Author Topic: CES: Thoughts?  (Read 6387 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
CES: Thoughts?
« on: January 07, 2006, 03:54:28 AM »
You know doesn't the show sound like a great place to release some information?  As of yet though there has been nothing.  At the very least show the "concept" controller and system to the "public" get some more press coverage.  Have the demo video playing in the background.  Could have reached a lot of non-traditional gamers becaues they show that type of stuff on morning shows and HGTV.  But then how could they compete with the toilet that can give you your complete health status and is heated.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:CES: Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 08:31:17 AM »
wtf is a "CES"?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Chris1

• View Profile
RE: CES: Thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 09:09:08 AM »
umm consumer electronics show?

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 11:40:57 AM »
CES has not really been a convention to look to for gaming news since E3 started. IGN is making a fuss about the VR viewers that are being showen for gaming as a possible thing for the revolution. But its nothing more than the smoke of no (meaningful) news until GDC.  I expect some 3rd parties to start to give a taste of what they been cooking there if not Nintendo giving us more information. (I'm hopeing to go but I'm short the $300.00 fee currently.)

The SEC (or somthing like that) caught my eye. It uses television like pixles (phosphurous cells) at computer CRT resolutions and color but it is as flat as an LCD or Plasma. (It uses diodes to light the cells)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 02:55:53 PM »
All I know is, I want that Series 3 HD Tivo.

The PS3 has a minor appearance. An empty plastic case behind glass. Lame. I REALLY doubt they'll release PS3 in the Spring. They still haven't shown an actual controller, and we thought Nintendo was being paranoid.

What will they do, unveil the system officially at E3 and say "Get read, it's coming out next month"?

OT, yes. but this is where the thread was.
"wow."

Offline iMoron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 03:21:33 PM »
CES...

he... I remember I got in there the year after that insident where there was some Nintendo stuff stolen...

Crap... they din't asist that year, nor did any other game company etcept for computer companies...

Loky me... I din't need to pay a dime... and went to both buildings...

I got in with the bunch and had an empty (white paper with lines) ID half hiden.... ha, ha... in the other buiding (the one I visited first) I got in true the back, employes door... ... frantick... I was like wow... cool...

There were cars... and this wierd spekers that could move the cone about 2 inches in and out... and there was this booth that had some 3D pr0n tech... I din't enter but sow from the outside...

I spent about 2 hours in each building... just looking around, but there was nothing of interest for me... no games anyway... asides from a couple computer games I saw... lame...

That was more than 5 years ago...  
Frustrated game developer...

Offline Talon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 03:28:17 PM »

Originally posted by: BigJim
They still haven't shown an actual controller, and we thought Nintendo was being paranoid.

They wont show the controller because of all the backlash they got from the bat-a-rang at e3!!  I wouldnt be suprised in the least if by e3 next year sony's controller has some sort of gyroscopes in it.
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end of Satan's rainbow?

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 04:01:35 PM »
CES as far as for gaming is concerned, was a missed opportunity. MS just touched on it, with the 'shocking' announcement of an HD-DVD external drive, and the Fight Night 3 demo being available now in the Live Marketplace.

Sony spun some numbers about the PSP, and sang the praises of Blu-Ray. No new announcements, though they've slyly (sp?) snuck a generic '2006' release date for the PS3.

Nintendo? Nowhere to be found. Hopefully we'll see something at GDC or DICE.

All I got out of CES was that the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD war begins in earnest this year. This could get ugly....
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 04:07:24 PM »
I am currently here in Las Vegas attending the show and there isn't anything Nintendo wise to mention. ATI is focused on the 360 (of course) and Sony has the same setup as E3. I did see a trailer for Factor 5's game that I didn't see before though.

There are a couple of booths that have Nintendo's logo but one is a carrying case company (DS and Gameboy) and the other is the car attachment for the gameboy (didn't see it, don't care about it).

Lots of HDTV's here, majority of companies are focused on bringing out 1080p and using HDMI connectors. And everyone and their grandmother is pushing MP3 players or IPod attachments.

I tried out some glasses that track head movement and translate it into game control. Very awkward. What I'd like to see is head control translated into actual head control of the character. So in FPS's, if you are running forward and want to look to your left, just turn your head and you still run in the same direction, you just aren't looking at where you are going.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 05:52:30 PM »
"I tried out some glasses that track head movement and translate it into game control. Very awkward. What I'd like to see is head control translated into actual head control of the character. So in FPS's, if you are running forward and want to look to your left, just turn your head and you still run in the same direction, you just aren't looking at where you are going."

I imagine doing a 360 would be quite straining on the neck.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 06:35:53 PM »
Yeah, definitely at DICE, Reggie's scheduled to speak on February 9.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 01:07:21 AM »
"I tried out some glasses that track head movement and translate it into game control. Very awkward. What I'd like to see is head control translated into actual head control of the character. So in FPS's, if you are running forward and want to look to your left, just turn your head and you still run in the same direction, you just aren't looking at where you are going."

Actually that would only translate into eye strain because you would have to keep your eyes on the TV, and the TV doesn't move with your head.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 01:23:39 AM »
I tried those same glasses at E3 2001.  Looks like that company hasn't gotten very far along.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 04:19:02 AM »
So Reggie is due to speak on February 9.  Alright.  Before I only knew it was February but now I have a date and soon maybe I'll be able to get a time too.  But I have no connections so I have to rely on others. >.<
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 05:02:21 AM »
I'd say moving the head around creates confusion. You no longer know where your character would move if you press forward.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 03:17:39 PM »
The problem with doing a 360 is there is a cord attached. How many 360's are you willing to do? Still, the experience needs something that does not remove you from the game. So far every solution I've seen does not solve the problem. I imagine it will be years before any headset is ready for main stream, unless Nintendo has an answer now....

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 03:22:17 PM »
Holodecks.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 03:22:24 PM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede
Yeah, definitely at DICE, Reggie's scheduled to speak on February 9.

Intresting, That's before march, where we were supposed to hear new info regarding The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
Seeing that Reggie will be speaking, it's a likely bet we'll hear more about Zelda there and then.
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 03:28:12 PM »
Yep.  Oh, and some IGN ass claims that something's going down January 16.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 04:01:12 PM »
There are too many asses to be counted over at IGN, can you specify Remember you can't spell IGNorance without IGN

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 04:42:42 PM »
I don't know, just some forumer who claims the guy that makes clothes for his mom's ex-girlfriend's dog has a brother who works for a janitorial service company employed entirely by Reggie.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 04:46:49 PM »
Ah! party foreign Jaintors, gotta love them doing illegal things

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 11:47:33 AM »
Woah...SOMETHING is going down on January 16, reports are coming in from freaking Famitsu, highly reliable, that DS SP will be revealed on that date.

http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=3137

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2006, 12:49:51 PM »
It certianly looks promising. Though it looked like some people were trying to attach something about the revolution on it.

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2006, 06:16:12 PM »
Woah, I was in my dad's car listening to the news on the radio and apparently Nintendo has "confirmed" an announcement on the 16th.  This is obviously bullsh!t, but thankfully I have no school on Monday (thank God for MLK day) so maybe for once I'll be home and be able to view some news as it happens.  

I'm actually hoping for no DS redesign (far too early, it's not even beating the PSP in the States).  I just want one single Revolution screenshot.

Knowing Nintendo, they probably had something planned for Monday but now that they've found out that we know they're scrapping it and changing the date to two weeks later.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2006, 10:45:13 PM »
It feels too eary for me, too. Do you think they'd even be able to shrink the system this early? Or would the redesign not make it smaller?

More to the point, if now is too early, later would probably be too close to the rev launch. Nintendo hates making their products compete for the spotlight. Or would they think that a rev-themed redesign (sleek/apple-white) would actually help bolster rev sales?

So many variables! Regardless, my prediction is Christmas 2007. ....unless that's too close to GameBoy Next?

edit: forgot it's 2006 already.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2006, 04:21:14 AM »
Well...the point of the SP was not to make a smaller GBA, just a slicker GBA with a frontlight (or was it a backlight?  I don't remember squat).  Having said that, the SP was more portable.

With the DS...I don't want to miss out on anything if I don't buy a redesigned one.  DSpeak, online PictoChat...okay, cool, include them in the new DS, but make them available to the people who actually bought at launch via firmware update or otherwise.  I just think it's stupid when companies actually punish their loyal customers who bought systems on launch day and stuff.

Nintendo obviously has no problem with systems competing for the spotlight: the Game Boy Micro was released while the DS was still selling incredibly strong.  Of course I hope they learned something from that, seeing as GBM  was a failure (though I hadn't actually physically seen the thing till just a couple weeks ago, it's the most retardedly small - in a good way - thing i've ever seen).  I think it's best to release a DS redesign summer of next year, extending the DS's life cycle for another year or so, allowing time for GBNext (though I doubt we'll be seeing any more GameBoys; rather, DS-like systems with new innovations).

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2006, 07:24:41 AM »
The GB Micro wasn't that big of an item to begin with, nor did they really make that many of them so I'm not seeing the problem here.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2006, 07:42:26 AM »
I do have to say that if the Micro was priced like the SP and my current Orignal GBA, we're talking launch here, died.  Then I get a Micro.  When the cover on it is right it feels like the Original GBA.  Which is much nicer than the SP.  The Clamshell design and the Backlight are the only things going for the SP.  But then I have a DS but I find that it is a little akward and uncomfortable for different things.  I think little tweaking of the button arrangement and the rounding of the sharpers parts would be nice.