Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3168195 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #6075 on: March 27, 2012, 02:11:02 AM »
As you know, the movie Expendables 2 is coming out this year. There is an Expendables video game in production and it will feature voice work by the movie cast. How do I know this? The author of the Expendable's comic book is writing the dialog.

...could it be coming to the Wii U too?!?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: March 27, 2012, 02:11:52 AM »
He was talking about the ram being more than 1GB and possibly 1.5GB or so way before Ideaman came into the picture.

Yeah, but I think it was some uber vague Ideaman comments that all of a sudden shifted the conversation into the 2+ GB range.

But I totally see what you're saying. For all intents and purposes, the guy is 100% unconfirmed.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: March 27, 2012, 02:20:41 AM »
I remember reading rumors a while back that a lot of Japanese midsize developers were targeting both Vita and Wii U releases because they couldn't afford anything higher. If true, I'm excited to see what sort of quirky out-there Japanese games the Wii U will get!

There are a bunch of third party Vita games that I hope gets ported to the Wii U. Namely any any game developed by Vanillaware.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: March 27, 2012, 02:26:16 AM »
Right now, I hope PSO 2 gets ported from Vita to Wii U.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: March 27, 2012, 02:32:47 AM »
It would pretty much cripple the Vita if the Wii U and 3DS got the same third party games. The Wii U is basically a handheld console too, so whatever games that the 3DS could not handle then they could get ported to the Wii U from the Vita.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:41:44 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: March 27, 2012, 02:37:28 AM »

He was talking about the ram being more than 1GB and possibly 1.5GB or so way before Ideaman came into the picture.

Yeah, but I think it was some uber vague Ideaman comments that all of a sudden shifted the conversation into the 2+ GB range.

But I totally see what you're saying. For all intents and purposes, the guy is 100% unconfirmed.

and for the record, lherre was saying that the Dev kits have atleast 2GB of RAM in them. and since the dev kits are usually double the RAM (excluding the 360 until sometime long after the 360 release), which would mean that the retail unit was all but guaranteed to have atleast 1GB minimum but more likely closer to 1.5GB or more.

ideaman was also talking about dev kits when he was talking about 2GB+.

trust me when I say that all of his post have been purposely vague and overly wordy.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: March 27, 2012, 02:53:44 AM »
I'm not disputing the vagueness of his posts. I personally just think that if not for him, we wouldn't have seen the momentary burst of speculation at or above 2 GB that we saw.

Personally, I'm starting to re-acclimate myself to a much more modest target. But I do wonder how having two screens that will require graphics will affect some other aspects of the hardware in ways that single-screen console technologies haven't had to worry about.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6082 on: March 27, 2012, 03:12:50 AM »
The Wii U is basically a handheld console too

How do you figure? You still need to have the system on and plugged into the tv (even if someone else is using it), and you can't go too far from the system because the controller needs to be able to communicate with it. The closest it gets to being handheld is some more simplistic games can be played on the controller. And only if you are like maybe 30 feet from the console.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: March 27, 2012, 03:16:56 AM »
Right now, I hope PSO 2 gets ported from Vita to Wii U.

If Sega gets to run or have access to their own network on the Wii U, then it's a possibility. News today have stated that Phantasy Star Online 2 will be a free-to-play game (with a cash shop) and looking at early summer for the PC release and 2013 for the Vita version. The PC and Vita version will be played on the same server. If Sonic Team is confident that the Vita has enough control inputs to match PSO2, then I hope they consider a Wii U version too! Also, I hope Nintendo lets Sega run the free-to-play game somehow.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: March 27, 2012, 03:30:52 AM »

How do you figure? You still need to have the system on and plugged into the tv (even if someone else is using it), and you can't go too far from the system because the controller needs to be able to communicate with it. The closest it gets to being handheld is some more simplistic games can be played on the controller. And only if you are like maybe 30 feet from the console.

Correction: It will be like a handheld in its own speciel way.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: March 27, 2012, 03:31:15 AM »

wrong.

you need the system to be plugged in and near by, but if it delivers like Nintendo said, you shouldn't need a TV at all. If the games are devved anything like DSII where they got the game up and running on the uMote in a matter minutes, then it really is like a portable home console in the sense that you can use in anywhere in the house (within range of the base) and never need to turn the TV on.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6086 on: March 27, 2012, 04:03:19 AM »
Please read my post again, I never said the tv needed to be on. I said the system needed to be plugged into the tv. And it's hardly a portable system when the Wii U needs to still be on and you can't go too far from it (in addition to the limitations as to what games can be streamed to it).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: March 27, 2012, 06:15:24 AM »
I wonder if the Wii U really does need to be plugged into the TV. I mean, I can't see why it can't still work without any AV cables tethered to it. The tablet controller would just act as the main screen 100% of the time.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: March 27, 2012, 06:18:35 AM »
I'm sooo game for turn-based strategy games on the Wii U Controller now!

portable home console

Did you just coin a new phrase?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: March 27, 2012, 08:37:26 AM »
I'm sure the WiiU won't need to be plugged into a TV (at least not for all games). The main menu when you turn on the console should be displayed when on the Umote too, then it's up to the games you're playing as to whether or not you need a TV at all.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6090 on: March 27, 2012, 09:24:44 AM »
Actually most games have the WII U remote as an inventory screen/map ect meaning the main game is still on the big screen without all the menus/hud so you wouldn't be able to play any of them. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: March 27, 2012, 09:27:15 AM »
Please read my post again, I never said the tv needed to be on. I said the system needed to be plugged into the tv.
wrong.

you need the system to be plugged in and near by, but if it delivers like Nintendo said, you shouldn't need a TV at all.
I read your post right the first time ;)

Actually most games have the WII U remote as an inventory screen/map ect meaning the main game is still on the big screen without all the menus/hud so you wouldn't be able to play any of them. 
I'm sure that lots of games will be playable the same way as it's PS360 counterpart on just the tablet too. There may be a few Wii U exclusives that rely heavily on the use of a second screen and can't be played without it, but I could see  a majority of titles having a "tablet only" mode too.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:38:39 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: March 27, 2012, 11:05:06 AM »
I just wondered something.  If a player ops for striclty Upad play, without the TV, would Nintendo, or any developer, be able to up the framerate to 60 frames then?  This would be similar to how some 3ds games run smoother when you turn 3d off.  The WiiU will now just have to display 1 image at 480p, that should make it a cakewalk no matter how much graphic effects are being shown.  It should easily be able to run smoother.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: March 27, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »
What if there was a way to reverse the display outputs so that what was meant to be displayed on the TV gets displayed on the Upad and what was meant for the Upad goes to the TV? Wouldn't that be weird to have the entire game world in the palm of your hands, and then on your big ass tv screen there is some little character or something that was supposed to be on the tiny screen.
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: March 27, 2012, 01:18:18 PM »
I just wondered something.  If a player ops for striclty Upad play, without the TV, would Nintendo, or any developer, be able to up the framerate to 60 frames then?  This would be similar to how some 3ds games run smoother when you turn 3d off.  The WiiU will now just have to display 1 image at 480p, that should make it a cakewalk no matter how much graphic effects are being shown.  It should easily be able to run smoother.

I think that will depend on what their streaming tech is capable of.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: March 27, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »
I would imagine that Nintendo would be aiming to release some dual screen games where you use both the TV and tablet at the same time, like a DS game.  In that case just using the tablet isn't going to work.  And if it's going to be normal for games to only display on the tablet, what is the point?  Why are you making me buy an expensive controller to play a game that only uses one screen when I would rather view it on my TV and can use the Wii remote to simulate the touchscreen?  If the games only use one screen than the user should get to pick which screen they want to view it on.  But in that case they also don't NEED the tablet and therefore it should up to the consumer to decide if they want to pay for it or not depending on how they would prefer to play.

Dual screen is going to be a big thing I think.  If it's just about playing the home console away from the TV then it might as well be a portable.  Nintendo has been all over this dual screen thing since Gamecube/GBA connectivity.

I don't think the market for a large handheld that can't be taken out of the house is very large so that isn't going to be the focus (or at least shouldn't be the focus).  The iPad is different because you can take it ANYWHERE.  It isn't tethered like the Wii U.  A tethered iPad is a pretty restrictive idea.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: March 27, 2012, 04:11:01 PM »
Who takes their iPads out of their house?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: March 27, 2012, 04:28:32 PM »

I do sometimes. An iPad with cellular data is the greatest thing ever on a long car ride. I don't carry it around everywhere like I do my iPhone and 3DS, but I regularly take it with me places when I think I'll have a use for it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: March 27, 2012, 04:30:51 PM »
Really? I've never seen that before. I always thought people used them as their laptop replacement.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: March 27, 2012, 04:57:37 PM »

All I ever see out here in California is people walking around with their ipads. Big show offy jerks!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn