Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3168026 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #3700 on: April 22, 2011, 08:14:18 AM »
If Nintendo is anything it is Traditional with their R&D.  Black Op and constantly on-going.

I expect the graphics on a technical level to blow PS360 out of the water. To the untrained eye (99% of the masses) you might not really notice all that much of a difference, but once you compare the capabilities as a bunch of numbers and simultaneous effects, I'm expecting to be very impressed by what I see.

Here is a chart of what we may be able to expect depending on which R700/HD 4XXX class GPU we get.

To put things into perspective:

Xenos (360): 48 shaders, 16 TFU, 8 ROPs

HD 4350 (Super low-end R7xx GPU): 80 shaders, 16 TFU, 4 ROPs.
HD 4650 (Low end, gaming grade GPU): 320 shaders, 32 TFU, 8 ROPs.
HD 4730 (Low-Mid end GPU): 640 shaders, 32 TFU, 16 ROPs.
HD 4870x2* ("family" highest end GPU): 1600 shaders, 80 TFU, 32 ROPS.

*also codenamed R700

So depending on what they meant by R700 GPU, we could be getting a beast of a processor.

Tradition states it will be the cheapest one there but, there looks to be a bit of a core infrastructure change between the R700 series to the next so, to keep the development close to the 360 we may be getting a beefier R700 then what is posted.  I hope they do what they did with the Gamecube and pay attention to clock cycles and like making them where all the parts play well together.  I'm really hoping for an optical out this time. Also with the recent efficiency and smallness push really get away with something as big as the 360 original and keep there style card...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: April 22, 2011, 09:44:28 AM »
Remember that the HD 4xxx series is from 2008 and there are 2 newer generations of PC GPU's
I have one from the HD 5xxx series (an HD 5670 to be exact), and even with multiple browser windows up in the background, Win7 and other software running in the background, I haven't really had an issue with any game that I've played outside of a little slowdown here and there with everything always being maxed out @ 1080p.

I got mine relatively cheap considering I only bought one, and the 4xxx series will be 3 gens old by the time Wii2 comes out. I would assume their GPU would be pretty cheap, even if they went with the high end one, especially if they really are combining it onto one chip with the CPU.

& since we're posting quotes, I had a few others besides the one above, but had to restart my computer.
Here's one;
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/110128qa/index.html
Quote from: Iwata @ Investors Meeting, Jan. 2011
If such "rich experiences" were actually the only uniqueness, home consoles would lose their meaning when battery-operated portable devices become capable of reproducing similar rich experiences. On the contrary, and this is something which started to be discussed when Wii made its debut in 2006, bigger screen TVs were entering our living rooms around that time, which enabled people to use their living rooms for a more broad range of purposes. More specifically, living rooms had morphed into play areas where people could move their bodies. This is one of the unique entertainment features that home console systems, not handheld devices, were able to realize.

With this as an example, even such a distinction that "home console machines provide rich experiences but handheld devices cannot" will change as time goes by, and I believe that there will always be unique experiences that only home consoles can realize. Nintendo has to make efforts to offer the public something only our home console systems can achieve. There are also a number of restrictions with home consoles such as you have to be in front of a TV set, all the players must get together in one place and you cannot play if someone else is watching a TV program. I feel that an increasing number of people, who are playing with a variety of games, are saying, "I used to be able to start home console games rather casually, just whenever I felt like playing with them, but nowadays, because I am used to the easy-to-start handheld game devices, I have to have a rather strong determination to start playing with home console games." I understand that the situation surrounding home consoles is changing. Home consoles have to provide something unique to users that is only possible on home consoles in addition to the "rich experiences." For example, we must focus on what kinds of unique entertainment can be created when a home console can reproduce its images on a large monitor screen which can be viewed by several people at the same time. I think that in the mid and long term, the mission of home console machines will change in this fashion.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: April 23, 2011, 12:21:27 AM »
01net says that the Wii tablet controller resembles the uDraw tablet in style and that this:

is the closest mock-up to what the actual controller looks like at this point (design could change before release).

They also said the screen is in 16:9 ratio with a resolution of about 800x500 (sub-HD)

They said that heir sources can't confirm some details from IGN such as the SNES look and "Stream" name because they only have dev kits and the look of the system, the controller and even the name could change before actual release or reveal.

They also mention how June 2012 is the expected release date
http://www.01net.com/editorial/531993/project-cafe-quelques-precisions-sur-la-manette-et-le-streaming/

"Streaming plays a central role in the attraction of this "Project Café. The console will be able to stream wirelessly streaming multiple types of streams (different media, games) to the knobs.This will make it possible to play without turning on the TV, or start a frenzied games on the big screen, and continue uninterrupted into the toilet. A real revolution!"
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:48:56 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: April 23, 2011, 12:26:59 AM »
I approve of the left analog stick being positioned above the D-pad, but I'm not sure the right one positioned above the buttons is a good idea. If they had it like the GC or xbox controller it would be perfect, but this... I dunno.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: April 23, 2011, 12:47:39 AM »
FYI BnM, the 4870x2 is two GPUs on one die.  I highly doubt they would use a dual GPU setup.  The 4850, at last price found was $80, so that means it probably cost around $50 to make.  That sounds closer to the price level we could expect.  Maybe even one between a 4850 and 4870.  There's also the 4890 that was pretty sweet as well.  My hope is that they use the R700 architecture but place it on a 40nm die instead of the 55nm die that the original R700 cards were built on.  It'd make it cheaper and cooler that way.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3705 on: April 23, 2011, 12:52:41 AM »
I know about the 4870x2, but that specific cards code name was the R700, so depending on what the "sources" meant by R700 base for the GPU, who knows what card they are using. I'm not ruling anything out, and I don't think they are using a straight off the shelf design. I'm sure it will be full customized and only based on one of those designs.

I also editing in a quote from the link in my last post.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:56:24 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: April 23, 2011, 06:02:44 AM »
So Much for golf and bowling.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: April 23, 2011, 08:30:37 AM »
01net says that the Wii tablet controller resembles the uDraw tablet in style and that this:

is the closest mock-up to what the actual controller looks like at this point (design could change before release).

They also said the screen is in 16:9 ratio with a resolution of about 800x500 (sub-HD)

They said that heir sources can't confirm some details from IGN such as the SNES look and "Stream" name because they only have dev kits and the look of the system, the controller and even the name could change before actual release or reveal.

They also mention how June 2012 is the expected release date
http://www.01net.com/editorial/531993/project-cafe-quelques-precisions-sur-la-manette-et-le-streaming/

"Streaming plays a central role in the attraction of this "Project Café. The console will be able to stream wirelessly streaming multiple types of streams (different media, games) to the knobs.This will make it possible to play without turning on the TV, or start a frenzied games on the big screen, and continue uninterrupted into the toilet. A real revolution!"
If thats the controller.  Lets not.  That is a horrible design and frankly if Nintendo is putting that out I'll go find a Shark for them to jump because, that is where there hardware design is going.  Everything handheld after the original GBA hasn't been that great either.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3708 on: April 23, 2011, 01:14:23 PM »
Except that you can still use the Wii Remotes (and Motion+) with it. ;)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: April 23, 2011, 02:35:59 PM »
"Everything handheld after the original GBA hasn't been that great either."

Really? You didn't like the GB:SP or the DS Lite or even the GB: Micro?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3710 on: April 23, 2011, 03:15:24 PM »
I think what he's mainly talking about is the aesthetic design of the handhelds/consoles. They're all plain or "boxy" looking. The GBA really stood out because of it's aesthetic design... had some angular lines with some really cool color choices. I, to this day, still feel like the original GBA has a "cooler" and more ergonomic design style.  Whereas, the Wii and the DS line before it, have taken on this "Apple" style of design (as much as I love Apple products). But I don't feel like this design style really works for the video game realm.

I'm ready to see Nintendo go back to its days of really interesting looking design choices... consoles and controllers that had flair to them. I still LOVE the way the N64 console looks with its curved top, and the GameCube controller is still my favorite controller of all time. It just felt so right holding it.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: April 23, 2011, 03:21:15 PM »
I wish they'd bring back see-through. The see-through N64 was the ****.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: April 23, 2011, 03:33:09 PM »
I wish they'd bring back see-through. The see-through N64 was the ****.

Wii 2 launch colors: Black, White and see-through.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: April 23, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »
I made 3 quick mock-ups this morning. Thought I would post them here and see what you guys think.
I didn't get the screens to be exactly 16:9, didn't do a side, top, back, etc. version, but you get the point
2 shoulder buttons and 2 analog triggers on back of all shells.

version 1: Wiimote 2.0 insert, horizontal screen above controller, shell has extra analog and d-pad

version 2: Wiimote 2.0v2 insert, horizontal screen next to controller, shell has 4 buttons and analog

version 3: Wiimote 2.0v2 insert, vertical screen next to controller, shell has 4 buttons and analog

This way both new controllers come in each box and both new controllers will be supported from the start.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: April 23, 2011, 04:20:15 PM »
What about the nunchuck? Everyone keeps forgetting about that.
is your sanity...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3715 on: April 23, 2011, 04:32:39 PM »
Reminds me of

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: April 23, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »
I'd get back into the mockup business, but **** it. I had 1000 people posting "fake" on my youtube page when the fucking title says its a mockup. Then people who were also stupid would be like "well no, it has this, or that", when nobody knew at the time. Months later. Does anybody manage to look at the date of the video? A good 4 months before it was revealed? I just deleted the video so i wouldn't get anymore stupid messages. It did teach me a thing or so about tagging a video and getting hits.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:07:04 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3717 on: April 23, 2011, 05:17:14 PM »
Eh, it's YouTube. Somebody the other day posted a comment on our channel asking whether Dream Trigger 3D was the sequel to Chrono Trigger.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: April 23, 2011, 05:31:29 PM »
It is painful to read comments on Youtube. What you could have done is disabled comments for that video.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: April 23, 2011, 06:47:54 PM »
Reminds me of
  [uDraw tablet]
It's supposed to. Rumor was that it looked similar to that.
What about the nunchuck? Everyone keeps forgetting about that.
I've already posted my nunchuck 2.0, Didn't think it was necessary to post again.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3720 on: April 23, 2011, 07:40:11 PM »
Wasn't it THQ that made the uDraw tablet thing? It might just be a coincidence, but this might be an odd case where Nintendo copies someone else's idea instead of vice versa.
is your sanity...

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: April 23, 2011, 08:38:08 PM »
A $130 CONTROLLER?

GET OUTTA HERE
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: April 23, 2011, 09:55:45 PM »
"Everything handheld after the original GBA hasn't been that great either."

Really? You didn't like the GB:SP or the DS Lite or even the GB: Micro?
Nope.  The GBA SP gave me cramps and just didn't feel right.  The DS Phat Cuts into me.  DS Lite I can't seem to go as long as I did on my GBA and eventually starts tweaking my thumbs.  The GBA Micro was ok to be fair its the only one I haven't had long play time on.  To this day I find my Original GBA to be the most ergonomic.  Now my 3DS has the best screen and I really dig the Circle Pad, its like the NES Max controller which I almost used exclusively in NES days because I liked how it felt,  I wished on it that the bottom curved like the GBA because those corners can dig in sometimes.

Also I want the first color to be Indigo.  My Cube, GBC ,and GBA where all Indigo.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: April 23, 2011, 10:17:04 PM »
Except that you can still use the Wii Remotes (and Motion+) with it. ;)

But developers will use the Wii Remotes as much as they have used Gamecube controllers this generation.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: April 23, 2011, 10:59:19 PM »
Wasn't it THQ that made the uDraw tablet thing? It might just be a coincidence, but this might be an odd case where Nintendo copies someone else's idea instead of vice versa.
Or maybe Nintendo had planned to release something like that a while ago (Mario Paint?) but decided against it, but THQ had an idea to use with it so they finished co-development with Nintendo (which would explain why they never released it for another console) like Ubisoft did with the motion camera for Your Shape.