Author Topic: Tecmo as a Rev Developer  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Tecmo as a Rev Developer
« on: February 14, 2006, 04:52:19 AM »
I just got my hands on Monster Rancher 4 for keeps this time.  It's great.  In fact I like most of the entries into the series for different reasons.  They are all different with the same core.  Train monsters, battle in tournaments, proceed on.  I always thought that this would be an interesting series to go to Nintendo consoles.  The fit seems to be there.  For the people who liked Pokemon but would have preferred more control.  But for one obvious reason it has never came.  This is going to require a little explanation.

See in Monster Rancher you unlock Monsters by either stone tablets found in the game, combining monsters, or (and this is the biggest way) getting them from DVD's, CD's, and other games.  Since the Cube had no support for different media this limitted what it would be able to make Monsters from.  Now with the Rev DVD has been confirmed.  Even if you must have an attachment to play it straight I'm fairly sure that developers wouldn't need it to access the contents to say generate a monster perhaps.  What would be even cooler is if you could use your Virtual Console games to generate monstesr as well.

I mean you can see why I would want them to develope for the Revolution but seriously enough they have some franchise that would fill some holes.  Looking through there site they now tend to make more, I'll use adult, games.  Games for an older Demographic than G.

In short I think it would be a cool idea, plus they have a long history of game developement that would benefit from being available on the Virtual Console.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Tecmo as a Rev Developer
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 08:42:04 AM »
Tecmo has franchises other than Monster Rancher.  Though I thought the whole "Unlock your disc" thing where it reads any CD or DVD (ah, a good use for coasters!) was actually kind of neat.  It reminds me of the days where I cut out UPCs for use with Barcode Battler, only less clumsy.  It really didn't stand a chance against Pokémon, though.

Ninja Gaiden...well, I can't speak for the recent Xbox games.  I always liked the original games, and one of my friends who also remembers those games would always cheer on Hayabusa when we played DoA2 but I personally think he looked like crap.  Ninjas ought to wear more pyjamas and less jewelry.  A rerelease of the trilogy on the GBA or DS would be nice, or new games based on the similar platforming gameplay.

The Dead or Alive series I guess is all right for a fighting game, but it seems to be getting overshadowed by its own overt sexiness.  Eeew, Kasumi is overrated...but I digress.  I heard that they were all gung ho for the Xbox because they supposedly support whoever's the best, technically.  (I think it was actually just 'cause DoA couldn't compete on the Dreamcast and PS2 since there are many other fighting games on those consoles.  And the jiggly boobs seemed to do well with the teens with insecurities who would more likely buy a tough-looking Xbox than the cute GameCube or the follow-the-crowd PS2.)  But if they were supporting the best on a technical level you'd wonder if they are preparing to jump ship to the PS3.

Like any developer probably thinks, if the Revolution is popular enough and the controller is worth making a game with it in mind, then there's always the possibility.

With overly sexy DoA girls and a one-handed "Revmote"...no, it's too easy, I won't say it.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Tecmo as a Rev Developer
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 08:52:55 AM »
Tecmo is a pretty smart publisher and I would love their support on the Rev.  They'll never bring Monster Rancher though because that goes against what makes them smart.  Team Ninja is a big deal on the Xbox because of DOA and Ninja Gaiden.  Part of the reason for this is that they stand out.  They're one of the few Japanese devs on the system.  Ninja Gaiden is unique on the Xbox where it doesn't have Devil May Cry to compete with.  DOA stands out on the Xbox because there aren't any other big fighters to compete with.  Tecmo can make a game that doesn't quite deserve it a classic because of the platform it's released on.

So releasing Monster Rancher on the Rev makes no sense because the whole point of Monster Rancher was to provide a Pokemon-like game to an audience that didn't have access to Pokemon.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 08:55:34 AM »
I know it's just the one I'm most familar with.  Also on that one-handed remote thing.  You know after typing it out I must admit its a little far to go right now.

Edit:  Ian was writing when I wrote this so I'll just edit this.  

Actually for historical accuracy sake it was Tomagotchi that it was orignal based off of.  Luckily for everyone the Second ine changed it to really de-emphasize that part.  I will admit that Pokemon and Monster Rancher are similar.  But I personally beleive that there is more similarity between the Megamans with Megaman.exe and Pokemon.  Then there was that exact clone on the GBA that used robots instead.  (Ok maybe not exact but close enough.)  I personally beleive with the success of Harvest Moon series and Animal Crossing that Monster Ranch could fair well if launched in a position between those major releases, during a draught time.  (More like not within 4 months either way of Pokemon Rev, though with the current track record of console Pokemon games it might actual help it to release near it...)  Also the tongue and cheekness of the whole game would be a welcome edition.  None of the monster descriptions are ever really that serious plus even the cartooniest (word?) one, 3, looks good and has it's fair share of just plain cool monsters.  Though that is my perspective and I'm fairly sure that Tecmo probably sees it more like you do.  That being said... Ninja Gaiden could make use of the controller I beleive but I haven't played the new version so I can't speak as an authority on the subject.  If someone who has played the new X-Box one would like to pipe in and give there impression whether the extra control would benefit it please feel free.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
RE:Tecmo as a Rev Developer
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 09:06:35 AM »
Actually the reason that DoA and Ninja Gaiden didn't show up on the PS2 is because Itagaki hates Sony. Sony did some BSing to Itagaki and in the end wound up really pissing him off thats why Team Ninja dropped all support for the Playstation after the DoA2: Hardcore was released. Not sure if time has healed the wounds yet but thats the reason why Ninja Gaiden, DoA3 and DoA:XBV never made it to the PS2. Infact Ninja Gaiden was originally planed for the PS2 but was scrapped and moved to the Xbox.

Team Ninja works pretty much out side the rest of Tecmo. They do what they want to do and they will go exclusive if they want to. Tecmo really has no say in how they work. I'm not sure how Itagaki thinks of Nintendo, I wouldn't be surprised if he sees Nintendo as being to childish and thats why their games have never made it over to the GameCube, but who knows that might be getting ready to change, Team Ninja is working on a couple DS games and Itagaki even joked around/hinted at the idea of Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball on the DS.

Oh You did forget one of my favioret Tecmo series Fatal Frame. One of the best Horror games out there. That game as scaried me a whole lot more then any of the Resident Evils.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 09:09:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Tecmo is a pretty smart publisher and I would love their support on the Rev.  They'll never bring Monster Rancher though because that goes against what makes them smart.  Team Ninja is a big deal on the Xbox because of DOA and Ninja Gaiden.  Part of the reason for this is that they stand out.  They're one of the few Japanese devs on the system.  Ninja Gaiden is unique on the Xbox where it doesn't have Devil May Cry to compete with.  DOA stands out on the Xbox because there aren't any other big fighters to compete with.  Tecmo can make a game that doesn't quite deserve it a classic because of the platform it's released on.

I've played all 3 Devil May Cry games and Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden wins hands down. The game would have kicked Devil May Cry's butt had it been released on the PS2 like it was orignally planed.

DoA2: Hardcore did sell really well on the PS2, even with the god awful dubbing.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 01:02:04 PM »
I never actually tried any of the console Monster Ranchers, but I absolutely loved the GBA version (Monster Rancher Advance 2, if memory serves).

Personally I think Ninja Gaiden's great, but I'd rather have Fatal Frame... I can picture some neat uses for the controller.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 06:24:31 PM »
A sudden recollection of a Fatal Frame moment made a former GF jump when Samara came out of the TV in the end of "The Ring", not because it was scary then, but because she remembered Fatal Frame from that.

I've never found RE to be particularly scary either, but the games can be a lot of fun. For horrors/thrillers, though Eternal Darkness is still the champ in my book.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 08:26:41 PM »
ED isn't horror, there's nothing to fear. As opposed to the Project Zero games where there is a LOT to fear (because it can harm you).

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 08:46:16 PM »

and the jiggly boobs seemed to do well with the teens with insecurities who would more likely buy a tough-looking Xbox than the cute GameCube or the follow-the-crowd PS2.)

I never understood this. The Xbox is like a big, burly, man. Liking xbox means liking men. And yet Gamecube is the 'ghey' system.

What? Oh, yeah, Tecmo for the rev would be cool.  
edit: hey, whaddya know? Ceric must be psychic.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon