Linked Events

• NSMB Wii release: November 15, 2009

Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. Wii  (Read 226846 times)

Offline Snipper64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Snipper64
Re: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2009, 03:08:53 PM »
I seriously think the coloured Toads are placeholders, I wouldn't conclude they will end up in the final product. The fact that neither Toad sports the colours of the usual Toad (red spots w/ blue vest) really makes me believe this.

Wario and Waluigi would be so cool... Waluigi needs to make his platforming debut!

I just want to remind everyone, walugi is twice as big as mario, and scaling him down for a fair fight on DS againts the other three would make him look poor, and without walugi, warios chance of being in it is lowerd... But who knows, we all could be in for a last min shock... perhaps unlockable charectors perhaps?
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2009, 03:12:56 PM »
It's only two GameCubes, not three.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Snipper64

• View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2009, 03:18:03 PM »
lol, I just notice the title of this post : New Super Mario Bros. Wii....

I just saw that "wii" in there. I disliked the first one, but at least the multiplayer, and it's compatible size was promising... Without wifi, and lack of travelability, this game is looking worst and worst :( To bad...

Any of you agree that it was better suited for ds? Whats so special about this one that it couldn't do on the ds? And if anyone says "motion controls" please consider its a platformer... Also, graphics look the same, a bit more refine, but not much better...
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2009, 03:18:42 PM »
It's only two GameCubes, not three.

if only they hadn't ran out of duct tape.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 03:21:30 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2009, 03:20:56 PM »
lol, I just notice the title of this post : New Super Mario Bros. Wii....

I just saw that "wii" in there. I disliked the first one, but at least the multiplayer, and it's compatible size was promising... Without wifi, and lack of travelability, this game is looking worst and worst :( To bad...

Any of you agree that it was better suited for ds? Whats so special about this one that it couldn't do on the ds? And if anyone says "motion controls" please consider its a platformer... Also, graphics look the same, a bit more refine, but not much better...
The point of this games existence is to spur sales of the Wii to DS like levels.
NSMB on DS is selling fine and doesn't need another sequel on DS right now, but Wii is not selling very well in Japan and needs a BIG boost.

in other words; take what worked on DS and try to replicate it on the Wii.

Offline Snipper64

• View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2009, 03:28:49 PM »
ok, so basically a "Eat whats on your plate" deal...

Thanks for clearing it up! Also to be fair for the game, they will most likely put new motion control mini games in it (I hope at least), so that could be cool, but still doesn't make up for the rest of the downers...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2009, 03:31:34 PM »
I think flight items tend to be gamebreakers. The propeller suit is probably all we'll see of flight (besides, no two Mario games have used the same flight item I think).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2009, 09:02:10 PM »
I seriously think the coloured Toads are placeholders, I wouldn't conclude they will end up in the final product.
I swear I will boycott Nintendo if those mushroom people or Toad are not in the final product. There's no reason for them not to be there.
Just one Toad is enough though, there doesn't need to be more.

Surely it'll change to Peach and Toad (the real Toad)
There really isn't such a thing as "the real Toad". Every one of them that you see is named Toad, so they are all one and the same. This holds true for Yoshi, Birdo, and a few other characters in the Marioverse.

it can't be anywhere near as demanding as SSBB.
I didn't see anything in any of those videos that looks like it was taxing the system, and if that is taxing the system, then maybe some of the haterz were right all along... it is severly underpowered.
Mario Strikers Charged is nearly lag-free and that game has way more going on than New Super Mario Brothers. It is region-restricted though, but that's way better than no online.

I seriously think the coloured Toads are placeholders, I wouldn't conclude they will end up in the final product. The fact that neither Toad sports the colours of the usual Toad (red spots w/ blue vest) really makes me believe this.

Wario and Waluigi would be so cool... Waluigi needs to make his platforming debut!

I just want to remind everyone, walugi is twice as big as mario, and scaling him down for a fair fight on DS againts the other three would make him look poor
I don't see why he couldn't be in the game as he is. Why is being tall a factor?

Offline Snipper64

• View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2009, 09:41:37 PM »
Mop it up, What I mean is that they would need to make every one the same hight, so that no one person has advantage of jumpimpinmg to high or too fast. Because we are use to lugi being so tall, it would be weird for us to see him as short as mario or wario.

A minor obstical, but yet a big problem... Who knows what those crazy people will do :D I may be proven wroung.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2009, 02:34:06 AM »
A minor obstical, but yet a big problem... Who knows what those crazy people will do :D I may be proven wroung.

What you're saying doesn't make sense. They wouldn't need to make him jump higher just because he's taller. Also when holding someone on your head they could easily make Waluigi get squished down more and to make sure you're not at a disadvantage with projectiles or something they could make Waluigi duck to a certain extent to deal with his height.. It would be easy to implement him in the game. Super easy. Not really an obstical at all. I just don't think they'll do it.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2009, 04:58:21 PM »
In some of the remakes of the different Super Mario Brothers games they have made differences between Mario and Luigi.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2009, 07:42:22 PM »
In some of the remakes of the different Super Mario Brothers games they have made differences between Mario and Luigi.
Which ones? I haven't heard of that.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2009, 09:10:49 PM »
In Mario World on GBA he has something similar to the SMB2 jump.

Can't think of any others off the tiop of my head.
My Game Collection

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2009, 10:49:07 PM »
They implemented differences for Mario and Luigi's controls in Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES, which had updated 16-bit versions of Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 (the Lost Levels), and 3.  Luigi jumped higher and controlled more loosely than Mario, kind of like the controls in Galaxy.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2009, 12:32:58 AM »
They should make it so a player could be Yoshi and then another player could ride around on his back. That would be the ultimate in co-op.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2009, 01:59:58 AM »
In Mario World on GBA he has something similar to the SMB2 jump.
I don't own that game so I can't check it. Can you choose between Mario and Luigi?

They implemented differences for Mario and Luigi's controls in Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES, which had updated 16-bit versions of Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 (the Lost Levels), and 3.  Luigi jumped higher and controlled more loosely than Mario, kind of like the controls in Galaxy.
I'm pretty sure that's not true; the only one of those games where there's a difference in Mario and Luigi's abilities is in The Lost Levels, but that existed in the original version as well. I'll have to check to confirm.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2009, 09:07:55 AM »
Uhm... did anyone else see this:

New Super Mario Wii to include "demo play" option

According to the article, the help system shown in that patent with "the legend of OO" monikier, will make its debut with NSMBW. Or something similar to it i suppose..

cool?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2009, 10:05:32 AM »
Mop_it_up yes you can chose between them.Some levels work better for different bros.

EasyCure I saw that being talked about on another forum.

I don't really mind it.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2009, 10:48:54 AM »

According to the article, the help system shown in that patent with "the legend of OO" monikier, will make its debut with NSMBW. Or something similar to it i suppose..

cool?

It's a neat idea that will certainly make the game more accessible. I can't say I'd let myself use it, though, on account of feeling dirty for doing so.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2009, 10:54:33 AM »

cool?

It's a neat idea that will certainly make the game more accessible. I can't say I'd let myself use it, though, on account of feeling dirty for doing so.

I don't really mind it either, nor do i see myself using it much. Then again, i don't see it using it much in a game like SMB anyway.. which is why when i read the news i was a little dissapointed. With that "Legend of 00" mock-up they had filed on the patent, i expected this "demo play" idea to be much grander i suppose. Really, how hard can a SMB game be? Most of the time the "difficult part" you can't get passed is missing a jump or an annoying enemy like a hammer bro. Its not like you can get lost, like in a Zelda game and need the programmers to hold your hand during it.

Still, i know they're just trying to make games more accessible (bridge titles) so its all in the name of good.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NovaQ

• View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2009, 11:06:09 AM »
And who knows, this might be the maiden voyage of a feature that will be in the next Zelda.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2009, 11:30:45 AM »
Exactly. Thats why i'm still hopeful for the idea as a whole, even though i'm not super excited that its in Mario Bros. It does make more sense to introduce it with this than Zelda, though.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2009, 03:02:18 PM »
I think demo play is a better option than other methods videogames companies have used to make games more accessible like:

1. Making the game ridiculously easy.
2. Blantantly telling the player what to do.

I think Wind Waker with demo play but with enemies that are actually a threat could have been a better game.  Or Metroid: Zero Mission with demo play but no hints.  Demo play is ironically more friendly to those wanting a challenge because it provides two options.  It's like having difficulty settings.  Being able to not use the feature is WAY better than forcing the player to have his hand held.  Two different audiences can play the same game in the way they want.

And the truth is if I was outright stuck in a game I would use it.  There are great games I wanted to play 'til the end but just lost interest in because I was so damn stuck on one part.  To skip that part would be nice.  It would be a last resort "**** it" switch.  Though I doubt anybody with any skills will need it for THIS game.

Though I'm rather shocked that Nintendo did not mention this at E3.  It's a potentially industry changing feature.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2009, 03:11:04 PM »
People are saying Nintendo cut a number of things from their E3 presentation. Maybe they were going to talk about it but pulled it at the last minute. Or they could be saving it for a different venue. There are still several trade shows this year.

And maybe it is only a rudementary implementation in this game and they don't want to talk about it too much until the more realized system appears in Zelda.

Do you think something like this would also show you hidden areas in the game if you asked it?
My Game Collection

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2009, 03:16:04 PM »
People are saying Nintendo cut a number of things from their E3 presentation. Maybe they were going to talk about it but pulled it at the last minute. Or they could be saving it for a different venue. There are still several trade shows this year.

And maybe it is only a rudimentary implementation in this game and they don't want to talk about it too much until the more realized system appears in Zelda.

Do you think something like this would also show you hidden areas in the game if you asked it?

I would hope not, if only because i wouldn't want to:

A. be tempted
B. accidentally have the game show me a secret.