Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167838 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #1950 on: February 23, 2010, 03:19:47 AM »
I just think discs are always going to be a bad idea. I also think pushing graphics on a handheld is a terrible idea as well. I'd much rather it focus on durability and processing power.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: February 23, 2010, 03:41:46 AM »
Sony and MS's job is to push the envelope, including online connectivity and Nintendo will handle all the gameplay innovation and fun. Everyone knows their place and Sony & MS will make the tech affordable so that Nintendo can use it quicker.

I applaud Sony for keeping the edge bleeding as I'm not worried about buying what they are selling. I root for another Nintendo victory but I also hope Sony finds their success pushing the technology, just not as much success as Nintendo. I also hope MS keeps stepping on Sony's heels and making them force their hand early. It keeps things interesting and eventually one of them will have to give. All their spoils are likely to go to Nintendo and that is likely the console I will own first.

So if Sony wants to push a disc(and they should, gotta make BRD stick or they are kinda screwed) then so be it, but I don't really care for BRD's so it's not like it's something I'm even interested in. There will be another format in the next 5-7 years that will be a much better option(HVD?) and BRD still wouldn't have killed off DVD yet, so Sony really needs to push hard if BRD is to get a grip on the market.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: February 23, 2010, 04:37:20 AM »
A mini-brd would cause the same problem the UMD did, in that no one wanted to buy movies that only worked on one piece of technology.

Not true. Mini BRD are fully playable on any (or at least most) BR players. Its just like with Mini CDs and Mini DVDs which have been around for years. If you ever pop open your DVD player or DVD-drive on your computer and you look at the tray you can see the spot where you put the regular discs, and then in the center is a spot you can put the Mini Discs. BRD have carried on that legacy...

So a Mini BRD drive in the PSP2 wouldn't be faced with that problem that UMD had. If movies started being pumped out in Mini BRD format they would be playable on PSP2 and on any other BRD player. The only real issue I can see is that by being Mini it will have far less storage capacity that a regular sized BRD. This might be an issue for lengthy movies or games. But then again, maybe they could use dual-layer mini brd or something to pump up the storage space so that its the same as a regular size disc.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: February 23, 2010, 04:40:30 AM »
I just think discs are always going to be a bad idea. I also think pushing graphics on a handheld is a terrible idea as well. I'd much rather it focus on durability and processing power.

I agree completely. Once again, let me repeat that I didn't say I thought it was a great idea; I just said I think its what Sony will do based on its track record. Right or wrong, Sony seems to love Optical media. They've invested heavily in it (probably more than any other company), and they've never released a console that wasn't based on one kind of optical hardware or another. Nintendo was reluctant to embrace optical media, and I think they still love carts as we see with the DS, but Sony is the exact opposite.

Again, it might be a stupid move on the part of Sony, but it matches their personality to a T. That's why I'm predicting this is what they will do. Now, whether I think its a wise move or not is another story...
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: February 23, 2010, 04:51:25 AM »
A mini-brd would cause the same problem the UMD did, in that no one wanted to buy movies that only worked on one piece of technology.

Not true. Mini BRD are fully playable on any (or at least most) BR players. Its just like with Mini CDs and Mini DVDs which have been around for years. If you ever pop open your DVD player or DVD-drive on your computer and you look at the tray you can see the spot where you put the regular discs, and then in the center is a spot you can put the Mini Discs. BRD have carried on that legacy...

So a Mini BRD drive in the PSP2 wouldn't be faced with that problem that UMD had. If movies started being pumped out in Mini BRD format they would be playable on PSP2 and on any other BRD player. The only real issue I can see is that by being Mini it will have far less storage capacity that a regular sized BRD. This might be an issue for lengthy movies or games. But then again, maybe they could use dual-layer mini brd or something to pump up the storage space so that its the same as a regular size disc.
I actually think that the mBRD version of movies would have to be 720p due to space issues. And I think mBRD as the media format for PSP2 is a great idea if then can fix the battery issue. Maybe lots of RAM and to load all important data for games into the memory and only use the disc when necessary, or partial installs to frequently used software won't need to access the disc very often at all. The only issue would be with watching actual movies that would stream off the disc.
As long as you could get 6hrs total play time and/or 3hrs of movie time on a single charge, I think PSP2 would do fine.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: February 23, 2010, 06:03:05 AM »
Well, I think batteries have improved a great deal these last few years. Back in 2005 when the old PSP came out batteries for portable devices was in its infancy. Now everyone uses netbooks and iphones and all sorts of gizmos like that, so I'm sure that technology had matured a lot. You can look at the DS and how the newer models offer a much better battery life than the original Phat model did.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: February 23, 2010, 06:50:53 AM »
As I said, the Wii is the only device I know of with a slot-loading disc drive that will accept mini discs. The vast majority of slot-loading drives, such as, I'm assuming, the ones the PS3 uses, not only won't play a mini disc, but will be really screwed up if you even just stick a mini disc into them. Sony's not going to use a format for the PSP2 on the basis of compatibility if it's not even compatible with their other game console.

As for batteries, 10 hours should be the minimum battery life for a handheld. I have a ton of games on my iPhone that I love, but I was afraid to play them much until I recently got a battery pack for it, because playing games on that thing will kill the battery in 5 or 6 hours.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:53:05 AM by insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: February 23, 2010, 07:19:34 AM »
As I said, the Wii is the only device I know of with a slot-loading disc drive that will accept mini discs. The vast majority of slot-loading drives, such as, I'm assuming, the ones the PS3 uses, not only won't play a mini disc, but will be really screwed up if you even just stick a mini disc into them. Sony's not going to use a format for the PSP2 on the basis of compatibility if it's not even compatible with their other game console.

Sony had no qualms about releasing the PSP with the UMD format which was incompatible with the PS2 (and also PS3). So you can't discount the possibility just because the PS3 won't accept Mini-BRD.

Even if the PS3 won't (I'd like to see some conclusive evidence of that too, btw) accept Mini-BRD, most other BRD players will. And who is it that is behind the BRD format and wants it to succeed at every cost? Why, Sony. That's who.

The UMD is a failure, and I can't see Sony maintaining it in the PSP2. I suppose it is possible they might make a UMD 2.0 format. The benefits that would offer is 1) No one can burn UMD discs without Sony's authorization, and 2) it would maintain backwards compatibility with the original PSP library.

So that's something they *might* do. But why bother? BRD is their flavor of the month. They need to make it Mini-BRD though, because of the fact the PSP2 is a portable. I guess its possible it could be regular BRD...

I'm looking at this from all angles and trying to figure out what Sony would think is the best way to go. I've narrowed the possibilities down to these:

1) Mini-BRD
2) UMD 2.0
3) Regular BRD

They *could* reject optical media and go with flash media like the DS uses, or just rely on internal storage via downloads, but those routes are very wise and logical, and that's why I kinda doubt Sony would pursue them. So I'm stuck with those 3 choices above. Which one will they do? I guess it won't be long til we find out... Anyone want to place bets?
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1958 on: February 23, 2010, 07:45:40 AM »
Actually I think that handhelds are moving further and further away from physical media...and Sony has hinted about that with the new PSP Go.  It wants to move away from physical disks and move directly to download content.

I can see Sony going purely with download content like the Apple Apps store for the next PSP. 

Honestly, I think that is a good idea.  The biggest hinderance to portable gaming is actually carrying around all your games.  Having downloadable content would make the whole portable experience better. 

So I don't see mini Blue-Ray disks.  And even if they were created...I don't see Sony doing the mistake of putting movies on them again.  That was a big waste of money.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: February 23, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »
You're forgetting the fact that UMD only failed because you could only play them on the PSP. A mBRD enabled PSP2 would encourage sales on of not only BRD but also of new BluRay players.

I have no idea if PS3 can play mBRD or not, but that's nothing a hardware revision couldn't fix. There is no reason to not push it with PSP2 especially since they can just release a compatible drive with the PS4. You have to remember that Sony has a lot of money invested in the success of BluRay and the format is doing ok, but it's not doing as good as Sony might want to lead us to believe. If Sony wants to standardize the format, then they need to put it in everything that it makes sense to put it in, and it makes sense to put it in the PSP2.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: February 23, 2010, 02:30:15 PM »
Sony might have been testing the "downloads only" waters with the PSPgo, but let's not forget that the PSPgo was a huge flop. So if they were using that to test the waters, we can assume they found the waters frigid and deep. Or muddy and crocodile infested... or whatever.
is your sanity...

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #1961 on: February 23, 2010, 02:41:17 PM »
Chozo, your point is very valid.  However, the iPhone has proven that people are willing to buy digital games assuming its convenient.  The only wrinkle with that is that the pricing system on the platform is messed up beyond all reason.

Sony's primary mistake with the digital distribution on the PSP is also pricing.  Because the PSP in general is not very popular, 99% of games are cheaper to buy on UMD.  This makes digital distribution very unappealing through no fault of its own.

I want to buy Dissidia digitally, but it still runs 39.99 even though it's at most 29.99 in any store.  If they have any hope of current PSP owners transitioning or potential new PSP owners going Go over the older system, they need to update their online game store frequently enough to compete with retail.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: February 23, 2010, 03:25:14 PM »
I definitely agree, since you don't get physical boxes, manuals, and all that, and only have 16 GB with the PSPGo, I definitely wouldn't be willing to pay the full retail price for most games.  It's less of a value than the alternative, even if both remain at retail.  I'd expect a premium price for buying a lesser product direct from the "head" distributor.

So, yeah, I'd be willing to potentially do business on a DLC device, provided it's been made to do business with me, with realistic expectations from the content-provider's side.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: February 23, 2010, 04:06:28 PM »
Retailers wouldn't be happy with a downloads-only system, because how can they sell games with that? I also think it might weaken sales, because kids like to bother their parents to buy this or that game for them when they're out shopping and see something cool behind a glass case. I suppose they could bother their parents to buy it for them through an online download system, but not everyone has wifi or access to it and those who do might be reluctant using their credit cards through it.

And like others have said, you don't have a tangible product that you can give to your friends or sell or use on other systems. You buy it for one system, and that's it. Then the system breaks and you lose it... at least with tangible media, if your system dies you still have a disc or cart you can use on a new system.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: February 23, 2010, 05:02:25 PM »
Download-only worked for Apple because of the 3G network. Unless Sony wants people to also sign up for coverage, it'll never work. The only reason the DSi can get away with it is because those games are cheap.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #1965 on: February 23, 2010, 08:51:21 PM »
Download-only worked for Apple because of the 3G network. Unless Sony wants people to also sign up for coverage, it'll never work. The only reason the DSi can get away with it is because those games are cheap.
I don't necessarily agree. I think the iPod touch is successful enough in its own rights.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: February 23, 2010, 08:57:35 PM »
yeah but how many people own an iPod touch compared to an iPhone? I'm asking because I don't know.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: February 23, 2010, 09:49:56 PM »
Super Mario Galaxy 2 in June
The above link is in Dutch, but that 's what it's saying.
Quote from: Google Translated
Super Mario Galaxy-2 release in June

NGamer hint naar een hands-on en Wii-DS naar de releasedatum! NGamer hint for a hands-on Wii and DS to the release date!

Super Mario Galaxy 2 ligt dit jaar nog voor de zomer in de winkels. Super Mario Galaxy is 2 years before this summer in the shops. Althans, één van onze meest betrouwbare bronnen liet weten dat het spel in juni in de winkels ligt. At least, one of our most reliable sources said that the game is in stores in June. Een optimistische voorspelling, aangezien de Fransen de titel in Augustus verwachten. An optimistic forecast, given the French title in August expect. Het Engelse blad NGamer schrijft dat men in het volgende nummer een hands-on verslag heeft over de titel. The British magazine NGamer writes that in the next issue a hands-on report on the title. Super Mario Galaxy 2 kan zo maar eens het paradepaardje zijn van de Nintendo Media-Summit die morgen in Amerika en overmorgen in Europa van start gaat. 2 Super Mario Galaxy may just be the flagship of the Nintendo Media Summit tomorrow in America and in Europe the day after starting.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: February 23, 2010, 10:34:25 PM »
If Metroid is suppose to release this Summer and now Galaxy as well, what will Nintendo release this winter?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: February 23, 2010, 10:40:13 PM »
Final Fantasy XIII XD Edition.  Just to make 360 and PS3 fanboys angry.

Really, though, I could see Sin and Punishment being held back to specifically compete with a game like Bioshock 2, except Bioshock 2 just came out, right?

So I'm not so sure what to expect Winter.  Let's all assume the old "surprise" titles: F-zero, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Ice Climber MEGA Sequel, 2D Metroid, and Newer Super Mario Bros. Expansion Title Wii.  Also Brawl upgrade.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: February 24, 2010, 12:30:56 AM »
If Metroid is suppose to release this Summer and now Galaxy as well, what will Nintendo release this winter?

Zelda Wii, which until stated otherwise is still planned for Winter 2010.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: February 24, 2010, 12:58:24 AM »
It will be 4 years since the last console Zelda was released, this coming Christmas.  I don't know why some people think there's no chance it will be ready.

I'd also expect another 'expanded audience' title a la WiiFit, WiiSports for the Christmas season.  Might involve the pulse monitor.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: February 24, 2010, 01:02:19 AM »
You mean WiiRelax? that's whats coming this Fall/holiday season.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: February 24, 2010, 01:14:23 AM »
Well that hasn't been announced, so I'm not going to make that conclusion.  But something of that variety should be expected.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: February 24, 2010, 02:52:50 AM »
Well that hasn't been announced, so I'm not going to make that conclusion.  But something of that variety should be expected.

Hey! Has anyone predicted that we'll see WiiRelax at the media summit? Or is the general consensus that it is being held until GDC or E3?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast