Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167771 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #2850 on: October 04, 2010, 09:25:12 PM »
Of course there's going to be a Virtual Console. There will always be someone who wants to spend $8 on, say, A Link to the Past (they'd probably spend more if Nintendo charged more). Why wouldn't Nintendo want to make even more money on 20+ year old games?

The Classic NES Series proved this, in the United States alone Nintendo sold about 550K copies of Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros. at $30 (and that was just a straight port).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: October 04, 2010, 09:30:34 PM »
Of course there's going to be a Virtual Console. There will always be someone who wants to spend $8 on, say, A Link to the Past (they'd probably spend more if Nintendo charged more). Why wouldn't Nintendo want to make even more money on 20+ year old games?

Nintendo might have let the Virtual console slow down purposely to allow the remaining games to be put onto the Wii 2. When the Wii 2 does finally get here, chances are that Dreamcast and Saturn games will be added to the service and Nintendo will relax localization to include games that they have forbidden from being on their console in the past.

Saturn games will be added similarly to how Radiant Silvergun was added to XBLA. SEGA will do this to as many titles as they can and then slap a Saturn logo onto the Virtual Console and call it a day.

As for the Dreamcast, if the PS3 and 360 can do it, the Wii 2 can do it as well.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: October 04, 2010, 10:01:59 PM »
The Classic NES Series proved this, in the United States alone Nintendo sold about 550K copies of Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros. at $30 (and that was just a straight port).
I'm pretty sure that all Classic NES Series games were $20 in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_NES_series#Reception

This doesn't change your point, but the games weren't full priced.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:06:12 PM by Mop it up »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: October 04, 2010, 10:17:06 PM »
Yeah, I recall them being $20, only because my brother bought Bomberman and not Super Mario Bros. WTF, man?

Point remains though I'm sure quite a few of those people bought them as collector's item. Not my brother, mind you... He bought it so he could play a game only fun multiplayer by himself.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: October 04, 2010, 10:25:12 PM »
Brandogg, the HDD specs are very optimistic if you ask me. I'm honestly unsure they'll provide a 1/10th of the amount.

And yes, the VC will always be there. As will backwards compatibility for the Wii. It's a no brainer, seriously. How do you get people to pick up your new console? Offer them several advancements and the ability to play they're old games. It's worked before; it'll work again.

And I'm actually very curious if the WiiD (Wii 2) will allow for upcoverting of Wii games since it will no doubt support HD.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: October 04, 2010, 10:33:06 PM »
Brandogg, the HDD specs are very optimistic if you ask me. I'm honestly unsure they'll provide a 1/10th of the amount.

And yes, the VC will always be there. As will backwards compatibility for the Wii. It's a no brainer, seriously. How do you get people to pick up your new console? Offer them several advancements and the ability to play they're old games. It's worked before; it'll work again.

And I'm actually very curious if the WiiD (Wii 2) will allow for upcoverting of Wii games since it will no doubt support HD.

I have said it before, but Nintendo will offer the option of HDD support(ATA? SATA? PATA?) for the Wii 2. However, the consumer will have to provide the hard drive themselves in a similar way to the SD cards being used now.

It would be foolish to not included backwards compatibility and this is one reason why I refuse to buy a PS3 until it has proper PS2 emulation.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: October 04, 2010, 10:36:02 PM »
I could see Nintendo allowing HDD support through USB, but not out of the box.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: October 04, 2010, 10:46:07 PM »
I could see Nintendo allowing HDD support through USB, but not out of the box.

I am speculating that they will allow every option. Although having an internal HDD does run the problem of piracy, but I have a bunch of laptop hard drives sitting around being used as paper weights and would appreciae being able to use them in my Wii 2.

If I had a HDD in my Wii 2, I would probably use it to store Dreamcast and Saturn virtual console titles and leave the other titles on my SD card. What ever space that was still available I would use to store various things such a music videos and DVDs.

I find memory storage devices to be fascinating, so I would like being able to use what ever devices that I wanted to use on the console. 

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: October 04, 2010, 10:59:37 PM »
Just because you can put a hard drive in the system, that doesn't aid piracy in *ANY* fashion. The Wii doesn't support hard drives - yet you can softmod your Wii, install a USB HDD, and run downloaded games, homebrew, or basically anything from it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2859 on: October 04, 2010, 11:22:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure that all Classic NES Series games were $20 in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_NES_series#Reception

This doesn't change your point, but the games weren't full priced.

Huh, I know some stores charged $30. Maybe it's like how the MSRP of the Wii Zapper is $20 but some stores charge $25.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: October 05, 2010, 12:17:39 AM »
Just because you can put a hard drive in the system, that doesn't aid piracy in *ANY* fashion. The Wii doesn't support hard drives - yet you can softmod your Wii, install a USB HDD, and run downloaded games, homebrew, or basically anything from it.

What are some advantages to having HDD support in a console?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: October 05, 2010, 12:48:01 AM »
Have you never seen an Xbox 360 or a PS3? Buy full games online, essentially unlimited DLC, download movies, download demos of games, betas, etc.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: October 05, 2010, 12:57:19 AM »
Have you never seen an Xbox 360 or a PS3? Buy full games online, essentially unlimited DLC, download movies, download demos of games, betas, etc.

I have never had any hands on time with the Ps3 or 360.

What is DLC?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:26:24 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: October 05, 2010, 01:34:15 AM »
I think Kytim might be on to something:

(rough Wii 2 mockup)

Zap, did you make this yourself? What I had in mind involved the Wii 2 being about the same dimensions as the 360 slim.

Actually I found it in Nintendo Power in an unused section called 'Trustworthy Game Reviews'.

Imagine  console haing the ports for each of thise consoles on top(opposite side of where the HDD is inserted). Would this be too expensive? Judging by all the ports to the 3DS, I am wondering what kindof ports the Wii 2 will have when it releases.

This has to be a joke account.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: October 05, 2010, 02:05:10 AM »

Do you realize that your score is now -31 and that the more you post the more it tends to plummet? Have you ever wondered why that is?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 02:08:00 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: October 05, 2010, 02:09:12 AM »
This has to be a joke account.

That, or its a spam bot. Except, the difference here is Spam bots usually try to link you to some site.
is your sanity...

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: October 05, 2010, 02:14:29 AM »
Maybe someone put together a spambot using leftover artificial intelligence from the rat.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: October 05, 2010, 07:07:34 AM »
DLC = Downloadable Content

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2868 on: October 05, 2010, 09:21:26 AM »
HDD's also decrease loading times (usually). For example, I hated playing the PS2 versions of any games because loading times were almost always longer than the XBX version. When going from one island to the other in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, load times in the PS2 version took about 3 seconds compared to about 0.5 seconds for the XBX version.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: October 05, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »

Do you realize that your score is now -31 and that the more you post the more it tends to plummet? Have you ever wondered why that is?

I am going to continue to express my opinions and if any of you, and especieally Chozo Ghost, do not like it, that is tough **** because I am going to do it any way. 

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: October 05, 2010, 12:23:11 PM »
HDD's also decrease loading times (usually). For example, I hated playing the PS2 versions of any games because loading times were almost always longer than the XBX version. When going from one island to the other in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, load times in the PS2 version took about 3 seconds compared to about 0.5 seconds for the XBX version.

Red Steel 2 could have benefitted tremendously from this ability.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: October 05, 2010, 12:28:11 PM »
But can you and Chozo both stop double posting.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: October 05, 2010, 01:04:57 PM »

I am going to continue to express my opinions and if any of you, and especieally Chozo Ghost, do not like it, that is tough **** because I am going to do it any way. 

I do like it. Your posts add color to the forum, and are often good for a laugh.

But I just wanted to let you know for your sake that much of what you say/ask comes across to others as dumb. I mean, like a whole side of a console being nothing but controller ports for defunct systems. WTF? Most people would feel embarrassed after suggesting something like that. But honestly, I do admire that you don't give a **** what others think.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: October 05, 2010, 04:27:47 PM »
I'm fairly confident that the Wii 2 will use solid state storage instead of a hard drive, making Brandogg's proposed sizes ludicrously high. I'd guess 16 or 32 GB, with the option of expanding it via USB or SD card.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: October 05, 2010, 04:36:39 PM »
I'm fairly confident that the Wii 2 will use solid state storage instead of a hard drive, making Brandogg's proposed sizes ludicrously high. I'd guess 16 or 32 GB, with the option of expanding it via USB or SD card.

That much more reasonable than 750GB HDD from Nintendo of all people.
even a 250GB HDD sounds lolworthy coming from Nintendo regardless of how cheap they are to obtain.
even with a SSD, we should be jumping for joy if they gave us a 64GB drive, that would way more than I would expect from Nintendo.