Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3168225 times)

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #3550 on: April 17, 2011, 10:31:32 PM »
For everyone saying, "But how will I play Wii games with that controller?" or, "What about the nunchuck?"  You won't play Wii games with this controller.  You'll use your Wii remotes you already have.  Just like the way play Gamecube games on the Wii with your Wavebirds, not Wii remotes.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3551 on: April 17, 2011, 11:31:11 PM »
You know what I have been thinking...

what if the controller is the Wiimote + controller and that is it.

Seriously, the technology in that controller is tight, and many people have already invested a lot of money in those controllers.  But then you say, WAIT!!!  What about better motion controls to move and whatnot, the rumored controller with a screen and Gamecube functionality.

Here is what I am thinking...controllers are all forwards compatible with the Super Wii.  The added function will come from a much better sensor bar that has an additional camera in it, and other features to make for better control using existing Wii controllers. 

Then what about the new controller?  I see IGN playing a semantics game here.  I believe Nintendo will push hard for 3DS controller interactivity, or probably BETTER original DS controller interactivity.  Why not take from Apple and have everything buddy/buddy with each other?

Finally, I see controller sales being increased by a new controller component the Nunchuk + which will include better motion control. 

So with this what do you get in the box of a Super Wii then?  1 Wiimote + controller /  1 Nunchuk + / 1 classic controller.

If you are a casual gamer with the Wiimote + controllers then you ALREADY have accessories for the new system which will help the transition cost.  However, you still need to buy more with the Wiimotion +.  The 3DS will an additional controller which you can stream games to.  What games can you stream?  Special mini games for main series games, additional control options to play with 3DS, and last and most important...Virtual console games....though somehow extremely limited.  Like you can load 1-2 virtual console games into the 3DS to play on the go.

This is what I expect most out of the Super Wii...and makes the MOST logical sense of all the rumors.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: April 17, 2011, 11:37:08 PM »
What about the 6" touchscreen? Are you adding the 3DS screens together?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3553 on: April 17, 2011, 11:43:46 PM »
Perhaps...I am thinking some of the information is not accurate...or purposefully misinformation. 

But I also could see the 2 screens being connected as plausible as well.  I am just throwing out my theory...and granted it isn't perfect, but it seems logical.  Everything seems to be the most practical move for Nintendo, except maybe the DS/3DS connectivity...but I see that as a bonus feature to link the 2 systems together and for them to promote each other than as a full controller for the new system.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: April 18, 2011, 11:21:42 AM »
This is and interesting compilation of the Mock-Ups.
http://dvice.com/archives/2011/04/a-collection-of.php
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3555 on: April 18, 2011, 01:34:26 PM »
This is and interesting compilation of the Mock-Ups.
http://dvice.com/archives/2011/04/a-collection-of.php

They didn't add this one

http://i53.tinypic.com/2afkjva.jpg

this one

or this one

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: April 18, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »
That last one is on ipad on a new psp.  How would you even use the second one...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: April 18, 2011, 01:41:46 PM »
I don't like that last one. Everything is too small and cramped too closely together. Plus the screen is huge and would make it very top heavy. Who would want to use something like that for console gaming? It also looks like it would break or get scratched very easily. All it would take is for someone to leave it on the floor and then someone to step on it and that's $100 down the toilet. Even though its not just kids who are going to be using it, the thing needs to be built durably because even adults can be clumsy at times.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:43:55 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: April 18, 2011, 01:50:25 PM »
Some of those mock-ups don't really take into account any sort of ergonomics or even practicality.  In some of them your hands would cover the screen!  There are a cool decent ones but what I notice with them is they don't get the screen big enough.  A 6" screen is pretty damn big.  A lot of the mockups put it at a GBA sort of size.  That seems more practical to me but it isn't what Nintendo is rumoured to be doing.

I maintain that these controllers are going to cost a lot of money and I question how essential the screen and camera are going to be to justify the cost.  Both concepts have been in place on the DS and neither has demonstrated itself to me to be anything but a novelty.  I like having options but the controller shouldn't cost an arm and leg and I don't see how it can't.

If I'm going to pay $100 for a controller that screen better get used all the time.  But touchscreen controls suck so I don't want it to be used all the time.  I want Nintendo to pretend it doesn't exist or I'm going to get more Phantom Hourglass bullshit.  So it's like either I pay for something that is rarely used or it gets shoehorned into every game, making them control like crap.  There is no untapped potential for a touchscreen here.  Nintendo has had a touchscreen as a standard for seven years now.  We're not going to get anything more than what we already got on the DS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: April 18, 2011, 04:20:17 PM »
I have some concerns about how content is streamed back and forth between the controller screen and the console. What sort of content is it going to be? If its HD/3D stuff then it might take a long time to load the data back and forth, and the more intensive the demands the graphics impose on the controller the more powerful the hardware in the controller needs to be in order to handle it. This might create a new sort of problem we never had to deal with before: controller loading time. Are we going to have to wait for the data to transfer back and forth like we had to wait for the PS1 to load games from a CD? And what about lag? I could see people dying in a game needlessly because it takes too long for their input on the touchscreen to get registered and then sent back to the console for processing.

Plus we all know people are really going to be using the touchscreen to draw pictures of Hitler and penises and Swastikas and other offensive immature stuff. I don't look forward to getting bombarded with that crap when I'm playing online, but we all know that's what will happen. Its already happened in online DS games like Mario Kart. Now its going to be happening on consoles too, and unlike with offensive text there's really no way it can be automatically filtered out.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 04:27:04 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: April 18, 2011, 04:43:51 PM »
I have some concerns about how content is streamed back and forth between the controller screen and the console. What sort of content is it going to be? If its HD/3D stuff then it might take a long time to load the data back and forth, and the more intensive the demands the graphics impose on the controller the more powerful the hardware in the controller needs to be in order to handle it. This might create a new sort of problem we never had to deal with before: controller loading time. Are we going to have to wait for the data to transfer back and forth like we had to wait for the PS1 to load games from a CD? And what about lag? I could see people dying in a game needlessly because it takes too long for their input on the touchscreen to get registered and then sent back to the console for processing.

Plus we all know people are really going to be using the touchscreen to draw pictures of Hitler and penises and Swastikas and other offensive immature stuff. I don't look forward to getting bombarded with that crap when I'm playing online, but we all know that's what will happen. Its already happened in online DS games like Mario Kart. Now its going to be happening on consoles too, and unlike with offensive text there's really no way it can be automatically filtered out.
Think about how your TV gets information from over the air.  I one way stream that is decoded.  Now think about Cable mostly still a one way stream that is being decoded but a bit of usage data is passed back.  The screen would be essentially like a TV with an over the air signal and just decoding what Super Wii tells it and when you click on the screen it just send where you clicked and probably up and down as well.  What we're really talking about is probably less data from the touchscreen portion then the hard buttons.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: April 18, 2011, 04:50:18 PM »
Yeah, I didn't think of controller lag.  I kinda figure Nintendo would consider that to be pretty important.  But then I find motion control to be pretty inaccurate and they didn't seem to care about that.  But then the reaction time was fine, it was more like it didn't know I did anything or thought I did when I didn't or thought I did something else.  I still think Nintendo would not be okay with something as blatant as controller lag.

There has been talk about being able to download stuff to the controller and use it by itself.  For such a thing to be possible the controller would need some sort of basic videogame hardware in itself.

This all seems much more affordable if you shrink the screen down.  Perhaps it's supposed to be 6 cm and those that started the rumour don't know metric units so they assumed 6".  6 cm is 2.4" and is a little bit smaller than the original Game Boy screen or an iPod screen.  That wouldn't work well for a touchscreen though, but it would be a very reasonable size for a controller screen and probably wouldn't jack the cost of the controller to all hell.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: April 18, 2011, 05:13:32 PM »

Think about how your TV gets information from over the air.  I one way stream that is decoded.  Now think about Cable mostly still a one way stream that is being decoded but a bit of usage data is passed back.  The screen would be essentially like a TV with an over the air signal and just decoding what Super Wii tells it and when you click on the screen it just send where you clicked and probably up and down as well.  What we're really talking about is probably less data from the touchscreen portion then the hard buttons.

I'll repost this since it might have been overlooked

AMD demonstrating HD streaming tech.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF8omefUZik

Less lag than your TV or monitor over a wireless stream. the data streaming is not the problem.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: April 18, 2011, 05:48:52 PM »
None of the mock-ups look comfortable to hold. The more I hear about a touchscreen on the controller, the more awful the idea sounds.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: April 18, 2011, 06:24:39 PM »
This has probably already been brought up, but the screen on the controller idea is really just an extension of the speaker in the Wiimote idea.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: April 18, 2011, 06:30:20 PM »
Does this mean we will finally get to have a Zelda Four Swords Adventure sequel?  If so, I'm all for the controller with a screen. :)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3566 on: April 18, 2011, 06:37:58 PM »
A touch screen on the controller is an interesting idea, but I really can't believe people are running with this "six inches" part. That's entirley too big. This is still a console, not a tablet hub.
Personally, I liked the Dreamcasts's VMU thing, but felt that it could've been more.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: April 18, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »
This has probably already been brought up, but the screen on the controller idea is really just an extension of the speaker in the Wiimote idea.
What games used the speaker creatively? I have mine muted in the system options because the sound quality is terrible.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3568 on: April 18, 2011, 06:57:40 PM »
I tend to keep my Wiimotes muted when I am not playing games but tend to turn it on when playing games. Few games that come to mind is No More Heroes and Twilight Princess.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: April 18, 2011, 06:59:15 PM »
What games used the speaker creatively? I have mine muted in the system options because the sound quality is terrible.

With Wii Sports I felt having the "pock" sound effect in tennis coming from the remote itself was pretty clever.  But other than that I don't think I've ever even noticed the speaker.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3570 on: April 18, 2011, 07:14:05 PM »
May I ask how you would know what games use it well when you always have it muted?  Just because it's not great quality does not make it a bad idea.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: April 18, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »
I don't know which games used it creatively, that's why I was asking.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: April 18, 2011, 09:00:27 PM »
No more Heroes 1&2 used it as a phone.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: April 18, 2011, 09:16:14 PM »
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:18:18 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: April 18, 2011, 09:20:30 PM »
Wii 2 controller revealed:

Note the metallic wrist strap and the three analog sticks beneath the 6" HD screen.
is your sanity...