Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167823 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #1925 on: February 18, 2010, 03:58:03 AM »
I can think of a lot of game uses for pressure sensitivity.

In Trauma Center the harder you press the deeper you make incisions in a patient's skin. Also a drawing game like Drawn to Life or Scribblenauts could use it to make thicker marks.

In A 'World Ends With You' sequel some of the psychs could require you to press harder to activate.

A racing game could use a pressure sensitive digital gas pedal to make the car go faster.

Guitar Hero games could use it like they already do in the main game to differentiate harder drum hits from lighter ones.

Nintendogs 2 could use it for playing tug-of-war with your puppy; the harder you press the harder it is for the puppy to pull the rope/toy from you and you eventually will want to lighten up your 'grip' enough to let them win since that helps build a puppy's confidence. Also minigames in WarioWare and a new Mario Party could use them for similar 'tugging/pulling' activities. Not to mention a new Zelda could have those chain levers you pull to open doors but they fight back and you have to press harder to pull down the chain all the way.

Also, if the next Pokemon expands on the whole digging for fossils feature then harder taps would unearth more of an object but more quickly cause the walls to collapse. (this makes me want to see a fleshed out archaeology game on the ds, because you could also use the mic to blow away extra dirt among other things)

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: February 18, 2010, 04:06:42 AM »
There's good reason that most games don't make use of the touch sensitivity of the touch screen, though: last time I checked (and mind you, the last time I saw the official documentation was last year, and Standards change over time) Nintendo has a Hardware Standard that forbids developers from having the player repeatedly engage in activity that endangers or shortens the life of the DS.  Unless Nintendo builds those touch screens to handle a truly absurd amount of punishment, I don't see this Standard getting lifted.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: February 18, 2010, 11:58:39 AM »
Well supposedly touch sensitivity was only in the regular DS/l models then it was stripped out for the DSi.

With those new sensitivity covers, would it actually allow another layer of cushion and could provide the safety that DS2 screen would need?

If you follow that link on the last screen, you would see some people did some really amazing drawing on the DS using that painting program Colors. I'm not an artist, but I would love to see something like that built into the DS2 like pictochat is for the DS.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:28:46 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: February 20, 2010, 06:01:31 PM »
Rogue Squadron coming to Wii? could it be a remake?
http://www.game.co.uk/Wii/Rogue-Squadron/~r346565/

Is this what Factor 5 has been working on?
Is this something that could be revealed at the upcoming Media Summit or merely a mistake on the part of Game UK?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 06:04:40 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: February 20, 2010, 06:10:11 PM »
Well, it has been rumored before and alluded to by Factor 5 so who knows for sure.

Whether it was a remake or a new edition I would get either one honestly. I would love it if it was a collection that included the two N64 games 'Rogue Squadron' and 'Battle for Naboo' except with updated graphics along with the two Gamecube titles. Though I doubt Wii controls could save the on-foot stages in RS3 unless they totally revamped them to be 3rd-Person-Shooter/RE4-esque which might improve them.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: February 21, 2010, 03:49:47 AM »
Oh I hope so.  I loved all the other games.  The foot sections can be left out though.  I love being shot by a battalion of enemy troops and only being scratched. 

It would come with an X-Wing remote attachment.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: February 21, 2010, 07:04:24 PM »
Activision about to challenge Pokemon
....and on it's own turf.
Activision is to release video games based on the Gogo's Crazy Bones franchise after agreeing an exclusive licensing deal, CVG can reveal.

Gogo's Crazy Bones
has enjoyed huge popularity as a collectible children's toy - with shops struggling to meet demand on both sides of the Atlantic. The franchise is widely seen as second only to Pokemon in the collectible toy market.

CVG understands that Activision has signed an contract with the toy's creator, Magic Box International, with a view to releasing games on Nintendo formats.

The US publisher is thought to be keen to replicate some of Nintendo's own success with its multi-million-selling Pokemon software on DS.

Created by a Spanish family in the mid-1990s, Gogo's Crazy Bones has more recently won status as a bona fide 'craze' - with some UK schools banning the figures.

Its popularity shows no signs of stopping. A UK magazine, GoGo's Crazy Bones Mega Metropolis, launched earlier this year.

There are hundreds of plastic Gogo's characters available - with each set of three costing around 99p. Rare figures are also on sale as an incentive to keep on collecting.

CVG has contacted Activision for comment.

Personally, I've never heard of it, but I am also not the intended audience for this am i?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:06:28 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: February 21, 2010, 09:10:51 PM »
@ RS Rumor: Weren't the games developed at Factor 5's American branch (which I will mentioned was horribly ass-raped by Lair's horrible sales)? Can the German branch take up the challenge?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: February 21, 2010, 09:20:52 PM »
I think the American Branch still exist.
It's called White Harvest or something and they currently hold all the active development for the German Headquarters. Some sort of bankruptcy/startup payroll avoidance scam or something. The whole story is either in this thread or some thread on this forum somewhere. I'll look for it later.

edit: Because I know you were looking to do a little time traveling.

This is where I explain Factor 5 GmbH vs Factor 5 San Rafael (California) - May 14th, 2009
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg512020#msg512020

This is when the rumor first came up about F5 working on something - April 4th, 2009
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg500976#msg500976

This is when NWR first reported on it - June 17th, 2009
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=28616.msg522769#msg522769

edit 2: And just to tie into the Game UK Rogue Squadron listing, here is when it became pretty obvious that Rogue Squadron was still in development.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg549733#msg549733
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 11:42:16 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1934 on: February 21, 2010, 11:33:20 PM »
Activision about to challenge Pokemon
....and on it's own turf.
Activision is to release video games based on the Gogo's Crazy Bones franchise after agreeing an exclusive licensing deal, CVG can reveal.
Personally, I've never heard of it, but I am also not the intended audience for this am i?

I'm in the same boat, but I'm pretty sure this will bomb. Like it or not, a lot of these Mon games that aren't Pokemon bomb - only Fossil Fighters has charted, and that was once in a low month. If they get anywhere near the release of the 5th gen games it's going to get DESTROYED.

Remember Spectrobes?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: February 21, 2010, 11:56:35 PM »
I remember crazy bones. If you watch childrens programing you'll see the commercial for those stupid little things. I didn't know it was succesful. Maybe thats why I saw the commercials for years on end.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: February 22, 2010, 12:07:31 AM »
I remember seeing those things around 8 or 9 years ago.  I thought the fad died quickly...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: February 22, 2010, 12:41:22 AM »
Since I've never heard of Crazy bones, I decided to look it up on wiki.

Quote from: wikipedia
GameplayOther than the collectible nature of Crazy Bones there are multiple games that can be played with the figurines including;[14] There are about 40 street games with the Gogos. Some of them are:
  • Traditional - Players take turns flicking Gogos at their opponents Gogos, points are scored depending on how many of their opponents Gogos are knocked over.
  • On-Line - players throw pieces towards a line on the ground, the closest to the line wins.
  • Battle - players line up multiple pieces and flick them towards the opposing players pieces in an attempt to knock them over.
  • Bowling - players line up multiple pieces and 'bowl' a further piece at them. (Akin to ten-pin bowling.)
  • Bomber - players place multiple pieces in a circle on the ground, then throw a further piece at them in an attempt to knock them out of the circle.
  • Airborne - players throw a piece into the air, then attempt to pick up a second piece whilst the first is still in the air. They then throw the two pieces in the air, attempting to pick up a third and so on until they fail. (Akin to Jacks.)
  • Basket - players attempt to bounce pieces into a box.[/l][/l]
I hope it doesn't use friend codes ;)

I could only guess what this game is gonna be like, but I won't be waiting up at night to hear about it.[/list]

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: February 22, 2010, 01:57:48 PM »
Ignition's Shane Bettenhausen Expects DS 2 and PSP 2 at E3
Sony and Nintendo's new handhelds discussed on the latest 4 Guys 1UP podcast.

In addition to David Jaffe dropping more hints about his next game, former 1upper and now Director of Business Development at Ignition Shane Bettenhausen spoke a bit on 4 Guys 1UP about what he expects to be the big battle at E3: new handhelds from Sony and Nintendo.

"I think the big story of E3 is DS 2 and PSP 2," he stated. "I'm really excited to see that."

And though he didn't offer any details about what he knows about the platforms just yet, he did say that "the two products will be very competitive, which is something that no one experienced [before]." Meaning, in terms of their feature sets -- such as whether they'll have dual screens, touch control, etc. -- they will be very similar. "DS and PSP both existed in completely different sides sides [of the spectrum]," he said. "If those two put out similar products at the same time, it really evens the playing field."

However, with similar platforms coming it seems the importance of exclusive content will become even stronger. "I think we're going to see a lot of fights for exclusive third party games," he said. "I don't think you're going to see the big franchises across both platforms."

Sounds like quite the battle, and sounds like this year's E3 will be certainly be an exciting one.

Tegra 2 vs PSP2!!! Fight!!!

and why are they trying to make it sound like PSP2 is gonna have 2 screens?
anyone care to speculate on PSP2?

But no big franchises across both handhelds.....? guess PSP2 already lost since MH is the only BIG franchise PSP has.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: February 22, 2010, 03:11:05 PM »
PSP2 will have:

- 2 screens (one of which is a touch screen)
- Motion sensing
- Will use a Memory stick of sorts and digital distribution.

/sarcasm

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: February 22, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »
But will it be clam shell or slider in design? [not sarcasm]

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: February 22, 2010, 05:17:29 PM »
I predict the PSP2 will use Mini Blu-ray discs.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: February 22, 2010, 05:19:30 PM »
This will also never happen. Blu-ray drives are still mad expensive.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: February 22, 2010, 05:45:16 PM »
PSP2 is going to try to be the DS with one screen, better graphics, shorter battery life and a hefty price tag meaning that Sony will have completely missed the point again.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: February 23, 2010, 01:38:57 AM »
This will also never happen. Blu-ray drives are still mad expensive.

It didn't stop them from putting a blu-ray drive into the PS3.

Look, I didn't say it was a good idea. I just said I predict its what Sony will do. It might be a big mistake, but everything we know about Sony makes this a very predictable move. Was the UMD a great idea? No. Was bundling the BRD in the PS3 a great idea? Probably not. But that didn't stop Sony, so why wouldn't they do something like that a third time around?
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: February 23, 2010, 01:54:37 AM »
mini brd could actually help blu ray in the long run.
A much better move than UMD.

Makes UMD seem like a good move on the wrong medium at the wrong time.
mini brd on PSP2 could be a good move towards making the drives more mass produced and adding value to the movies you buy at a higher price which would encourage PSP2 sales if they pack in a MiniBRD with the regular BRD.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: February 23, 2010, 02:17:14 AM »
If the PS3's slot-loading disc drive were like Nintendo's and could accept mini-discs, that would work really well; too bad it's not. (It's not, right?)
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: February 23, 2010, 02:27:41 AM »
Wouldn't a mini BD drive suck a heck of a lot more power? 

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: February 23, 2010, 02:29:43 AM »
Insano: No idea.

BnM: But are they going to put movies on the PSP2? A mini-brd would cause the same problem the UMD did, in that no one wanted to buy movies that only worked on one piece of technology.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: February 23, 2010, 02:43:16 AM »
But mini brd's would work in a regular BRD player and a PSP2, that is already much more support. HD movies on the go, but probably no special features on the mBRD.

Movies started off pretty good on UMD and died off quickly when Sony didn't follow up with a standalone player that played DVD's and UMD's. You are right, who wanted a movie that only works on a PSP. mBRD shouldn't have that issue as it is a BRD that would work in a regular BRD player. I'm sure all BRD players can be firmeware upgraded to make the laser look for smaller disc than usual assuming that it reads from the outside in.

I honestly wouldn't be mad at Sony for going that route as it not only differentiates the PSP2 from the DS2, but it will make the PSP2 expensive and take it out of the same market as DS once again. It will once again be the High-end handheld, and to be honest, that is PSP's corner of the market and they should stick to that. PSP is the most successful competitor to a Nintendo handheld ever and they did it being the High End handheld, so the might as well stay on the same track and improve on past failures.

Like I said b4 I think UMD was a good idea at the wrong time with the wrong medium.
But mBRD's need to be free standing disc like GC disc and not cartridged like UMD.
It could be like the convergence of the minidisc and the UMD formats as soon as they make BRD burners affordable.