Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167990 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #2100 on: March 25, 2010, 03:38:51 AM »
Rumour: DSMicro will launch soon after the 3DS, as a cheap option for those who don't wish to acquire the new system.

Rumor: DSMicro will fail because no one buys it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: March 25, 2010, 04:29:20 AM »
Could this be what Nintendo is going for with the "3D motion stick" for the 3DS?
http://asiajin.com/blog/2008/07/19/cyber-maid-augmented-reality/

Imagine the character not being interacted with on the screen, but you seeing her projected out of the screen and you physically interacting with the image thanks to the camera also tracking the new and improved stylus with feed back that vibrates when you touch the 3D image.

Anyone think this is the next big reveal? Imagine the next Pokemon game or even better, the Next Nintendogs or Tetris 3D.

This could be absolutely HUGE!!!

edit:
Honestly, if Nintendo did that, Sony would have to cry because their whole ARG with Move would already be one step behind since you need the "3D Started Kit" that all the major Electronic stores are pushing like crazy right now just to do what you would already get in the 3DS for little more than a pair of 3D glasses.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 04:32:42 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: March 25, 2010, 04:35:54 AM »
naw that wouldn't work on a DS like device. you need at least two physical things for the camera to track...one: the thing your playing with, and two: your stylus.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: March 25, 2010, 04:46:59 AM »
1: The thing your playing with is being projected in 3D in from of your eyes.
2: the camera can track the stylus.

I don't see what so hard about that.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: March 25, 2010, 04:52:32 AM »
Forget that cyber stick nonsense, BnM,

Just use your fingers!
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: March 25, 2010, 05:02:36 AM »
But it was mentioned that Nintendo had a "3D control Stick" and that doesn't necessarily mean a analog stick and could be a motion tracked stylus which would fit into some prediction in the DS2 thread.

mix that with 3D and ARG style game play, and the PS3 w/ Move has been matched(and bested) by a $200 handheld.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: March 25, 2010, 05:14:53 AM »
If it could detect a finger I'm sure it could detect a stylus device too. I like using the stylus, but there are times it could be easier to just slide it above the screen instead of directly on top of it.

If this (all of these neat features) is the new DS, I can't even begin to think of what the next Wii will be.
My Game Collection

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: March 25, 2010, 05:38:35 AM »

I don't think you read the article correctly. No where does it say that's it's projected in front of your eyes. In fact, it explicitly says that the image is onscreen only. This isn't starwars lol

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: March 25, 2010, 05:54:33 AM »
They actually have screens that can actually present the proper 'point of view' up to 64 different ways. So instead of a 3D screen where it only works for the person directly in front of the screen you can be in any number of positions and angles and still get the full effect. I saw a video for it. I'll try and find the one.
My Game Collection

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: March 25, 2010, 08:14:25 AM »
All I can see is 3D dollar signs with all that tech you are going on about.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: March 25, 2010, 11:34:58 AM »

I don't think you read the article correctly. No where does it say that's it's projected in front of your eyes. In fact, it explicitly says that the image is onscreen only. This isn't starwars lol

NO. You use this on the 3DS and it will be projected in 3D out in front of your eyes. I think you need to get some sleep. I'm talking about using that tech on the 3DS not using on the computer.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: March 25, 2010, 02:03:52 PM »
that still doesn't make any sense!

You still need something else to interact with in the physical world!

I get what your saying. Combine this with 3D and you have something that looks like its out in front of you and you can interact with it. I'm just saying that while creative, it'll never work how you envision it to work.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:09:38 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: March 25, 2010, 02:07:01 PM »
Maybe I don't understand what's being suggested, but if the 3D image is just your brain being tricked into thinking that the image is coming out of the screen, then when you start waving the stylus in front of the screen, won't the illusion be gone?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: March 25, 2010, 02:10:45 PM »
yes, because you can't go behind the "projected" image. It's not a damn hologram.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: March 25, 2010, 04:27:09 PM »
You never know, it could be a hologram. ;)

Nintendo has invested heavily in holographic storage tech, so it's not that much of a stretch to envision that they also are invested in visual holo tech.
My Game Collection

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: March 25, 2010, 04:32:51 PM »
AHAHAHAHA

maybe so....

and maybe Nintendo will fly us to mars.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: March 25, 2010, 05:07:55 PM »
Maybe I don't understand what's being suggested, but if the 3D image is just your brain being tricked into thinking that the image is coming out of the screen, then when you start waving the stylus in front of the screen, won't the illusion be gone?

That is where the force feedback stylus patent comes into place*. Since the camera is tracking where the stylus is in 3 Dimensions, and the system knows where the 3D image is (above the lower screen yet in front of you) it can give you feed back when you touch the surface of the 3D image.

*I imagine the new stylus will have a little light on the tip for easy tracking, a small button that would fall under your pointer finger and some force feedback.

Now imagine a rubix cube like puzzle in front of you in 3D. You need to rotate the blocks to match the color and shape of the next block coming in. As you touch the 3D block the stylus vibrates to let you know you've touched the surface. You click the button on the stylus and it locks on to the block. Now you can twist and turn the block in 3 dimensions until you let go of the button.

Now picture a game of Nintendogs 3D. The puppy sits off the screen right in front of you and you can use your stylus to pet his 3D image. But you decide you want to play fetch with your puppy. so you grab the little 3D ball by touching it and pressing a the stylus button. Now when you flick the stylus, you release the button, which throws the ball.

The thing is, it might not look perfect, but it will definitely have that WOW factor with all gamers as the effect should be very easy to create with a 3D screen and a motion tracking camera that has a stylus that's meant to be tracked.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: March 25, 2010, 06:47:23 PM »
3D stick? Holograms?
I can't imagine this system being very complicated. Nintendo has found success with DS and Wii by keeping things simple, so the next DS isn't going to have an intricate control scheme. They are also going to need to make a good presentation at E3 if they hope to sell people on the concept. One problem with the Virtual Boy is that people actually had to try it out in order to realize the 3D effects, screenshots just made it look like red Game Boy games.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: March 25, 2010, 06:51:44 PM »
Just to be clear, I said nothing about "Holograms", I'm talking about a 3D image that appears to pop off of the screen and the Augmented Reality of using the motion camera and motion tracked stylus with the 3D screen.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: March 25, 2010, 06:57:32 PM »
That sounds rather expensive to implement. It's difficult for me to imagine that Nintendo is going to create an expensive handheld; they like to make a profit on their hardware and they also want it to be affordable. I would think they wouldn't want to exceed the launch price of the DS which was $150, but then again, I never thought they'd exceed $100. I guess they might now bump it up to $200... but that's the same as Wii. Anything's possible, nothing Nintendo does surprises me anymore, but I find that hard to believe.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:00:15 AM by Mop it up »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: March 25, 2010, 07:17:20 PM »
We already know the system has at least 1 3D screen <check>
We already know the system has at least 2 cameras <check>
we already know that cameras can track faces (Hidden 3D Image on DSi) <check>
We know that Nintendo already patented a Force Feedback Stylus <check>

If Nintendo uses this force Feed back stylus, it will need to be Bluetooth enabled to communicate and it will also need power, which means it needs a battery. If it has a battery already, then it wouldn't be too much to add a simple button and an LED light to the tip so that it can be tracked by the camera.

Are we all following my logic here now?

so now that we use what we know will be there(backwards compatible with DS/DSi and 3D w/ no glasses) and speculate based on what Nintendo has already patented(force feedback stylus), it's not hard to see where I was coming from with this.

The only variable is how much would a stylus like that cost. It will be considerably more than the $0.10 that the current one cost, but surely it wouldn't be more than maybe $7-$10 at the volume Nintendo would be producing them.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2121 on: March 25, 2010, 07:34:54 PM »
"Help me, Obi-wan Kenobi.  You're my only hope."

:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: March 25, 2010, 10:36:48 PM »
LMAO

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: March 25, 2010, 10:40:37 PM »
Now imagine a rubix cube like puzzle in front of you in 3D. You need to rotate the blocks to match the color and shape of the next block coming in. As you touch the 3D block the stylus vibrates to let you know you've touched the surface. You click the button on the stylus and it locks on to the block. Now you can twist and turn the block in 3 dimensions until you let go of the button.

This is pretty much what I was imagining only playing with a 3D cube the appears off the screen: Picross 3D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:42:48 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: March 26, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
Well first of all, for that technology to work (the one that interacts outside of the system), you'll need a second object. Your saying that the bottom half of the system will be the second object. The only problem with that, is that you physically have to manipulate the object in the real world to manipulate it in the digital world. Next you wanted to have the stylus be tracked by the camera so that you could interact with the object. This is feasible but I see a cord being attached to the stylus. The popping out aspect, however, could never work in the holographic type of way you are talking about. As soon as you block your perspective with the stylus, either one or both eyes are not getting information to create the illusion of depth for your brain, and thus the illusion would cease to exist.

It's a great idea, but the combination of technologies that you have in your head (1+1 = 3), just isn't sophisticated enough right now.