Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167356 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #1750 on: February 02, 2010, 04:27:06 AM »
I would love for it to be on Wii, but I have a feeling that it won't. It just strikes me as an XBox game. Maybe because it looks like Halo.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: February 02, 2010, 10:22:42 AM »
I only just picked up P.N.03 a year or so ago, but that hardly got enough fanfare. Despite it's 3rd person perspective it played a lot like shump and if you view it as such it starts to make a lot more sense. I hope Mikami is making a similar type game with this.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: February 02, 2010, 12:46:33 PM »
If Nintendo and Platinum collaborated, it would be the sexist thing ever.

Wii or DS, though I do prefer another Wii game from them. Something less niche (third person shooter from Mikami? YES.)

Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: February 02, 2010, 01:34:51 PM »
There's no way that's going to be a TPS. The helmet of the "hero" looks too important. And I really doubt that this is being made for the Wii, but I would love to be proven wrong.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: February 02, 2010, 01:43:55 PM »
Most seem to think it's for PS3 since there was a conversation by Mikami and someone referring to a PS3 job listing not so long ago, and that is why I also didn't post the "speculation" in here, but to put up a pic showing a Wii Remote and then remove it right away is suspicious.

The same thing recently happened with Epic Mickey and another game that slips my mind, so that's why I decided to atleast post so that if it does happen, you heard it here first. If not, well then it was only speculation, right?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: February 02, 2010, 03:57:33 PM »
Just looking at that trailer, I'd say it's probably a lock on being a PS3/360 game.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: February 02, 2010, 04:31:11 PM »
I'd be happy with a multiplatform release that includes the Wii.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: February 03, 2010, 09:18:40 PM »
Devs already working on 'new Nintendo platform'..... hmmmm
The Buzz: Reveal planned for Game Developers Conference next month?
perspective shot of wii - Devs already working on 'new Nintendo...

Developers are already working on a "new Nintendo platform" ahead of a possible reveal at this year's Game Developers Conference, an industry source has told VideoGamer.com.

Earlier this morning we were contacted by an employee at a major international publisher with the following information:

"Just heard a rumour that you may be interested in: Nintendo are going to announce a new platform at GDC. Some devs have already started work on it."

Our contact had no further information about whether the new platform was a handheld, home console or something else. The source also stated that he was sure of the platform's existence, but that the GDC launch was a less certain possibility.

What is the Vitality Sensor for $500 Alex?[/quote]

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: February 03, 2010, 09:22:11 PM »
It feels way too early to be showing off a wii OR ds successor, but maybe thats just me. The DS will probably have some pretty damn long legs, especially with the DSi adding what it has. With the Wii, well I just don't want to see another GC to Wii situation happen with Zelda.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: February 03, 2010, 10:00:14 PM »
Wii is too successful right now for that to happen. For the Gamecube it had to happen, it wasn't going anywhere.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: February 04, 2010, 05:58:58 AM »
3rd pillar.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: February 04, 2010, 04:52:31 PM »
If there really is new hardware to be introduced, it will most likely be the DS2, and probably only behind closed doors to actual developers.

DS sales have long since passed their peak in Japan and there was a Ubisoft Brazil developer that stated something about being selected to do test work on the next gen handheld. There has also been the talk about Tegra in the DS2 and Tegra 2 is on it's way.
Nvidia would probably give Nintendo a sweet deal on the Tegra 2 chips just to get market share and score a HUGE account like Nintendo.

If there is a DS2 coming soon, I wouldn't expect a formal unveiling to the general public till probably TGS since it will obviously be coming to Japan first since the US is still buying up DS like crazy.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: February 04, 2010, 05:12:33 PM »
But then why would Nintendo have made the super size DSi?  I realize it probably wasn't a terribly expensive operation, but designing a piece of hardware only to have a life of 6 to 12 months just seems silly.  It is still being flooded with support from everywhere. 

The Wii is the system that needs a makeover.  But common sense has never been a trait that Nintendo demonstrates.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: February 04, 2010, 05:32:01 PM »
DSi XL is just a larger version of the DSi. It's targeted at a specific market and I don't think Nintendo was planning it being so well received.

You also have to remember that a new DS2 isn't targeted at the people that are just now buying a DS. They would be targeting early adopters as late adopters would still be buying the DS/i which would become even more attractive since the price would likely drop.

As far as a new Wii is concerned, I doubt they would break all sales records and then release a new one right after. I also don't think that new colors amounts to new hardware.

Although I wouldn't mind an upscaler and more internal memory if they ever revise the system. Not to mention the color Black being released in the US.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: February 04, 2010, 05:42:27 PM »
I like how the S and 2 kinda form a heart

"DS2--for people that S2 to play"
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: February 04, 2010, 06:25:22 PM »
ofcourse it could always be this:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=29109.msg541224#msg541224

*groan*

I'm kind of hoping a 3rd system again.  But this time a home console, and this time something with some serious grunt.  It would actually be the perfect thing to do.  Absolutely noone would expect that and would catch everyone (especially Sony and Microsoft) with their pants down.  Think about it.  They have the money to do it, and more importantly they have the spotlight and the crown for this gen. 

*Daydream bubble bursts*

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: February 04, 2010, 11:45:03 PM »
Its probably the vitality sensor or something.  The DS and Wii are simply doing too well to cut out early.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #1768 on: February 05, 2010, 12:21:35 PM »
Let's just explore the possibility that they could be announcing an HD Wii at GDC.  We all know that they don't need to from a business standpoint, but releasing products prior to a need is usually the best strategy.

The main con to doing this is that they would potentially be pissing off a significant segment of their current owners.  What could they do to solve this? Not much, but they sure as hell would need to announce some sort of "transfer" service to allow people to easily transfer their wiiware, VC, and game saves from one system to another.

But I think the whole process could be done in a way that would make the Wii a hell of a lot more attractive to potential customers.  Firstly, two things absolutely have to be done.  The WiiHD must upscale already released games to some extent to make them appear at least a little bit nicer.. kind of like what is seen in emulation.  Secondly, all WiiHD games must also be able to run at a lower resolution on standard Wiis.

Then, you drop the price of the original Wii to 149.99 and sell the WiiHD at 249.99.  Leave the original Wii on the market for about 12-18 months and then slowly phase it out around the time you can drop the price of the WiiHD to 199.99.

I think consumers would actually like this.  It wouldn't be too confusing for them (as with other multi SKU systems) because having HD as the primary difference is pretty clear to most people now.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I would pay an additional 250 dollars tomorrow to switch to an HD Wii, and keeping the current system on the market at a lesser price will actually make people who don't care about HD happy too.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: February 05, 2010, 12:54:43 PM »
In the dark recesses of my mind, there is a faint hope that the reason the Black Wii was delayed in the US was to turn it into a special HD Wii SKU with more flash memory.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: February 05, 2010, 12:57:39 PM »
Even with Wii HD, third excuse makers will still complain about stupid things.

But if it gives fantastic looking Nintendo games, by Nintendo, I might consider it.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: February 05, 2010, 01:07:38 PM »
I donn't know, I would without a doubt get it if TP and Brawl looked a bit sharber but man... There is no way Nintendo is going to try and release a true succesor to the Wii, but would they really make an HD version? There would have to be more to it. Now after reading Pale's comment, I have to wonder, is it possible to make HD games for this Wii+ (calling the name right now) and have them compatible with our current Wiis as well? That would be ideal, and would alienate no one.

If nintendo does do this, and it does well, this could be a true serious start to revising home consoles like the hand helds. I remember the SNES revision, but it was the same thing right? Just looked different? Imagine this is how Nintendo inflates sales from here on out? With handhelds it's obvious and sometimes people love to get all these new nicer versions, I know I do. But with a home console, I know I'll buy it, but I really don't want to.

Edit
I think everyone has seen this, but this came to mind. www.ignwii.com

"During the Q&A session at a recent investors meeting, Iwata was asked about Wii HD. Claiming that he'd never himself mentioned a "Wii HD," Iwata said that he wonders where in the world the rumors started.

He also provided a hint that Nintendo would't simply release an HD-ready Wii without some other improvement. "If I were asked if a Wii that's been made compatible with HD -- just high resolution compatibility -- would be bought by players throughout the world, I'd of course say, 'Do you think it will sell with just that? It needs something new.'"
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:43:09 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: February 05, 2010, 02:12:45 PM »
Pale's vision of an HD Wii is exactly the same as I had originally envisioned, but what 3rd party is gonna port their HD game and then include a modified down-ported version with SD Wii assets to go with it if they wouldn't even make a Wii version in the first place?

best case scenario, there would be WiiHD exclusive games from the 3rd parties, but then again, that might not be so bad unless they all drop SD Wii content completely.

My more realistic hope was the similar to Stratos.
Black Wii with an upscaler and atleast 2 gigs of onboard flash.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #1773 on: February 05, 2010, 02:45:51 PM »
Every HD game developed now has a downgraded version in it... because 360 and PS3s can be hooked up to SD TVs.  Dont' forget that we are only talking about resolution here (or at least I am) not increased horse power for other things.

So in the end the WiiHD that I am envisioning would still be significantly underpowered when compared to the PS3 and 360.  It would just be given enough extra juice to render a higher res.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: February 05, 2010, 03:00:43 PM »
I don't think it would work that way though, I'm also not so sure about downgraded version included in each game.

To my understanding, the game renders natively at a set resolution which is then adjusted depending on what it is outputting to. PS360games don't look like Wii games when you put them both on a SD TV.

The only way I could see it working is if Nintendo had released a scalable engine that uses HD assets and can automatically scale them down to SD resolution for backwards compatibility from WiiHD to WiiSD.

Nintendo has been spending boatloads of money on something, and that would be a major innovation if you could release a Wii2 game that could scale down to Wii specs but have Wii2 only features (like DSi and DS). People of the old Wii would still buy the games and realize that they can only access a portion of the game on a regular Wii. After a few games like that, they will feel the need to upgrade to unlock all their content and play the entire game.

I've completely moved off topic I think, but that would be a pretty good Trojan Horse on the massive Wii userbase(especially the casuals).