Author Topic: ESRB Game Ratings, M rated games and the Revolution Download service...  (Read 7794 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Are there any NES/SNES/N64 games (or possibly downloadable SEGA games) that are (or would be) Rated M that would likely be up for download?  If so, how do you think this would work?  Nintendo is known for being kinda overprotective of this sort of stuff...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE: ESRB Game Ratings, M rated games and the Revolution Download service...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 06:21:22 PM »
Ahh.. and what about violent pre-Mortal Kombat games with no ratings??
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE:ESRB Game Ratings, M rated games and the Revolution Download service...
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 06:22:35 PM »
i'm sure they will eb eliminated by the content blocking feature on the rev
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 06:24:50 PM »
I imangine Nintendo will require all pre-ESRB games to be rated for the download service... I'm assuming....
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 06:44:27 PM »
Either that or they'll come up with their own warning: "This unrated game contains explicit content" or what have you.  

Edit: I'm sure there'll be no problem with M-rated games like Resident Evil 2. The rev does have parental controllers.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 07:04:58 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
I imangine Nintendo will require all pre-ESRB games to be rated for the download service... I'm assuming....

More likely the ESRB will force them to, though I doubt they'll have to, considering that it's Nintendo we're talking about.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 08:44:43 PM »
Most of the NES games should be too much of a problem and the early SNES stuff. There are only a few games I can think of that press the "boundries" of Nintendo Garentee of Quality. There are  some Sega CD games that were also involved in the orginal Video Game witch hunt that Liberman and Kohl handled in the early 90s.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 12:04:46 AM »
The ESRB can't force them. The USK, on the other hand, can. But they submitted the GBA rereleases for rating so I'd be surprised if they didn't do the same with their downloadable games.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 04:32:38 AM »
I think at the very first Nintendo won't fiddle with this.  I mean in all actuallity they have a fairly large line-up of ranked games.  So them and each countries respective rating system will duke it out to get the games rated.  Once that is settled then they'll start offering them but the M ranked ones... well they may never be offered because of advocacy groups.  We'll just have to see this played out.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 08:47:53 AM »
I would assume most games are okay.  Or at least mostly in the E-T range, with the Ts kind of rare, at least compared to now.  Even when there we guns the action wasn't very violent because it wasn't very realistic and bodies usually disappeared pretty quickly.  So they might be E10+.  They should get them all rated properly, sure, but unless you can get Japanese games like Fist Of The North Star or Sega Genesis games like Splatterhouse, the early North American Nintendo library is mostly all right.

I'm sure it's the exceptions people are worried about, not the "okay" part but there are so few of them more violent than stomping on baddies that between all those gamers in the gaming industry someone would probably remember to red-flag all those particularly nastier ones first, not that they'd make the assumption of Es all across anyway.  And they could always hold off on releasing games until they're fully checked out by the ESRB.  Nintendo could even use that as an excuse when in reality they're spacing out the good (re)releases to maintain interest in the system.  I don't expect full download availability at launch, that's for sure.

The problem is that games are usually submitted to the ESRB by the developers themselves, don't they?  Whether they do or not, SOMEbody's hands are going to be full checking and playing...all...those...retro...games...  >_>  Hmmm...

Give me some proper ESRB training and I'll take the job!  (I may need training because when those baddies throw bottles at me in Bubble Bobble, should I take that as "Reference to alcohol use" or not?)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 08:39:03 PM »
Playing? The ESRB doesn't play, it watches a video. Compare that to the USK which requires a complete playthrough as a part of the rating process.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 05:00:26 AM »
well many of the SNES games late in its life did in fact have esrb ratings so those games will be covered, its just the ones before the esrb came out and nes games that are up in the air, but as far as all that goes, Doom for SNES had a M rating but if it came out today would get T because the blood is fake looking and the graphics are so blurry it hurts.

MK 1 would be teen cuz the blood was removed and its just a straight fighting game, MK 2 and beyown were allready rated by ESRB as they were the ones that sparked the thing in the first place. I dont think very many SNES or even NES games woudl get T rating though and very few will get M rated none I can think of for NES but a couple on SNES that came out before the ratings system.

Also what about the games rated K-A nobody ever uses that rating anymore so will those games be re-rated or will it stick?

Also someone already said something about parental controls so I am sure that will come into play.

We can also take SNES and NES to GBA ports to get an idea, whatever the ports are rated the DL should be the same.

"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 08:23:01 AM »
didn't the SNES version of MK have the blood code in it like the Genesis version had? ABACABB if I'm not mistaken

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 08:29:39 AM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz
didn't the SNES version of MK have the blood code in it like the Genesis version had? ABACABB if I'm not mistaken
You are correct about the Genesis code.

However, there is no blood code for the SNES version.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 08:30:15 AM »
I don't think MK had a blood code for the Super NES.  Fairly sure it didn't.

Those insecure junior high days when everyone was saying the Super NES version sucked, just because of the lack of blood (and as a consequence, strange-looking or altogether altered Fatalities).  *sigh*  Not good times, junior high.  Everyone trying to be cool and dissing anyone who wasn't trying as hard.  And apparently blood = INSTANT LIQUID COOL.  Kind of like today's "running over prostitutes in stolen vehicles".

I'm pretty sure the Super NES versions of a lot of games at the time, including Mortal Kombat, looked better when compared to possible Genesis versions.  More colours in the Super NES's palette and stuff.  But just because there was blood, MK for Genesis = win, apparently.

I'm pretty sure K-A is the equivalent of E.  If there were some slightly more intense K-A games, or even E games, they might slap an E10+ on them now.  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 03:38:18 PM »
I wonder if, say, the SNES MK could be edited for a Revolution release with blood edited back in (and a higher rating or something)...

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 07:42:21 PM »
Well not entirely true, I had BOTH versions, SNES and Genesis and the Genesis versiosn graphcis were BETTER than SNES, just SNES had more stuff in backgrounds. There was no Blood code for SNES, but if yo had a Game Genie you could turn the sweat red but it didnt trun the fatalities back cuz the game code was changed. The Sega Genesis and SNES had nearly identical graohics proscessors, just SNES had more colors, Genesis actualy had higher resolution and bigger sprites and faster processor.

I have both systems and have SEVERAL games for both systems and there so similar you really cant tell them a part most times. The best version of Mortal Kombat 1 so far is for Sega CD, have that too But i did notice MK 1 on SNES had more osudns taht were missing form Genesi version but Genesis version had the original bios and SNES were changed and looked bad. Also Forgot that Genesis version ahs secret characters not in SNES versions. If you cant tell I am HUGE Mortal Kombat fan and try to get every copy of teh game I can get!

HEY! speaking of Game Genie, I wonder if Nintendo is going to let you download those for NES/SNEs also, that would rock! except they hated Game Genie though. I was just thinkng of like how the emulators on the net do.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 08:37:53 PM »
I could be wrong, but I do expect Action Reply could possibly act as a Game Genie for the retro games.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 08:50:20 PM »
animecyberrat - I believe the biggest advantage the SNES had over the Genesis was that it had a dedicated sound-chip, so the ~7Mhz CPU didn't have to break a sweat over it.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 09:16:35 PM »
true but I was talkin graphics.  But that doesnt make it better Genesis had good sounds too, just slightly muffled sometimes.

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 04:48:26 AM »
Actually, I had both the SNES and Genesis MK titles.  The SNES had significantly better graphics and sound.  The Genesis had the gore and it sold.  The poor SNES animations were reduced to lame "Fatalities".

NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 07:40:35 AM »
Kinda like a PC game, play it on high and you might miss out on some details, because you cant run high on max
run it on medium and everything is on max, feels smoother
same kinda thing for mk for consoles, snes was more detailed but wasnt as smooth

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 07:05:56 PM »
I have both versions rigth now, play them sid eby side, teh graphics are exactly the saem, theonly difference is teh backgrounds have more details on SNES characters and such are IDENTICAL. SNES had 2 differences form Genesis, Subzero was a slight green tint in Genesis due to lack of colors and Jonny Cage "green fireball' was silver same reason.

The ONLY levels that BG images were different were the COurtyard and Pit and Goros lair. Courtyard had water falls and mountains on SNES Genesis has sky and clouds. Pit had mountain in BG SNES but was missing form Genesis. Goros lair had all the bones in the correct plaes on SNES where Genesis had just 1 skeloton and some bones were smaller in scale and not as clear to see.

The Jonny Cage fireball was green on SNES and Sub Zero was dark blue like arcades. Genesis versions had all the background music and soudn effects and MOST voices the only voices it was missing were the characters names and FAtatlity and Finish HER, Finsih HIM was said out load but HER was not.  The Sega Genesis version had some BG music files remixed to more techno sound than SNES which had more oriental sound.
Genesis version had teh Oroginal FMV seguences form arcade but in stillimages instead of motion, SNES had a green BG with teh characters doing thie finish stance, totaly different. SNES changed the bios and endings to use charcters images form fight select screan,m Genesi had original arcade images.

Also SNES had Reptile but he wasnt programed the same and was harder to get to, Genesis not only ahd Reptile but also teh Green SOny which was NOT in SNES version.

Genesis also had the DULLARD code which allowed many things to be changed, some were cheats others were just fancy options. SNES had NOTHING extra. The only voices it had that Gensesis didnt have weer the characters names at character select and Finish HER and Raidens yekk when he torpedos.

Genesis had ALL the soudn effects except some bone crunching sound and screams for fataloities. SNES was also misisng these same fx and screams as fatalitiew were altered.

Gnesis had the toned down fatailities and teh bloody ones too, which doubled the number of fatalities effectivly adding more content to teh game

BOTH versions ahd different ending form arcade ut Genesis was longer and had more animations than SNES version, which just ahd Shang TSing lsoing his souls and running the credits, GEnesis had Tsung burst into flames and then had each character flip onto and off screan when actors name was called. then goro was displayed and then credits were rolled. Both versions had identical to arcade Specila stages (test your might) and both versions had all the same layout except SNES had options to adjust yoru heath meter and Gensis had Very Easy, Easy, Medium, Hard and very hard and also number of credits, SNES didnt let you adjust credits.

I have over analized EVERY version of these games and if you play teh Genesis version you DO get more content than SNEs version plus you get extras not in teh arcade and you get bsicaly equal graphics.

SNES had some enhanced BG images and tahtw as it. Both versions even had the 2 player battle VS screan which was removed from the Genesis in MK 2.

I will say again I have both versiosn now as did when both were new and GENESIS was the HANDS DOWN better versions, only thing SNES had was a few voices and some Bg images. colors werent that big a dela becaus eonly a hadnfull of colros were even noticably different.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2006, 02:01:39 AM »
MK sucks anyway so why argue over that?

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2006, 05:11:35 AM »
Well, I like MK, especially II, Trilogy, and the later 2 3D games.  But you're right, the thread seems to have taken on that direction...  But weren't most of them after the ESRB rating system put in place?  Like II and up?  So only the first one (if that), and however few pre-Mortal Kombat gory games is a concern.

I suppose it's possible for them to go back and put blood in the first MK game but then we might end up having developers going back into their old games and changing things.  If they change them for the better, fine, but it'll probably mean more trouble for someone like the ESRB if they feel the changes will change the rating.  And things they don't, like editing the Engrish out of Metal Gear ("I FEEL ASLEEP!", "THE TRUCK HAVE STARTED TO MOVE", etc.) might piss off some purists or something.