Author Topic: Anyone else looking forward to Soul Calibur 2?  (Read 8846 times)

Offline Razex

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Anyone else looking forward to Soul Calibur 2?
« on: February 13, 2003, 02:49:27 PM »
I've been playing a ton of Soul Calibur lately, ever since I took out my Dreamcast after having it packed away for a few months. I just can't wait for a new version with updated graphics, new moves, new characters (Link!), and that weapon master mode sounds pretty damn cool. I'm just a little anxious considering it's not coming out until August! But, if it is a worthy sequel to what is possibly the best fighting game ever, I'll be playing that game for another 4 years like with the original. Hopefully, I will have more competition this time around, since only one of my friends has DC and Soul Calibur, and at least 4 of my friends will buy SC2, although not all for GC.  

Offline JSR

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 02:57:10 PM »
I'm looking forward to SC2 a lot! I loved the original (even though I never owned it) and I’m sure this one will be even better. Plus Link’s in it!

It’s still coming out in August, right?
It's Random and It's Nintendo - Random Nintendo

Offline ShutEye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 03:36:05 PM »
Oh god yes! There is an arcade by my work that has one. The game is fantastic. Here's hoping the one player options live up to SC1. The history of the world  mode (or whatever adventure was called) remains the single best fighting game console addition ever. More games need music that good.

Offline Razex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 03:45:23 PM »
Man that is awesome, you've already played SC2...I don't have any arcades worth a damn within miles of my house. And yea, Mission Battle mode was awesome, it took a good amount of time to beat, too. It got really hard toward the end, too. I actually threw one my controllers across the room. When I finally had beaten every battle and unlocked everything and had bought all the art....I was so damn happy...I was just a bit mad that the only reward was a new title screen background. Anyway, SC2 looks like it's going to be awesome.

Offline Marufy007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2003, 04:32:28 PM »
hell yeah im buying this baby!

a question i have is will Cervantes be in this game?
Save the best for last!
CLASS OF 99!!!
Maruf

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2003, 05:10:41 PM »
Yes, Cervantes is in the game, as well as a "surprise" character seen before in another game. Sadly, Cervantes' voice isn't as cool as it was in SC or even Soul Blade, IMO. i'll admit though, for most of us the voices will never seem as cool as they were in Japanese, simply because of the fact that they were in Japanese.

i'm sure Namco will do a great job bringning SCII to consoles, i just wish they would have kept conquest mode from the arcade. In conquest mode, you pick a username and password, and a character. That username is locked to that machine, so no one else can use it once you register. Afterwards, you choose one of two parties, each each with their own win/loss ratio. It continues to breakdown until you face a group of ten fighters, all recorded AI characters (explained next).

The cool thing is that when in conquest mode, it tracks everything you do from what moves you perform, accuracy, score, etc. After each fight is over, you're presented with a radar chart (the kind used in Phantasy Star Online to rate character classes) of your play characteristics. After you've defeated each group, you're given the option to fight the character you've created, which is sometimes really eerie. The first times you play, your character will be a pushover. But as you play more, and vary your attacks, it becomes tougher and more diverse. It's odd to get beaten using your own character and your own techniques.

It's been done before (Virtua Fighter 2 was the first), but given that SCII is one of the best 3D fighters to date, it would make it even better. With the ability to upload files to the net via USB to memory card adapters, you could conceivably "play against" your friend or against some of the worlds best players, which many people never get to do.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Icons by Size

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2003, 05:19:18 PM »
Of course I will buy the sequel to the best fighting game in the world.
Deftones own.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2003, 05:21:58 PM »
I think a better question would be is anyone actually not looking foward to SC2.  I mean the 1st game was just so good that the only people who I know that didn't like it, were the victims sorry enough to play against me over and over.  But in all seriousness it is going to be good with no doubt.  i have MKDA and LOVE it, but i severely need SC2 in my life.  Tick Tock.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline David G

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 05:24:30 PM »
I'll probably pick it up on xbox and gamecube just for the extra characters.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2003, 05:54:48 PM »
I will be buying it. But probally only the Gamecube version. The DC game was great. And SC2 has been in the "local" arcade for awhile.  
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2003, 06:51:59 PM »
New SC2 pics

Link looks good in red.

Offline Marufy007

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2003, 05:26:46 AM »
since the characters say actual sentences when they win...will Link actually talk? or will he do the usual grunt?  
Save the best for last!
CLASS OF 99!!!
Maruf

Offline Icons by Size

• View Profile
Soul Calibur 2 Discussion
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2003, 06:10:36 AM »
thats a good question but why doesnt anyone in zelda ever talk?
Deftones own.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2003, 08:01:35 AM »
If Link talks, I will mute the television and turn subtitles off.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2003, 10:29:29 AM »
LOL paladin, so will i. Link shouldnt talk at all, its just wrong.

Offline Marufy007

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2003, 10:36:06 AM »
ha ha especially if he says the typical Soul Calibur phrase: Burn in Hell or See you in Hell. whatever it was they would say!

"This soul strengthens the power of the Triforce."

that might not be bad either

Save the best for last!
CLASS OF 99!!!
Maruf

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2003, 11:16:37 AM »
It's one of the charms of Nintendo that they make characters that usually say whatever you want them to, and they achieve this by having them say nothing.  I love the Hero Of Few Words thing Nintendo does with Link, for instance.  I can't tell you how many great games have been severely broken by UTTERLY ANNOYING LEAD CHARACTERS.  Prime Example: Final Fantasy X.  If you liked Tidus, I feel so, so sorry for you.  Horrible acting and worse writing.  Okay, sorry about that...

Anyway, it seems like surely they will have Link speak, but all I can say is this: if they do, it had better be perfect.  Namco, you're walking thin ice, baby!!!!!!!!!!  ;-)
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline OsonCubed320

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2003, 01:06:40 PM »
Hello Everyone. I have but one question. Do you think that the Gamecubes controller will be a problem. Just wondering. Thanks.

Offline Marufy007

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2003, 01:22:23 PM »
oh boy THIS question again

as far as im concerned, i own MK: DA for Cube and so does my friend who HATES the cube controller for fighting and we both agree that fighting games arent THAT bad on the cube. yes the D pad is small but we both play MK effectively and without problems. this is a Midway game as well. since Soul Calibur is a Namco game (and yes this is biased logic but so what?) then i KNOW SC2 for cube wont be a problem. half the time its a problem because one person started bittching about something and then someone else hears it and then it starts spreading among others faster then AIDS in Africa! sorta like this whole KIDDY image thing!

but now that im done turning this message into a rant (when i didnt want to) i think im going to go back and play MK: DA now some more so i can be pissy with how bad the cube controller is for it, its not the best but its not as bad as people want to make it out to be!

really, im not usually this rude...i guess i just got aggravated!  
Save the best for last!
CLASS OF 99!!!
Maruf

Offline OsonCubed320

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2003, 03:53:01 PM »
Sorry Marufy. I just really haven't played Soul Calibur to tell you the truth. I try and try to play Street Fighter on the Cube but I just can't do it. I was just wondering how the gameplay in Soul Calibur was and I wasn't sure how it would mix with the Cubes controller. Don't get me wrong, I love the cubes controller, I personally think it feels like a soft velvet golve in my hand. lol. Only I have had bad attempts with Bloody Roar(horrible game to start with) and Street Fighter. Soul Calibur looks great and I just was hoping the controller wouldn't falw it. I am sure it won't. Thanks.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2003, 04:16:14 PM »
There's four attack buttons in SCII; A (horizontal attack), B, (vertical attack), K (kick), and G (guard). If you want more, visit Game FAQs.

i think most people would agree Street Fighter games are best played when the attack buttons have a linear layout, or at least something more traditionally structured than what the GC controller has, which is part of the reason why i passed on Capcom vs. SNK 2 for GC. It's also available for Xbox and PS2, and Dreamcast as an import, if you're interested.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2003, 04:40:35 PM »
I have had the opportunity to play SoulCalibur II in my local arcade, and from my experience, I foresee no problem with the Gamecube controler for this game.  As aoi tsuki posted before me, the Street Fighter games lend themselves strongly to a linear arcade layout; because of their play mechanics and combo system.  The mechanics and combat system of SoulCalibur II would lend themselves just fine to a Gamecube controler in my opinion, and wouldn't share the same controler problems as a Street Fighter game would.  SoulCalibur II only has three attack buttons and a guard button, and the Gamecube has 4 buttons right on its face; the B, A, X, and Y buttons. It should work out fine.  
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2003, 04:46:30 PM »
Oh, and if they have Link speak, they are going to have to do it so well it knocks everyone's socks off, or else they are going to have TON of pissed off Nintendo fans.

Also, I wish there was a way to unlock Link in the arcades; I want to start whooping ass with him now!  
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."