Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxy 2  (Read 189622 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Galaxy 2
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2009, 11:36:13 AM »
Not only did I not mind the linearity, I liked it better than the open worlds of 64 and Sunshine. It was one of the things that made it feel more like the 2D games to me.

Exactly, and on top of that it simply suited my needs better. I don't have as much time for these big time consuming games, and if it were anything like Sunshine i'd never of finished it. With the way it the game was broken down, i was able to make the most of the shorter play sessions i have these days. Even though it still took me a few months to beat (and still havent finished all the bonus stars), beating the game was a quicker process than what it would've been with the giant worlds Sunshine had.

Oh and my whole point earlier was that with the galaxies being a little more linear, it went back to playing like the 2D mario games in that instead of just ONE giant Ricco Harbor with X amount of stars to collect within it, we got Honey Hive Galaxy where the stars were more like "levels" within the game worlds of SMB3, minus the overworld map to pick your level. Hell they might as well have had giant fireworks go off once you collected a star at the end of a level/mission in galaxy as well as the little slots game! Here's hoping for its return in Galaxy 2 ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:43:40 AM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2009, 12:00:11 PM »
Galaxy 1's design was a breath of fresh air in terms of Mario 3D gameplay. It took the best of Mario 3D gameplay from the last two games, and sprinkled in elements of the 2D games.

Hell they might as well have had giant fireworks go off once you collected a star at the end of a level/mission in galaxy as well as the little slots game! Here's hoping for its return in Galaxy 2.
Slots have a 50/50 chance of coming back since they have a purpose IE giving out extra lives or items. Fireworks in Galaxy 2 do not because there is usually no score counter in the 3D Mario games, unless it's used for a minigame.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2009, 12:58:25 PM »
It could borrow a page from Super Mario Land. If you reach the floating door in the sky at the end of the level you get a chance for a freebie, if you fall you just get the regular door and move on to the next level. I guess you would need a way to replay past levels but it would make things straightforward.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2009, 01:55:41 PM »
I was actually hoping that they used Galaxy 2 as a return to the more standard 3D Mario gameplay. The linearity of Galaxy made the game a lot less enjoyable for me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the title, just nowhere near the degree I enjoyed Sunshine and 64.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2009, 01:58:31 PM »
different strokes for different folks
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2009, 02:08:28 PM »
See EasyCure, you're a better and more tolerant person than I am because I was going to suggest Mr. Jack be thrown off the staff for that comment.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 25, 2009, 02:13:46 PM »
See EasyCure, you're a better and more tolerant person than I am because I was going to suggest Mr. Jack be thrown off the staff for that comment.

That's because, unlike you, I'm ALL man (and strong enough for one but made for a women apparently). None half and half and half ****!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2009, 02:15:30 PM »
I look back at P.N.03 more fondly that I do Sunshine.

The Pants are a lie.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2009, 02:16:09 PM »

Galaxy is a great game no doubt, but I just love exploration. I always loved just wandering around the expansive levels from 64 and Sunshine, trying to get into every nook and cranny provided. Galaxy was a Point A to Point B experience, which is fine, but not what I want from a 3D Mario game.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 25, 2009, 02:27:57 PM »

That's because, unlike you, I'm ALL man (and strong enough for one but made for a women apparently). None half and half and half ****!

I gave you that title and now it has come back to bite me in the ass.

J.P. Corbran

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2009, 02:43:55 PM »

I gave you that title and now it has come back to bite me in the ass.

Really? Wow i didn't even realize/remember that.
May i ask why you gave it to me?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2009, 02:49:01 PM »
I just thought it was funny and kind of fit you based on some of your posts, it's an old marketing slogan, I think for a deodorant. I had fun with that title thread, I was reminded of it earlier today when I watched the Simpsons episode that I took someone else's title from.

J.P. Corbran

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2009, 02:52:06 PM »
I like it. Not as good as Max Power, but I like it.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2009, 04:36:12 PM »
What I would love to see in Galaxy 2 as a reward for finishing the game is a Playground/Sandbox galaxy that's loaded with different planetoids and obstacles, so you could mess around with the game's gravity system all you wanted.

Some level concepts I'd like to see:

* Planetoids with gravity so strong Mario can't jump (not black holes).
* Planetoids with gravity so weak that careless jumps could send him into space.
* Mario's Luma is removed somehow and so the Spin attack is disabled.
* Planets that move.
* Fleshed-out "indoor" levels, like the mansion in the Ghostly Galaxy.
* A galaxy that's being eaten by a super massive black hole.
* Bowser levels with more varied obstacles and traps.
* Planets surrounded with a gas that confuses Mario, causing him to walk the opposite direction the player inputs.
* Maze levels.
* A planet modeled from the player's icon, whether it be one of the Mario ones or a Mii's head.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2009, 06:06:24 PM »
If they go the route of the first game and have Luigi playable as a prize for beating the game, then they should also replace Yoshi with Birdo. Now THAT would be a nice bonus for completing the game.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2009, 06:10:31 PM »
Tingle-Birdo game crossover for new audiences.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 25, 2009, 06:16:06 PM »
Tingle-Birdo game crossover for new audiences.

LOL, They are making a new Tingle game. Maybe they will include Birdo as a playable/rideable character?  :D
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThomasO

• View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2009, 07:16:35 PM »
The only problem is that Birdo can't lick, so all the obstacles built for Yoshi's tongue would be useless when riding Birdo. Although I'd like to see more classic enemies, like Shy Guys, appear.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2009, 07:23:17 PM »
the obstacles built for Yoshi's tongue would be useless when riding Birdo.
Which obstacles are those? Or are you assuming there will be obstacles like that?

Offline ThomasO

• View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2009, 07:23:55 PM »
There are the obstacles in the trailer that Yoshi uses his tongue to swing from. The player uses the Wii Remote pointer to grab these things, like the Pull Stars.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2009, 07:26:07 PM »
I didn't realize that, I must have missed it. I guess there's not a workaround for that...

Offline ThomasO

• View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2009, 07:31:53 PM »
Yeah, I have a screen here.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2009, 07:40:24 PM »
The only problem is that Birdo can't lick, so all the obstacles built for Yoshi's tongue would be useless when riding Birdo. Although I'd like to see more classic enemies, like Shy Guys, appear.

I didn't realize that, I must have missed it. I guess there's not a workaround for that...

But Birdo does suck in objects, yes? Birdo could create a suction effect that would pull him to said object and then you just reverse the flow and blow away from said object.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2009, 07:42:29 PM »
But Birdo does suck in objects, yes? Birdo could create a suction effect that would pull him to said object and then you just reverse the flow and blow away from said object.
I thought of that but don't know if that would work with the flower object shown in that screen. It would look really weird. They'd have to change the object to something else and I don't think they want to put in extra work just for a bonus character. For example, when you're using Luigi in Super Mario Galaxy you still have to rescue Luigi.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2009, 07:42:43 PM »
Hey, I see a winged goomba
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.