Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3168175 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #5350 on: January 26, 2012, 04:41:33 PM »
The Wii name is synonymous with success

Only with casuals. That's my point. To casuals its an awesome name, but to hardcore gamers its not. To them the system was a failure. To them the name "Wii" leaves a bad taste in their mouth. Hardcore gamers will go out of their way to avoid anything with the name Wii attached to it, so this would hurt the Wii U even if it does have great games on it. The name is **** and these gamers would see it as an embarrassment to own it, and they wouldn't want their friends to know they owned it. No self-respecting hardcore gamer would openly boast of owning a "Wii U" out of fear of being ostracized.

Sadly, I can picture kids getting beat up on playgrounds and picked on just because they owned a Wii U instead of one of the "cool" systems. If that happens its Nintendo's fault for not giving the system a cooler name.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 04:43:33 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5351 on: January 26, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »
I think you are blowing things out of proportion. The name is not the problem, it was the lack of games that caused so-call "hardcore" gamers to start avoiding it. If the Wii U has the games and tech, then people will flock to it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: January 26, 2012, 05:17:32 PM »

Only with casuals. That's my point. To casuals its an awesome name, but to hardcore gamers its not.
Nintendo made the Wii anti-hardcore and cashed in on it.  This pissed the hc gamer off.
Nintendo then stopped going after their new customers by 2010 (nintendo's last BIG game came out in 2009) so I doubt any of them will even care by the launch of Wii U--Nintendo might have poisoned the well, so to speak.

Wii U is a name that screams confusion.
It's not going to bring back Wii-gamers and it just sounds dumb to... everyone.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: January 26, 2012, 05:25:19 PM »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: January 26, 2012, 05:33:34 PM »
I think you are blowing things out of proportion. The name is not the problem, it was the lack of games that caused so-call "hardcore" gamers to start avoiding it. If the Wii U has the games and tech, then people will flock to it.

You are right that the lack of games is what ruined the Wii name's reputation (although the Wii name was silly to begin with). But that's exactly my point, the name has been tarnished and trashed.  It doesn't matter why the name is garbage, it just is. And that's why it needs to be dropped. When people hear the name "Wii" they think of that waggle controller console that didn't have any cool games. That's not the reputation Nintendo should want their next console to be associated with. It doesn't matter why it has that reputation, the fact of the matter is simply that it does and therefore the name needs to be dropped.

It would be much easier and simpler for Nintendo to start off with a new brand name than to try to rehabilitate the "Wii" in the eyes of hardcore gamers. I'm not saying the "Wii" brand couldn't be rehabilitated, but it would take a lot of time and effort and until it was rehabilitated the console would suffer. So even though it could be cured, its just not worth it. Better to start off with a new name which is cool right from the beginning.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:35:55 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5355 on: January 26, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »

Only with casuals. That's my point. To casuals its an awesome name, but to hardcore gamers its not.
Nintendo made the Wii anti-hardcore and cashed in on it.  This pissed the hc gamer off.
Nintendo then stopped going after their new customers by 2010 (nintendo's last BIG game came out in 2009) so I doubt any of them will even care by the launch of Wii U--Nintendo might have poisoned the well, so to speak.

Wii U is a name that screams confusion.
It's not going to bring back Wii-gamers and it just sounds dumb to... everyone.

How is it confusing? Because it keeps a successful brand name alive? And I didn't know you spoke to all 7 billion people in the world. It's fine if you think it's dumb, but please don't act like you know how most people feel. They didn't try to make it anti-hardcore, third party publishers did that when they stopped trying to put good games on it. Nintendo tried to make the system one that was for everyone.

No big games since 2009? A few off the top of my head that came out in 2010 or 2011: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Those are big games, they have also released more hardcore games that are not necessarily "big" (like Xenoblade Chronicles and Metroid: Other M).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: January 26, 2012, 05:46:46 PM »
Those are big games,

The reason those are all you can think of is because those are pretty much all the big game releases there was. 4 big games in the period of 2-3 years is not something to be proud of. In that same period of time the PS360 received probably dozens of games of similar caliber.

they have also released more hardcore games that are not necessarily "big" (like Xenoblade Chronicles and Metroid: Other M).

Xenoblade isn't getting a proper full blown release in NA like it should, and Other M was garbage. I actually consider Other M to be a negative game, which means not only does it not count towards the Wii's game lineup but it actually detracts from it. It cancels out a good game in the same way that anti-matter cancels out normal matter.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5357 on: January 26, 2012, 05:52:13 PM »
I just listed ones from Nintendo, not third parties. Microsoft was not that big either.

For your second point, you just seem to be trying to come up with some reason to not count games.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: January 26, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »
Personally if they are going to keep the Wii name I like a clearly indicator.

Wii Too

Would fit there need and Too sounds like Two which indicates iteration.

Wii X

X in the US means Extreme which is synonomous with more Power, Ho HO hO.

neWii

New Wii.  Its in the name.

The name should trigger easy logic to it being the next one.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: January 26, 2012, 06:36:28 PM »
Super Wii is where it's at. ;D ;)
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: January 26, 2012, 06:52:52 PM »

I'm vehemently opposed to anything with Wii in it, and that includes "Super Wii". Now if it was called Super Gamecube, or Super N64, then okay. Those were systems I loved. But Wii? Hell no.
is your sanity...

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #5361 on: January 26, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »

My library of 30+ "hardcore" games for the Wii disagrees. It's not about the amount of games over the tenure of the console... to grasp a particular audience, the old adage, "First impressions are everything," holds very true - even when naming a console. Chozo is correct. Associate this new console with the Wii moniker, and core gamers will scoff and lift their collective noses in the air.  However, give it a catchy name that might have a slight descriptive notion as to what the console is all about? Now we're talking.

Ditch the Wii name. If Nintendo truly wants to capture as huge of an audience as they can with this thing, then it's time to create a new brand. One that's cool. One that has a catch to it. One that everyone can relate to. Wii IS NOT that name.

Also... please. Please just stop, Kytim. o_O
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:22:25 PM by Rachtman »
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: January 26, 2012, 07:22:46 PM »
Personally if they are going to keep the Wii name I like a clearly indicator.

Wii Too

Would fit there need and Too sounds like Two which indicates iteration.

Wii X

X in the US means Extreme which is synonomous with more Power, Ho HO hO.

neWii

New Wii.  Its in the name.

The name should trigger easy logic to it being the next one.

WiiTu

NuWii or WiiNu

keeps the u, and is an easy play on words for marketing.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: January 26, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »
they could call it Wii² and then make the case a square. Then of course if they want to continue with the branding next time they can call the next one Wii³... I think you know where im going with this.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:52:48 PM by Lithium »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: January 26, 2012, 08:04:06 PM »
I'm vehemently opposed to anything with Wii in it...
Really? That's not the impression I got at all.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: January 26, 2012, 08:34:02 PM »
First of all, full disclosure: I really do not like the name Wii U. However, I'm open to Nintendo keeping the "Wii" name if they feel that it'll still attract the casual audience. However, I believe Nintendo has said that they hope to capture both the casual and core audiences with the Wii U. Unfortunately, herein lies the problem that I see with the name "Wii U". It seems the "Wii" name has lost it's "cred" with many core gamers, so they run the risk of continuing to alienate those who wouldn't give a system with a name like "Wii U" a second thought. On the flip side, Nintendo made so much money in the casual market with the Wii that they hope that it's brand recognition will continue to resonate with that crowd. The downside there is that, and correct me if I'm wrong, but many of those new casuals who purchased a Wii did not continue to purchase much software throughout the rest of it's tenure, which really makes me wonder how much of that demographic will bother to embrace the "Wii U", especially if the name does little to differentiate it from the Wii.

Nintendo is in a tough spot with trying to please both crowds. They're best bet might be to try and find a name that had the same impact of "Wii" -- ambiguous yet recognizable -- that won't scare away the casual crowd nor deter the core. Perhaps it will be new and exciting for the casuals, yet maybe with the hint of edge that long lost core gamers crave. Personally, I would just be happy for it to change from "Wii U".

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: January 26, 2012, 08:49:31 PM »
All this huffing and puffing about the name when it matters more to casual gamers than it does to the core. Any core gamer worth his salt knows that games make a system. Nintendo could call the console almost anything and core gamers would know whether they wanted one or not because they know what games are in the system. They read gaming websites and many post on message boards like this one. They would get over any name if it had the games they wanted to play. That's something Nintendo needs to work out with 3rd parties, not their marketing department.

The problem with the Wii U name always lied with casual gamers because they don't know anything and most likely are too lazy/unmotivated to find out for themselves. The Wii brand is strong. It makes sense to keep it if it's recognizable to casual gamers and core gamers care more about what the console offers. However, "Wii U" is a step away from "Wiii." It's problematic and in that way, it might be worth it to consider marketing a completely new name.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: January 26, 2012, 09:04:27 PM »
Nintendo could make "Wii" a more palatable by using it in conjunction with a hardcore word. Unfortunately, "U" isn't hardcore, so that doesn't work. But imagine if it was "Wii Juggernaut" or something like that. Then even though its still technically Wii, its a little more palatable to self respecting gamers.
is your sanity...

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: January 26, 2012, 09:19:59 PM »
Funny thing we're talking about the name, I just got this link from a friend on IM

Quote from: CVG
What's in a name? Nintendo considering Wii U rebrand, sources claim
Nintendo is considering changing the name of its next-generation console, Wii U, sources close to the platform holder have suggested.

and of course you can click the link for the full article
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:22:38 PM by Lithium »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: January 26, 2012, 09:22:37 PM »

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #5370 on: January 26, 2012, 09:23:02 PM »
missed that post obviously

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: January 26, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »
Remember last year when we were all trying to guess what the new name would be? We were coming up with things like Beam and stuff like that, but then at E3 Reggie ruthlessly smashed all our dreams by announcing it was "Wii U" which he might as have said "F U" instead, because that's how it came across to hardcore fans.

Well, now that the name is up in the air again there's a chance those names we discussed a year ago could be adopted. Names like "Stream" and "Beam" and so on, and even the codename "Cafe" are now possibilities once again. There is now hope again.
is your sanity...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: January 26, 2012, 09:33:09 PM »
they could call it Wii² and then make the case a square. Then of course if they want to continue with the branding next time they can call the next one Wii³... I think you know where im going with this.

Best name yet that actually gets the point across. I don't know how to make the tiny two but Wii Squared. I think it sounds cool and easily makes sense to all.

@Chozo

What is your problem? It doesn't matter what the name is, what ever comes out for it will be the same regardless.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:36:44 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: January 26, 2012, 09:37:06 PM »

Best name yet that actually gets the point across. I don't know how to make the tiny two but Wii Squared. I think it sounds cool and easily makes sense to all.

That tiny 2 would be easily missed by consumers, especially the elderly casual consumers with poor eyesight which Nintendo likes to cater to.

And cool? Hell no. Anything with "Wii" in the name is not cool.
is your sanity...

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: January 26, 2012, 10:29:53 PM »
How is it confusing? Because it keeps a successful brand name alive? And I didn't know you spoke to all 7 billion people in the world. It's fine if you think it's dumb, but please don't act like you know how most people feel. They didn't try to make it anti-hardcore, third party publishers did that when they stopped trying to put good games on it. Nintendo tried to make the system one that was for everyone.
"sounds dumb to...everyone." is a half-joke.   I haven't heard Nintendo or anyone else offer a good reason why it's not dumb.  I don't care that it's a dumb name but that doesn't make it any less dumb sounding.  And boy is it dumb.

And the Wii wasn't intentionally anti-hardcore?  old hardware, not HD, minimal online capabilities, Miis, simple controller, games built around imprecise and unresponsive motion controls... yeah, that's pretty anti-hardcore.  I'm glad they went that route.  Hardcore is boring.

No big games since 2009? A few off the top of my head that came out in 2010 or 2011: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Those are big games, they have also released more hardcore games that are not necessarily "big" (like Xenoblade Chronicles and Metroid: Other M).
Okay, a bunch of games that didn't sell anywhere near what Mario Kart, NSMB, Smash Bros, Wii Fit, or Wii Sports Resort sold.  Those might be games you or I liked but the vast majority of Wii owners didn't buy them.  I mean, Just Dance games sell better than any of those installments of Nintendo's main franchises but I'm not going to put a value judgment on that.  Nintendo has proven that they can do 20-30+ million sellers.  When their AAA titles don't even match the sales of Just Dance, I think it's safe to say that those aren't big games.