with each new console they reveal at E3. They said the 3DS hardware wasn't final, yet the actual device only had a small color difference (the circle pad was a lighter grey). The Wii U's controller is final. The only thing that might change is the overall size of the Wii U console, it might be a bit shorter or a different color, but the final design will most-likely be the same.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6513 on: April 15, 2012, 09:47:12 PM »

A shitty iPhone game requires it? That's a reason? God, I hope Nintendo don't included multi-touch so all the horrible iPhone games don't start getting ported over.

HEY! Cut The Rope is a very good game! >:^(

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: April 15, 2012, 09:55:54 PM »
Yeah, Cut the Rope is one of the best games on the platform. It understands what the controls are capable of, and does a really good job of using them.

Multitouch isn't necessary most of the time, but it would be nice, and having more control options is always a good thing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: April 15, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »
There was a picture of two people touching the Umote screen at the same time. I do not have time to post it, but I do not have time to find it and post it.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: April 15, 2012, 10:40:19 PM »
I don't think we are going to see great looking third party games until Microsoft and Sony join the next gen. As long as developers are making the 360 the primary platform. There won't be much difference between a 360 and Wii U game. To illustrate this, check out Console vs PC on Youtube. The visual game experience between the two is small.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: April 15, 2012, 10:47:49 PM »

[img]http://e3.nintendo.com/_ui/img/hw/playstyle/hardware/2b.jpg[img]

I don't understand your point. There are multi touch resistive screens too. I'd look it up for you, but I've already done that somewhere in this thread or the Wii U one, and I'm on my phone, so that would be too difficult at this time.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:43:28 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: April 15, 2012, 10:48:59 PM »
Nintendo uses that same line with each new console they reveal at E3. They said the 3DS hardware wasn't final, yet the actual device only had a small color difference (the circle pad was a lighter grey). The Wii U's controller is final. The only thing that might change is the overall size of the Wii U console, it might be a bit shorter or a different color, but the final design will most-likely be the same.
You say that with such conviction.

The original DS wasn't final at E3 2004.

The Wii Remote wasn't final when Nintendo revealed it. Note the missing speaker and the nunchuk's larger plug. It's also shorter than the final Wii remote.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: April 15, 2012, 11:27:02 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree - Cut the Rope is a pretty great game for the platform... but I don't recall ever needing multi-touch.  In fact, there's a version of it for DSiWare that's not multi-touch, though I don't know if any of the puzzles have been changed.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6520 on: April 16, 2012, 12:42:23 AM »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:56 AM »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6522 on: April 16, 2012, 01:25:40 AM »
And yet, they've already announced that they're adding NFC at a minimum.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: April 16, 2012, 01:29:03 AM »

I don't think you can do multi touch with a resistive screen.

Resistive is futile. /borg
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: April 16, 2012, 02:59:41 AM »

Hm.  Either I just don't remember that or the Android version had different levels.

*edit* Guess it's got different levels:
http://www.androidtapp.com/cut-the-rope/

My only gripe is that it is not multi-touch enabled. For example, some levels require swift actions like using a few whoppee-cushion to push the candy into a bubble, to pop it and drop it; which would be more convenient using two hands, but I can respect how it adds to the complexity of gameplay challenge.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:02:07 AM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.