Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167689 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #3825 on: April 26, 2011, 02:07:24 PM »
A new mock-up, and my favorite so far

just missing the IR lights and a view where we can see the shoulder buttons and triggers.

Has potential but, I think both the D-Pad and Circle Pad 2 are to much in for a rectangle controller. Still want it to be more Wavebird like.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: April 26, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Thing is, if you look at your thumbs, they move in a radius not up and down. That's why all the console controllers have the analog sticks (or dpad and analog stick) inset further than the top buttons. The 3DS has them above and below each other, but it's not as comfortable.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: April 26, 2011, 02:38:21 PM »
How do you reach the L&R buttons with that mockup?  It just looks like the controller is too tall to make it comfortable.

It's a nice looking mock up and I appreciate the effort people go to make these things but this just isn't usable from a ergonomics point of view.  Anyone making a mock up needs to stop and hold their hands out as if they were holding the controller.  For most of these it would be cramp city.

I figure the screen will be higher vertically than the rest of the controller.  There is a limited amount of space between the bottom of the controller and where you can put the L&R buttons where the average user does not have to stretch out his hands.  If the screen does not fit into this real estate then needs to stick out of the top.

One thing to keep in mind is that kids have to use these things too.  They cannot be designed only for giant adult male hands.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: April 26, 2011, 02:44:30 PM »

You need more imagination man. you have a 2D brain in a 3D world.

I think it's perfect and just needs a charging dock for it to stand upright and we are in business.
I'm sure I will be disappointed by what Nintendo has to show us if it doesn't look similar to this now... atleast until I hold it and forget all about this mock-up

edit:

I think the dimensions are a little off on this pic, but it was made to show how it was held, so just imagine it a little smaller.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:48:49 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: April 26, 2011, 02:50:55 PM »
I stand by what I said.  They still look to far.  I move the both out so their edge lines didn't match the screens one.  The Dpad Left edge would start about where the circle indention ends, drawing a straight line down from it, and the Circle pad indention right side be closer to the y buttons right side.  It is a picture though and a lot of it matters on how they did the shoulder buttons and back grips.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: April 26, 2011, 03:02:16 PM »
This was posted, right? http://www.irwebcasting.com/110426/87/258092c49e/index.html
Ah the Background.. Ok I'll watch the rest at home.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: April 26, 2011, 03:06:46 PM »

I stand by what I said.  They still look to far.  I move the both out so their edge lines didn't match the screens one.  The Dpad Left edge would start about where the circle indention ends, drawing a straight line down from it, and the Circle pad indention right side be closer to the y buttons right side.  It is a picture though and a lot of it matters on how they did the shoulder buttons and back grips.
Feel free to edit it to your liking, but it's the look and concept that I'm digging.

Besides, you are talking about moving them in about a centimeter in either direction. It's just a mock up, not a prototype, no need to nit-pick the minute details that would be ironed out with a test build.

This was posted, right? http://www.irwebcasting.com/110426/87/258092c49e/index.html
The text version is in the sales thread.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 03:08:44 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: April 26, 2011, 03:58:14 PM »
I Frankensteined that mock-up to the gist of what I think it be like in that style.  Though are new admin at work is starting to snoop so I'm relegated to the phone. I'll post it tonight

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: April 26, 2011, 04:42:44 PM »
I agree with Ceric that the d-pad is too far away.  Looking at the pic where the girl is holding it, she isn't actually using the thing.  She's just holding it and watching.  Now imagine actually using the L&R buttons, analog stick and face buttons at the same time while still holding onto it.  I don't think it works.  It looks like it would slip out of your hands.

I think the end result will look more like a controller so that it forms better to your hands.  Good controllers rest in your hands.  This looks more like you support it with your fingers and thumbs which is no good because you need those to work the controls.  It also looks very top heavy.

It looks cool as hell but I think a tablet focused design will be too awkward to play any sort of game that requires good reflexes.  I think something more resembling a videogame handheld is more what to expect.  That is a design proven to work.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: April 26, 2011, 04:51:42 PM »
Im pretty sure that chick is from an ipad ad.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: April 26, 2011, 07:27:20 PM »
Now imagine actually using the L&R buttons,

BnM posted another picture with a red arrow point to where the L&R buttons could be positioned, did you see that? They don't need to be on the top of the controller like we're used to. There can be a part that juts out in the back and the buttons can be on that.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: April 26, 2011, 07:30:32 PM »

This is more what I was thinking with this design.  I'm drawing up a mock-up of what I think it should be.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: April 26, 2011, 07:47:24 PM »
That mock-up looks entirely too bulky and not form-fitting. The person in the picture has to stretch her thumbs to reach most of the inputs on it, that would be exponentially uncomfortable.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: April 26, 2011, 07:55:44 PM »
There needs to be grips on it. I understand the tablet look is sleek and modern and cool looking, but its not very comfortable or ergonomic. I'd rather have grips, even if that makes it look cheaper and more "kiddie". I don't really care how it looks... form must follow function.
is your sanity...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3840 on: April 26, 2011, 08:19:37 PM »
While the positioning of the buttons and sticks need to be tweaked, I'm digging the iPad-like design. though I would hope we can use regular controllers as well. Maybe let us synch WiiMotes? Because it'd be a shame if we loose the best thing to come from the Wii Phenomenon (IR FPS controls).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: April 26, 2011, 08:22:28 PM »
This picture of what the controller might look like seems like a good idea of what might be the final product.

http://technobuffalo.technobuffalo.netdna-cdn.com/files/2011/04/Project-Cafe-Controllers.jpg
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: April 26, 2011, 10:51:03 PM »
While the positioning of the buttons and sticks need to be tweaked, I'm digging the iPad-like design. though I would hope we can use regular controllers as well. Maybe let us synch WiiMotes? Because it'd be a shame if we loose the best thing to come from the Wii Phenomenon (IR FPS controls).
This was my idea for that
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg669031#msg669031
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/Cericme/HackedTogetherWiiStream.jpg

This is more what I was thinking with this design.  I'm drawing up a mock-up of what I think it should be.

I think that completely ruins the look. Imagine the shoulder buttons in the same place, but behind the tablet like the side view pic I posted. Also imagine those grips to be very similar to the back of the 360 controller including done analog triggers.

Its perfect as is, maybe just a little shorter.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:56:57 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: April 26, 2011, 11:25:48 PM »
I don't really like it. Aesthetically, it's slick. But I don't think that form factor would work. I think the controller would be much more comfortable and lighter if the screen was on top of a standard controller. So when you are holding it, it feels like a normal controller but looks like an iPad in portrait mode. So it would still be a flat surface on the front, but taller rather than wider.

That way, when I hold the controller with one hand, it doesn't feel unbalanced and I can easily manipulate the touch screen with the other hand.

I know what your thinking, this mock up allows you to access the touchscreen with your thumbs, but I don't think that's possible. Not with the added width two joysticks, a d-pad, and buttons add. So it all comes back to how comfortable can I make the device when holding it one handed.

Go ahead and try it out. Grab a book and hold it in one hand in portrait and landscape. You'll see my point.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:27:43 PM by The Unagi »

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: April 26, 2011, 11:40:04 PM »

This one looks more comfortable to hold over a longer period of time.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: April 26, 2011, 11:54:04 PM »
I don't really like it. Aesthetically, it's slick. But I don't think that form factor would work. I think the controller would be much more comfortable and lighter if the screen was on top of a standard controller. So when you are holding it, it feels like a normal controller but looks like an iPad in portrait mode. So it would still be a flat surface on the front, but taller rather than wider.

That way, when I hold the controller with one hand, it doesn't feel unbalanced and I can easily manipulate the touch screen with the other hand.

You are forgetting that the controller is supposed to stream games to it. how are we supposed to play 19:9 games on a controller with a 9:16 screen? it wouldn't work unles syou plan was to shrink it down into 2 square DS like screens.

I know what your thinking, this mock up allows you to access the touchscreen with your thumbs, but I don't think that's possible. Not with the added width two joysticks, a d-pad, and buttons add. So it all comes back to how comfortable can I make the device when holding it one handed.

Go ahead and try it out. Grab a book and hold it in one hand in portrait and landscape. You'll see my point.

Grips on the back like a 360 pad. You are all ignoring the fact that this thing will have shoulder buttons and a trigger on the back.
Look at the side view again: http://i.imgur.com/Wh7hg.jpg
this will have the shoulder buttons in the same place as Ceric's "redesign" only it will be behind the front surface of the controller.

It will be far more comfortable to hold than your 3DS and exactly like holding your console controller that happens to look like a tablet from the front.

If it even pleases you, you can make the unit a little shorter

so that it won't look so tall, but almost all of you are ignoring the grips on the back where the the other buttons go.

edit:
these mock-ups look pretty good too
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:10:22 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: April 27, 2011, 12:01:47 AM »
Someone is either really dedicated at passing off a fake or....

Fake or not, this one keeps popping up
I'm also sure that this next pic is a fake, but this rumor thread don't discriminate.

http://i.imgur.com/zuH7x.jpg

That screen doesn't look 6", but I like the ideas behind the screen in the controller.

Another pic
http://i.imgur.com/ZzLcf.jpg

Innovation Reinvented

Project Cafe is simply the most development friendly SDK the industry has ever seen. Deliver unparalleled next generation performance at current generation cost. It doesn't get any easier than this.

-easy portability from PC, Xbox 360
-anytime live update past release
-Integrated Ai-Live framework

http://i.imgur.com/6BVpS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yNj6o.jpg

Looks a little small in those pics according to the IGN rumor (about the size of the Original Xbox).
Actually it looks a little small regardless of what size IGN said. That thing looks to be a little smaller than a Wii.

These are obviously fake and the reflection looks very photoshopped in the first pic, but the light is on in both pics and the console is not even plugged in.
http://wii2blog.com/another-leaked-image-of-project-cafe/

They are really dedicated to passing off a fake

Look at the size of the cables in comparison to the disc drive slot.
Either this thing takes mini disc, or those are some super duper shielded cables.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: April 27, 2011, 01:30:34 AM »
There is no reason why the screen has to be 9x16. The width of the bottom should be able to fit the screen just fine. Maybe using an iPad wasn't the best imagery. Just imagine a Driod on top of a regular controller.

And you are also forgetting that if it had 360 like grips, then both sides of that mock-up would be pretty heavy. So it would be heavy-light-heavy.

For that reason, unless the whole unit is extremely light itself, it might be a struggle for someone to keep it balanced while messing with commands on the screen.

If it were instead:
Light
Heavy

It would be a lot more comfortable to hold it one handed since it would be essentially be holding a standard controller/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:32:33 AM by The Unagi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: April 27, 2011, 01:42:25 AM »
The thickness of the unit would obviously be on the bottom as that is where the controller parts, the grips and the battery would be located. If this thing is truly a client to the console and has no real independent processing onboard, then not only would it be kinda cheap to manufacture, but pretty light overall as the screen probably weighs next to nothing.

take a 360 controller and tape a box of pencils to the front. Now hold it one handed.... problem with the weight? probably not. I'd imagine the "tablet" to be something like that when it comes to weight.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: April 27, 2011, 02:05:07 AM »
Looks like IGN has decided to weigh in on rumors surrounding Project Cafe
http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1164332p1.html