Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167405 times)

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #1775 on: February 05, 2010, 03:11:49 PM »
If a Wii HD doesn't have more horsepower or graphical capability, and it's main feature is JUST HD, what's the point of having it?  Third parties won't care, they'll probably complain about a split userbase.  Nintendo won't benefit as they would have wasted time developing an extra model of the Wii instead of perfecting its successor. 

Better to wait until the next system for HD.  That's what makes sense.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: February 05, 2010, 03:37:39 PM »
of course that makes sense, but Pale said to humor him about WiiHD.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #1777 on: February 05, 2010, 03:40:47 PM »
If a Wii HD doesn't have more horsepower or graphical capability, and it's main feature is JUST HD, what's the point of having it?  Third parties won't care, they'll probably complain about a split userbase.  Nintendo won't benefit as they would have wasted time developing an extra model of the Wii instead of perfecting its successor. 

Better to wait until the next system for HD.  That's what makes sense.
I was just speaking for my personal preference. I love my Wii games as they are but would like it all the more if everything was a little less blurry on my TV.  I would pay 250 bucks for that feature. There has to be at least a few other people out there like me.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: February 05, 2010, 03:46:58 PM »
When Nintendo released the revised NES, they removed the ability to output with Composite cables, limiting you to coax.

When they released the revised SNES, they removed the ability to use S-Video, limiting you to Composite or lower.

When they released the revised 'Cube, they removed the ability to use Component, limiting you to S-Video or lower.

And y'all think a revised Wii will feature better graphics?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1779 on: February 05, 2010, 04:11:31 PM »
When Nintendo released the revised NES, they removed the ability to output with Composite cables, limiting you to coax.

When they released the revised SNES, they removed the ability to use S-Video, limiting you to Composite or lower.

When they released the revised 'Cube, they removed the ability to use Component, limiting you to S-Video or lower.

Finally, someone that knows the score.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: February 05, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »
Even though this is probably false, I'll just post it anyway.

http://twitter.com/NGamer_mag

It would be quite crazy if true though.  I always found that some of the area's in Mario Galaxy felt like they'd work quite well for a 3D Sonic.  If Sonic is indeed playable with his own set of levels then that would be amazing. 

Great, now I actually want the rumor to be true, but I know it's more then likely false.  The thought of a great 3D Sonic is just too good to be true. :'(
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1781 on: February 05, 2010, 04:22:24 PM »
I like Rabbids Go Home.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: February 05, 2010, 04:31:09 PM »

We all benefit from your wisdom. *bows*
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: February 05, 2010, 05:40:02 PM »
Great, now I actually want the rumor to be true, but I know it's more then likely false.  The thought of a great 3D Sonic is just too good to be true. :'(
Imagine if Nintendo, of all companies, was the one that did Sonic justice in 3D...

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: February 05, 2010, 05:57:08 PM »
I would in fact buy a Dinosaur Planet'd Sonic.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: February 05, 2010, 06:22:40 PM »
Even though this is probably false, I'll just post it anyway.

http://twitter.com/NGamer_mag
We've just had some shocking news from an inside source at Nintendo: Sonic will be a playable character in Mario Galaxy 2! Wha?    about 7 hours ago   from web 

It would be quite crazy if true though.  I always found that some of the area's in Mario Galaxy felt like they'd work quite well for a 3D Sonic.  If Sonic is indeed playable with his own set of levels then that would be amazing. 

you forgot the follow up
Quote from: N_Gamer via Twitter
More teasing from our insider: Sonic levels will be in 'Green Hill Galaxy'. Matthew's nearly in tears (of despair)
http://twitter.com/NGamer_mag/status/8685960016

I don't see this happening, but if it does, could it mean that Nintendo is willing to take Sega off of Sammy's hands?
They certainly have enough disposable income to spend that they probably wouldn't even remember the making the purchase.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:26:27 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: February 05, 2010, 09:26:31 PM »
Ha ha, Sonic in Super Mario Galaxy 2, no way. If they were going to put those two in a game together, they'd have advertised that by now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: February 06, 2010, 12:42:33 AM »
Could have happened sometime after E3, maybe a late addition like he was in Brawl. Adding Sonic could potentially delay the game though, but then again, this year we're supposedly getting a new Metroid and Mario and Nintendo should push The Last Story as their Final Fantasy killer. They have a lot coming out this year as it is. I wouldn't mind a delay if Nintendo successfully brought Sonic to 3D which would only bring more Sonic and Mario, hedgehog on plumber action. Yes, on.
I don't see this happening, but if it does, could it mean that Nintendo is willing to take Sega off of Sammy's hands?
They certainly have enough disposable income to spend that they probably wouldn't even remember the making the purchase.
Isn't Nintendo against buyouts nowadays? Acquiring that major stake in Monolith Soft notwithstanding though technically wasn't a buyout seeing as Namco still owns like 16%. I don't see it happening. Nintendo let a lot of their second parties go last decade. And Nintendo would have to absorb Sega's losses, something they typically won't do. Still, it might be a good idea if only for all of Sega's IPs since no other company knows how to whore out mascots than Nintendo. Super Smash Bros. with Nintendo and Sega characters would be enough to make most of us cry/joygasm.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: February 06, 2010, 08:44:17 AM »
As impossible as I think it is I would love Nintendo to buy Sega.  They can gut the entire company and keep on the half dozen guys that are worth keeping.  Sega has an incredible list of IPs that could really go places with some actual push behind it.

Nintendo could use the Sega brand on products to create a different brand from their own.  A secondary platformer would be great for the company too as well as destroying the possible competition.

Really, not gonna happen though.  A man can dream about getting a new JSR, Panzer Dragoon vs. Starfox, bringing back the true shining force. :'(

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: February 06, 2010, 01:03:48 PM »
Nintendo could use the Sega brand on products to create a different brand from their own.  A secondary platformer would be great for the company too as well as destroying the possible competition.

This would be the best part of it. Sega could be to Nintendo what Miramax is to Disney.
Sega could be where Nintendo makes all of it's Teen & Mature Rated games so the Nintendo brand can continue to mean Family friendly and for Everyone.

Games like Regenliev could happen more often, some FPS's (Condemned) and other stuff (JSR, SC5, Sonic) would have Nintendo covering pretty much every genre with already established properties that they can now put their signature touch on without tarnishing the Nintendo Image.

Now I really want it to happen but I'm :( because I know it won't.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: February 06, 2010, 01:26:45 PM »
Dude, Disney just closed Miramax a couple days ago... not the best case scenario. Even worse, Nintendo buying Sega could turn into a situation like Vince McMahon's WCW. He got all this talent and all these assets then had no idea what to do with it.

The problem with buying Sega and gutting them is that many of their major designers from Sega's golden age are long gone, namely Yuji Naka, Yu Suzuki, and Naota Oshima. Ultimately, they do get the IPs and while Nintendo could exploit crossovers for games like Mario Party, Mario Kart, Smash etc., I wonder if they would even know what to do with say, Shining Force, especially when they have Fire Emblem.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: February 06, 2010, 01:48:45 PM »
Well, what Miramax was to Disney. They had a long run.

And if Nintendo did buy out Sega, there are a lot of starving artist out there looking for jobs. what is Yuji Naka, Yu Suzuki and Naota Oshima doing today? The lure of working on their old properties with Nintendo money and advertising support might be enough to bring them back.

As far as old IP's that Nintendo wouldn't know what to do with..... what is Sega doing with them?

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: February 06, 2010, 02:00:10 PM »
I wonder if they would even know what to do with say, Shining Force

IT's funny you should say that because Nintendo's all chummy with Camelot, and they are the original developers of Shining Force. 

A certain part of me wants Nintendo to buy out Capcom and just fire everybody and liquidate all their assets, sell off their franchises for pennies to greeting card companies, and then force their PR guys to try and spin it positively and blame America for it, before they too get fired.  But that's just me being vindictive.

Sega was worth something around 2001, coming off the Dreamcast with good games, good talent, but poor marketing skills.  I remember that Nintendo tried buying them then, and the deal was close but fell through.  Of course, that was then.  Sega's brandname is basically mud now, and they don't have very much talent anymore.  This would be a fixer-upper for Nintendo, since they'd have to work to redo Sega's image.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: February 06, 2010, 02:19:17 PM »
If any brand was ever worth fixing, Sega would be the brand.

Wouldn't be funny if the best Sonic ever was made by Nintendo?
No to mention that anybody that was an oldschool gamer (NES ERA) had to choose sides.
Now we can all conglomerate on the same system and the old school rivalry can continue.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: February 06, 2010, 02:36:52 PM »
assuming wii hd i don't see why it would be difficult to move your vc stuff.

when you go to wiishop channel it will ask you to log into Club Nintendo account. Already have one? Want to move your account to this wii? Yes-No?

just put your VC/Wiiware games on SD card and you can transfer your account.

This shouldn't be to hard to implement, just some behind the scenes stuff on nintendo's wiishop channel.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: February 06, 2010, 02:51:50 PM »
Too bad you can only have one Wii attached to your Club Nintendo account at account.
I would love to share my downloads between the two Wiis that I currently use.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 02:55:21 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: February 06, 2010, 03:11:22 PM »
As far as old IP's that Nintendo wouldn't know what to do with..... what is Sega doing with them?
True, but that's besides the point. Why should Nintendo spend millions acquiring Sega to rebuild their IPs? There are better and easier alternatives. Nintendo is what it is today by creating memorable character after memorable character. As much as I'd love to see Mr. Game and Watch ring his bell at Alex Kidd, does Nintendo really need to buy Sega just for their IPs?
IT's funny you should say that because Nintendo's all chummy with Camelot, and they are the original developers of Shining Force.
Not that Nintendo couldn't produce a good Shining Force game. I have the utmost confidence in Nintendo's ability to develop quality titles or at least hand them off to good development teams (Wario: Master of Disguise notwithstanding). Rather, I meant would Nintendo know what to do with the franchise in terms of release, marketing etc. This is a company that took some 13 years to bring over Fire Emblem, refuses to release Mother 3 outside of Japan, and publishes Mistwalker/Racjin's Archaic Sealed Heat (and possibly owns it), then doesn't bring it overseas. I'm sure I'm forgetting about more RPGs Nintendo has dicked over. A lot of Sega's IPs are second tier, niche properties. I'm confident that Nintendo never would have brought over Skies of Arcadia Legend, which was a brilliant RPG. Shining Force is a niche series with a name that's been tarnished over the years with several sh*t entries (Shining Force Neo). That's 2 strikes against it. Nintendo is a company that maximizes profits above all things.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: February 06, 2010, 03:37:37 PM »
True, but that's besides the point. Why should Nintendo spend millions acquiring Sega to rebuild their IPs? There are better and easier alternatives. Nintendo is what it is today by creating memorable character after memorable character. As much as I'd love to see Mr. Game and Watch ring his bell at Alex Kidd, does Nintendo really need to buy Sega just for their IPs?
I just explained that. Nintendo could use the Sega properties to fill in the holes in their line-up, and use the Sega brand as their Hardcore Teen & Mature games factory.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: February 06, 2010, 03:48:54 PM »
big ol' quote about RPGs

I'm playing Glory of Heracles right now, and it's a rather obscure RPG Nintendo just released.  Sure they may not localize every single one of their games, but if they went to the trouble of rebuilding Sega, I'm sure they'd want to at least try to make Shining Force marketable as it is a franchise that can be saved and they do have easy access to the original developers.

Now the stuff about Sega boning their own franchises, damn straight.  They're released like 3 times as many Shining Force games without the original creators, and they've all been horrible.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:05:27 PM by Deguello »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: February 06, 2010, 06:31:53 PM »
I just explained that. Nintendo could use the Sega properties to fill in the holes in their line-up, and use the Sega brand as their Hardcore Teen & Mature games factory.
And? My point still stands. Nintendo could always create their own brand to release "mature" titles, they don't need to spend millions to acquire Sega's losses and mostly broken IPs. The fact that Nintendo hasn't already, suggests to me that they aren't interested in either. Nintendo wouldn't even keep Rare for their IPs and they could have easily been reorganized as Nintendo's "mature" brand.
I'm playing Glory of Heracles right now, and it's a rather obscure RPG Nintendo just released.  Sure they may not localize every single one of their games, but if they went to the trouble of rebuilding Sega, I'm sure they'd want to at least try to make Shining Force marketable as it is a franchise that can be saved and they do have easy access to the original developers.
Bringing the Glory of Heracles series to the US made no sense, especially considering Mother 3 which already has a fanbase and was advertised in Brawl. As for Shining Force, I'm sure Nintendo would try, but the fact is that they've fumbled too many RPGs series to believe it'd be any different in this hypothetical situation. And it took Camelot 6 years to even announce a Golden Sun sequel. Who knows how long it take for them to even consider Shining Force IV?