Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167705 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Nikkei Confirms 6" Touch Screen, Camera and Rechargeable Battery
« Reply #4500 on: June 03, 2011, 01:43:24 PM »
Nikkei Confirms Controller with Touch Screen, Camera and Rechargable Battery
http://www.nikkei.com/news/headline/article/g=96958A9C93819696E2E1E2EB988DE2E1E2E4E0E2E3E38698E2E2E2E2?n_cid=TW001
Quote from: Google Translation
"Wii" successor, the portable game controller
Nintendo is also equipped with touch screen camera functions
2011/6/4 2:09Electronic version of the Nihon Keizai Shimbun

Nintendo has also released a stationary game machines in mid-2012 "Wii" on the successor, to adopt the new touch panel controller. In addition to the games for a tablet device, such as operations, so that as a handheld game play. 06 Wii was released in the round of boom. Regain lost ground by introducing the successor of increased convenience.

The new controller is equipped with a touch of the screen size of about 6 inches. The controller also incorporates a secondary battery...

edit:
Andriasang translates (but doesn't share whats in the rest of the article)
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/04/nikkei_wii_controller_details/
Wii 2 will feature a new type of controller that includes a touch screen. The controller will give tablet-like controls to games and can also be used itself as a portable game machine.

The touch panel on the controller is six inches. The controller itself has a built in battery and includes a camera. The camera can be used for a variety of play opportunities -- for instance, a player making an avatar of himself for use in a game.

Nikkei says that Wii 2 will be released in the latter half of 2012.

A direct translation
Quote from: neo2046
>新型コントローラーã¯ã€ç”»é¢ã‚µã‚¤ã‚ºãŒç´„6インãƒã®ã‚¿ãƒƒãƒãƒ‘ãƒãƒ«ã‚’æ­è¼‰ã€‚コントローラーã«ã¯ï¼’次電池も内蔵ã—ã¦ãŠã‚Šã€
>テレビãŒä½¿ãˆãªã„状æ³ã§ã¯ã€ã‚³ãƒ³ãƒˆãƒ­ãƒ¼ãƒ©ãƒ¼ã‚’æºå¸¯åž‹ã‚²ãƒ¼ãƒ æ©Ÿã®ã‚ˆã†ã«åˆ©ç”¨ã™ã‚‹ã“ã¨ãŒã§ãる。
>æ®ãˆç½®ãåž‹ã¨ã—ã¦ä½¿ã†å ´åˆã¯ã€ä¾‹ãˆã°ç”»é¢ã‚’指先ã§ãªãžã£ã¦ãƒ†ãƒ¬ãƒ“ç”»é¢ä¸Šã®ã‚­ãƒ£ãƒ©ã‚¯ã‚¿ãƒ¼ã‚’å‹•ã‹ã™ã‚ˆã†ã«ã™ã‚‹ã€‚

> the new controller will include a around 6" touch panel, including rechargeable battery inside
> when not using TV, the controller is treated as a handheld
> when treating as a console, you play the game on the TV as usual
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:06:43 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #4501 on: June 03, 2011, 01:44:47 PM »
Boom goes the dynamite.

All abord the hype train, folks!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: June 03, 2011, 01:58:33 PM »
Boom goes the dynamite.

All abord the hype train, folks!
Woo WOooo
Fixed to not anger the Hype Train.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Nikkei Confirms Café Controller Details
« Reply #4503 on: June 03, 2011, 02:21:57 PM »
I updated with translations

>新型コントローラーã¯ã€ç”»é¢ã‚µã‚¤ã‚ºãŒç´„6インãƒã®ã‚¿ãƒƒãƒãƒ‘ãƒãƒ«ã‚’æ­è¼‰ã€‚コントローラーã«ã¯ï¼’次電池も内蔵ã—ã¦ãŠã‚Šã€
>テレビãŒä½¿ãˆãªã„状æ³ã§ã¯ã€ã‚³ãƒ³ãƒˆãƒ­ãƒ¼ãƒ©ãƒ¼ã‚’æºå¸¯åž‹ã‚²ãƒ¼ãƒ æ©Ÿã®ã‚ˆã†ã«åˆ©ç”¨ã™ã‚‹ã“ã¨ãŒã§ãる。
>æ®ãˆç½®ãåž‹ã¨ã—ã¦ä½¿ã†å ´åˆã¯ã€ä¾‹ãˆã°ç”»é¢ã‚’指先ã§ãªãžã£ã¦ãƒ†ãƒ¬ãƒ“ç”»é¢ä¸Šã®ã‚­ãƒ£ãƒ©ã‚¯ã‚¿ãƒ¼ã‚’å‹•ã‹ã™ã‚ˆã†ã«ã™ã‚‹ã€‚

> the new controller will include a around 6" touch panel, including rechargeable battery inside
> when not using TV, the controller is treated as a handheld
> when treating as a console, you play the game on the TV as usual

HYPE LEVEL OVER 9000!!!!!

I'm thinking a single screen, dual analog SuperDSiXL
where is that tablet controller mockup I was praising a month ago...?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:25:41 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: June 03, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »
Well it's official. The hype train has gone super sayian.

black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: June 03, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »
Well it's official. The hype train has gone super sayian.
How many more levels do we have to go after that... Will it do Fusion with Reggie.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4506 on: June 03, 2011, 04:51:58 PM »
If that happened, the world would explode.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: June 03, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »
I don't know.  This still worries me.  If this 6"screen business is indeed true, what are they sacrificing for the room and ergonomics? 

It needs to be positioned in such a way that it will be quick and easy to use on the fly, but also somewhere that allows our buttons and control sticks and things.  Unless, contrary to there word, they are forgoing buttons and everything is done on the touch screen.  Damn I hope not

I guess this will also mean that rumble is out.

Btw, lols at the 360 ad banner beneath the page.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 05:28:17 PM by Shorty McNostril »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: June 03, 2011, 05:34:01 PM »
I don't know.  This still worries me.  If this 6"screen business is indeed true, what are they sacrificing for the room and ergonomics? 

It needs to be positioned in such a way that it will be quick and easy to use on the fly, but also somewhere that allows our buttons and control sticks and things.  Unless, contrary to there word, they are forgoing buttons and everything is done on the touch screen.  Damn I hope not

Ironically that is not the oddest one I've seen before on here.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the 6 in. Screen is the whole most of the controller.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: June 03, 2011, 05:47:46 PM »
It has to have physical buttons or it'll be a pain to play games straight off the 6 inch screen.  You'll have to dedicate screen space for digital buttons then squeeze a smaller screen in the center. That'll suck unheard of ass.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: June 03, 2011, 05:50:12 PM »

This is what I have in mind

I'm expecting something sort of tablet-like but with traditional grips on the back for comfort.
But why would that mean rumble is out?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 06:46:16 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: June 03, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »
It has to have physical buttons or it'll be a pain to play games straight off the 6 inch screen.  You'll have to dedicate screen space for digital buttons then squeeze a smaller screen in the center. That'll suck unheard of ass.
Not exactly what I was thinking.  Haptic tech will one day yield buttons that will puff up from the screen.  Think about those young kids toys that are soft pieces of plastic.  That would be an interesting development.  All the basic tech is around but, I don't know if anyone has solved how to put it all together.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: June 03, 2011, 06:17:24 PM »
Iwata already stressed the importance of buttons, so they are not going anywhere.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: June 03, 2011, 06:19:49 PM »
I find the controller with the screen to be neat, but I hopwe that Nintendo actually gives us an evolution of the Wiimote and nunchcuck. I really liked the motion contro system and giving something better would be an even bigger incentive for me to buy the system.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: June 03, 2011, 06:22:24 PM »
What if it's something like this: http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/22550/page1/

Touch-screen technology has become wildly popular, thanks to smart phones designed for nimble fingers. But most touch screens have a major drawback: you need to keep a close eye on the screen as you tap, to make sure that you hit the right virtual buttons. As touch screens become more popular in other contexts, such as in-car navigation and entertainment systems, this lack of sensory feedback could become a dangerous distraction.

Now researchers at Carnegie Mellon University have developed buttons that pop out from a touch-screen surface. The design retains the dynamic display capabilities of a normal touch screen but can also produce tactile buttons for certain functions.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4515 on: June 03, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »
What if it's something like this: http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/22550/page1/

Touch-screen technology has become wildly popular, thanks to smart phones designed for nimble fingers. But most touch screens have a major drawback: you need to keep a close eye on the screen as you tap, to make sure that you hit the right virtual buttons. As touch screens become more popular in other contexts, such as in-car navigation and entertainment systems, this lack of sensory feedback could become a dangerous distraction.

Now researchers at Carnegie Mellon University have developed buttons that pop out from a touch-screen surface. The design retains the dynamic display capabilities of a normal touch screen but can also produce tactile buttons for certain functions.

Oh my, that would make texting while driving so much easier again since I'll know where the buttons are by feel an not have to look down all the time.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: June 03, 2011, 06:27:41 PM »
Texting while driving...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: June 03, 2011, 06:35:14 PM »
I just thought of what the tablet controller could do for the Virtual Console. What it could happen is that each controller could appear on the screen with Haptic buttons. For example, while playing Genesis games a Genesis controller appears on the screen shaped by Haptics.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: June 03, 2011, 06:41:37 PM »
Angry Birds will come to the Cafe.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: June 03, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »
I'm glad to hear it has a RECHARGABLE battery in it.  Using AA batteries in the Wii was almost as embarassingly out-of-date as ignoring HDTV connections.

Let's see if the normal controller stuff is on there.  If they're not then it's an instant no-purchase from me.  Unless it has the normal stuff on there too, it could power NASA and still be stuck in casual land.

Good to hear about the TV as well.  Thank God those "the system is the controller" suggestions aren't true.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: June 03, 2011, 06:55:58 PM »
it could power NASA

I seen some show once about the space shuttles and they used really primitive computers which are basically the same as when they were built, and they said odds are the computer in your wrist watch is more powerful. I don't know if they meant that literally or if they were just exaggerating, but anyway the point is NASA probably requires less computer power than one might think.

Now, SETI on the other hand...
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4521 on: June 03, 2011, 07:01:50 PM »
I wouldn't expect NASA to have relatively new hardware, but you'd think their hardware would have been considered highly advanced when new, so that even years down the road, they'd still be capable.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: June 03, 2011, 07:32:55 PM »
NASA accomplished its greatest feats back in the 1960s-19702 such as when they landed on the moon and sent out all those probes and so on... and of course the only computers available back then were those hulking behemoths which were the size of a house yet no more powerful than a calculator.

Its weird how computers have gotten so much more powerful yet less and less stuff is getting accomplished anymore.
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4523 on: June 03, 2011, 07:34:15 PM »
I guess nobody just feels like it anymore.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: June 03, 2011, 07:37:56 PM »
Its a brave new world.