Author Topic: 2-3 Times as powerful as GC true, sez IGN  (Read 76697 times)

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: 2-3 Times as powerful as GC true, sez IGN
« Reply #350 on: December 15, 2005, 05:22:10 PM »
Let me help some of you out.  Graphical mapping techniques are not the 'secret.'   And take all this graphical mapping talk with a grain of salt.  The folks posting this crap treat it like holy water or the fountain of youth.  Nah just close your eyes and pretend you didn't read that ah whatever it is.  Nintendo doesn't have a monopoly on mapping techniques.  

Anyway I saw a good post on what the secret may be.  It definitely is one of the better guesses I've come across.  You know that overly  large 'A' button on the controller?  Well it's not just a button.  It has multiple functions depending on how you press it.   Simple appearance for new gamers.  Complex functionality for the hardcore.   ...which, course, is Nintendo's strat.  Best analogy I can think of is Apple's Mighty Mouse.  Simple in apperance yet actually has 4 buttons and 4 way scroll wheel.  Again just a guess but sounded like a good one.  

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:2-3 Times as powerful as GC true, sez IGN
« Reply #351 on: December 15, 2005, 06:02:53 PM »
I too read that about the A button, and I believe it is a flat out lie; Nintendo is going for simple with the controller.  At this point I don't see the B button turning out analog or the A button being combined with the d pad; its such a lame brained idea.  Its exactly the kind of stupid designs I used to doodle up thinking about the Dolphin in highschool.  I'd rather they stick with their trademarked dpad and the big A button.  Imagine the remote as a big analog stick; how many buttons do you see on your analog stick.  Its kind of difficult to keep up with too many functions when gesturing your arm.

The A button thing would be g i m m i c k y; I'd rather they put a scroll wheel on the controller.  In fact I would build one around the A button.

Most games will have mechanics of point, click, drag, and release.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 15, 2005, 06:37:05 PM »
I'd love an analog A or B button..  
I'll shut up now...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #353 on: December 15, 2005, 07:16:11 PM »
Yeah, let the complex gamers get the complex games.

DUR
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 16, 2005, 05:08:03 AM »
Analog buttons suck, all they're good for is annoying users since you can't control how you press such a small button. It works if the button can move half a centimetre or more but any less just gives developers the idea to bind multiple functions to that button.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 16, 2005, 06:00:29 AM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83
I too read that about the A button, and I believe it is a flat out lie; Nintendo is going for simple with the controller.  At this point I don't see the B button turning out analog or the A button being combined with the d pad; its such a lame brained idea.  Its exactly the kind of stupid designs I used to doodle up thinking about the Dolphin in highschool.  I'd rather they stick with their trademarked dpad and the big A button.  Imagine the remote as a big analog stick; how many buttons do you see on your analog stick.  Its kind of difficult to keep up with too many functions when gesturing your arm.

The A button thing would be sparkling innovationy; I'd rather they put a scroll wheel on the controller.  In fact I would build one around the A button.

Most games will have mechanics of point, click, drag, and release.

How can a guess be a flat out lie?  

Anyway I think the idea of it fits in well with Nintendo wanting a simple controller, but also wanting to have extra functionality for the hardcore.  For the new gamer it would just be one button.

But maybe it's programmable so it can be used as multiple buttons.  Like the left and right sides are different buttons.  If you've seen Apple's Mighty Mouse you'll know what I'm talking about.  Apple's mouse doesn't look like it has any buttons.  But it's got 4 and a 4-way scroll wheel in the shape of a tiny ball.

Anyway it is just a guess.  One of the more solid ones I've read about.  But from all reports the controller is smaller than it looks and so probably is the button.  And that doesn't help that guess.

But your nonsense about pressing multiple buttons while aiming the remote is just that- nonsense.  HOw many buttons does your TV remote have?  How would the 'A' button thing be sparkling innovationy?  If by pressing it different it can represent more buttons how's that sparkling innovationy?  

Most games will  have the mechanics of point, click, drag, release.  Ah not sure what you're talking about there.  For some of the games announced with the controller like Metroid and SSB and a Mario game I don't think that's the case.  Sure we'll point the controller.  Sure we'll press buttons.  Sure we might drag something in  a game.  But that's all rather obvious.  We're not going to be playing a Windows game of move your files to another folder.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 16, 2005, 06:18:20 AM »
"You know that overly large 'A' button on the controller? Well it's not just a button. It has multiple functions depending on how you press it. Simple appearance for new gamers. Complex functionality for the hardcore"

That sounds a little too complex.  In fact it just sounds f*cking unusable.  Analog face buttons SUCK.  How hard you push a button is usually based on how you're feeling at a point in the game.  During a very intense point you're going to press harder because you're keyed up.  You don't have time to think about how hard you're pushing a button.

Digital controls are the easiest to use because they require little thought.  It's like a light switch - on or off.  One thing I'm very concerned about regarding motion control is the "interpretation".  What I think is one movement might be interpreted differently by the game.  I don't need that sort of wishy-washy "did I do it correctly" stuff with the buttons too.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 16, 2005, 06:27:11 AM »
If I wanted analog buttons, I'd buy a PS2 controller.

Anyways, this A button idea isn't analog, so that last statement isn't really applicable. But seriously, it seems too small to incorporate hidden Multi-digital-button functions. If it did have multiple digital sensors underneath it, would it not need to be larger and shaped in such a way that clearly defined its possibly complex nature? Basically, wouldn't it need to look more like a D-Pad? That is afterall what's being proposed: the A-button having the functionality of the D-pad, but looking like an 'ol button to fool the casuals.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 16, 2005, 01:41:40 PM »
Yeah I was sorta thinking of it like a d-pad.  Or like the apple mouse where you press the right side of the top of the the mouse and it right clicks.  Press on the left side on the top and it left clicks.  But it doesn't show any buttons.

I wasn't thinking analog button at all.  Ah well given some of the comments about the small size of the remote it's probably not it.  

But I haven't heard any good guesses yet as to what 'secret' there is left to tell.  

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #359 on: December 16, 2005, 08:38:11 PM »
Actually, that A button comment reminded me of the iPod.  Maybe it will be touch-sensitive like the iPod's little circle.  Rub your thumb clockwise/counterclockwise around the A button for scrolling functionality!
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline rhahertyehbah

• View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 17, 2005, 08:10:51 AM »
It is so small.  I doubt Nintendo would add an "A button that works like a d-pad" when they could just put on another d-pad.  Why make it more confusing?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 17, 2005, 10:22:14 AM »
"Yeah I was sorta thinking of it like a d-pad. Or like the apple mouse where you press the right side of the top of the the mouse and it right clicks. Press on the left side on the top and it left clicks. But it doesn't show any buttons."

But then you'd be taking away resistance - resistance on buttons while playing a game is extremely important.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 19, 2005, 07:56:37 AM »
Nintendo's strategy isn't just about making it look simpler, it's about making it actually simpler.  If people find out there are a bunch of functions "hidden" in the controller, that would be just as bad as having lots of visible buttons.  It's like the button click in the Xbox control sticks - it's a clever way to stick some extra functionality in there, but I was shocked and a little annoyed when I was told they were there...I was missing out on game controls because the controls weren't visible to me.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 19, 2005, 11:55:58 AM »
But in this case the "hidden functionality" is more natural...*broken record* (I hate repeating myself)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #364 on: December 19, 2005, 12:30:24 PM »
WILL IT HAVE CONNECTIVITY
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 19, 2005, 06:22:59 PM »
Ok I have FINALLY gotten through the entire thread and have decided I would goa  head and throw my own comments your way peoples. Ok I want to start off by pointing out a few examples from the past regarding Power and such.

Way back when the SNES was around its major competitors (regardless of "generation" crap people spill) were the

Sega Genesis (EQUAL power less colors faster cpu better sprites slightly less ram and expansions that actualy got USED, equal size cartsCd Expansion, Equal large library)

Neo Geo (ALmost but not quit twice as powerfull, several times the ram, far more colors, FAR suprerior Sprites, many expansions, bigger carts, faster cpu, CD Expansion, slightly smaller library)

Turbo Graphic-16 (basicaly equal power, less ram, less colors, similar sprite capabilities, far smaller "cart" size CD Expansion, slower CPU, far smaller library"

3Do (AT LEAST double power, cd media equald FAR larger storage capacity, FMV capabilities built in, better 3d capabilities, far superior sprite capabilities, far more colors, far superior CD sound, far smaller library)

Atari Jaguar (SEVERAL times more power full, several times faster, far more colors, larger cart sizes, cd expanio, far more ram, FAR smaller game library, far superior 3d and 2d capabilities.)

Yet all these systems which are mostly far superior in power with Genesis and turbo graphix being only exceptions, SNES still oput solld ALL of these, and then some. Even on that same note the SNES was NOT 3 times as powerfull as NES, it was basicaly twice as fast, 3 times the sprite capabilities, tripple the ram, and tahst about it, well and cart siszes were larger and Steroe sound was built in. Look up the specs of these systems and then checkout some screen shots and game fotoage and you will see that the NES-SNES conversin was NOT much bigger that what is so far peroted as 2-3 times GC leap has been rumored to be.

Next I woudl liek to also point out that 3D0, Neo Geo AND Atari Jaguar ALL were FAR superior to SNES in EVERY convievable way with 1 exception software, also these systems were several times more expensive. Snes in itw prime was between 150 and 200 dollars demending on bundles and core unit combinations. Neo Geo was 1000 in its prime an games were well over 100 dollars each. 3D0 launched and stayed close to 700 dollars durring same time span, Atari Jaguar was launched around 350 and didnt go down for a while.

The SNES being INFERIOR to these systems still managed to out sell them all three COMBINED, due to thei software lineup and smaller price.

I had a Genesis first and SNES way latter, and I could never for teh life of me figure out how either systems out sold the neo geo! Seriously its that much better but the price was what killed it.

NExt I would like to make a few comments regarding the last gen verses next gen. First I agree mostly with Ian Sane but I have more to add so bear with me.

First I agree totaly that Nintendo killed the n64 way too early and had a way too buig gap between it and GC. SNES continued to get games three years into N64s life cycle and same with NES to SNES.

Second the GC was underhyped, Nintendo didnt do much at all to tell people hwo great it was or what it could do, instead they simpley thought thier brand name alone was sufficient.

Third there were too few decent games at launch and it took way too long afterwards to get some good games, Ps2 launched with triple the number of games as GC and Xbox double, its not so much weather tehyw ere good or not but it was the fact people could see there was enough variety to justify the purchase becaus ethey enw more games were on teh way, where as GC it was like you eithe rliked the few games at launch and were williong to stick it out or you waited to see if some good games woudl come out or not (ME I waited untill the 99 dollar prioced drop cuz it took THAT long to get enough games for me to consider it good enough to buy)

Then Nintendo focused too much on over hyping new games liek Pikin which to me were to wierd to gey int (yes I tried it but I hated the game)

They could have spent more time hyping games that people would have appealed to mroe pople, like Eternal Darkness or Metroid Prime (which is bad marketing on thoier part cuz I NEVER heard of ET untill LAST YEAR, anmd Metroid I was never that into but got Prime eventualy after Echos came out cuz I wanted it but need to play the first game first.)

Then there was teh fact that PS2 AND Xbox could also play DVDs yet GC couldnt THIS IS *THE* mistake that killed them plain and simple. In the first year of the current get DVD players were still rather expensive and not quit as popular as VHS. nearly EVERY PERSON I KNEW was either getting a ps2 or xbox simply cuz they could play dvds AND games. less than a year latter DVD players Drop dramaiticaly in price, and they practicaly erase vhs from peoples minds.

The online thing is debatable rememebr Nintendo worked with Sega to get TWO Phatasy Star Online games for GC and one was EXCLUSIVE at first. Nitendo had a chance to say make Mario Kart DD online and Star Fox Assault but they chose not to cuz it wouldnt be proffitable, BULLS**T, they wouldnt have to buld any infrastructure at all they just woudl have to host a coupple games thaty would have made up the cost in sales and subscription or they could have done waht sony did and just factor the onine cost into the game eitehr way it could have been profitable or at least WOULD have sold some more systems cuz then people wouldt have that excuse not to but it and YES judgeing by the number of people who got Xbox Live and how Xbox over took Nintendo youd bea  *&*&img idiot not to see the connection.

Last I will address 3rd party support, Nintendo did EVERYTHING they could to get stellar support but after companies LOST money porting games over they jumped ship, not to mention that early 2003 Nintendo STOPPED prodcution even only temproarily of GC it turned MANY developers away, cuz they saw this as Nintendo trhowing in teh towel so to speak, go back and re-read your magazine form this time period and you will see this was THE TIME when the 3rd parties companies left. Factor 5, Sega Sports (changed to 2k sports and sold to Take 2, Midway, Lucas Arts (aBIG loss regardless of what anyone says otherwise), Namco, even Kanomi all mentioned they were threw with GC, Nintendo had to dropp the price, BRIBE three of those companies to stay and still suffered losses. Namco agreed to stay because Nintendo agreed to let them use Link in thier Sould Calibur 2 game, which was at teh time percieved as a move that would attract more peopel to teh Cube version of the game. Even Atari had said they were gonna leave GC but Nintendo paid them to get Budakai and a hand full of other games since. M<idway ONLY ported MK 6 due to overwhelming fan demand only to be rewared with crappy sales (yeah Nintendo fans bitched hard enough to get that game and we didnt even buy it)
Midways Arcade Treasures 2 was ONLY ported because Midway knew that Nintendo fans had a strong attachment to most of those games simply becaus ein their hayday they were available on NEs or SNES and Nitendo fans would be nostalgic for them and cuz its a bargian game that was a quik port to get extra money.

If itw asnt for EA, THQ, Activision and SEGA maintianing support GC would have died in 2004. Nintendo BARLEY sold equal with Xbox (the year before) and it took a HUGE price cut and a special pack in to get that much support back.

Capcom was iffy to begin with and theres nothing Nintendo could have done to fix that Capom just plain screwd Nintendo over in the 64 days by only making what was it three games, all crappy ports to boot.  The Resident Evil ports and remakes dindt mean s*** to people who had a ps2 cuz all those games were already playable on it one way or another

Looking back I remeber ever time Nintendo would release one of those Holiday shopping guides I woudl start to get excited about somthing then realized that after no one else did it wasnt going to take off. I had high hopes for GB Player but yet Nintendo screwed that up. I had faith in E-reader simply cuiz Mario 3-e and again thew screwed that up, then Mario PArty E and those NES games could have some difference if Nintendo had chosen to make more games available and kept them as e-reader games instead of re-realsing them as GBA games and over pricing them and killing off e-reader.

The other mistakes they made were mostly image and marketing mistakes and so far they havent done much to improve those much. Dont get me wrong I have full faith in the Virtual Console to sell Revs and the free online and if they get some good FPS games and some good Online games theres a winning combination, me persoanly (Adn damn you if you flame me for my own opinions) I hate the new controller and so do most people I show it to, it wont fix any gameplay issue only create new barriers, deves taking longer to test thier control schemes is what will imrpiove game play and devs trying new things could work without teh remote control device. However that desont mean it wont bea  success but if not for the Shell I garuntee you I would pass the rev up all together simply cuz I have aDS and all the old systems.  For me GC was mosty dissapointemnts witha few great games mixed with a bunch of crap. To spell it out clearer (and I know MOST of you will diagree but I dont give a*^&*) I hated Pikmin, Paper Mario, Sunshine, Luigis Mansion, Pikmin 2, Animal Crossing, MK Double Dash ALL the mario sports games, every mario party game past 4, F-Zero, and even hated Wind Waker (GASP!)

I dint like and do play MK Deadly Allience, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, Sonic ADventure 1-2 and Heroes, DBZ Budokai, True Crime, Sould Calibur 2, most EA games yes I even loved rogue agent, and games like Star Wars Lego and teh TMNT games, ammong others. I play a lot more than just nintend 1st party games alwasy have been a bigger SEGA fan than Nintendo so I had hopes for Sega making more games for system too, yet I always chose Nintendo over Sony anyday for various reasons. Yet I eventualt caved in and now have the other 2 (thanksa fu%&ink lot Nintendo dumb @$$es! ) seriously I have lost alot of faith, but I haev been playing games since Atari 2600 so have seen giants come and go and yet they remian so they must be doing something right and dmanint I have faith that even if REV isnt as powerfull as Ps3 they can still KILL SONY! if yo manage to read this entire post props to you and pat yourself on the back, if yu got beef wit me or my OPINIONS bring it, if you try and refute FATCS I will reply but as of right now I and all of you only have 3 things to go on, the past,m the present and SPECULATION. Thats it. The past shows us GIANTS can fall yet Nintenod somehow stays around, the present shows us that Nintendo is regaining some midnshare and image plus alot of repsect, the future is up in the air but take everythig togetehr and you will see theres a lot fo reasons to believe Nintendo will come out on top next gen cuz they so far are fixing the MAJOR problems, yet tehres a few areas tehy need to work on, but Ill save that for another post cuz DAMN! just reading this monster hurts!

"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 19, 2005, 09:22:03 PM »

Then Nintendo focused too much on over hyping new games liek Pikin which to me were to wierd to gey int (yes I tried it but I hated the game)
If anything, they under hyped Pikmin; as they did with most their games, including, yes, Eternal Darkness and Metroid Prime. In the perfect world, Pikmin would have been the best seller on ALL the consoles this gen, because it was so original and creative... but the videogame industry has become so stagnant that it's scary...

I don't mind if you don't like the controller, but please wait until some games are actually shown before you say that it will create new barriers etc..

You analysed the third party situation very well, actually. The fact is that it's true; Nintendo fans won't buy the third party garbage... only amazing games sell decently. But look back at the SNES era - third party sales were extremely strong. That's because there was a larger userbase and those other gamers who buy those types of games were part of it, and the SNES was their primary system. Like the PS2... If Nintendo can attract a larger userbase for the Rev consisting of people other than hardcore fans, then the games will start selling again. But instead of getting those other gamers which migrated to Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo is trying to create a whole new audience in non-gamers. As has been said, it's risky but if it works, it has great potential... the non-gamers could get interested in other types of games, and also, there will be more third party support is the userbase is strong regardless of the demographic.

But that's the thing that worries me about this "second system" stuff; if many people buy the Rev as a second system, multiplatform sales will just be horribly low. As it is, developers are definitely going to make games with the 360 and PS3 & HD in mind, then scale them back quickly to port them on the Rev. It's bad enough that the Cube getting the worst ports gives it a bad image... So if this happens, a lot of support will dry up. But again, if the userbase is high enough, it won't really matter, as the Rev will get a significant amount of exclusives.

You are an atypical NIntendo gamer - you say that you like Mortal Kombat, EA games, True Crime etc, but you hated Pikmin, Sunshine, Wind Waker, F-Zero etc.. So you really do have a unique viewpoint of things. I won't tell you what to like or not, but I'm just saying that your tastes are quite abnormal. Did you like any first party games this gen?

Also, I don't think that the DVD thing was all that important. You said it was the deciding factor, but the Cube is last for a slew of reasons, and DVD certainly wasn't that important. Maybe at the beginning of the generation, it sold some PS2s and Xboxes, but DVD prices got progressively cheaper, and only a little into the generation it wasn't a selling point. And anyway, you had to buy a lot of extra stuff for DVDs on the Xbox. I actually think this helped Nintendo a bit in one regard - software tie-in ratio. DVDs have nothing to do with games, and the people that bought PS2s and Xboxes because of the support likely bought less games. Look at the PSP tie-in ratio - it's the same situation; people look at it as a media player and the few games that are available don't sell well. This drives developers away, and that's why Nintendo has always been about the games. Looking at the next generation, Sony and MS are moving further away from gaming and I don't like it at all...
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 20, 2005, 05:31:07 AM »
Animecyberrat you say one very important thing. With the GC, Nintendo did a lot (though not everything) to try to regain third party support. Yet still it all came to nothing.

That's why it's so important for them to stand out now, shoot for a low price point and try to grab as much userbase as possible. Where moneyhats have failed before (probably because no matter what happens, Microsoft moneyhats are bigger), Nintendo needs SOMETHING to work to gain third party support, and now they're trying to expand their market segment beyond the hardcore gamers who don't buy third party games on Nintendo systems, but into a new, open-minded and possibly lucrative non-gamer and casual-gamer segment.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 20, 2005, 06:19:13 AM »
well to answer Ice Cold Yes I did buy a lot of 1stparty games inhopes theywould be good, I bought Smash Bros, which I love, I bought sunshine and hated, I bought Luigis mansion I bought Star Fox Adventures, My absoulute favorite GC game so far but most people disgree. I ama an old school gamer, I like games that are remeniscant of my childhood, plain and simple I dont like what some peopel call fresha nd new its not fun to me. I would not call Doom 3 or MK 6 Stagnant, to me they build upon whats already great about a good franchise, I thik that if these games had come srtaight over to teh CUbe with out delays or cancelations Nintendo fans would be bashing them. Let me put it into perspective.

Back in SNES days Doom came out on SNES and Nintendo fans were throwing that in Sega fans faces cuz it DINDT come to Genesis, then N64 got a Doom remake and Nintendo fans were bragging about that, GC Doom gets canceled and Nintendo fans say Doom syucks, geta life, tahst my repsonse. Doom si a great friggin game but just cuz it didnt get put on Nintyendos system now its stangant and stale and sucks, tahst the kind of bitching i hate from Nitendo fans. OPbviously ltheres enouugh people out tehre that think these games you call stale are great otherwise they wouldnt oput sell the new stuff, cuz people buy what they LIKE.

I like MK because I was tehre when it came out and its a game I grew up on, just as much as Mario same as Doom, these gam,es are all childhood favorites for me there fore I will always get them because theyalways provide me with a remensciant experience that I enjoy, its the same with mario games and Zelda, except this gen I mario didnt feel like Mario and Zelda didnt feel like Zelda. YES I loved the cartoon graqphics of WW it was fun to actualy get to play a cartoon looking game especialy since I always dreamed games would get to this point, but the game was not fun to playa nd didnt feel like Zelda at all, Zelda games always have Hyrule and
Ganon, and Moblins and Octos, and Triforce, and things like that, yet Wind Waker had Pirates and crap, it would have been a far better game if it hadnt been Zelda at all, Zelda has a different feel to it.

Same with Sunshine heres what I hated about that, and MOST people I know who hated it agreee with me cuz they also grew up with Mario bros.

First once again it was a crappy 1 player game not good for a Mario Bros game (pisses me off Luigi cant even get into games anymore) it wouldnt have been hard at all to have turn based gameplay like old school mario. Second Mario Bros games, even Mario 64, always had fire flowers, Magic Mushrooms, Goombas, Koopas, Buzzy Beetles, Boos, Bricks you broke with your head, Gold Coins, things like that were absent from Sunshine, again it was a fun game but it didnt "feel" at all like Mario and there fore didnt deserve the titles and wasnt worethy pf my playing. Thats how I viewed it and all my friends also who chose Ps2 because it had MORE fun games to chose from, I was always content but never satsified with my Cube.

Next I will mention Wario World. I forgot about this game because i had higfh hopes it would be teh Mario game that sunshine wasnt, and again it was nothing like the Wario or Mario games I was familiar with so I didnt like it much, If teh main character was someone else it would have been different cuz I wouidl have figured it was justa nother crash banditoot and would have played it just for fun, whihc i did for a while but it wasnt that good to me.

Metroid Prime and Star Fox Adventures so far have been theonly 1st party games this Gen I thought were excelent enough to stand up to thier names and provide me with hours of fun. Star Fox sorta made up for teh Zelda game but not enough, TW better deliver or I might pass on rev altogether. Well no cuz I will buy it for the old games plain and simple.

As for the revmote It will creator barriers i dont have to play it to knwo that people will and already are scared to try it out taht alone truns peopel away and thats a barrier. Yes I am willing to gvie it a try and see if it can change my mind, but I know alot of people who arent and they are the people Nintendo needs to attract cuz they are like me, they dont stick to 1 console unless it provide them with enough content to keep them occupied.

I have hopes for Rev to get the next Quake and Doom gamnes cuz ofteh remopte and hope they will be cool enough to make up for not getting them this gen, same with Area 51 another game that could have easily worked on Cube but got canceled cuz of thier last place possition.

I think Nintendo did a lot to attract 3rd party dev tis gen, actualy teh only thinsg they could have done better were to make just 1 frigign online game to set the standard and tahst woudl have atrracted more devs, then those 3rd party games that got canceled due to no online wouldnt have had that excuse.

I am glad that Gun and True Criome new york still got ported as well asl Def Jam and the X-men Legends games, most of teh 3rd party games I care about get on teh cube and the few rare 1st and second party titles I like more than jsutify my purchase, but I felt left out not getting a dvd player and online suport, simpley cuz everyone else did, it may have not been a factor to you but it was to millions of other in teh begining, when iT MATTERED. The first two years of a consoles life are the most important and durring that time period many peopel were turned away by that one little flaw, it WAS a decideing factor cuz I know SEVERAL people who loved teh cube but didnt getone cuz Ps2 could play movies,a nd the FACT, taht dvd sales skyrocketed and prices wnet down reflected this, not just Sonly but eveyr movie indusrty leader admited this was the factor that drove DVD popularity, like it or not its a proven FACT. It wont fix the problem now cuz DVD players are so cheap no one cares if tehr ev plays tjem or not, but back when GC came out people did so tahst when it maters duh it dont matter now and tahst why providing the dvd player now isnt gonna solve any problems.

I dontmean to sound angry cuz I am not I love my GC and have more than 30 games for it, several are exclusives not 1st party exclusives but exclusive none the less and yes I got RE 4 and its  kept me busy for awhile too.

I was mostly idspointed by no Doom or Quake or ANY good 1st person shooters, Sure they arent my favorite genere but teh lack of them was really felt. Also Fighting games are one of my favorite generes and the disapointing line up one cube has left a sour taste in my mouth. What would it hurt to put Capcoms Street Fighter Anniversary Collection on cube, or how about Tekken or Viurtua Fighter? Tahst what got ot me, especialy when i saw PS2 get so many great Fighting games like Samurai Showdown and King of Fighters and GC gets crap I het disapinted. I was ok with MK 5 and would have got Mk 6 buy was turned off by the delay and the fact that they left out the online even though they said it would be there. Again if Nintendo woudl have just made 1 online game that sold decent others games wouldnt have ahd to suffer.

I dont care too much about online but I have friends all across the country and would have liked to play them online but only way I could have done that was geta ps2 and that wsnt gonna happen till this year.

So again if t wasnt for EA providing me with some 007 and Need For Speed and Segas SOnic games and Activisons action titles I would have given up on Cube back when the F&**ed FF:CC/ . I forgot to mention that I liked Zelda FOur swords and Pac Man vs but agian not having froiends with GBAs made that hard for me to get anything out of. Also since my friends allgot ps2 or xboxes tehre were few times we would get togetehr and play anytign on my cube if it wasnt for Mario Party and Smash BRos none of them woudl have ever played it, nor goten one of thier own eventualy like some did. Theres more games I did like than didnt like and thast why I am content but a lot of teh games I wanted that got cancelled pissed me off untill I decided why not just geta Ps2 and get the games I want. I dont want to do that next gen even though i usualy do anyways.

Back in 802 I had an Atari 2600 and maintain it was better than anything else untill NES, which I got and then when 16 bit started I switched to Gensis cuz for me it was better, then AFTER the N64 came out I finaly went back and got aSNES cuz they were cheap enough. I skiped Satrun and got a Ps1 and N64 same day to compaore them and see which one gave me most games to play, surprisingly enough Nintendo won for me that round cuz only ps1 gamesI ever played were Mk Trilogy, Tekken 3 and FF7. N64 brought me Doom, quake (both better than ps1 counterparts) Mario 64 A true mushroom kingdom Mario experience, Zelda OOT, Mario Party 1-3.

MK Trilogy, MK 4, Crusin USA, Killer INstinct Gold, and too many to name right now. Yes 64 was lacking in 3rd party support but because games were harder and took longer to make on it they generaly came out better cuz devs took more time to finish the games, GC people got sloppy. With Rev it shoule be teh other waya rond considering if its true it runs on similar to GC architacture cus DEves ownt have to learn it like they will PS3 and 360. Rememebr teh satrun was superior to Ps1 in graphcis and had better 1st party games and good 3rd party suport for a while and lost because devs had a ahard time making games work properly on its complicated structure, this could repeat itself with ps3. Saturn only had 2 processors and 2 Gapchics chips, PS3 has way more than that to deal with so it could take longer to get full potential and its likely rushed incomplete sloppy games will plague it just like Saturn.

As for 360 I expect it to do worse than 1st xbox but I wont get int o teh whys just yet. I actualy enjoy discussing this stuff with you guyts so if you have more to add or have a different piont of view pelase share. Also I um want to gve Ian some props for having to constantly fend off peoples attacks cuz I see alot of times he makes good sense, not always but sometimes he does in fact see what some of ya all dont. I never have bene a fanboy of any company except maybe Sega but they also have lost my trust. I just like to play video games for various reasons and alwasy liek a good variety I cant ever play the same thing for too long.

"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 20, 2005, 07:23:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
But in this case the "hidden functionality" is more natural...*broken record* (I hate repeating myself)

I disagree, I just don't see multi-functional buttons as being natural.  Unless you're referring to moving the controller in 3D space.  That's "hidden" functionality that I can totally agree with, because it's not just some extra digital click, it's a whole method of control in and of itself.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX