Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3168273 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #2375 on: June 02, 2010, 11:17:32 PM »
I just outlined the immediate benefits.

WC24 is not that capable otherwise I'm sure XboxLive and PSN would already be doing it.

Now you could redownload some things as they are attached to an account, but a cloud state would allow you to back up  everything seamlessly with out having to ask. Therefore everything you do on your console is accessable from any other console as soon as you log into it. Game saves, custom characters, home screen setup/channel arrangements, messages, save-states, etc etc.

Everything you do is saved/backed up on the server as soon as you do it. Now that gives me immediate access to all my stuff on my Wii2, on your Wii2 or anyone elses Wii2, and if set-up correctly, on my Wii3 and 4, 3DS, 4DS and whatever else Nintendo releases on the same architecture.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: June 03, 2010, 01:45:09 AM »
No, I get what you're saying, but just about everything you've suggested is already possible without a cloud OS. Some of those things are unnecessary/extraneous. Home screen setup? Really?

To me, it just sounds like you're trying to justify your Nintendo initialized Google Chrome theory, which, no offense, is probably not true.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: June 03, 2010, 01:47:40 AM »
I want to start a rumor that Nintendo will use the 3DS to introduce it's "pay to play" online system which will roll into the Wii successor.

Offline Invincible Donkey Kong

• DK Crew. HUH!
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: June 03, 2010, 03:30:06 AM »
I don't recommend doing that.  :reggie:
Buy Zap's perler bead art!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/NewDonkCityVending

Operation: Get Zap a Switch GoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/get-zap-a-switch

Summer of Donk ~ 2017 Twitch meetups! ~ DKC2
https://www.twitch.tv/zapr2k

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: June 03, 2010, 10:53:53 AM »
No, I get what you're saying, but just about everything you've suggested is already possible without a cloud OS. Some of those things are unnecessary/extraneous. Home screen setup? Really?

To me, it just sounds like you're trying to justify your Nintendo initialized Google Chrome theory, which, no offense, is probably not true.

I'm just trying to give examples on how it could be used since you didn't see any benefits. And backing up all you info online w/o having to ask isn't possible with WC24/XBL/PSN because none of them are set up to do that.

You don't think it saving your home screen settings (like custom background or channel arrangement) makes sense now, until something happens to your system and you need to get it fixed or replaced, then it will automatically be setup just like it was before. No need to remember where you had this or that, it will all be right where you left it.

Now I'm not saying all of this is even likely to happen, but an OS born from the ES program, like Chrome OS appears to be, in theory sounds like a great way for Nintendo to pave new roads and lead the pack vs just doing something slightly more than they did with the Wii, which was horribly disconnected and not well planned out for the long-haul.

The only downside to this is that Nintendo would know immediately who was using Homebrew if they happened to be connected to the internet at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 10:55:26 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: June 03, 2010, 01:42:55 PM »
If Nintendo was able to kow who was using Hombrew and other pirated hardware they could specifically target them at no one else's expense. This adds even more credence to Nintendo adopting an OS like this because they want to battle pirates.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: June 04, 2010, 02:58:05 AM »
I'm just trying to give examples on how it could be used since you didn't see any benefits. And backing up all you info online w/o having to ask isn't possible with WC24/XBL/PSN because none of them are set up to do that.
Not that there are zero benefits. Rather, I can't see any additional benefits over what can be done without the cloud. The cost for maintaining those servers is going to get passed to someone and it won't be Nintendo. The things you suggested could be as easy as bringing an SD card over a friend's house and logging into an account or by having the console be able to send data, requested by the account/console owner from a different location, while in standby mode... if Nintendo allowed it.

The only nifty thing you suggested was having access to your files should your console need to be fixed/replaced. First, my console shouldn't need to be fixed or replaced. It should work as intended unless tampered/broken by the user, which isn't Nintendo's problem anyway. Microsoft with their RROD BS has left many people weary, but Nintendo makes sturdy hardware. The DS hinge crack was the only problem I ever had and that didn't affect functionality, the OCD patient in me just cringed when I saw it. Second, for people who are really concerned and I imagine most aren't, save files can easily be backed up, downloads can be easily redownloaded/backed up and it's stupid that Nintendo didn't have the foresight to allow these things to happen on the Wii. Can they in the future? Yes, very easily and all without the cloud. See, I'm not trashing the cloud. I'm questioning the validity of its existence/purpose when alternatives already exist and have existed for quite some time. Is it a better solution? Like most things, that's debatable.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: June 04, 2010, 03:28:32 AM »
I see your point, but Nintendo is about keeping it simple and a cloud would pander to the lowest common denominator while also letting Nintendo do things that are out of the ordinary.

Having everything in a cloud also gives Nintendo immediate user feedback on what games are being played, how often are people saving, where are they saving, how often are they loading and all kinds of other useless to us user gameplay and machine usage statistics.
It would also be a good way to aide in the curbing of piracy since authenticity checks would happen as soon as you connect online for anything(because it would automatically back-up all your games and sync up all your data to the cloud database).

And honestly, I think one of the best things about it is being able to access you data from anywhere at anytime on any machine without having to have had planned ahead. I don't wanna back up all my stuff and carry it around on an SD card so I can load it at a friends house. What happens if I lose my SD card? What happens if I can't access my system since it's not in standby mode for some reason or someone else is using it?

There are probably dozens more reasons why cloud would be a good move, but if you're convinced that it wouldn't make a difference and what we have now with a few tweaks would serve the same purpose, then to each their own.

doing it in a cloud simplifies everything to the point of almost no user complication beyond logging in, which is something anyone familiar with a computer and online e-mail/social services is already familiar with.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:30:12 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: June 04, 2010, 06:25:52 PM »
I see your point, but Nintendo is about keeping it simple...

How do you figure? 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: June 04, 2010, 06:41:01 PM »

How do you figure? 
note: by simple I meant easy to use and/or easy to understand.

Wiimote is made to look like a TV remote for a reason.
Wii Channels are designed to looks like tv's for a reason too.

GC controller had a central A button and color coded buttons for a reason.

In Nintendo's quest to simplify things they have made it difficult in other ways, but they have been about trying to keep it simple. The intent is there, the execution has been lacking in some places though.

Most recent example would be Friend codes. The intent was to keep people safe from other unwanted people and do that with a simple code... but they screwed that up real bad and made everything more difficult for everyone involved.

a more simple log in with a username attached friends list would have been the simpler way to go, but Nintendo has to try and find their own way most of the time and I'm hoping they realize that that is not always the best thing for them or their customers. You don't always need to reinvent the wheel just to say you reinvented it.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: June 04, 2010, 06:51:29 PM »
Actually, rumors are suggesting that Sony's PSN Premium will have cloud storage of saved games.  So it sounds like PSN at least is capable of it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: June 04, 2010, 06:58:04 PM »
^Well that would be great, and if it's true I hope it works so well that everyone copies it.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: June 04, 2010, 11:13:45 PM »

How do you figure? 
note: by simple I meant easy to use and/or easy to understand.

Wiimote is made to look like a TV remote for a reason.
Wii Channels are designed to looks like tv's for a reason too.

GC controller had a central A button and color coded buttons for a reason.

In Nintendo's quest to simplify things they have made it difficult in other ways, but they have been about trying to keep it simple. The intent is there, the execution has been lacking in some places though.

Most recent example would be Friend codes. The intent was to keep people safe from other unwanted people and do that with a simple code... but they screwed that up real bad and made everything more difficult for everyone involved.

a more simple log in with a username attached friends list would have been the simpler way to go, but Nintendo has to try and find their own way most of the time and I'm hoping they realize that that is not always the best thing for them or their customers. You don't always need to reinvent the wheel just to say you reinvented it.

I see.  By that definition, I think I agree with you.  Especially the part about occasionally goofing up big time!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: June 05, 2010, 06:49:51 PM »
Anybody remember the fate of the other GoldenEye game they tried to jam down our throats?

I'm having a small feeling of deja vu right now.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=125721

apparently it will be shown at E3 2010 and have some pretty cool gold classic controller pro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: June 05, 2010, 07:40:06 PM »
Anybody remember the fate of the other GoldenEye game they tried to jam down our throats?

I'm having a small feeling of deja vu right now.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=125721

apparently it will be shown at E3 2010 and have some pretty cool gold classic controller pro.

I don't know about the rumor, but the pic above is fake.

Not saying that there won't be one, but that is definitely not it.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: June 05, 2010, 07:49:46 PM »
I will be keeping a watchful eye on this remake of Golden Eye 007. You all know how I feel about Rare made titles on the wii. However, I would much prefer an upgraded wiiware rebirth title of the N64 game rather than a full on remake for the console.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: June 07, 2010, 02:12:11 PM »
^Well that would be great, and if it's true I hope it works so well that everyone copies it.

It just feels like we are moving that way anyways.  With how complicated these systems are these days, it's very likely that the saves and such could easily get corrupted do to an unforseen error when loading a certain game.  If cloud storage existed, we would never have to worry about that and would not need a memory card to transport to and from friends' places.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: June 11, 2010, 04:02:59 PM »
I'll let you guys decide where this one fall on the BS Meter.

Nintendo to annouce Wii HiFi @ E3?
Pachter Redeemed!?
Quote from: translated

This Tuesday,  June 15 at 9am (18h French time) at Nokia Theatre, that Nintendo  will hold its conference of E3  2010 . While many games should be  announced as the  next Zelda or The  Last Story (with the presence of Hironobu  Sakaguchi), many eyes will be riveted on the obvious new laptop:  Nintendo 3DS ... But beware, according to our information from developers, the  3DS should not be the only machine unveiled by Nintendo  . It is  becoming increasingly clear that the manufacturer would conclude his  lecture by unveiling its next home console, named Wii is  currently code HiFi! We  learn in the aftermath the next home console from Big N would be  calibrated for release in November  2011.
  • She would have a power similar to that of an Xbox  360
  • It  should not be called "Wii 2", but Wii HiFi (in any case the code  name leaked)
  • It would  be very oriented online
  • One of the  main features is the community
  • It would be released in November 2011 
Nonetheless,  there remains many unanswered questions. This code name will be there  final?  How will she presented or  discussed? The console will she physically present on stage? Will it be a video? Just a few sentences? Answer Tuesday! The  conference will obviously follow live on Gameblog ...
a more englishy translation perhaps:
Quote from: NeoGAF

The journalist from gameblog.fr are on a leash recently. After implying   that they already saw Metal Gear Solid Rising running at Kojima   productions, and leaking Mizuguchi's next game code name (Child of   Eden), they are now affirming that Nintendo's next console will be   called Wii HiFi. According to what game developers told them, it will be   announced at the right end of Nintendo's E3 conference, and it is   planned to release around November 2011. Here are the details that have   leaked so far:
  • It should be on par with the 360
  • It should   not be called Wii 2 but Wii HiFi
  • It will be very   online-oriented this time
  • Community aspects will be a big   component
  • It should be out around November 2011
  They don't know how much Nintendo will be showing at E3 though: just the   name? Maybe the design? The controller?

What if this is confusion and is really details about the 3DS.
-Closer to on par visually with a 360 than a DS
-Very Online Oriented (reworked Online with help of google maybe?)
-Community Aspects (AnimalCrossing/FriendCollection integrated GUI)
-Out by Nov. 2010 and not 2011

It is common for these things to get taken out of context and only after all is revealed you realize that some parts of a bogus rumor were actually truth of something else. Only then do you realize that wires were crossed and signals were mixed.

But like the rumor says, Tuesday is when we'll know for sure.

edit: I would like to add that while I know the Nintendo service reps usually don't know more than we do, and in lots of cases, less than we do, the service rep I talked to yesterday suggested that I might want to wait until after E3 to see what Nintendo has in store for their Online Service.
I didn't think anything of it then while in context, but thinking about it afterwards, I wonder if she knew something I didn't.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:21:52 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: June 11, 2010, 04:27:51 PM »
Coool.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: June 11, 2010, 05:54:01 PM »
You're a gullible bastard if you believe this.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: June 11, 2010, 05:55:16 PM »
Guilty, as charged.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: June 11, 2010, 06:08:36 PM »
Well, I didn't mean you specifically.

It's a silly rumor and a bad one at that. Honestly, I don't think Nintendo would unveil 2 brand new pieces of hardware at the same show while still also trying to show off offerings of their current hardware. I suspect this show for Nintendo will be 50% 3DS, 25% Zelda, and 25% everything else.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: June 11, 2010, 06:10:45 PM »
It does make me excited, I just don't believe it. Regardless I love to read about all these leaks and rumors.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: June 11, 2010, 06:13:57 PM »
Psst. I got a hot tip, don't tell anyone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX2smM87r14

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: June 11, 2010, 06:45:52 PM »
One of the clever details of the "Wii Hi-Fi" is that it will have visuals on par with an Xbox 360.  See a typical false rumour usually caters to fanboy dreams so the natural tendency would be to say the Wii successor would be more powerful than the current consoles.  But matching the weaker of the two HD consoles with a console released YEARS later?  That is so up Nintendo's alley.  It's so lame that's it's incredibly believable.  "Hi-Fi" is also a clever name since it doesn't follow coventional naming and it has never been used before in any other rumours.  A lesser bullshitter would have gone for the obvious Wii HD name, which Nintendo would NEVER use.

For those pointing out that Nintendo's isn't going to release a new portable and console so close together what about the Gamecube and GBA?  They both came out in 2001 and were revealed around the same time.