Author Topic: Klonoa  (Read 7400 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Klonoa
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 08:28:17 PM »
Even though I picked up this game launch week I've only now had the opportunity to play it.  I just beat vision 3-2 (read:  the sixth stage) and so far I'm enjoying it greatly.  The jumping mechanic it lots of fun.  I think it was Jonny who said that in Klonoa enemies are tools (you use them to perform a double jump) instead of simply obstacles.  It's a very good way of describing it.

The game isn't as easy as everyone says--there are definitely a few challenging parts.  Then again, I haven't lost a life yet due to running out of hearts (although I've lost a few from falling off the stage).  I think your average 10 year old would have a hard time with this game.

A couple minor complaints:

1)  The English voice-acting is HORRIBLE.  Luckily, you can play the game using the original Phantomile gibberish instead.  I turned on the English once out of morbid curiosity and was so disgusted I had to restart the stage halfway through just so I could go back to Phantomile.

2)  The level design--while somewhat interesting--is annoying because it's not always obvious which way to go.  There are many branching paths that lead to collectibles.  Unfortunately, it's not clear which path is the main one and which is the branch.  I find myself double-backing quite often because I accidentally took the path that leads to the next section.

Overall, very fun game.  Definitely worth $30.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 08:39:08 AM »
I 100% agree with your description / evaluation. (I would add that the music is great.)

About the hearts: I believe in the original version, you could only lose whole hearts as opposed to half-hearts. This made some of the later boss battles more challenging. If memory serves, Klonoa 2 introduced half-heart damage for teh kiddiez.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 01:08:36 PM »
I have this, I haven't opened it. ****
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 01:41:59 PM »
Better pre order this one hey? Infernal tells me Atari is doing the distribution in Australia, so it might as well no be getting distributed.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 03:12:56 PM »
I 100% agree with your description / evaluation. (I would add that the music is great.)

About the hearts: I believe in the original version, you could only lose whole hearts as opposed to half-hearts. This made some of the later boss battles more challenging. If memory serves, Klonoa 2 introduced half-heart damage for teh kiddiez.
Watched a Boobtube video of the PSX version, and no, the hearts just shrink. Unless there was a hard difficulty mode in the PSX version...
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2009, 04:37:02 PM »
Maybe hard mode is the secret unlockable for finding all of the medallions? Do we have any idea what the reward for that is?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2009, 09:01:09 AM »

Watched a Boobtube video of the PSX version, and no, the hearts just shrink. Unless there was a hard difficulty mode in the PSX version...

No, I'm just wrong / was worse at videogames back when Klonoa first came out.

Maybe hard mode is the secret unlockable for finding all of the medallions? Do we have any idea what the reward for that is?

I was working on finding that out, but one of those devious challenges was too much for me and I kinda stopped playing the game at all. I've got to go back and try again...
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 02:53:29 PM »
Just started playing this as well through Gamefly and it's a great little game. I haven't had a good platformer in a while.

I really like the 3D/2D thing and the branching, interwoven paths. The game has been a bit easy so far, but we'll see how it progresses.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64