Author Topic: Let's Talk Amiibo!  (Read 147574 times)

Re: Let's Talk Amiibo!
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2015, 10:05:55 AM »
looks like Uncle Bob isn't the most hated collector out there anymore.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2015, 03:30:41 PM »
My wife surprised me with the following amiibo on Christmas Morning:
Marth
Villager
Mega Man preorder

plus the ones i've already picked-up
Kirby
fox
Zelda
Link

I swear I didn't plan on owning even half as many of these...Now the dilemma - can I play with the Marth & Villager amiibo without opening the box?  I don't plan on selling them, but since they're apparently pretty rare, i'd like to keep them in good condition.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2015, 03:56:14 PM »
My wife surprised me with the following amiibo on Christmas Morning:
Marth
Villager
Mega Man preorder

plus the ones i've already picked-up
Kirby
fox
Zelda
Link

I swear I didn't plan on owning even half as many of these...Now the dilemma - can I play with the Marth & Villager amiibo without opening the box?  I don't plan on selling them, but since they're apparently pretty rare, i'd like to keep them in good condition.
There is an article on the site on how to do that.  The bad news is there there is no way to do that without at least cutting the box.  You can have it look in great condition though.

Which is honestly a shame because the packaging actually looks pretty nice.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2015, 04:35:27 PM »
Apparently, you can take a pointy skewer, put a tiny hole in the bottom (Where the cardboard and plastic don't seal well) and scrape off enough of the sticker to make it work.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2015, 06:02:04 PM »
But even if you do that, you've still got a used Amiibo on your hands. Even if it stays in the package and the package is mostly undamaged, it's not like you can then sell it to someone else brand new. It's got your data on it and has begun to take on it's own fighting characteristic. Or can you wipe their memory clean?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2015, 06:33:33 PM »
But even if you do that, you've still got a used Amiibo on your hands. Even if it stays in the package and the package is mostly undamaged, it's not like you can then sell it to someone else brand new. It's got your data on it and has begun to take on it's own fighting characteristic. Or can you wipe their memory clean?

Pretty sure you can wipe figure memory, but scratching the sticker off would still make it obvious the Amiibo wasn't new if the package is opened later... so there is no way to get around selling as used if you actually do use the figure.
NNID: ejamer

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2015, 06:50:05 PM »
Yeah, the suggestion I gave was for the comment about keeping them in the nice-looking package.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2015, 11:01:55 PM »
You can manage and wipe an Amiibo from the WiiU setting menu.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:19:07 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2015, 04:17:14 PM »
Honestly, I'm not concerned about resale value as much as keeping them in good condition in a house with two small boys.  I think I'll take a look at some of these options and choose one.  Thanks.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2015, 04:23:03 PM »
Honestly, I'm not concerned about resale value

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2015, 09:47:12 PM »
The dreaded internal Gamestop memo strikes again. Rumored Wave 3 release dates:

Bowser - Feb 6; Sheik, Shulk, Toon Link, Ike, King Dedede - Feb 13, Mega Man and Sonic - Feb 20.

My Shulk pre-order says Feb 1 but that could very well be a placeholder date. I do not look forward to going to a Gamestop on Feb 13 just to make sure I get Shulk.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2015, 10:40:11 PM »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2015, 12:57:25 AM »
ATTENTION AMIIBO ENTHUSIASTS:

Wave 3 is now in-stock in Japan, with Meta Knight and Lucario in particular readily available. Rosalina and Shulk have not been released yet, but will probably be coming in early to mid-February. If you are finding any of these difficult to obtain, please send me a message as soon as possible. I will send you a Japanese version if you are willing to reimburse the shipping fees. If you are looking for Marth or Wii Fit Trainer I can also obtain those. Unfortunately, Villager is difficult to fin here. If you are not concerned with the original packaging I can send more than one Amiibo loose in the same, smaller package, reducing shipping costs.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2015, 04:51:37 PM »
About how much do you anticipate shipping to cost to the US? I might take you up on that for Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and others if they do not repopulate here and split the cost of a joint package with friends.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2015, 06:54:56 PM »
The smallest flat rate box, which could hold maybe four unpackaged Amiibo, would cost around 10-15 dollars.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 28, 2015, 11:18:28 PM »
Okay, something inexcusable happened to my Australian friend today and I am very, VERY angry. I'm trying to convince them to take a picture or soemthing, but he're's the copypasta from our skype log.

"I went shopping to try and get either a Megaman, Rosalina or Shulk one that had just come out today.

Man shops didn't have one but I found a couple of Shulk and Megaman ones at a Big W there were I maybe two megaman ones 3 Shulk ones and one I didn't see.

Now before I reached the game section this guy ran past me from the entrance and headed left when the game section was to the right, I went to grab a Shulk one to look at it and before I grab it I get shoved out of the way and as I am falling I see it was this same guy from before.

I cut my arm on one of these stupid wire hook things Big W has to hold things like trading cards and other things with hooks on the package and this guy runs off with the fucking amiibos >= |"

I mean, nothing new as far as rampant consumerism goes, but this has gotten out of hand. Retailers need to crack down if crap like this is happening.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2015, 11:00:27 PM »
That Amiibro has taken things to a new level of dickishness. :@
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2015, 12:29:47 AM »
I saw Pit for sale again on Amazon but it wouldn't say it was in my cart. I think I discovered it right when they were running out. Pity. Really trying to snag that one for my sister.
My Game Collection

« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2015, 12:11:14 PM »
I wonder how much of Nintendo's recent profit was because of Amiibo and not their games. I figured Amiibo was a cash grab to infuse some money into the bank by squeezing the small customer base but I am wondering now if they are using it as a way to move away from video games and get back into toys.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2015, 01:11:24 PM »
If Nintendo wanted to get back into Toy Proper they would be making real toys with their properties.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2015, 01:17:46 PM »
We'll know if they take that route because we'll stop seeing a lot of the licensed toys currently on the market and more directly produced merchandise.
My Game Collection

« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2015, 03:20:50 PM »
true, but as we all know Nintendo does things at a snail in a coma's pace.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2015, 04:06:10 PM »
Not always. Sometimes they do them way more quickly than anyone expected. Look at how they embraced digital distribution of retail games, it kind of came out of nowhere.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2015, 04:34:26 PM »
Not always. Sometimes they do them way more quickly than anyone expected. Look at how they embraced digital distribution of retail games, it kind of came out of nowhere.

I wasn't surprised they did that to be honest, its what they always wanted. The have wanted to do away with used game sales since they tried suing Blockbuster over game rentals in the 80's. This is different we are suggesting they might be testing the waters to exit, or move away from, video games and shift to a brand new business model. That is not something they will do over night. UNLESS Amiibo is the reason for their quarterly profit and their games would have sunk them if not for amiibo, then I can see them maybe accelerating their exit but only if New 3DS bombs hard, like Virtual Boy bomb.

There was talk about Quality of Life being their exit strategy, I doubt Amiibo is tied into that at all but what if they are seriously testing the waters to scale back on video games and shift to something new entirely, toys is something they have done longer than video games, and to them they have always considered video games toys anyways.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2015, 05:09:35 PM »
It's not so much that they decided to try it, but how quickly they went all-in on it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent