Author Topic: Online Developers Supporting Revolution  (Read 5322 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Online Developers Supporting Revolution
« on: January 02, 2006, 10:56:31 PM »
From the latest EGM rumor section

-Several developers (Including those in the PC community)who mostly make online games want to work on Nintendo's next-gen console.

If this does come to fruition, the biggest problem Nintendo is going to have, supplying western games to gamers who only play western games, will be solved.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Online Developers Supporting Revolution
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 11:05:26 PM »
Well, it does make sense, with the controller and all, and they probably are thinking seriously about developing for the Rev, but they need to know if it would be financially viable... The Rev is an untested console with an unknown userbase. The licensing fees would also be a factor.

I'd say that, unless Nintendo makes a deal with one of these developers to release a game close to launch, they'll wait it out. If/when the Rev has an established userbase and a good software tie-in ratio, we'll see many more of these experimental games.

Valve
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Online Developers Supporting Revolution
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 12:00:23 AM »
Sounds like NC Soft to me.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 04:27:33 AM »
You know this might be a good time to bring this up.  Back in the beginning the GameCube lifetime Sega developed middleware that let you program the network type stuff for one console and it would work on all the consoles.  Effective making them be able to easily talk to each other with out you having developed the underlying networking things.  Considering the neither the PC or the Rev are changing any API's or anything this software still might be used to easily interact the two.  Just throwing that out there.

But in all honesty on an online game the Rev controller could take crafting to a new level.  I don't think it be used to it's full advantage for fighting because of the data that would have to go over the network.  But Crafting could be done locally and only the results need to be sent over the wire.  Just imagine swinging the controller to chop down a tree or carving it.  Ok I thought of a way to do fighting to but it wouldn't really benefit that much from it.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 04:50:30 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Sounds like NC Soft to me.

Fits perfectly in with City of Heroes/Villians.  You could punch people like the old Batman show and see ZOK! and other action bubbles appear.  It would be awesome, actually.

Guild Wars would work solely for PvP play, swinging swords/shields and casting spells.  I guess, though, that this applies to any medieval MMORPG.

I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 07:37:13 AM »
I wouldnt mind something like rakion ported to cube

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 07:46:00 AM »
Good to hear, I guess, even if it is EGM we're talking about. We need positive Revo news...
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 08:35:33 AM »
Of course PC game developers love it.  The controller's like a mouse.  Except in 3D space instead of a 2D plane.

Controller = good pointer for RTSes/strategy games, and like a light-gun (except STANDARD!) which is better for FPSes.

So right away they could make games similar to the prevalent PC genres.  For the online games, well, isn't the online infrastructure expected to be better than the lazy "developers-can-do-whatever-they-want" Sony angle?  Sure, there's Xbox Live, but as mentioned, the controller will make a difference.

Would they get enough revenue, though?  Refresh my memory - aren't games supposed to be free online, or at least Nintendo's first-party games?  Are third-parties allowed to charge for online play on their games?

On the DS, I'm surprised GunBound and MapleStory aren't on there.  DSes can interact with PCs, both games aren't technically dazzling from what I remember and when I used to play them they were free.  At least a DS version would get people paying an extra "entrance fee" by buying the DS Game Card to begin with.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 04:02:17 PM »
Refresh my memory - aren't games supposed to be free online, or at least Nintendo's first-party games? Are third-parties allowed to charge for online play on their games?

Yes they are, but I don't think many will, since Nintendo isn't..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 06:15:06 PM »
MMORPGs will charge regardless, and I see Ninty charging if they ever make a MMORPG themselves (which isn't that likely, really)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 07:28:37 PM »
Animal Crossing Wild World is the best MMORPG I have ever played..

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 07:30:43 PM »
It's because there's no pointless level grinding...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 08:11:04 PM »
Strell: There are no really action based MMOs because that means a lot of traffic. Reporting the rod position to the server would work only wih very few players.

Bill: I have my doubts. Perhaps they'd implement lots of workarounds and such to keep the costs low but they wouldn't charge even for an MMO. Wasn't it Iwata himself who said that paying to play when you've paid for the game is a ripoff?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 08:23:19 PM »
I agree, Nintendo would not charge for a MMORPG.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 12:12:03 AM »
And it wouldn't be a traditional MMORPG anyway. Well, unless it's Pokemon, that'd be mostly traditional.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 03:37:15 AM »
Pokemon Online would be interesting.  But better yet... Monster Rancher Online... Yeah...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 05:09:49 AM »
I've always wondered why an online Pokemon game never surfaced.  If it followed the style of the cartoon, it would be an amazing game.  Moving a character around the world, hunting down monsters, using voice commands in battles, huge tournaments you have to fight your way to get into....

Why hasn't this happened yet?  Honestly?  People talk about a Zelda MMORPG, but that would be franchise milkage and wouldn't hold up as well.  

While we're at it, Animal Crossing MMORPG is a must.  In fact, make it halfway open source, so people can come on there and mod crap in droves.  For example, I have an arcade machine in my house, but I can't play it.  I can't play my ping pong table either.  But you give nerds the chance to make that stuff themselves and it WILL appear.  But make it official - you have to submit it to Nintendo, who then has to approve it, and if it works, then they patch everyone's game.  So now everyone can play ping pong.  And then people can have ping pong tournaments.

It would become an endless game in every sense of the word.  You could have races in different vehicles, Jam with the Band like concerts, marketing and economic systems for selling clothing, and a million other possible additions to the game.

THAT'S what I want.  If it can happen with Counter Strike and Day of Defeat and Enemy Territory and every other mod I see people making, then surely AC has an audience for it.  Already we have someone hacking it, might as well open the flood gates...
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 05:21:50 AM »
I like some of your ideas there, like having a band, and races in Animal Crossing. This game seriously has massive potential if they expand it significantly.

Perhaps they can tie the arcade thing with the virtual download system, going to the arcade lets you access any NES / SNES / N64 game you've downloaded.

Originally posted by: JonLeung
Of course PC game developers love it.  The controller's like a mouse.  Except in 3D space instead of a 2D plane.

Controller = good pointer for RTSes/strategy games, and like a light-gun (except STANDARD!) which is better for FPSes.

So right away they could make games similar to the prevalent PC genres.  For the online games, well, isn't the online infrastructure expected to be better than the lazy "developers-can-do-whatever-they-want" Sony angle?  Sure, there's Xbox Live, but as mentioned, the controller will make a difference.

Would they get enough revenue, though?  Refresh my memory - aren't games supposed to be free online, or at least Nintendo's first-party games?  Are third-parties allowed to charge for online play on their games?

On the DS, I'm surprised GunBound and MapleStory aren't on there.  DSes can interact with PCs, both games aren't technically dazzling from what I remember and when I used to play them they were free.  At least a DS version would get people paying an extra "entrance fee" by buying the DS Game Card to begin with.

There's that too, the controller, but what's stated is that they're interested in the online part, maybe developers know things we don't about the Revolutoin online system? They are probably attracted to the Free / Easy / Safe way Nintendo has chosen to go online, but it's going to be interesting to see how different Revolution WiFi is to DS WiFi.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2006, 06:37:16 AM »
I've never seen Pokemon Online as being an MMORPG.  To me the ideal use of online for Pokemon is to finally make a GOOD real Pokemon RPG on a console (ie: catching Pokemon and earning badges) and then make all the link cable features online so you can trade and battle online.  That's really all you need for Pokemon regarding interaction with other people.  A full on MMO would cost more to maintain and has a bunch of other issues.  Children encountering stalkers and such would be a big issue.  Plus MMO's HAVE to be played online for you to get any enjoyment out of them.  That sort of hardware requirement isn't very convenient for the Pokemon target demographic.  Kids can't pay for an MMO or an internet account on their own.  They're at the mercy of their parents.  If the "meat" of the game is single player with just trading and battling (and few other features like contests and tournaments and such) using online then a kid can get the game as a gift and get a lot of enjoyment out of it even if his parents aren't willing to spend more money.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 07:12:54 AM »
I completely agree, and that's why I think Ninty will never make a fullfledged MMORPG...Instead I believe they'll keep their online games nice and simple like they've done with Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 07:53:35 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario
I like some of your ideas there, like having a band, and races in Animal Crossing. This game seriously has massive potential if they expand it significantly.

Perhaps they can tie the arcade thing with the virtual download system, going to the arcade lets you access any NES / SNES / N64 game you've downloaded.

I've never played the game(even though I own it on GC), but it would also be cool if you could goto someone else's town and access all the games that they have downloaded too.  That would only help support the download system, as people might play something in your town that they never would have bought for thier town, until after they tried it elsewhere first.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 08:09:14 AM »
There is a very cool and simple way of creating a MMORPG for Pokemon.

1)Design a large game that is designed to play just like a traditional Pokemon RPG.  IE:  Talk to computer characters, catch Pokemon as usual, run into different type of people and so and so.  Even have 1-3 different class of characters each with there own individual story and objective.  Have the three different classes benefit eachother in different ways.

2)Take that game online.  Basically, you wonder around interacting with CPU people and real online people.  The game can literally be played online and off, and since the story has a definate beginning and end, you don't have to charge for new online content.

3)A special location can be available for online tournaments that automatically rank people by skill levels and such.  Once a year a huge world wide every skill level tournament is held.

Simple design, and would be brilliant.

The three classes to me would be:

Pokemon Breeder
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Photographer

These classes can be upgraded as people finish the game.

Breeders could become Pokemon Merchants selling items and pokemon and setting up a store (In a special location in the world.)

Pokemon Trainers, become Pokemon Masters when they win.  They can design there own badges and have people come to win them at a special location in the world.

Pokemon Photographers can I dunno something.  

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 10:18:09 AM »
You know I like how Nintendo does online.  Knowing when to not add the kitchen sink is just as important.  I like how they do there online stuff.  You sacrifice the buddy thing but a simply mail account with a registered DS or Rev could fix that.  I really don't like in game chat in most games.  It detracts more then it helps a lot of the time.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2006, 10:26:35 AM »
After Reading more,  I do say that you should be able to put up and run an arcade with the games you've bought.  Charge x amount of Bells per game just like a real one.  Even make a custom building for it.  That be neat.