Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167994 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #2175 on: April 21, 2010, 11:15:01 PM »
Gamestop still says June 27, Walmart says September 1, Target says June 27, FYE says September 1.

Who knows? Officially it is June 27 still.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: April 21, 2010, 11:21:22 PM »
I don't know if it's official or not, But it looks like Metroid Other M may have been delayed for 2 months till 8/15/10 and S&P has filled M:OM spot on 6/27.

Best Buy says it's so, but Amazon doesn't agree.

But assuming it did happen, anyone think it's to put wiichuck control into the game?
What could be the reason for a 1.5 month delay just short of 2 months from release?
Would it just be more time for polish or bug fixing?

If they actually swallowed their pride and delayed the game to fix the controls, they probably just won my purchase because it makes no sense to not even have the option of using the nunchuck.  It's not like most of the Nintendo faithful won't have Mario and S&P to play, and everyone else will still be working through all the games released on all 3 consoles the first 3-4 months of this year.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: April 21, 2010, 11:38:22 PM »
I think it was just a mix-up on Best Buy's part.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: April 22, 2010, 12:06:55 AM »
Better tell that to Walmart too.
Quote from: Walmart.com
Preorder Now

Preorder this item today and it should ship on 09/01/2010

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: April 22, 2010, 12:47:47 AM »
As awesome as it'd be to have all those games so close to each other, it doesn't make much sense. There would be a very lengthy span of time between major releases with Zelda probably coming out in November. I wouldn't really mind a delay, personally. There was no way I'd beat Galaxy 2 in a month especially with Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker coming out like 3 days later.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: April 22, 2010, 02:25:23 AM »
I don't know if it's official or not, But it looks like Metroid Other M may have been delayed for 2 months till 8/15/10 and S&P has filled M:OM spot on 6/27.

Best Buy says it's so, but Amazon doesn't agree.

But assuming it did happen, anyone think it's to put wiichuck control into the game?
What could be the reason for a 1.5 month delay just short of 2 months from release?
Would it just be more time for polish or bug fixing?

No idea, but if Nintendo thinks the game needs more time for spit and polish then I'm all for it. Nintendo is seldom known for pushing out pieces of crap so I trust their judgment and if they delay a game I know its for a good reason.
is your sanity...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: April 22, 2010, 05:12:19 AM »
It could have just been the discovery of a hidden game ruining glitch. Some times those late in the dev cycle could thrown months onto a release date time table.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2182 on: April 22, 2010, 12:23:23 PM »
Nintendo decided to add the Super Guide to Merftroid.  Shows you how to properly "hold Right" and "tap A" to automatically auto-aim.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: April 22, 2010, 12:40:27 PM »
Nintendo decided to add the Super Guide to Merftroid.  Shows you how to properly "hold Right" and "tap A" to automatically auto-aim.

Is it sad that I could actually see them doing that (that, and probably going through every line of text bolding every important word of dialogue)?  :-\
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: April 22, 2010, 02:16:53 PM »
Apple to buy chip maker ARM!?
London's financial district is "aflame" with rumors of a possible takeover of ARM by a company that only yesterday announced that it was sitting on a cash reserve of $41.7bn: Apple.

With that amount of liquidity sloshing around, such a takeover would be by no means unrealistic for Jobs & Co.

According to Wednesday's Evening Standard, The City's "gossips" are floating a rumor of Apple's interest in the UK chip designer.

And apparently many financial types feel there may be truth behind that gossip: the Standard reports that more than five million ARM shares changed hands on Wednesday, boosting the stock price by over 3 per cent and making it FTSE's biggest winner in the day's trading.

"A deal would make a lot of sense for Apple," one trader told the Standard. "That way, they could stop ARM's technology from ending up in everyone else's computers and gadgets."

Which would, shall we say, send shockwaves throughout the "computers and gadgets" industry.

Apple was recently reported to have bagged all or part of chip-designer Intrinsity, (one of) the alleged brains behind the A4 chip powering the iPad. Also, Cupertino acquired chipmaker PA Semi back in 2008, although word on the street is that many of the engineers that came along with that deal have moved on to their own start-up, Agnilux - which was just acquired by Google.

But those acquisitions would be small potatoes compared to an Apple acquisition of ARM. Although the Cambridge-based chipmaker's stock closed today at 251.1p, the Standard's sources are of the opinion that a takeover offer would be in the 500p per share range - which would place ARM's value at more than £5.2bn ($8bn).

That figure would amount to nearly 20 per cent of Apple's war chest - but the competitive advantage of acquiring ARM might very well make such an expenditure a long-term bargain.

After all, Apple is essentially minting money right now. Why not spend a good chunk of it to both enhance your chipmaking expertise and kneecap your competitors?

For those of you wondering why I would put this in a Nintendo Rumor thread, Every Nintendo handheld, that I've known the innards of, has had an ARM chip inside. Millions of products, including tons of stuff probably in your house, possibly have ARM chips in them. Tegra/2 (one of the rumored possibilities for 3DS) is an ARM chip. Gamecube and therefore Wii have an ARM chip inside.

Assuming Apple was really considering this, would this sale even be legal?
seems sort of monopolistic.

What would Nintendo do having to buy chips from someone that just yesterday was their biggest and still growing threat in the handheld gaming sector.

What would that mean for the 3DS or any gaming system that came after it?

What other competitors are there to ARM in the SoC and general purpose computing chip sector?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2185 on: April 22, 2010, 02:34:17 PM »
Texas Instruments, Cirrus Logic, VIA, etc

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: April 22, 2010, 02:45:17 PM »
Texas Instruments & Cirrus Logic licenses chip designs from ARM.... I'm not so sure on VIA since Wiki doesn't have a complete list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: April 22, 2010, 03:00:56 PM »
ARM chips are in everything.  Buying ARM in order to cut everyone else out would be completely insane.  It would be like buying the goose that lays golden eggs to serve for Christmas dinner.  Buying ARM without changing their business so that all that money flows into your own coffers while you lower costs for your own devices might make more sense.  It's hard to say whether that would be an antitrust issue, but I think it would ultimately simply make room for a startup chip maker to flourish since everyone competing with Apple or otherwise bristling at their price gouging would scramble for alternatives.  I guess that would be roughly the same as the first thing I said, but over a longer and less panicky term.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2188 on: April 22, 2010, 03:34:38 PM »
Nabisco and Frito Lay also make chips.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: April 22, 2010, 04:05:55 PM »
So do cows.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: April 22, 2010, 05:08:42 PM »
Nabisco and Frito Lay also make chips.
So do cows.

But can they put systems on those chips?
DO they license out the recipe for those chips so that others can make them too?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: April 22, 2010, 05:48:57 PM »
I read that rumor yesterday. Not going to happen. I think people are just on an Apple high from the recent iPad and Macbook Pro releases. Right now, Apple is doing a lot right so the crazy rumors are going to fly.

Additionally, like most of us know, acquisitions are always tricky. You run the risk of key employee departures. For example, Google just bought out AgniLux which coincidentally was started by former employees of P.A. Semi, a company Apple acquired in 2008. Which is the real P.A. Semi? If any company buys ARM, the world will move on.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: April 22, 2010, 11:54:53 PM »
That's the whole idea behind Nintendo not wanting to buy up companies; buying the company is meaningless if all the employees would just leave and go somewhere else.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: April 23, 2010, 01:44:38 AM »
After Apple buys ARMI Nintendo should buy Apple and then own their own chipmaker, plus neutralize the competition in one swoop.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: April 23, 2010, 02:01:14 AM »
Nintendo isn't any more capable of buying Apple than Apple is capable of buying Nintendo. Both companies are too proud to ever let that happen. As someone who is a big fan of both companies, let me tell you that that is one of many similarities between the two of them
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2195 on: April 23, 2010, 06:27:33 AM »
Also, Apple is on pace to become the biggest tech company in the United States and have $41 billion in cash. Nintendo has about as much of a chance of buying Apple as I do.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: April 23, 2010, 06:48:35 AM »
Even bigger than Microsoft?
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: April 23, 2010, 09:36:06 AM »
Apple is right behind MS (who is #2) in the Forbes 500.

Apple with a $251bln Market Cap and MS with ~$275bln.

Exxon is #1, Google is #4

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: April 25, 2010, 02:12:53 AM »
Activision working on a new Goldeneye?

Newly registered domain names sometimes mean nothing more than a company   wanting to protect their intellectual properties online, but they can   also sometimes hint at new plans for intellectual properties in the   future. And this one's definitely intriguing enough to take note of:   Superannuation reports that Activision has registered   "goldeneyegame.com," suggesting what may be a new James Bond title. 

[...]Activision also already   announced last year that a new James Bond title is in development,   rumored to be developed by Bizarre Creations -- and also rumored to be   titled "Bloodstone" after a leaked U.K. retailer listing earlier this week.   All of which just adds more questions to the mix: Are there now two   Bond games in the works at Activision? Or (again) is the domain   goldeneyegame.com actually just a placeholder with no real game to go   with it? We'll have to wait and see until Activision decides to clarify   the matter.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: April 25, 2010, 12:57:42 PM »
Anybody remember the fate of the other GoldenEye game they tried to jam down our throats?

I'm having a small feeling of deja vu right now.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?